Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 942 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KLamper:

Thanks for the detailed answer, I’ve been acclimated to high prices by KAC for the last 12 years so the MK18 game isn’t too bad.

I dont want to drop 800-1000 on a light but here we go.
View Quote
You looking for one? I have a new one I'm not using..
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Swapped out the DD tramp stamp upper with a Colt Cerro Forge from Shark Arms Colt deal. Very happy with how it turned out. Sold the DD upper for a good chunk of change essentially getting a swap to colt with a BCG and cage code CH for $95.

Debating if I want to swap the buffer tube for a Shockwave FDE Kit while I wait on SBR submission. Kind of want to leave it as is, I like the solid staking on the castle nut. May just wrap it in paracord and call it good for the next year long wait.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Really thinking about selling my MK18 rail and swapping to a MK8.  My "CQBR" has never been close to correct, wrong lower, upper, BCG, and silencer.  Has anyone here switched to a G rail, and regretted it?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
Really thinking about selling my MK18 rail and swapping to a MK8.  My "CQBR" has never been close to correct, wrong lower, upper, BCG, and silencer.  Has anyone here switched to a G rail, and regretted it?
View Quote
There are plenty of happy G rail users now who used to own Mk18s, especially given the price difference between the two. I'm still a quad rail guy though so I'll be sticking with the Mk18.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Im not seeing how one would regret it if they were to follow rule #1 of ARFCOM....and get both.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with a Geissele Mk 14 rail and could not be happier with the looks and the way it handles.  I'm hoping to eventually get the DD Mk 18 rail someday also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't speak from direct experience, but I will say I think the G rails in DDC look awesome on a CQBR. Probably will be the next thing I build.

I'm debating right now whether I should just buy a 6920 and part it out for a better looking lower to SBR :\. I've got the Form 1 all ready for this Brownells Colt lower - all I need to do is put on postage - but I keep hesitating. It isn't even the rollmark that bothers me, it's the cockeyed selector stops. It's also kinda nice to have a Colt lower that is pistol legal, but that's way, way down on the list of considerations. Mostly it's just the idea of being stuck with funky selector stops on a Form 1 lower. What to do? Ahhhh!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By krdt:
Can't speak from direct experience, but I will say I think the G rails in DDC look awesome on a CQBR. Probably will be the next thing I build.

I'm debating right now whether I should just buy a 6920 and part it out for a better looking lower to SBR :\. I've got the Form 1 all ready for this Brownells Colt lower - all I need to do is put on postage - but I keep hesitating. It isn't even the rollmark that bothers me, it's the cockeyed selector stops. It's also kinda nice to have a Colt lower that is pistol legal, but that's way, way down on the list of considerations. Mostly it's just the idea of being stuck with funky selector stops on a Form 1 lower. What to do? Ahhhh!
View Quote
If it helps your decision, all commercial Colt selector stops are pretty funky.....they shave them off.

Maybe get the 6920, SBR its lower, then use the pistol Colt lower for a "cross state lines no paperwork to fuck with" CQBR
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, that was part of the general justification I was giving myself, "Well, then I'll have a Colt lower that can cross state lines without paperwork." Seems perfectly reasonable, right?

All the Colts I've had came with shaved stops (do they even sell commercial rifles without shaved stops?);  it just kinda bugs me when one looks like it was taken off with a Dremel, lol. Sure, I'd prefer normal stops to what Colt does, but I'd settle for them at least matching, lol.

Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, that was part of the general justification I was giving myself, "Well, then I'll have a Colt lower that can cross state lines without paperwork." Seems perfectly reasonable, right?

All the Colts I've had came with shaved stops (do they even sell commercial rifles without shaved stops?);  it just kinda bugs me when one looks like it was taken off with a Dremel, lol. Sure, I'd prefer normal stops to what Colt does, but I'd settle for them at least matching, lol.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.Colt.M4-03-Close.jpg
View Quote
That wouldn't bother me one bit. My KAC lowers look the same way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I tend to get super OCD over the tiniest shit too at times. In spurts. I kid you not, I have kept myself up at night tripping over "oh my god my lowers' FCG pin holes are getting wollowed out, my lower is done for!" - and now (about 4 years later) that same lower is still working 100 percent perfect, without a single issue at all.

I said all that to say, at the end of the day, as long as it works right.....fuck it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I mean overall, it's not such a huge deal that it stopped me from getting all the paperwork ready, but at the same time I'm pretty OCD about certain stuff. Things out of balance or not symmetrical can bug me :\. I'm surprised a KAC lower would have funky, mismatched stops on it.

The other option is to go ahead and Form 1 this, then do an 80% M4A1 marked lower (which is what I really want) for the CQBR down the road. Then I could swap this one onto my Mk18 pistol, rattle can it and never know the difference. That probably makes more sense, to be honest... but I'm still tempted to go the 6920 route. I guess I'll vacillate for awhile and see where things land, heh.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I mean overall, it's not such a huge deal that it stopped me from getting all the paperwork ready, but at the same time I'm pretty OCD about certain stuff. Things out of balance or not symmetrical can bug me :\. I'm surprised a KAC lower would have funky, mismatched stops on it.

The other option is to go ahead and Form 1 this, then do an 80% M4A1 marked lower (which is what I really want) for the CQBR down the road. Then I could swap this one onto my Mk18 pistol, rattle can it and never know the difference. That probably makes more sense, to be honest... but I'm still tempted to go the 6920 route. I guess I'll vacillate for awhile and see where things land, heh.
View Quote
The CQBR mental gymnastics game is real
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.Colt.M4-03-Close.jpg
View Quote
Pretty sure they don't. Glanced at my buddy's Colt 6920 that he bought around 2016, shaved stops, the "O" and "L" had missing sections like the brownells lowers currently being sold. Unfortunately I didn't get to check the other things that were pointed out a few pages back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Haha, I know, right? Almost makes one pause and wonder, "Is this really the shit you think about?" The answer is yes. Yes it is :\.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Drop that shit in the mail dude! If it makes you feel better my cqbr is build on a 35 dollar stamped Anderson lower
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:
http://i.imgur.com/6z3DyxV.jpg

Swapped out the DD tramp stamp upper with a Colt Cerro Forge from Shark Arms Colt deal. Very happy with how it turned out. Sold the DD upper for a good chunk of change essentially getting a swap to colt with a BCG and cage code CH for $95.

Debating if I want to swap the buffer tube for a Shockwave FDE Kit while I wait on SBR submission. Kind of want to leave it as is, I like the solid staking on the castle nut. May just wrap it in paracord and call it good for the next year long wait.
View Quote
How did you go about filing for your SBR?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Spooled:
Drop that shit in the mail dude! If it makes you feel better my cqbr is build on a 35 dollar stamped Anderson lower
View Quote
Probably will end up doing that, but ya know, have to do some CQBR mental gymnastics first, lol.

Originally Posted By Rauh:

View Quote
You download and fill out a Form 1 from the ATF website, send $200, along with two FD258 fingerprint cards with your prints, two passport photos and mail those along with 2 copies of the Form 1 to the ATF and one copy to your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer.

A more complete guide can be found here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Work-In-Progress-new-F1-F4-guide-for-41F-submissions/17-465636/
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]
My Brownell's Colt Lower came in, same deal as most, light strike on the L, CR serial, but otherwise fine - a few rub marks on the right side of the magwell but nothing worth fretting about.  AR's fall in to the tools not art category for me, so don't worry much about minor marks, etc - heck most get painted anyway :).  Selectors "stops" are flat, but all of my Colt lowers are flat I am pretty sure - my Noveske, BCM, Brownells/Nodak A1, etc are all proud.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

For $50 more, you can go to silencer shop's website and fill out their electronic form. You fill in the blanks, then sign, take a selfie with their app, go to a local kiosk of theirs to take down your prints and they take care of the rest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
For $50 more, you can go to silencer shop's website and fill out their electronic form. You fill in the blanks, then sign, take a selfie with their app, go to a local kiosk of theirs to take down your prints and they take care of the rest.
View All Quotes

I have blank FD258s and several good cards scanned, formatted in PS and saved along with up to date photos that I can print whenever I need them. If you open the Form 1 in Adobe, it autofills the copies, so the blanks you fill in for Silencer Shop are the same you'd fill out on the Form 1. I can print out 2 fingerprint cards, 2 photos and the Form 1 without even getting up, lol. Then just sign it, print the postage and done. It takes me about 15 minutes to finish a Form 1. I'm basically doing the same thing that Silencer Shop does, it just doesn't cost me $50 ;p.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I have blank FD258s and several good cards scanned, formatted in PS and saved along with up to date photos that I can print whenever I need them. If you open the Form 1 in Adobe, it autofills the copies, so the blanks you fill in for Silencer Shop are the same you'd fill out on the Form 1. I can print out 2 fingerprint cards, 2 photos and the Form 1 without even getting up, lol. Then just sign it, print the postage and done. It takes me about 15 minutes to finish a Form 1. I'm basically doing the same thing that Silencer Shop does, it just doesn't cost me $50 ;p.
View All Quotes

lol Gonna have to try this out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a reminder for guys I just put in an order for a Colt upper, BCG, and cage code CH from shark arms. He is still honoring the special for us. Just use (AR15.com Colt Combo) as the topic for the email. 195$ shipped to your door.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By footsoldier9th:
Just a reminder for guys I just put in an order for a Colt upper, BCG, and cage code CH from shark arms. He is still honoring the special for us. Just use (AR15.com Colt Combo) as the topic for the email. 195$ shipped to your door.
View Quote
Thought it was $175? Pretty sure that’s what I paid
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:

Thought it was $175? Pretty sure that’s what I paid
View Quote
$175 is without the charging handle
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#26]
Thought this was interesting that Ballistic Advantage is getting in the MK18 game with CHF barrel's (not affiliated). Here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By footsoldier9th:
View Quote
Good to know!  Do I need a third???
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: footsoldier9th] [#28]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

Good to know!  Do I need a third???
View Quote
Don't ask questions you already know the answer to silly. Three is better than two
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#29]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
Thought this was interesting that Ballistic Advantage is getting in the MK18 game with CHF barrel's (not affiliated). Here.
View Quote
Nice! Always good to have another CL 10.3 option, and CHF to boot; even better that they're offering it with an FSB. Definitely something I'd be interested in to replace the Noveske 10.5" on my Mod 0.

All the same, damn... those are DD prices. Of course, to get a DD 10.3" with an F marked FSB pretty much means having to buy it separately and send it to a be pinned. After the extra fees/shipping, that BA option could be pretty attractive - especially if you wait for a sale.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sbye:

$175 is without the charging handle
View Quote
Ahh ok. My bad
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered a BCG/Upper set from him and it was $175 shipped as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CPDowning:
View Quote
Touche'
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By CPDowning:
View Quote
175$ is for bcg/upper
195$ is for bcg/upper/CH
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Nice! Always good to have another CL 10.3 option, and CHF to boot; even better that they're offering it with an FSB. Definitely something I'd be interested in to replace the Noveske 10.5" on my Mod 0.

All the same, damn... those are DD prices. Of course, to get a DD 10.3" with an F marked FSB pretty much means having to buy it separately and send it to a be pinned. After the extra fees/shipping, that BA option could be pretty attractive - especially if you wait for a sale.
View Quote
Whats the port size?

Hoping they made it .07 since they made the barrels for Andro.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
Whats the port size?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:

Whats the port size?

Ack! That's a damn good question and I don't see it listed :\.

I think their standard 10.3/10.5 port is .078; it'd suck if that's what they used. I suppose you could always use one of the .070 inserts from BRT, but that'd pretty much make any pricing advantage over a DD 10.3 go *poof*.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:33:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Ack! That's a damn good question and I don't see it listed :\.

I think their standard 10.3/10.5 port is .078; it'd suck if that's what they used. I suppose you could always use one of the .070 inserts from BRT, but that'd pretty much make any pricing advantage over a DD 10.3 go *poof*.
View Quote
I thought Jason at Andro had said they used the .070, at least for the ones they did for Androcorp.  I could be mistaken though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

It sounds like you have a good system, but once you get set up on the Silencershop system, it takes longer to get your credit card out of your wallet than it does to file a form 1... I've even dropped form 1s from Iraq... in seconds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

I thought Jason at Andro had said they used the .070, at least for the ones they did for Androcorp.  I could be mistaken though.
View Quote
No, you're not mistaken, just different barrels. These are CHF and chrome lined, not nitride 10.3s. The BA 10.3 nitride barrels that ACI has are .070, but those are special ordered as far as I know. These barrels seem to be a new release. I'm pretty sure the standard port on a BA 10.3/10.5 is .078, but no idea what these new CHF/CL 10.3s are.

Originally Posted By eodinert:

It sounds like you have a good system, but once you get set up on the Silencershop system, it takes longer to get your credit card out of your wallet than it does to file a form 1... I've even dropped form 1s from Iraq... in seconds.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not saying SS isn't useful or convenient. Admittedly, it does take a bit of time and PS knowledge to set yourself up a similar system. Once you have all the templates and blank cards/photo paper, though - assuming I can mail it directly - I can do it almost as fast as SS. Having a printer that will do two sided printing is nice, too (I know that isn't a requirement anymore, but I kinda like having all the important stuff on one page).

Besides, I am cheap... I don't wanna give 'em $50 bucks, lol. It's bad enough giving the gubbamint $200 :\.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
I love the MK8 but after I sold my Mk18 rail and got the MK8, I had to have another Mk18 upper.

Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
I love the MK8 but after I sold my Mk18 rail and got the MK8, I had to have another Mk18 upper.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4363/35594379323_b1b5b957fb_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4423/36005512460_a75dd69665_o.jpg
View All Quotes

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4363/35594379323_b1b5b957fb_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4423/36005512460_a75dd69665_o.jpg
I'm the same damn way. Both of those guns look ( . ) ( . ) / ( . ) ( . )

I need me a damn MK8.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#41]

I'm the same damn way. Both of those guns look ( . ) ( . ) / ( . ) ( . )

I need me a damn MK8.
View Quote
I kinda wish I had done a 14.5 MK8 or MK14 though but like I said, I thought I was selling my MK18 rail and going MK8 but I figured out I prefer the MK18 so I snagged another upper from Brownells.

Just something about the MK18 builds!

Just picked up one of those Brownells Colt M4 Carbine lowers that can be made into a pistol and tossed a G SSA-E into it. Also snagged one of the new Surefire M300C Scout Mini 500 lumen weapons lights.

Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Bill Geissele just announced Mk16 rail will be the new sopmod rail. He's doing a press conference that's live on youtube and instagram. It sounds like the only way to buy the rail as a civilian is to buy the complete URG which he is calling the "URG-I." He also said the DD has won the contract for manufacturing barrels.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:18:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#43]
Originally Posted By emerica59069:
Bill Geissele just announced Mk16 rail will be the new sopmod rail. He's doing a press conference that's live on youtube and instagram. It sounds like the only way to buy the rail as a civilian is to buy the complete URG which he is calling the "URG-I." He also said the DD has won the contract for manufacturing barrels.
View Quote
Oh was it a secret that the MK16 was the new SOPMOD rail? I had someone from Geissele tell me it was a couple months ago via Facebook Messenger. They also said that production of civilian MK16 rails would be a year plus out while they work on fulfilling the contract.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Is this going to be in both 14.5 and 10.3 variants?

Or is there only going to be the 14.5" mid length URG?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:50:51 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
The "in the wild" picture everyone has seen shows both upper lengths, but Bill only showed off and spoke of the 14.5" variant.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
The "in the wild" picture everyone has seen shows both upper lengths, but Bill only showed off and spoke of the 14.5" variant.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Gotcha. Looks like we get to "hurry up and wait" as shit trickles in one small detail at a time.

Between this and the NSW driven .300 B.O. PDW request, its looking like things will either get REAL interesting, or either the PDW or 5.56 10.3 will get dropped. Either way its cool as hell to see Geissele taking over so fast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Oh was it a secret that the MK16 was the new SOPMOD rail? I had someone from Geissele tell me it was a couple months ago via Facebook Messenger. They also said that production of civilian MK16 rails would be a year plus out while they work on fulfilling the contract.
View All Quotes
Hmm. Well it was news to me, lol. I have heard a lot of speculation that Geissele would be producing the sopmod rail, but I think this was the official announcement. Then  again, I don’t pay as close attention to the forums as I used to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:07:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Not exactly Mk18/CQBR but here is the first new Geissele MK16 based upper A.K.A. The Geissele URG-I upper.

$1400.00 for a complete upper with a Daniel Defense 14.5" and a SF 3-Prong pinned and welded, also includes G's charging handle or  $1000.00 for a stripped upper with no BCG, charging handle or pinned flash hider.

Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#49]
Not exactly Mk18/CQBR but here is the first new Geissele MK16 based upper A.K.A. The Geissele URG-I upper.

$1400.00 for a complete upper with a Daniel Defense 14.5" and a SF 3-Prong pinned and welded, also includes G's charging handle or  $1000.00 for a stripped upper with no BCG, charging handle or pinned flash hider.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4728/38821762764_f62330dda4_b.jpg
View Quote
Shit, might as well get the whole sha-bang for those prices, unless you want to SBR it.

Any word on the barrel profile? Looks like it might be (at least beefier than govt pro) before the gas block in that pic, obviously hard to tell tho

ETA and any idea what manufacturer for BCG?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:53:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#50]

Shit, might as well get the whole sha-bang for those prices, unless you want to SBR it.

Any word on the barrel profile? Looks like it might be (at least beefier than govt pro) before the gas block in that pic, obviously hard to tell tho

ETA and any idea what manufacturer for BCG?
View Quote
It was hard to tell. Bill did say that the Mid length gas system won the trials, and that the barrel is a middy

Uses standard mil BCG
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 942 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top