User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 128
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Truuu. My 6.5 has been the same for a while now though ha. Went through optics on that one but it's done.
View Quote

I'll give that one a month.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#2]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

I'll give that one a month.
View Quote

Haha! The beauty of a switch lug rifle. Get bored, Have a new caliber just 35 in/lbs away!

I'm also not afraid to say it. I like the T3 Gen 2 Razor way more than the T3 ATACR....

Recce thread...

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yo homie did the x24 show up?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Yo homie did the x24 show up?
View Quote

MK12 for now. Until the 15.1" shows up.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:06:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#5]
What gas block are you dudes running? Trying to hurry up and get this one done before I do something stupid... Like think about it. At least get what I can get done sans optic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
badger ordnance mk12 gas block, or DD mk12 block also is the same. i prefer the badger ordnance mfg'd one because it arrives in a very small card stock box with the original NSN label on it. it's the little things, ya know?

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:33:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#9]

Beautiful rifle and photo's! Was that Dobs old upper?
View Quote

Nope, mine got broken down but I still have the pieces. Happy someone is carrying the torch on the OG tho!

ETA - Optic, Optic Mount, and Atlas were sold off. The upper got moved over to my mk12 mod 0. And the barrel is getting sold off too. Eventually I’ll use the rail to do a 15.1 upper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
badger ordnance mk12 gas block, or DD mk12 block also is the same. i prefer the badger ordnance mfg'd one because it arrives in a very small card stock box with the original NSN label on it. it's the little things, ya know?

View Quote

I'd also echo the Badger block except I had an absolute BITCH of a time getting mine fitting to my 18" WOA SPR barrel way back in the day when I was building the Mod1. I ended up having to remove a minor amount of material from the barrel just ahead of the journal where the block mounted by hand. Very tight tolerances. Since then, I've been using CMMG micro blocks and have been more than happy with them; there's no brand stamp or engraving either. But I do understand the desire to keep the parts pile all NSN, and perhaps the one I got was out-of-spec.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

Nope, mine got broken down but I still have the pieces. Happy someone is carrying the torch on the OG tho!

ETA - Optic, Optic Mount, and Atlas were sold off. The upper got moved over to my mk12 mod 0. And the barrel is getting sold off too. Eventually I’ll use the rail to do a 15.1 upper.
View Quote

Don't play with my heart. I still have my Vari-X III 2.5-8 that I haven't pulled from my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

I'd also echo the Badger block except I had an absolute BITCH of a time getting mine fitting to my 18" WOA SPR barrel way back in the day when I was building the Mod1. I ended up having to remove a minor amount of material from the barrel just ahead of the journal where the block mounted by hand. Very tight tolerances. Since then, I've been using CMMG micro blocks and have been more than happy with them; there's no brand stamp or engraving either. But I do understand the desire to keep the parts pile all NSN, and perhaps the one I got was out-of-spec.
View Quote

Yep. pretty sure that is a typical experience with the badger blocks, most people using a press to put it on the barrel. i just send them to JT at Retro arms works and let him deal with the build. I don't have the right tools to do a scratch and nick free job.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Yep. pretty sure that is a typical experience with the badger blocks, most people using a press to put it on the barrel. i just send them to JT at Retro arms works and let him deal with the build. I don't have the right tools to do a scratch and nick free job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ugh. Don't be removing material from your barrel lol. Polishing the inside of the block a bit would be much better. That said, the really tight press fit of them is what makes the Badger extra awesome. Keeps the gas system as efficient as possible (think KAC Mod 2). I've had great luck with just greasing the inside of the block and the barrel and then using a hammer with a wood block to press it down.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

@Dobs013

Wait, don't tell me you broke down your recce...the one you've been posting beside your Mk11?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Was probably the 6lbs of duracoat from the PO plus your rattle rattle!
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#18]
Originally Posted By minion42:

@Dobs013

Wait, don't tell me you broke down your recce...the one you've been posting beside your Mk11?
View Quote

I did. Needed to liquidate something to fund a purchase and that was what went. I had a shot at this guy and I had to take it.

ETA - it will be an SAS recce
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Ugh. Don't be removing material from your barrel lol. Polishing the inside of the block a bit would be much better. That said, the really tight press fit of them is what makes the Badger extra awesome. Keeps the gas system as efficient as possible (think KAC Mod 2). I've had great luck with just greasing the inside of the block and the barrel and then using a hammer with a wood block to press it down.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

By removing material, I mean clearancing with a Scotch Brite pad, which is essentially polishing. I should also mention I never had a single hiccup with that gas system. I worked both the inside of the block and the shoulder of the journal on the barrel to get it to seat properly.

Was probably the 6lbs of duracoat from the PO plus your rattle rattle!

That Duracoat shit peeled right off when I started forcing the block on, so yeah, that shit was trash and I sanded through what was left in a hurry.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#20]

I did. Needed to liquidate something to fund a purchase and that was what went.

View Quote

That thing was the perfect recce.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]

That thing was the perfect recce.
View Quote

It was but I’ve been after this IUR upper for like 3 years. And I wasn’t giving up the MK11 or MK12.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
He was just making room for the rest of us to flex

Black Beauty will always be in our hearts
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
He was just making room for the rest of us to flex

Black Beauty will always be in our hearts
View Quote

I still got more flex to come....don’t you worry bout that!
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#25]

It was but I’ve been after this IUR upper for like 3 years. And I wasn’t giving up the MK11 or MK12.
View Quote

SEAL recce > Mk12

Gotta say, @robertototototo has picked up the torch quite capably.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:21:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#26]

SEAL recce > Mk12

Gotta say, @robertototototo has picked up the torch quite capably.
View Quote

I had a late mod 0 forever ago, sold it and then regretted it. So I needed another one before the parts dried up. Buuuuttttt, I do still have the unmarked 249F, M4 Match and the ring cap tucked away in a safe place. So the option to rebuild is there....

ETA - yes he has, the OG recce is in good hands.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Awesome build and great photos. What camera are you running?
View Quote

Thanks! I think this is my favorite AR. Camera setup is Sony A7s2 and Sony 50mm 2.8 macro
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#28]

SEAL recce > Mk12

View Quote

I must say, you guys are a very bad influence.  After completing the MK12 trifecta (still might tinker with the setups), I decided to do a Seal Reece.  My CLE 15.1 barrel is with d. Wilson and all the parts are in the bin in the workshop.  Will update with pics when complete.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jkacg1:

I must say, you guys are a very bad influence.  After completing the MK12 trifecta (still might tinker with the setups), I decided to do a Seal Reece.  My CLE 15.1 barrel is with d. Wilson and all the parts are in the bin in the workshop.  Will update with pics when complete.
View Quote

Their website is down for the move. Is he still accepting work during this time?
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I had been emailing for a couple weeks since I was waiting on the barrel from Compass Lake.  I sent it to him last week, but I called him to confirm shipping address before I did.  Since it was just a pin and weld on the Ops brake and no barrel work, he said they could accommodate before the move.

Originally Posted By CMCctx:

Their website is down for the move. Is he still accepting work during this time?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 5:30:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kemp] [#31]
don't freak out.

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kemp:
don't freak out.

https://i.imgur.com/I9xuvK0.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a G rail, or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Looks like a G rail, or am I missing something?
View Quote

Remington Defense 416 handgaurd.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Remington Defense 416 handgaurd.
View Quote

Ahh, so now we just need a G rail'd Ops setup and that'll be all the handguard?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:18:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#35]
I don't know, it almost looks like HK type from this angle.

Edit: too late, answered.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Ahh, so now we just need a G rail'd Ops setup and that'll be all the handguard?
View Quote

Basically lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Hell yea!

I DM'd him when Tiny references him. Asked if he would do more Recce M4 content. He was super cool and said he was gonna post more for sure!
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#39]
6 business days after my order, I got tracking for my barrel!
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Can anyone speak to the NSW move from the Mk12 to the Recce and the different iterations of the Recce. I’d love to hear the decisions that drove the evolution. Love this rifles in this and the Mk12 thread.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#41]
Originally Posted By McCarron:
Can anyone speak to the NSW move from the Mk12 to the Recce and the different iterations of the Recce. I’d love to hear the decisions that drove the evolution. Love this rifles in this and the Mk12 thread.
View Quote

16" SEAL Recce came before MK12 Mod 1 for NSW.

SEAL's didn't like the longer barrel.

NSW goes back to the 16"

Some cool ass SEAL at DEVGRU or Armorer said let's make it as short as possible with the RAS and OPS and boom, NSW RECCE.

That's the quick version. I'm sure others will go more in depth.

Side note: picked up another Docter Sight II today.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#42]

MK12 for now. Until the 15.1" shows up.

https://i.imgur.com/7WewN40.jpg
View Quote

Who’s doing your cut and collar contour?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I had John at Retro Arms Works pin and weld my CLE barrel

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Can anyone post to confirm if CLE's 15.1" barrels still have a much larger gap than those profiled by D.wilson?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cherokeefan03:
Can anyone post to confirm if CLE's 15.1" barrels still have a much larger gap than those profiled by D.wilson?
View Quote

I'll post a pic tomorrow when mine gets here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Maddy21:

https://i.imgur.com/BKZfQ9i.jpg
View Quote

That’s impressive!
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Man the last couple of pages have been pretty convincing to make a NSW Recce build. I have BlockII'ed Nsw built up but, it's not scratching the same itch like some of these pics.
I'll be breaking down that upper and making the swap, just needed a push.
https://i.imgur.com/SsS9hgmh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PjKipAAh.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
Originally Posted By usnguns:
A pair of rare scopes.  Notice the second one has a "RECON" marked illumination turret.
https://i.imgur.com/h82DwAV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RbMg3O9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fziLwaw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sHicYhw.jpg

Man the last couple of pages have been pretty convincing to make a NSW Recce build. I have BlockII'ed Nsw built up but, it's not scratching the same itch like some of these pics.
I'll be breaking down that upper and making the swap, just needed a push.
https://i.imgur.com/SsS9hgmh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PjKipAAh.jpg

Who makes the rail ring mount? Don’t recognize it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

So, did he pin it, fill it, and re-thread it?    Is that I'm looking at here...?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#49]
Originally Posted By Jellis71985:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jellis71985:

I believe he ordered a Douglas from CLE and I'm pretty sure it comes good to go straight from them, no further contouring required.

That is an impressive job, I will most likely look into that instead of the SBR route.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

That looks super clean. Alphabet Bois wouldn't believe it. It almost looks like clickbait.

"Beat the ATF and blow their minds with this one simple trick!"
Page / 128
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top