BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1544 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone know what clone rifle the EOTech 553 tan model was on?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
View Quote

Mk18
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#3]
View Quote
All of them (within reason)
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

553 is still the best looking Eotech. Peak clone aesthetics.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay thanks.

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot this for the first time today.  I don't know if it was the aftermarket trigger I have in this lower, but it shot like a dream.  And this has a Colt 10.3" barrel vs. the junk 10.5"'s I've done up in the past for these builds.  So maybe it's just gassed right?

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Do any of you happen to have a good line on a Surefire 4 prong?  I should have picked up another on the last wave when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By blindrocket:
Do any of you happen to have a good line on a Surefire 4 prong?  I should have picked up another on the last wave when I had the chance.
View Quote

https://classified-defense.com/surefire--socom-4-prong-flash-hider--12-28.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blindrocket] [#9]
Thank you, Kentucky

It’s so nice that these are rather easily available nowadays.  

I also got an email from Brownells stating MK18 uppers were in stock and on sale.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you, Kentucky

I also got an email from Brownells stating MK18 uppers were in stock and on sale.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Yea must be nice, same with the ris 2 rail
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Nice, needed a couple.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NewCo32] [#14]

I saw those uppers at Brownells as well.  Are they GTG?  I've read some have pinned GBs and some don't  Just curious...  I'm thinking about picking one up.

Let me rephrase that actually... is it a big deal if the GB is not pinned?  I honestly have never had an issue with them not being that way.  Just seems the questions and reviews on the product were pretty adamant about it.

Seems like $799 is a good price.  But I don't know much about clones.  Just learning recently...

TIA.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NewCo32:

I saw those uppers at Brownells as well.  Are they GTG?  I've read some have pinned GBs and some don't  Just curious...  I'm thinking about picking one up.

Let me rephrase that actually... is it a big deal if the GB is not pinned?  I honestly have never had an issue with them not being that way.  Just seems the questions and reviews on the product were pretty adamant about it.

Seems like $799 is a good price.  But I don't know much about clones.  Just learning recently...

TIA.
View Quote
Clone correct would be unpinned and with a colt 10.3" barrel with .070 gas port. DD barrels have been used though, so they are technically correct as well. I believe un-pinned is the correct way, but if you're not too concerned about how "correct" it is, then pinned is fine. If I'm off with my info someone that may know more current info should be along to correct my info.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#16]

TIA.
View Quote

Depends on type of Mk18 you're wanting.  

Mk18 Mod 0 with 10.3" and FSB, the FSB will be pinned with taper pins.

Mk18 Mod 1, will have NO pinning on a 10.3" bbl.  Dimples on barrel, 2 set screws in Low profile gas block and locktite down.  Torqued to proper specs of course.

CD
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks fellas.  Solid info.  Exactly what I was looking for.  

Much appreciated.  

Not sure what Mod I want to go with yet.  More research...  But for me that's the fun part too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Just remember, 10.3 > 10.5
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Much appreciated.  

Not sure what Mod I want to go with yet.  More research...  But for me that's the fun part too.
View Quote
When I said unpinned, I was referring to the low pro gas block as I assumed you referring to a block 2 or mod1.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTrover] [#20]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Mk18 Mod 1, will have NO pinning on a 10.3" bbl.  Dimples on barrel, 2 set screws in Low profile gas block and locktite down.  Torqued to proper specs of course.

CD
View Quote

CD,

what's the torque specks on the low profile gas block set screws? Second, what tool do you prefer to use to achieve torque spec?

what locktite do you use?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RTrover:

CD,

what's the torque specks on the low profile gas block set screws? Second, what tool do you prefer to use to achieve torque spec?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

CD

CD,

The information I've recored from CD's postings is as follows.

KAC NT4 flash hider, time with shims having center slot at 12 o'clock at 20 ft-lbs, remove apply Rocksett to barrel threads, torque 20 to 30 ft-lbs.

Surefire SOCOM flash hider, time bottom lug with shims at 25 lb-ft, remove, apply Rocksett to barrel threads, torque 25 to 30 ft-lbs.

Do not exceed 30 ft-lbs as barrel can be damaged.

DD MK18 RIS II barrel nut torque with grease - 55 ft-lbs

MK12 gas block set screws - one drop of Loctite 243 per screw, torque to 25 in-lbs ( there is a certain screw first and then the other in an order I didn't record).

I think it is rear screw first, as it is under the gas port, but that might be reversed for some reason.

DD RIS II mounting bolts, 5/32" hex socket, one drop Loctite 243 per bolt, torque 6 bolts in alternating pattern to 30 in-lbs.

https://danieldefense.com/media/asset/r/i/ris_ii_instructions.pdf
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:

KAC NT4 flash hider, time with shims having center slot at 12 o'clock at 20 ft-lbs, remove apply Rocksett to barrel threads, torque 20 to 30 ft-lbs.

Surefire SOCOM flash hider, time bottom lug with shims at 25 lb-ft, remove, apply Rocksett to barrel threads, torque 25 to 30 ft-lbs.

MK12 gas block set screws - one drop of Loctite 243 per screw, torque to 25 in-lbs ( there is a certain screw first and then the other in an order I didn't record).

I think it is rear screw first, as it is under the gas port, but that might be reversed for some reason.

DD RIS II mounting bolts, 5/32" hex socket, one drop Loctite 243 per bolt, torque 6 bolts in alternating pattern to 30 in-lbs.

View Quote

Thanks for posting that ASC

Installing Gas Block/Gas Tube Assembly.
Gas block should slide freely until making contact with barrel shoulder.
Insert setscrew into forward set screw hole of gas block
Apply one drop of Thread-Lock Blue 243 into rear setscrew hole and insert setscrew.
Using 3/32-inch hex wrench, tighten rear setscrew.
Using 1/4-inch drive in-lb torque wrench and 3/32-inch hex head socket, torque rear setscrew to 25 in-lb.
Using 3/32-inch hex wrench, remove forward setscrew.
Apply one drop of Thread-Lock Blue 243 into forward setscrew hole and insert setscrew.
Using 3/32-inch hex wrench, tighten forward setscrew hand-tight.
Using 1/4-inch drive in-lb torque wrench and 3/32-inch hex head socket, torque forward setscrew to 25 in-lb.

CD

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Apply one drop of Thread-Lock Blue 243 into rear setscrew hole and insert setscrew.
Using 1/4-inch drive in-lb torque wrench and 3/32-inch hex head socket, torque rear setscrew to 25 in-lb.
Apply one drop of Thread-Lock Blue 243 into forward setscrew hole and insert setscrew.
Using 1/4-inch drive in-lb torque wrench and 3/32-inch hex head socket, torque forward setscrew to 25 in-lb.

CD

View All Quotes

CD

Great, now I can record the gas block set screw sequence.

Thanks CD.

I made a copy of the URGI installation instructions too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks Gents!

I’m going to use this info and build my running estimate. What grease do you use for the barrel? I have Locktite copper infused anti ceasing grease that I used on my lower receiver extension. Not sure if that is milspec though.

I am slowly making my way through the post on this thread, but there is quite a bit of info to go through.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Gents!

I’m going to use this info and build my running estimate. What grease do you use for the barrel? I have Locktite copper infused anti ceasing grease that I used on my lower receiver extension. Not sure if that is milspec though.

I am slowly making my way through the post on this thread, but there is quite a bit of info to go through.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff!
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#27]
Thanks Gents!

View Quote

The military specifies a synthetic aviation moly grease for aircraft landing gear.

I use a synthetic extreme pressure, EP grease that has moly, though not quite as much as the aviation grease, and it is the same thickness grade as the aviation grease.

Let me look at the can and I post later, the exact grease I use for the barrel nut threads on the upper and I used it inside the upper where the barrel extension inserts into the upper.

Not a lot of grease is needed.

Before the military used aviation synthetic grease, Moly-Kote G grease was used.

Today Moly-Kote G-N is available, but I don't know the difference.

A grease without graphite is desired with aluminum.

Torque three times to 30 ft-lbs before final torquing.

Moly-Kote G-Rapid contains graphite, while Moly-Kote G-N does not.

Edit: The closest substitute for the synthetic aviation grease is, Valvoline Automotive Full Synthetic Moly-Fortified Grease in the gray can for Fords.

It is called the gray Ford grease.

The grade or thickness is NLGI No.2 or Grade 2 or Consistency Number 2.

This very close to aviation grease in grade and only had slightly less moly in it.

The synthetic gray grease from Valvoline comes in a gray can, while non-synthetic gray grease comes in a blue can.

Synthetic NLGI 2 gray with moly is Valvoline part number ‎VV986, for one small tub of grease.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vlv-vv986
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTrover] [#28]

The military specifies a synthetic aviation moly grease for aircraft landing gear.

I use a synthetic automotive wheel bearing grease that has moly, though not quite as much as the aviation grease, and it is the same thickness grade as the aviation grease.

Let me look at the can and I post later, the exact grease I use for the barrel nut threads on the upper and I used it inside the upper where the barrel extension inserts into the upper.

Not a lot of grease is needed.

Before the military used aviation synthetic grease, Moly-Kote G grease was used.

Today Moly-Kote G-N is available, but I don't know the difference.

A grease without graphite is desired with aluminum.

Torque three times to 30 ft-lbs before final torquing.

Moly-Kote G-Rapid contains graphite, while Moly-Kote G-N does not.
View Quote

Shit… https://www.silmid.com/us/lubricants/greases/Nyco-Grease-GN-17-MIL-G-21164D-G-353-in-various-sizes/

$34 per .80 lbs of this stuff!

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Shit… https://www.silmid.com/us/lubricants/greases/Nyco-Grease-GN-17-MIL-G-21164D-G-353-in-various-sizes/

$34 per .80 libs of this stuff!

View Quote

That's in the UK.

How is the shipping on that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#30]

$34 per .80 libs of this stuff!

View Quote

Search AeroShell grease 64.  Believe thats what most use on here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:24:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#31]
Here is 37.5 lbs of AeroShell 64 grease.

https://skygeek.com/5067074.html
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Literally any quality EP Moly works fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#33]
If one were looking at a surplus pelican case that came from Crane and is cut for a MK18 how much would one expect to pay? The cases themselves aren’t exactly cheap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
When I said unpinned, I was referring to the low pro gas block as I assumed you referring to a block 2 or mod1.
View All Quotes

Much appreciated.  

Mod 2 or 1 most likely.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Search AeroShell grease 64.  Believe thats what most use on here.
View Quote

Thanks ASC and CD,

Got the tools I need + grease. Will use shell.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#36]

That's in the UK.

How is the shipping on that?
View Quote

$98 bucks on shipping....
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Literally any quality EP Moly works fine.
View Quote
This.
I bet your local Autozone has STP Moly-Ep grease stocked.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Any lube is better than no lube. It ain't gonna kaboom if you use generic grease.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#39]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#40]
You can teach me to MK18???

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:35:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#41]
Been wanting to clone this one for a while now. Sold off my be Meyers a while ago, so it'll prob be a while before I find one sub $300 lol.

Looks like a ta01nsn with piggyback red dot, but not 100%.

Hoping it’s not airsoft.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
You can teach me to MK18???

https://i.imgur.com/xLBrXVE.jpg
View Quote
SheeeIT IF I find the balls to paint mine imma try to do it just like that

(Hand clapping sounds))
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#43]
KAK makes a Flash hider that looks suspiciously like the 249F
Since they recently announced an NT4 FH replica for cloners, I reckon their BEM replica is meant for the same target market.

https://www.kakindustry.com/1-2-28-4-prong-flash-hider

Been wanting to clone this one for a while now. Sold off my be Meyers a while ago, so it'll prob be a while before I find one sub $300 lol.

Hoping it’s not airsoft.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/82A3BA02-3447-476C-B6B1-3F692D4AB122_jpe-2822655.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Hoping it’s not airsoft.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/82A3BA02-3447-476C-B6B1-3F692D4AB122_jpe-2822655.JPG
View Quote

Correct on Acog.  

Not airsoft.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:36:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#45]
Originally Posted By zodtgr8:
KAK makes a Flash hider that looks suspiciously like the 249F
Since they recently announced an NT4 FH replica for cloners, I reckon their BEM replica is meant for the same target market.

https://www.kakindustry.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/e115a6e7b4eb6dec33741170d4bb9b60/k/a/kakind-4-prong-flash-hider-1.jpg

https://www.kakindustry.com/1-2-28-4-prong-flash-hider

View Quote
Holy hell that is awesome! I'm on it!

Originally Posted By j-dubya1:

Correct on Acog.  

Not airsoft.
View Quote
I wish I could see the red dot. I've got a Jpoint with winged mount as well as a winged doctor mount. If only it were a ta31 I could use this:

it's a later version ta31 su237 so it's more bronze than gold in color.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Once the Form 1 on my H&R lower clears I'm actually going to have something sweet to add to the thread.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
Once the Form 1 on my H&R lower clears I'm actually going to have something sweet to add to the thread.
View Quote
You use a M16A1 lower?  Thats what I used.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Any lube is better than no lube. It ain't gonna kaboom if you use generic grease.
View Quote

Hell, I used ARP assembly lube lol

I honestly have never used lube or grease when torquing a barrel nut until now
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#49]
My mod 0

She's a Brownells A1 lower with an andro upper (BA crane spec 10.3"), and all the mod 0 goodies. I'm actually very pleased with the PA SLX. I took my Comp m3 for my AP5 and figured I could get two PA's for the price of one used comp, so I'm giving it a shot...so far, I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By droys86:
My mod 0

https://i.imgur.com/VKXLl1W.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Vbpt4Vg.jpg

She's a Brownells A1 lower with an andro upper (BA crane spec 10.3"), and all the mod 0 goodies. I'm actually very pleased with the PA SLX. I took my Comp m3 for my AP5 and figured I could get two PA's for the price of one used comp, so I'm giving it a shot...so far, I'm impressed.
View Quote

Why are you hiding the purple with that rail cover!? Let Barney breathe!
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1544 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top