AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1376 of 1568)
Page / 1568
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

Pretty sure that Air Force and they are just weird.

Also pretty sure that's a DD upper.  
View Quote

I think youre right judging by the polymer dust cover.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Soopreme:

View Quote
Just like Air Force retro clones.  Slap anything you want on it and its still correct.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
Just like Air Force retro clones.  Slap anything you want on it and its still correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
Originally Posted By Soopreme:

If that's a cloner he really took it to the next level building his own Osprey for photo-shoots
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:13:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#4]
Mod 0 guys, I just listed two PEQ-2's in the EE
Edit: Never mind, I guess we can't list FP lasers on here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My wrist has been enjoying not using the A2 lol

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Spring, Helical, Compression 5360-01-233-8617 PN 9390022 (standard carbine)
Buffer, Assembly, Recoil       1005-01-522-0772 PN 13004468 (H2)

Source SW370-A8-TRS-10 Rev 03
Technical Repair Standard for Carbine, 5.56mm, M4A1 with Upper Receiver Group (URG)
September 2016

CD
View Quote

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, why is it that so many people on here use an H3 with a non-mil spec spring? The testing has already been done for us with the H2.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By StowaNewb:

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, why is it that so many people on here use an H3 with a non-mil spec spring? The testing has already been done for us with the H2.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StowaNewb:
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Spring, Helical, Compression 5360-01-233-8617 PN 9390022 (standard carbine)
Buffer, Assembly, Recoil       1005-01-522-0772 PN 13004468 (H2)

Source SW370-A8-TRS-10 Rev 03
Technical Repair Standard for Carbine, 5.56mm, M4A1 with Upper Receiver Group (URG)
September 2016

CD

Thank you!

I think you'll find most in this thread run an H2 and a standard strength spring; at least that used to be the case. Of the broader Arfcom population, I'd say it's mostly out of a desire to "upgrade" something, whether it needs it or not. Also the "conventional wisdom" of running the heaviest possible buffer that will still lock back.

That said, there is nothing wrong with an H3 necessarily; it'll work just fine, and makes for a soft shooting gun with a .070" gas port. I used an H3 for quite a while; however, once I started getting more serious about my split times and follow up shot speed, I ditched the H3 for an H2. The H2 has a slightly sharper rearward recoil impulse, but the H3 causes more muzzle dip. I still prefer the "feel" of the H3, but you can only control recoil in one direction at a time, so I'd rather a sharper rearward impulse than more muzzle dip that I can't counter effectively.

As far as springs, I use the Damage Industries "enhanced" springs, which are standard strength (I prefer CS springs for longevity). I've got nearly 17k on one of them and it's still going strong... pretty great product for $5. I see no good reason to run an increased power spring in a CQBR (and, again, increased return force is likely to equal increased muzzle dip).
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

To my bros using a lanco/b5/truenorth gripstop, what have you found to be the best rail cover for the little section in front of it? Its a little unrefined with nothing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:56:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlasherMcGee] [#9]

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261626/20200811_204450_jpg-1542502.JPG

To my bros using a lanco/b5/truenorth gripstop, what have you found to be the best rail cover for the little section in front of it? Its a little unrefined with nothing.
View Quote

the lancos are much longer.  throw some dd/ergo ladder panels there maybe?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I'd snag a cheap stand-in for the meantime and grab a Colt the next time they pop up. I refuse to give AU money.
View Quote

I'm the same way now... From selling Expanse Lowers as Colt M4's, to selling non C marked BCG's, to doubling the price on ambi safeties, I'm done with AU.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 762hunter2:
Just got a call that my stamp came in for my Surefire RC2. 6 months from check getting cashed to stamp arriving at dealer on a SilencerShop single shot trust.

Ready to get this thing suppressed again and not with a sandman s
https://ibb.co/Nyy8xVP
View Quote

I really don't understand ATF timelines... I'm at 16 months on a Thunderbeast for my bolt-action.  Both my RC and Ops Inc cans took about 12-13 months a few years back.  I actually stopped by the shop today just to make sure there wasn't some mistake and they forgot to call me or something :(.  They gave me the 800 no to call but said they generally won't tell you anything other than "in progress"...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mra4523:
What Surefire Scout light is everyone opting for. I can't stomach the idea of waiting to find an insight pop up and then throw down $700-1000 for one. Just curious if folks are opting for 600 series or the 300 series?
View Quote

300 for me as well, in a Larue mount, not sure if kosher but seems like most Larue items you do see ITW here and here...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all on the Surefire suggestions. I was thinking the 600 as it seemed a lot slimmer, but it's always nice to see the options mounted on rifles to help the decisions. Next order of business, does anyone want to talk me out of the Elcan SpecterDR 1-4. I've been thinking EXPS3-0 with the G33 magnifier, but a buddy was talking to me about difficulty using red dots with astigmatisms. Could be nonsense, but it's worth asking as I have an astigmatism in both eyes. Is the extra cost on the Specter worth it from a multifaceted standpoint? Thoughts.......
View Quote

Agree with previous poster, it depends...  Personally it bugs the heck out of me, red dots flare and EoTech is just a fuzzy mess.  
But if you put a G33 behind an Eotech, you can adjust the diopter and clean it up... but it's just a heavy setup.  Other option of course is the Elcan, which can get spend and are also heavy.  Plus there's the whole "reticle does it shift/does it not shift" controversy that seems to hanging around.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:33:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#15]

I am probably out of the loop, is that a Vortex PST Gen II 1-6 LPVO?  Thus ITW good?

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Catching up on thread, been out of pocket for a bit... Glad I got a couple Gen Juan's back in the day and can avoid the drama :).
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]
For those grip stop user out there? How would you compare it to the KAG or even an AFG? Those are my two go twos but looking for a little more purchase than the KAG offers for the CQBR.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
For those grip stop user out there? How would you compare it to the KAG or even an AFG? Those are my two go twos but looking for a little more purchase than the KAG offers for the CQBR.
View Quote

Less bulky than the afg and allows a more vertical grip for shorter rails. I like it the best out of everything I've tried.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Agree with previous poster, it depends...  Personally it bugs the heck out of me, red dots flare and EoTech is just a fuzzy mess.  
But if you put a G33 behind an Eotech, you can adjust the diopter and clean it up... but it's just a heavy setup.  Other option of course is the Elcan, which can get spend and are also heavy.  Plus there's the whole "reticle does it shift/does it not shift" controversy that seems to hanging around.
View Quote

Ah yes, I suppose with anything in life theres tradeoffs. I took a look through the Eotech at a local dealer, didn't care much for the red dot in itself. I found it to be certainly serviceable. When putting the magnifier on I found it even worse to me. Just felt like a short fix on the magnifier. Almost like something someone just thought about doing one day since there was no better option. I believe, for me at least, there is a better option. It happens to be a pain in the ass to find $2200-2500 Elcan SpecterDr. Options are expensive these days.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Ah yes, I suppose with anything in life theres tradeoffs. I took a look through the Eotech at a local dealer, didn't care much for the red dot in itself. I found it to be certainly serviceable. When putting the magnifier on I found it even worse to me. Just felt like a short fix on the magnifier. Almost like something someone just thought about doing one day since there was no better option. I believe, for me at least, there is a better option. It happens to be a pain in the ass to find $2200-2500 Elcan SpecterDr. Options are expensive these days.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Through DVOR they can be had for 1700 and some change. Not sure if they're in stock right now or if theres a sale so YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Through DVOR they can be had for 1700 and some change. Not sure if they're in stock right now or if theres a sale so YMMV.
View Quote

damn even for the SU-230?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#22]

damn even for the SU-230?
View Quote

su-230 mil marked units are not sold publicly

the only way your going to get that is 2nd hand, and they run $1900-2400 depending on condition. most of the SU marked models (at least newer ones) are HD marked
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

su-230 mil marked units are not sold publicly

the only way your going to get that is 2nd hand, and they run $1900-2400 depending on condition. most of the SU marked models (at least newer ones) are HD marked
View Quote

what do you mean by HD marked?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#24]

what do you mean by HD marked?
View Quote

internal components and some external attachment points are beefed up to handle higher recoil and abuse. there is a "HD" after the serial number that notes its the upgraded model.

to my knowledge the commercial variants are not HD models.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#25]

internal components and some external attachment points are beefed up to handle higher recoil and abuse. there is a "HD" after the serial number that notes its the upgraded model.

View Quote

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, has anyone ever done any business with G&P Armory. I've seen them pop up here and there on the hide. I was looking to pick up something from them, but they don't have a website only an Instagram. Obvious caution insists that I ask first.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Current production Civ/Commercial Elcans all have "HD" components, they are just not marked accordingly. You can tell as the Windage adjustment rod has been beefed up and is visibly larger.
Older Su230s with either 10 or 11 series serial numbers typically have smaller adjustment rods, in some cases were upgraded to the beefier adjustment rod after the fact.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#27]
B5 Gen 1 SOPMOD Gov, Black arrived from Brownells today. Turns out the tracking # they included in the email was not the correct one. Explains why I was still seeing Awaiting Shipment on USPS's website when in fact it was out for delivery today. In any case, fitment is nearly identical to my past LMT Gen 1 SOPMOD buttstocks. No slop or wiggle at all when installed on a Colt 4-position buffer tube, and slides on with minimal effort.

And yes, my Insight dual button remote is currently without a host. Saving for a WMX200. #paywithcash #staydebtfree #kidscostalot

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I would love to splice a SureFire connector into an Insight switch but unfortunately my soldering-iron skills end at plugging it into a wall outlet
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
B5 Gen 1 SOPMOD Gov, Black arrived from Brownells today. Turns out the tracking # they included in the email was not the correct one. Explains why I was still seeing Awaiting Shipment on USPS's website when in fact it was out for delivery today. In any case, fitment is nearly identical to my past LMT Gen 1 SOPMOD buttstocks. No slop or wiggle at all when installed on a Colt 4-position buffer tube, and slides on with minimal effort.

And yes, my Insight dual button remote is currently without a host. Saving for a WMX200. #paywithcash #staydebtfree #kidscostalot

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50219588182_67c184d255_c.jpg
View Quote

I felt that #kidscostalot on a spiritual level. Sweet rig man
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#30]

I felt that #kidscostalot on a spiritual level. Sweet rig man
View Quote

Thanks man, I was hoping that would resonate with someone and I'm not the only one short on cash for their hobby. Got one son starting community college and pursuing trauma medicine and the other son in high school who will start driving soon. Jimminy! Life is expensive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Current production Civ/Commercial Elcans all have "HD" components, they are just not marked accordingly. You can tell as the Windage adjustment rod has been beefed up and is visibly larger.
Older Su230s with either 10 or 11 series serial numbers typically have smaller adjustment rods, in some cases were upgraded to the beefier adjustment rod after the fact.
https://i.imgur.com/RPGGZaNh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/L3VyJ2W.jpg
View Quote

So essentially if you buy a CIVI one it has all the latest and greatest bells and whistles but just isn't SU marked?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By allensaldi:

So essentially if you buy a CIVI one it has all the latest and greatest bells and whistles but just isn't SU marked?
View Quote

Following this response because the hell with a 500 buck premium for a model designation number
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Following this response because the hell with a 500 buck premium for a model designation number
View All Quotes

Are you sure you're in the right thread
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
I would love to splice a SureFire connector into an Insight switch but unfortunately my soldering-iron skills end at plugging it into a wall outlet
View Quote

Wire nuts.

I can solder pretty well, but making the cable not look 'tarded is where my skills end.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I figured I’d exercise pseudo fiscal responsibility in 1 component of the build. Everything else has been to the limit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#36]

I figured I’d exercise pseudo fiscal responsibility in 1 component of the build. Everything else has been to the limit.
View All Quotes

"Never half-ass 2 things. Whole-ass 1 thing." - Someone who's name I can't remember right now.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Wire nuts.

I can solder pretty well, but making the cable not look 'tarded is where my skills end.
View Quote

Shrink tubing can pertty up some ugly soldering jobs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Correct, with the exception of the reticle.

Su230s have a finer/cleaner crosshair BDC and has ranging starting at 200m and a more open targeting point at 700-1000m. (for M249s)
Civi models have a thicker crosshair with ranging starting at 300m. There is also a range estimator on the bottom left for man sized targets.

Don't let the HD designation deter you from picking up an older Elcan/Su. Unless its going on a beltfed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

View All Quotes

Wire nuts.

Right. The "problem" is how short the cable is. You run out of room REALLY quick with some kind of termination on each end. I'd be able to do it all up, but it wouldn't be as clean as the factory got it. That would bug my OCD even though I know it would work perfectly well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Right. The "problem" is how short the cable is. You run out of room REALLY quick with some kind of termination on each end. I'd be able to do it all up, but it wouldn't be as clean as the factory got it. That would bug my OCD even though I know it would work perfectly well.
View All Quotes

Wire nuts.

Of course mine would likely have the winning combination of looking like hell and not working
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Of course mine would likely have the winning combination of looking like hell and not working
View All Quotes

Wire nuts.

Simple circuit...2 wires, a switch, and the light. Might be polarity sensitive if you're running LED, but that's easy enough to test for before making your connections.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Simple circuit...2 wires, a switch, and the light. Might be polarity sensitive if you're running LED, but that's easy enough to test for before making your connections.
View Quote

The way it flows through the switch shouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: allensaldi] [#43]

View Quote

Double Tap
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Correct, with the exception of the reticle.

Su230s have a finer/cleaner crosshair BDC and has ranging starting at 200m and a more open targeting point at 700-1000m. (for M249s)
Civi models have a thicker crosshair with ranging starting at 300m. There is also a range estimator on the bottom left for man sized targets.

Don't let the HD designation deter you from picking up an older Elcan/Su. Unless its going on a beltfed.
View Quote

Or a Scar 17? Just picked up an SU230A/7.62 for my 17, I hope I'm not fucked
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

True. I was just running it through my head like when I used to make custom harnesses for our trailers at an old job, forgot that the power supply is inside the light and already in the circuit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone use the CQD sling mount at the front of the rail instead of the back?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I used to but eventually moved it back towards the receiver end. Feels more controllable when slung up and can spin it around on to my back a bit easier. Every person is different, so play around with it a bit and you'll find what you like.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zakk_Wylde_470] [#48]

I used to but eventually moved it back towards the receiver end. Feels more controllable when slung up and can spin it around on to my back a bit easier. Every person is different, so play around with it a bit and you'll find what you like.
View All Quotes

Hmm, just putting an eyeball on it I don't know if it's gonna work, I feel like it would trap my hand against the rail. Guess we'll know for sure when I get a chance to finalize it next month.

Although just holding the upper it actually makes a nice thumb-stop
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Hmm, just putting an eyeball on it I don't know if it's gonna work, I feel like it would trap my hand against the rail. Guess we'll know for sure when I get a chance to finalize it next month.

https://i.imgur.com/huCjAcB.jpg

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/huCjAcB.jpg

That was another reason why I went to the rear of the rail. I didn't mind the strap being over my hand (it actually made it feel a bit more "locked-in") but it would get in the way when trying to get your hand up there fast.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50219588182_67c184d255_c.jpg
View Quote

This is dope. Love the black NT4 on this.
Page / 1568
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1376 of 1568)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top