Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 943 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:38:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Shit, might as well get the whole sha-bang for those prices, unless you want to SBR it.

Any word on the barrel profile? Looks like it might be (at least beefier than govt pro) before the gas block in that pic, obviously hard to tell tho

ETA and any idea what manufacturer for BCG?
View Quote
ETA is March, Brownells will have it first.

Previous post about Mid-length and Mil-Spec upper receiver and BCG is correct. I vote Andersons! ;D

I was a little disappointed that just the rail will not be sold at least for now but then I got to crunching some numbers, it's not that much more ridiculous than building a DD Mk18 or M4A1 RIS II. I mean if you figure the rail is roughly $350, the barrel is like $250~275, a good Mil-Spec Colt, FN or DD BCG is $150~175.00, that flash hider is $100~120 plus what ADCO would charge to drill, pin and weld etc. The charging handle, the actually upper receiver etc.

Then figure Brownells always has some discount... I might actually just sell my Colt LE6920 rifle and buy one of those and toss is on my Colt M4A1 lower. Sounds like a "clone" to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Shit, might as well get the whole sha-bang for those prices, unless you want to SBR it.

Any word on the barrel profile? Looks like it might be (at least beefier than govt pro) before the gas block in that pic, obviously hard to tell tho

ETA and any idea what manufacturer for BCG?
View Quote
Pretty sure it's M4 profile.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:53:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#3]
Just re-watched the G MK16 URG-I section of the video, it's definitely a mid-length barrel and it comes with a new version of the G gas block they are calling the Super Compact.

If anyone wants to watch just the Geissele Mk16 URG-I section of the video, it starts at EXACTLY 1:16:00 or 4,560 seconds in! Exact link below...

Geissele Mk16 URG-I Upper Receiver
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely going to grab a stripped upper because pin and welding is gay and I’m going to put a 4 prong on mine. I hope we can get the stealth ACHs separately.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The DDC buffer tube...  
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I will fo hard on that URG-1
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_Marv] [#7]
Love all things G

URGI
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#8]
It looks great, and I'll probably get one, but is anyone getting a hint of deja vu here? Did G just turn into DD overnight? I mean, is there something they inject you with when you get a government contract or is it the water at those contract negotiations... cause all of this sounds strangely familiar.

Rail available, but not available. Want it on a URG? Here you go! Want the rail by itself? No, sorry.
Check.
Are the URGs that said rare and coveted rail is available on overpriced?
Check.
Pricing eerily similar to the pricing structure formerly used by DD?
Check.

I mean, yes... if you break it down using full retail pricing, it isn't awful, but these are the days of DD Mk18 and M4A1 SOCOM URGs for $600. No one has paid full retail for awhile on much of anything. Minus a rail change and the gas length, this isn't all that different from an M4A1 SOCOM URG that is going for $600 with discounts. For all intents and purposes you could say they are the same upper, with a rail that, while new from G, has in previous iterations actually been less expensive than the RIS II. Not saying it doesn't make good business sense, though - especially while the rail is in huge demand.

Assuming a retail on Brownells of $999.99, we can look to pick one up at around $863.99 with discounts. That's a little better...

ETA: Oh, shit. Didn't even look at the link yet. I didn't realize they were already available for pre-order. So, $979... with discounts $845 or so. That's not awful considering it's a new product and will have high demand - assuming they don't exclude it from the next 10% coupon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
Love all things G

URGI
View Quote
I like that they don't plaster their logo all over it like DD and BCM.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

I like that they don't plaster their logo all over it like DD and BCM.
View Quote
Agreed. Just finished watching the live stream. Bill made it sound like it was a military requirement about the markings. He said the 1913 rail is engraved with the T marks
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
The pin and weld option appealed to me when I read 3p but I see it's actually a warcomp. Meh I got sbr lowers I'll just buy a stripped one eventually.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Spooled:
The pin and weld option appealed to me when I read 3p but I see it's actually a warcomp. Meh I got sbr lowers I'll just buy a stripped one eventually.
View Quote
Why does that change it for you? The rumor has been that the WarComp would be the issued URG-1/"block III-ish" MD.

Dooooittttttt!
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Why does that change it for you? The rumor has been that the WarComp would be the issued URG-1/"block III-ish" MD.

Dooooittttttt!
View Quote
I'm just sold on the 3p, call me old fashion but if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess lol.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm just sold on the 3p, call me old fashion but if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Dooooittttttt!
But it literally is an SF3P.....with some extra holes in it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
You know what, your right. You always are right. Without your encouragement my cqbr wouldn't be what it is today. 2 years of your posts between this and the m4a1 b2 thread has definitely made me appreciate the more clone correct life. Guess I need to score one of those colt lowers now and get ready lol!
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]
And just to keep things on topic heres for the pic thread.

I replaced the damn pin in the gas buster again but i am waiting on some new stainless hardened spiral pins to come in to try, hopefully they hold up better than regular roll pins. Also have a Colt barrel sitting waiting to get sent out to ADCO, to replace the chopped DD currently on the gun.

Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#17]
You know what, your right. You always are right. Without your encouragement my cqbr wouldn't be what it is today. 2 years of your posts between this and the m4a1 b2 thread has definitely made me appreciate the more clone correct life. Guess I need to score one of those colt lowers now and get ready lol!
View All Quotes

You give me far too much credit. Most of what I post is 99 percent retardation combined with 1 percent moments of clarity or helpfulness.

Thank you tho bro

I'm still curious who makes this (and especially the issued) BCG. I'm not aware of Geissele being in the MIL-SPEC BCG business, maybe its an un-billboarded DD BCG...
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]

You give me far too much credit. Most of what I post is 99 percent retardation combined with 1 percent moments of clarity or helpfulness.

Thank you tho bro

I'm still curious who makes this (and especially the issued) BCG. I'm not aware of Geissele being in the MIL-SPEC BCG business, maybe its an un-billboarded DD BCG...
View Quote
I was talking to my Geissele all the things friend and we discussed the same thing.

He puts his money on toolcraft for the bcgs, uppers we could only guess.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#20]
LOL too FUNNY!
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
I'm wondering the same thing.

I'd been waiting on the G Mk16 rail.  Looks like I'm getting a complete upper.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#22]
Originally Posted By krdt:
It looks great, and I'll probably get one, but is anyone getting a hint of deja vu here? Did G just turn into DD overnight? I mean, is there something they inject you with when you get a government contract or is it the water at those contract negotiations... cause all of this sounds strangely familiar.

Rail available, but not available. Want it on a URG? Here you go! Want the rail by itself? No, sorry.
Check.
Check.
Check.

I mean, yes... if you break it down using full retail pricing, it isn't awful, but these are the days of DD Mk18 and M4A1 SOCOM URGs for $600. No one has paid full retail for awhile on much of anything. Minus a rail change and the gas length, this isn't all that different from an M4A1 SOCOM URG that is going for $600 with discounts. For all intents and purposes you could say they are the same upper, with a rail that, while new from G, has in previous iterations actually been less expensive than the RIS II. Not saying it doesn't make good business sense, though - especially while the rail is in huge demand.

Assuming a retail on Brownells of $999.99, we can look to pick one up at around $863.99 with discounts. That's a little better...

ETA: Oh, shit. Didn't even look at the link yet. I didn't realize they were already available for pre-order. So, $979... with discounts $845 or so. That's not awful considering it's a new product and will have high demand - assuming they don't exclude it from the next 10% coupon.
View Quote
This is just a guess but I think this is why they are doing it this way.

1) Geissele probably has a contract with .mil for complete upper rec groups.
2) They are cranking out uppers as fast as they can to make sure they have more than enough in inventory to satisfy contract quantity/delivery times with mil.
3) .mil can change its mind about how many they want delivered at any time on a whim while the contractor is totally responsible for making delivery times
4) Therefore you always have to have more than you need just sitting there waiting for gov to take delivery of whatever they want, or risk losing contract.
5) They anticipate having more than enough extra on hand ~ March
6) We start getting delivery of extras based on pre-orders around that time.

Like I said, just a guess, but if true I personally appreciate them offering at least this as soon as possible.

If you want just the rail I say just wait a bit until .mil gets theirs and then keep on asking G. We have asked for lots of stuff in the past from G and most of the time G listens.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]
On the G Mk16 upper, why is the SureFire SOCOM WARCOMP pinned and welded?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By blindrocket:
View Quote
To avoid NFA hassle. 14.5" barrel + SF warcomp puts fixed barrel length past 16"
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

2) They are cranking out uppers as fast as they can to make sure they have more than enough in inventory to satisfy contract quantity/delivery times with mil.
3) .mil can change its mind about how many they want delivered at any time on a whim while the contractor is totally responsible for making delivery times
4) Therefore you always have to have more than you need just sitting there waiting for gov to take delivery of whatever they want, or risk losing contract.

Like I said, just a guess, but if true I personally appreciate them offering at least this as soon as possible.

If you want just the rail I say just wait a bit until .mil gets theirs and then keep on asking G. We have asked for lots of stuff in the past from G and most of the time G listens.
View Quote
They aren't exactly replacing every single M4A1 and Mk18 Upper assy within SOCOM this year, are they?  Look at previous endusers seeing the M4A1 RISII in pics right about when they actually got in the M4A1 FSP rails fielded.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:01:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smitty_007] [#26]
So, this is just for the M4A1 right now, right?  I didn’t see/hear any mention of them selling a Mk18 upper...I may have missed it though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:09:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#27]
I was talking to my Geissele all the things friend and we discussed the same thing.

View All Quotes

Are Toolcraft BCG's any good? I've only ever owned DD and Colt.

Originally Posted By smitty_007:
So, this is just for the M4A1 right now, right?  I didn't see/hear any mention of them selling a Mk18 upper...I may have missed it though.
Correct on the M4A1 for right now. Only the 13" MK16 rail has been officially announced, no word on the 10" model yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:20:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
They aren't exactly replacing every single M4A1 and Mk18 Upper assy within SOCOM this year, are they?  Look at previous endusers seeing the M4A1 RISII in pics right about when they actually got in the M4A1 FSP rails fielded.
View Quote
Probably not all at once but over time. Which might be why Bill said the complete groups will be a regular item.

One of the reasons the full length RIS IIs didn't switch out very fast, was initially many units didn't want them. Too heavy
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

If history repeats itself (block 2 adoption to fielding timeline speaking) it will take some time to get to the masses.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#30]
These will be going out to USASOC elements only so think SF and Rangers. SOCOM has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
I wonder if you and I have the same friend
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I know it’s anyones guess but if the MK 18 gets a Geissele rail too in the future, will that also mean that a DD barrel will be fielded also?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LRB45:
I know it’s anyones guess but if the MK 18 gets a Geissele rail too in the future, will that also mean that a DD barrel will be fielded also?
View Quote
Don't think so for a Mk18 as we're now talking 10.3" bbl with carbine length gas system.  No need for new barrels especially since FN is making new 10.3" SOCOM bbls.  The new URGI is only so far 14.5" mid length, contour unknown so far.

CD
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#34]
To avoid NFA hassle. 14.5" barrel + SF warcomp puts fixed barrel length past 16"
View All Quotes
It's a standalone upper, there's no reason to P&W from a legal standpoint. Should leave it up to the customer and it would speed up getting them out the door at G (and make them slightly cheaper).
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

It's a standalone upper, there's no reason to P&W from a legal standpoint. Should leave it up to the customer and it would speed up getting them out the door at G (and make them slightly cheaper).
View Quote
That's what I was thinking, honestly.  The upper isn't a firearm and shouldn't need to be force regulated like that.  AFAIK anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Right, but it makes it buy and shoot. And you avoid the trip to ADCO.

There's always the stripped upper for the purists
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Check.
Check.
Check.

View Quote
The Mk16 thing isn't the first military contract Geissele has held, so it's not a contract thing specifically.

It seems familiar because, like the case of the DD RIS II at one point, we're not commercially going to be able to get the apparent clone-correct G Mk16 rail without buying some form of assembled upper from the rail manufacturer...at least at first. It sucks on our end, but I'm sure the G House has it's good reasons. Hopefully they offer this thing in the 9.5" version soon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Don't think so for a Mk18 as we're now talking 10.3" bbl with carbine length gas system.  No need for new barrels especially since FN is making new 10.3" SOCOM bbls.  The new URGI is only so far 14.5" mid length, contour unknown so far.

CD
View Quote
Are there many MK18’s in the wild yet with the FN 10.3” barrel?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Yes, but look at the 87-bazillion <16" uppers out there. You rarely ever hear about someone not buying an upper because it wasn't P&W. Most folks these days (especially those that these uppers are marketed towards) either have a pistol config or SBR lower in the collection.

Also, let's not overlook how they're going to time the Warcomp...if pinned with the indexing lug at 6 o'clock, it's timed for a righty. If timed for neutral or lefty, it's going to be off and that's going to annoy people more than having to source a shop ot P&W.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes

CD
I think he said not long ago he re-barreled one with a FN barrel. Or maybe just that was what his last shipment was and hasn't replaced one yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, but look at the 87-bazillion <16" uppers out there. You rarely ever hear about someone not buying an upper because it wasn't P&W. Most folks these days (especially those that these uppers are marketed towards) either have a pistol config or SBR lower in the collection.

Also, let's not overlook how they're going to time the Warcomp...if pinned with the indexing lug at 6 o'clock, it's timed for a righty. If timed for neutral or lefty, it's going to be off and that's going to annoy people more than having to source a shop ot P&W.
View All Quotes

Ahh I didn't realize the lefty issue there. I will say a 14.5 with a pistol brace kind of blows, but true on the SBR thing. Its perfect from my point of view (pin/weld and right handed) but shitty for yours (because SBR and I forgot you're a lefty)

Would be cool if they at least offered a lefty pin/weld option. But at least you can still get the stripped URG and build it up how you want it too right? I guess optimal would be complete URG and pin/weld as an option instead of a mandatory for the full URG. IDK, but at least there's the stripped option too tho. Throw a Colt BCG and M.D. of your choice on and wha-bam
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I think he said not long ago he re-barreled one with a FN barrel. Or maybe just that was what his last shipment was and hasn't replaced one yet.
View All Quotes

CD
I think he met up with another fellow SF armorer and that dude had it stashed as a spare re-barrel
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
Same quality as Colt or DD in my opinion. Toolcraft is about the only brand BCG I buy anymore unless it's something like the Shark Arms deal where a Colt is in the same price range, or if I buy a factory rifle.

Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
The Mk16 thing isn't the first military contract Geissele has held, so it's not a contract thing specifically.

It seems familiar because, like the case of the DD RIS II at one point, we're not commercially going to be able to get the apparent clone-correct G Mk16 rail without buying some form of assembled upper from the rail manufacturer...at least at first. It sucks on our end, but I'm sure the G House has it's good reasons. Hopefully they offer this thing in the 9.5" version soon.
Not even sure why G decided to pursue the URG only route, honestly. In DD's case it makes a lot more sense - they get to leverage the popularity and exclusivity of the RIS II into the sale of more DD components and in turn more profit. In the case of Geissele, the only parts specifically from them seem to be the rail and charging handle. Sourcing the barrels from DD, the FH from Surefire and the upper from who knows (maybe DD as well?) doesn't seem to offer as much incentive to limit sales to URGs only. Nonetheless, the parallels to DD and the RIS II are a bit comical in the "same shit, different day" category.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Ahh I didn't realize the lefty issue there. I will say a 14.5 with a pistol brace kind of blows, but true on the SBR thing. Its perfect from my point of view (pin/weld and right handed) but shitty for yours (because SBR and I forgot you're a lefty)

Would be cool if they at least offered a lefty pin/weld option. But at least you can still get the stripped URG and build it up how you want it too right? I guess optimal would be complete URG and pin/weld as an option instead of a mandatory for the full URG. IDK, but at least there's the stripped option too tho. Throw a Colt BCG and M.D. of your choice on and wha-bam
View All Quotes

I'm a lefty, but mainly shoot righty due to astigmatism in my left eye and a fucked up right shoulder.

Agree that the brace thing sucks, but it's better than bare buffer tube.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#45]
For those of us that are purists- you might want to buy the stripped urg-i.

Dem deets be flowing in that the SF4P will be on the actual issued upper, and SF3P on the civilian models just like were used to. Supposedly the warcomp was some kind of stand-in Brownells used. So I would hold off on the full URG

Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Squirrel and others- don't buy the complete urg-i.

Dem deets be flowing in that the SF4P will be on the actual issued upper, and SF3P on the civilian models just like were used to. Supposedly the warcomp was some kind of stand-in Brownells used. So I would hold off on the full URG
View Quote
No worries here, it doesn't scratch any itch that I've got. And the rail is just kinda meh to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#47]

https://i.imgur.com/O3pi0a9.png
View Quote
What you did there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#48]
What you did there.
View All Quotes

What you did there.
Lol! I felt bad killing off Bill's complete URG business, had to re-word it a bit.

But most importantly,  
@spooled ,get the stripped URG. Not the warcomp/sf3p/whatever pin/weld
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Lol! I felt bad killing off Bill's complete URG business, had to re-word it a bit.

But most importantly,  
@spooled ,get the stripped URG. Not the warcomp pin/weld
View All Quotes

What you did there.

But most importantly,  
Bill just called the production line and said, "Don't worry guys, he reworded it. You can start up again. Whew!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Bill just called the production line and said, "Don't worry guys, he reworded it. You can start up again. Whew!"
View All Quotes

What you did there.

But most importantly,  
*butt strokes krdt*

Zip it peanut gallery!
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 943 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top