Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fatguy7814:

It is very subjective and trigger debates will go on forever.

But, the vast majority of shooters do prefer 2 stage triggers over single stage.

And I believe the SSA-EX is the best trigger on the market.
View Quote

2 stage for accuracy, single stage for speed.

I use both
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Shouldabeenaproudboy:

Appreciate the help 🤙

I'm fixing to get a propane torch today and try to heat the gas block to knock this pin loose.

Guy at the gun shop either way Thor himself, or used a bamfh.
View Quote

It's tapered make sure you are knocking it the right way. Little heat can help. They make fixtures but I'll usually use blocks of wood to set the barrel on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 12:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#3]

Appreciate the help 🤙

I'm fixing to get a propane torch today and try to heat the gas block to knock this pin loose.

View Quote

Word to the wise, Noveske gas block pins are notoriously tight because they use an interference fit. At the Noveske factory they use a hydraulic press to install them. The solid pin is 0.125” and the hole is 0.124”.

If the smith that installed it did it cleanly, i.e it doesn't look like an angry beaver chewed it up then you have a good smith and you may want to save yourself the trouble and let them take care of it ( all-though it is odd they didn’t notice the lack of a barrel nut).

I drill mine out and use a coiled roll pin to straighten all that out.

You best have your getting tough pin game on point, solid fixture, high quality and properly sized punches, a bit of heat (about 250 - 300 degrees) some oil and patients.

Just a heads up, good luck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

It's a great barrel and will last a long time.

Stainless is fine. Don't think that just because it last slightly less than other barrels that it's going to immediately burn up on you. At a minimum you'll be able to put 4k worth of ammo through it before it's toast. Which makes the price of a barrel seem cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Damn, wish I would have known this. Lol.

I went ahead and got a Noveske Afghan 14.5

It's a great barrel and will last a long time.

Stainless is fine. Don't think that just because it last slightly less than other barrels that it's going to immediately burn up on you. At a minimum you'll be able to put 4k worth of ammo through it before it's toast. Which makes the price of a barrel seem cheap.

Yeah, I'm happy with my decision other than this thing seems heavy. Maybe it's just me, but I'm hoping with an optic it'll balance out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

Word to the wise, Noveske gas block pins are notoriously tight because they use an interference fit. At the Noveske factory they use a hydraulic press to install them. The solid pin is 0.125” and the hole is 0.124”.

If the smith that installed it did it cleanly, i.e it doesn't look like an angry beaver chewed it up then you have a good smith and you may want to save yourself the trouble and let them take care of it ( all-though it is odd they didn’t notice the lack of a barrel nut).

You best have your getting tough pin game on point, solid fixture, high quality and properly sized punches, a bit of heat (about 250 - 300 degrees) some oil and patients.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

Appreciate the help 🤙

I appreciate it. The smith even said he had to heat it to get it in, and left a little sticking out in case of it having to be removed. He said if he sank it completely, plus the heat from firing, it would probably need to be drilled/cut off.

Im probably going to bring it back to him to re-install, I'm curious how he missed the barrel nut as well. Then again it was pretty busy for a Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, Barrel situation fixed. Realized I don't have a torque wrench, so that's on my to-do list this weekend to install the barrel on my upper receiver.

Currently, all I'm missing now are:

-Buffer spring/Buffer weight
-Stock
-Trigger
-Optic

Trigger and optic will be more towards black Friday/Christmas so I can catch some deals.

As far as buffer spring, anyone running the Geissele Super 42? Is it worth the sheckles?

Otherwise, reccomend me a descent spring/buffer weight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running the Super 42 in my 10.3" (H3), 12.5" (H2), and 16" (H2). I got them during sales and saved a bunch of money. I am happy with them and haven't had any issues. However, I was happy with my carbine springs and H buffers previous to these.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
So, no big difference then?

I'm guessing with a 14.5" un suppressed I should go h1?

Link Posted: 8/20/2024 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not up on noveske gas port sizes. I'm sure someone who is will help. In most situations though, a std spring and H buffer (H1) is pretty foolproof. There are exceptions, but in general, that will work fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
I'm not up on noveske gas port sizes. I'm sure someone who is will help. In most situations though, a std spring and H buffer (H1) is pretty foolproof. There are exceptions, but in general, that will work fine.
View Quote

.750 mid length gas port.

I think I'm just going to go Sprinco green spring and standard H buffer at first, see what happens.

I'll let it run until I go surpressed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 8:46:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#11]
Green is for a rifle length buffer system. It sounds like your is carbine (could be wrong). Also, .750 is the size of the gas journal. It's not an indicator of port size.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I would go with the 14.5 Geissele barrel and P&W an extended A2 or whatever muzzle device you want (that'll make it 16.1"). Go with Geissele gas block and tube.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
So, no big difference then?

I'm guessing with a 14.5" un suppressed I should go h1?

View Quote
They are definitely smooth shooting guns and run with those buffers without suppressors. You could measure your gas port with pin gauges to get an exact size (pin gauges aren't cheap). However, looking at this chart it appears that Noveske has slightly large gas ports: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tXunBDX5Gaz87BqxwNxDUlWNK9nEv-cZEQoLq2JXXrk/edit?gid=766121382#gid=766121382

I'd wager that you would be safe to go with an H2 buffer.  Geissele Labor Day sale will start either next Thursday or Friday around 5pm eastern time based on my observations of when sales launch. I got one of my Super 42/H2 combos in the Geissele Labor Day 2022 sale for $53. Other companies/retailers will obviously be having sales too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]
I'd wager that you would be safe to go with an H2 buffer.  Geissele Labor Day sale will start either next Thursday or Friday around 5pm eastern time based on my observations of when sales launch. I got one of my Super 42/H2 combos in the Geissele Labor Day 2022 sale for $53. Other companies/retailers will obviously be having sales too.
View Quote

Ah, good to know. I wasn't aware Geissele did a LD sale. I will keep an eye out 🤙
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m a big fan of all things Geissele so naturally I’m a fan of the Super 42 system.  Have lots of rounds suppressed and unsuppressed on it with no complaints.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Ah, good to know. I wasn't aware Geissele did a LD sale. I will keep an eye out
View Quote
Should still be Labor Day, Halloween, Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and Christmas still this year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m a big fan of all things Geissele so naturally I’m a fan of the Super 42 system.  Have lots of rounds suppressed and unsuppressed on it with no complaints.
View Quote

Yeah, as much hate as they get, they have some really nice solid stuff.

I'll probably just end up biting my hand and shelling out the $$ for the carbine h2 and super 42 spring.

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
So I had some free time when I got home from work, and decided to install the barrel to the upper receiver, as well as put the hand guard on.

I realized, I'm missing one of the M6 washers that goes with the hand guard screw. So I emailed Geissele and hopefully will get a reply back.

Everything looks really good in my opinion all buttoned up. Even got the muzzle device on, but only hand tightened for now until I remember to bring my wrenches home from work.

It will definitely look like a typical "50 shades of fde" build when completed, the non-blem upper receiver really sticks out color wise compared to the blem lower and hand guard. And the buffer toob is a whole different color.

I like it so far though 🤙
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm sure they'll take care of it! I've dropped a couple but fortunately always found them. I really like the detent trapped screws in the Mk16 rail for that reason.

50 shades is best!
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
50 shades is basically camo. Everyone likes camo. Post a Pic
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 6:06:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
I'm sure they'll take care of it! I've dropped a couple but fortunately always found them. I really like the detent trapped screws in the Mk16 rail for that reason.

50 shades is best!
View Quote

I hope so, but usually their email responses are timely.

I like the 50 shades look.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
50 shades is basically camo. Everyone likes camo. Post a Pic
View Quote

Exactly, lol. I will post a few once I get home from work 🤙
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#23]
So I had some free time when I got home from work, and decided to install the barrel to the upper receiver, as well as put the hand guard on.

I realized, I'm missing one of the M6 washers that goes with the hand guard screw. So I emailed Geissele and hopefully will get a reply back.

Everything looks really good in my opinion all buttoned up. Even got the muzzle device on, but only hand tightened for now until I remember to bring my wrenches home from work.

It will definitely look like a typical "50 shades of fde" build when completed, the non-blem upper receiver really sticks out color wise compared to the blem lower and hand guard. And the buffer toob is a whole different color.

I like it so far though 🤙
View Quote

Check the hand guard for that washer…. Sometimes the washer likes to stay in the hole and since it’s recessed you might miss it.

I’ve “lost” one of those washers only to find out I wasn’t looking good enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Check the hand guard for that washer…. Sometimes the washer likes to stay in the hole and since it’s recessed you might miss it.

I’ve “lost” one of those washers only to find out I wasn’t looking good enough.
View Quote

I did, it seems like I either dropped it somewhere when I took the barrel nut out to be installed with the gas block, or it was stuck in the hole, and fell out without me noticing.

Either way, a Geissele rep already contacted me.back, and said they will send 2 out free of charge thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shouldabeenaproudboy] [#25]
It's pretty cool how the DDC looks different in all types of lighting situations. This was outside, in non-direct sunlight.

Inside, it looks like 3 different shades. You can still tell the upper receiver is a much different shade than the blems.

B5 sopmod stock and cheek riser on the way.

Coming out pretty good so far. I need to decide whether I want a vfg or a hand stop, as well as some grip covers. Rail scales look good, but damn they're pricey.

https://ibb.co/rfvmTsw
https://ibb.co/ZzfNzHJ
https://ibb.co/xS4mS3T
https://ibb.co/qmnX6jx

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#26]
It's pretty cool how the DDC looks different in all types of lighting situations. This was outside, in non-direct sunlight.

Inside, it looks like 3 different shades. You can still tell the upper receiver is a much different shade than the blems.

B5 sopmod stock and cheek riser on the way.

Coming out pretty good so far. I need to decide whether I want a vfg or a hand stop, as well as some grip covers. Rail scales look good, but damn they're pricey.

https://ibb.co/rfvmTsw
https://ibb.co/ZzfNzHJ
https://ibb.co/xS4mS3T
https://ibb.co/qmnX6jx

View Quote
Looks good!

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks good!
View Quote

Thanks! Curious to see how it looks once the stock and stuff get here.

Waiting for the Geissele labor day sale to get a trigger and the super 42.

Then all I need is an optic and light.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I must say, G$ customer service is top notch.

I had sent an email, asking to purchase a set of washers for the Mk4 rail considering I lost one.

They said they would send me 2 free of charge.

This is what I got, less than 7 days later:

2 full bolt/washer assembly's, as well as some stickers and bottle of lube.

I know this to them is pennies, but still. Top notch 🤙🤙
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I must say, G$ customer service is top notch.

I had sent an email, asking to purchase a set of washers for the Mk4 rail considering I lost one.

They said they would send me 2 free of charge.

This is what I got, less than 7 days later:

https://ibb.co/7GKrHq1

2 full bolt/washer assembly's, as well as some stickers and bottle of lube.

I know this to them is pennies, but still. Top notch
View Quote
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#30]
G$ labor day sale is doo doo.

I got my Super 42 spring/buffer on sale though

No luck on my damn 3 gun trigger though 😓
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I really didn't need to spend money, so fortunately nothing it too tempting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I've spent way too much money this weekend, but the build should be an optic away from being ready to fire.

Midway got me for the SD3 gun trigger
Geissele got me for the super 42 system
And Irregular Defense got me...well just because the setup looks like it would perform well.

Pictures to follow within the week when I get everything in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Got bored and color-filled my BCG.

Will it stay? Who knows. Looks cool though 🤷

Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Okay, So my Super 42 arrived today. Took my BCG apart, oiled the fk out of it, and put her back together.

Lightly sprayed the buffer spring with rem oil, and installed.

Greased the bottom rails of the BCG, as well as the charging handle, etc.

I noticed when I pull back the charging handle, and let go, the BCG makes a "PING" as it goes into the barrel extension.

It looks like it's properly seated, no grinding on the BCG or shavings on it.

I'm guessing it's okay? It's a veske BCG going into a veske barrel, so head spacing shouldn't be an issue.

I think it's just new, and never fired, so these sounds are kinda new to me.

That and the charging handle needs wearing in, that did have some small shavings mixed in the oil.

Inputs? I don't want to shoot this thing and completely fuck up a $1900 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 9:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#35]
I've got one or two that sound pingy when they are empty. All mine have Geissele REBCG's and Super 42's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Over got one or two that sound pingy when they are empty. All mine have Geissele REBCG's and Super 42's.
View Quote

Okay, I'm just over reacting I suppose. My other rifles don't make that noise, then again, they all have plenty of rounds through them and werent built from square 1.

I'm liking the super 42 already, excited to see how the recoil is when I finally chute this thing
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Okay, I'm just over reacting I suppose. My other rifles don't make that noise, then again, they all have plenty of rounds through them and werent built from square 1.

I'm liking the super 42 already, excited to see how the recoil is when I finally chute this thing
View Quote
Yeah, if everything is good fine and torqued currently you will be good to go! Excited for you, it's a nice build!
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, if everything is good fine and torqued currently you will be good to go! Excited for you, it's a nice build!
View Quote

Thanks man, I'm pumped to get everything 100% so I can shoot the damn thing!

Finished photos to follow soon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#39]
On the fence about an optic still, either going EOTech or primary arms micro.

But the "Geisseske" is complete!

Thanks for the help with dumb questions and advice!

Can't wait to shoot this bad boy 🤙
Here's a parts list:

Geissele 13.5" Super Modular MK4 rail °blem°
Geissele Super Duty lower receiver °blem°
Geissele buffer tube °blem°
Geissele Super Duty upper receiver
Geissele Super charging handle
Geissele lower parts kit
Geissele Super 42 spring w. h2 buffer
Geissele Super Dynamic 3 gun trigger
Noveske enhanced bcg
Noveske engraved port cover
Noveske 14.5" SS Afghan barrel w/low pro gas block, pinned
PWS receiver end plate with ratchet lock castle nut
B5 systems grip
B5 systems enhanced sopmod stock
SOLGW Nox muzzle device
Irregular Defense MHS V1
Irregular Defense MBS V1
irregular Defense MRC V1

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#40]
That's a sweet build!
I am on the AEMS bandwagon. I have 2 on Scalarworks mounts after selling my EXPS. They are 9oz lighter than an EXPS on a unity mount. I haven't experienced night vision with it, but I think it's performance is close enough that the size and weight reduction are worth it.
This is my Noveske barreled, Geissele upper/rail, REBCG, LWRC ultra compact buffer system, 300 blk. It "tings" when releasing the bolt on an empty chamber.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#41]
That's a sweet build!
I am on the AEMS bandwagon. I have 2 on Scalarworks mounts after selling my EXPS. They are 9oz lighter than an EXPS on a unity mount. I haven't experienced night vision with it, but I think it's performance is close enough that the size and weight reduction are worth it.
This is my Noveske barreled, Geissele upper/rail, REBCG, LWRC ultra compact buffer system, 300 blk. It "tings" when releasing the bolt on an empty chamber.
https://i.imgur.com/xuPY5SY.jpeg
View Quote

That's sexy, I love the multi color look. My buddy has an AEMS and I like it as well.

I sware this build is a bit on the heavy side, with the SS barrel and the h2 buffer, my buddy thinks otherwise.

I wouldn't mind cutting weight where I can, so that's good to consider with choosing an optic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#42]

That's sexy, I love the multi color look. My buddy has an AEMS and I like it as well.

I sware this build is a bit on the heavy side, with the SS barrel and the h2 buffer, my buddy thinks otherwise.

I wouldn't mind cutting weight where I can, so that's good to consider with choosing an optic.
View Quote
Thanks!

It is the nature of building. That 300 makes my go to 12.5" feel like a pig. I was also rezeroing my 16" today with suppressor, bipod, and 34mm 1-8x lpvo. That felt like a tank, but it isn't bad when it isn't wearing a can and bipod. Even better without an lpvo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#43]
What's a good Buffer/Spring combo?

Plan on using a can in the future, so not sure which weight to get until then.

Are the Geiselle super springs worth it? Should I go flat?
View Quote

JP Silent Capture Spring.

End discussion.

Honorable Mention is G 42.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top