Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
Closing in on it.

Tony

https://i.imgur.com/nnnx27I.jpg

View Quote

@TonyRumore any chance of a 375 raptor? I regret selling my .358 Socom setup, but I am itching for a SFAR
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#3]
There is a very good chance we will make some SFAR barrels in 375 Raptor.  
We are currently in the process of making some Raptor barrels for the standard AR-10 and it would be no trouble making some with our new SFAR barrel extension.
It fits in well with our current product line, since we already buy bulk 375 caliber barrel blanks for the 375 SOCOM barrels.

Tony

Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
We are currently in the process of making some Raptor barrels for the standard AR-10 and it would be no trouble making some with our new SFAR barrel extension.
It fits in well with our current product line, since we already buy bulk 375 caliber barrel blanks for the 375 SOCOM barrels.

Tony

View Quote

I'm in for a SFAR barrel in 375 Raptor.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Closing in on it.

Tony

https://i.imgur.com/nnnx27I.jpg

View Quote

Very cool.  What kind of metal are you using and is it special?  I know Ruger advertises a special metal but is it even necessary for the extension?
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
A 375 Raptor SFAR is appealing .
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Debo75:

View Quote

Likewise!
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Tony

View Quote

Honestly- kind of interested in a 14.5  6.5 Creedmoor.  As random as that sounds.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Honestly- kind of interested in a 14.5  6.5 Creedmoor.  As random as that sounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:  There is a very good chance we will make some SFAR barrels in 375 Raptor.  

Tony

Would it be easier to get one of those underbarrel flamethrowers?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Not random at all.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Pin and weld +1.5" or SBR?

Tony

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Tony

View All Quotes

Tony

Pin and weld.  I suppose 14.7", if I get to be picky.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought about making some short (10-12") barrels for the SFAR, but with Ruger only selling complete rifles, I'm not sure how big the SBR market is going to be.

Tony

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:59:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#14]
I thought about making some short (10-12") barrels for the SFAR, but with Ruger only selling complete rifles, I'm not sure how big the SBR market is going to be.

Tony

View Quote

True enough - but the barrel life of a 6.5 Creedmoor is about 3000 rounds or so.

A tactile light action shooter 6.5 CM, is going to burn through that pretty quick.  I wore out my PSA PA10 one in about 2-3 years, (pulled it, and cut it down to a 14.5 Grendel)

Meaning there is a market for replacements due to consumption - and no route to replace a worn barrel with an alternately configured one.  The guns are so cost effective, I very well may end up with both a range performance unit (i.e. 20")  AND a tactical unit.  And if I'm going tactical unit, and already have a 20 - a 16" isn't short enough to bother.  But a 14.5(7) P&W is.

Donno how much of the market I represent, but that's my interest.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Tony

View Quote

I would be in for a pin and weld 308
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:  I thought about making some short (10-12") barrels for the SFAR, but with Ruger only selling complete rifles, I'm not sure how big the SBR market is going to be.

Tony
View Quote

You're already making receiver extensions.  If you can make receiver extensions, you can make bolts.  Make a bolt that fits a standard AR carrier, uppers & lowers from billet, and Bob's yer uncle!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#17]

True enough - but the barrel life of a 6.5 Creedmoor is about 3000 rounds or so.

A tactile light action shooter 6.5 CM, is going to burn through that pretty quick.  I wore out my PSA PA10 one in about 2-3 years, (pulled it, and cut it down to a 14.5 Grendel)

Meaning there is a market for replacements due to consumption - and no route to replace a worn barrel with an alternately configured one.  The guns are so cost effective, I very well may end up with both a range performance unit (i.e. 20")  AND a tactical unit.  And if I'm going tactical unit, and already have a 20 - a 16" isn't short enough to bother.  But a 14.5(7) P&W is.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:  I thought about making some short (10-12") barrels for the SFAR, but with Ruger only selling complete rifles, I'm not sure how big the SBR market is going to be.

Tony

What gas length did you go with on the Grendel barrel, what profile, and did you have to plug the Creedmoor port?  Pretty clever reuse of a barrel, but sounds complex.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:47:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#18]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

What gas length did you go with on the Grendel barrel, what profile, and did you have to plug the Creedmoor port?  Pretty clever reuse of a barrel, but sounds complex.
View All Quotes

Tony

I wanted a light weight 14.7 Grendel BBL, and at the time that wasn't commercially available.  

Whack off the ends.  Mill down the HBAR. Tap and plug the gas port.  I went midlength gas, runs great.

It shoots great and I run it on a magnesium lower as my hog gun.  Love it.  A lot.  Imagine having about that same gun at about the same weight, in 6.5 Creedmoor...

(Well- while I'm dreaming - would LOVE 6.5 Grendel bolt and barrel w/ extension for the RDB out of the new alloy.   Imagine that RDB 17" BBL on the right, running 62,000 PSI 6.5 Grendel.)
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#19]

I wanted a light weight 14.7 Grendel BBL, and at the time that wasn't commercially available.  

Whack off the ends.  Mill down the HBAR. Tap and plug the gas port.  I went midlength gas, runs great.

It shoots great and I run it on a magnesium lower as my hog gun.  Love it.  A lot.  Imagine having about that same gun at about the same weight, in 6.5 Creedmoor...

https://i.postimg.cc/RF6kXX5p/20240102-224531.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZYHHkTrL/Screenshot_20240505_173129_Range_Buddy.jpg

(Well- while I'm dreaming - would LOVE 6.5 Grendel bolt and barrel w/ extension for the RDB out of the new alloy.   Imagine that RDB 17" BBL on the right, running 62,000 PSI 6.5 Grendel.)
View All Quotes

Tony

Wondered how you dealt w/ the gas port.  What thread did you go with?  Did you cover the grub screw with a collar on the barrel, or is it just under the handguards?
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#20]

View All Quotes

Tony

I think after you take the bolt and extension out of the equation you're still left with the Grendel brass 58ksi max limitation.  Still would be a significant improvement though .

* 58 is 93% of 62
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#21]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:

I think after you take the bolt and extension out of the equation you're still left with the Grendel brass 58ksi max limitation.  Still would be a significant improvement though .
View All Quotes

Tony

Yea that's the big one.  If not careful, brass could be intersting- I don't know if I'd really go to 62,000 psi
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Yea that's the big one.  If not careful, brass could be intersting- I don't know if I'd really go to 62,000 psi
View All Quotes

Tony

Steel case head, aluminum washer, & brass case gets you to 80k.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Tony

Also a reason I'm fascinated with a .204 based .257-.264 ; similar case capacity as grendel/spc after necking up , but 60ksi with mere mortal metallurgy...though that pesky magazine thing while loading out to 2.5x" .
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Tony

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Really thinking about one of the 16" SFAR's to go with an InfiRay RICO GL35 Thermal I bought from Arms Unlimited on sale. Really like the concept of it being light so by the time I add my Sandman S and the thermal it won't weight all that much, plus having .308 for dispatching anything that might show up at night.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

Likewise!
View All Quotes

Likewise!

If factory ammo were available, so much this!
Makes the 300BLK look like a cute toy, and I love my  blackouts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:

Likewise!

Another good one would be 358 winchester.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#28]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA .243 and 8.6 on there too
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Are you going to sell bolts and extensions an individuals parts too?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I pulled the trigger and got a 16" SFAR in .308 to put my new thermal on. I also got one of the HBI rails I saw in this thread and it actually seems like a nice option for a drop-in rail. The rifle has had some teething issues but nothing serious or major; just one FTF and one stuck case in the 120 rounds I've put through it, but it seems to be breaking in as it's running more smooth as I put more rounds through it.

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Willisinnawoods:
Well, I pulled the trigger and got a 16" SFAR in .308 to put my new thermal on. I also got one of the HBI rails I saw in this thread and it actually seems like a nice option for a drop-in rail. The rifle has had some teething issues but nothing serious or major; just one FTF and one stuck case in the 120 rounds I've put through it, but it seems to be breaking in as it's running more smooth as I put more rounds through it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53842798855_92eb5e84d6_h.jpg
View Quote

Mass production guns tend to be like that.
The money you save on the gun gets spent on ammo for break-in.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have experience swapping buffers/gas blocks/etc? I put a Riflespeed on my 16” with midlength gas, but the one time I went out and shot it the gas block slid free. I put it back on and rockset the screws but haven’t had time to get back out to the range. Anyone using a rifle speed, did you need to swap plungers?

As for buffers, I’ve read multiple people just swapping the buffer tube for an A5 length, throwing in a tubbs AR10 flat wire and either an H1/H2 or even hydraulic buffer. But I’m also reading people are having failures with H2’s and some H1’s after a shooting session due to the weight.

So for those of you who’ve done mods to the gas block/buffer what did you do to make yours run fine?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DackJaniels:
Anyone have experience swapping buffers/gas blocks/etc? I put a Riflespeed on my 16” with midlength gas, but the one time I went out and shot it the gas block slid free. I put it back on and rockset the screws but haven’t had time to get back out to the range. Anyone using a rifle speed, did you need to swap plungers?

As for buffers, I’ve read multiple people just swapping the buffer tube for an A5 length, throwing in a tubbs AR10 flat wire and either an H1/H2 or even hydraulic buffer. But I’m also reading people are having failures with H2’s and some H1’s after a shooting session due to the weight.

So for those of you who’ve done mods to the gas block/buffer what did you do to make yours run fine?
View Quote

Has a single person successfully swapped buffers or anything like that and had a result better than the setup the rifle came with? I can't find anyone who has. Mine is coming back from Ruger now, hopefully it will be here this week yet. They say it is working now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DackJaniels:

View Quote

I've made a few minor changes on mine, put on an Aero AGB, and played with standard buffer weights. Mine is pretty much always suppressed, I've had the H buffer in since before swapping the GB, and preferred the recoil impulse over the H2, also had some lazy cycling with the H2. The AGB has helped a little to limit brass damage, but hasn't stopped it all together, I think ta mid-length .308 is just going to be a bit rough on brass no matter what you do, at least that's been my experience in the past. Shoots fine though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Have y’all tried an Adams arms piston kit on the sfar?  Curious if it could be done.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By country_boy87:  Have y’all tried an Adams arms piston kit on the sfar?  Curious if it could be done.
View Quote

Gonna be tricky w/ a single gas key screw.  For any short stroke piston to be reliable you'll probably need to machine a monolithic carrier.  Could be done, but what do you gain?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Gonna be tricky w/ a single gas key screw.  For any short stroke piston to be reliable you'll probably need to machine a monolithic carrier.  Could be done, but what do you gain?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By country_boy87:  Have y'all tried an Adams arms piston kit on the sfar?  Curious if it could be done.

You should be able to use the Adams Arms carrier.  Might require slight modification, but it should be doable.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: country_boy87] [#38]

View Quote

Poor mans hk417.. Im the poor man, just was curious.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By November5:
You should be able to use the Adams Arms carrier.  Might require slight modification, but it should be doable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By country_boy87:  Have y'all tried an Adams arms piston kit on the sfar?  Curious if it could be done.

There are a few nuances

POF Evolution bolt in an ar15 extension
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#40]

There are a few nuances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZB-hv7mjeg
View All Quotes

There are a few nuances

Duh.  Isn't there a POF piston version?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:34:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#41]

View All Quotes

There are a few nuances

I believe so . I hadn't gotten too deep into it myself as I'm not looking to mod to .473 ... more so .378 . So I'm aware that a std carrier will need relieved for the ar10 mag and the cut out for the fcg . The ruger FP has a specific journal and pinning point ... different than std ar15 . I linked the video because he has all the dimensions and what not involved .

* I didn't mean to sound condescending in the "nuances" post .
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 2:36:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I got mine back today. The notes say the chamber was honed, and it was test fired 20 rounds with no malfunctions. Looking with the bore scope, the chamber definitely looks smoother. The shoulder is still a little rough, better than it was, but the rest looks really well polished. Fingers crossed it does better now. The weather looks good this weekend, hopefully I'll get to do some shooting sunday.

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#43]

There are a few nuances

View All Quotes

There are a few nuances

But we're talking about the carriers, not the bolt or barrel extension.  The location of the ramp might be a nuance that can't be overcome.  Everything else is within modification range.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:01:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: foggy] [#44]
I sent a rude email to Ruger regarding their gas block. Mine is in full contact with the rail and there's less than a mm on the other side.

I told them I'm not going to send it back until they have a better option. There's a pretty good chance this one would contact the rail during recoil, even if it wasn't already touching. I'm sure their engineers have already brought this up.

Bean counters can suck it:

Not centered:
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By foggy:
I sent a rude email to Ruger regarding their gas block. Mine is in full contact with the rail and there's less than a mm on the other side.

I told them I'm not going to send it back until they have a better option. There's a pretty good chance this one would contact the rail during recoil, even if it wasn't already touching. I'm sure their engineers have already brought this up.

Bean counters can suck it:

https://i.imgur.com/KOSpHrf.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/DU3eZw5.jpeg

Not centered:
https://i.imgur.com/4n0N6fr.jpeg
View Quote

Yep. Mine was like that too. I sent it in, for that and another issue with the handguard. They replaced the handguard and did nothing for the block. I bought a suppressor ready rail from Midwest Industries because I didn't like the chincy rail anyways. I could not straighten the block because it would slip right back into the "divit" when I was tightening the screws. The new rail just barely cleared the factory block. I deliberated between my options of riflespeed, a standard gas block with a 50/50 BRT gas tube, or fixing it. l finally opted for option 3 and took it to a smith and had him straighten it and dimple the barrel. I had him shim the barrel while he was there. That cost me 60 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:

Yep. Mine was like that too. I sent it in, for that and another issue with the handguard. They replaced the handguard and did nothing for the block. I bought a suppressor ready rail from Midwest Industries because I didn't like the chincy rail anyways. I could not straighten the block because it would slip right back into the "divit" when I was tightening the screws. The new rail just barely cleared the factory block. I deliberated between my options of riflespeed, a standard gas block with a 50/50 BRT gas tube, or fixing it. l finally opted for option 3 and took it to a smith and had him straighten it and dimple the barrel. I had him shim the barrel while he was there. That cost me 60 bucks.
View Quote

I ordered the superlative arms clamp on block, should avoid the dimple issue.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#47]
But we're talking about the carriers, not the bolt or barrel extension.  The location of the ramp might be a nuance that can't be overcome.  Everything else is within modification range.
View All Quotes

There are a few nuances

Absolutely.  If you track back on the gentleman doing the mods in the video , he has a thread where he documents all the differences between  ar10 , sfar , ar15 ...and pictorally with a micrometer. I just used the vid as a reference point for anyone interested in doing their own mods . Also nice that he got into the differences between POF and SFAR for anyone interested. If there is anyone else doing such breakdowns or mix and matches , I'd be interested  .

* TonyRumore has some interesting proposals!
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#48]

Absolutely.  If you track back on the gentleman doing the mods in the video , he has a thread where he documents all the differences between  ar10 , sfar , ar15 ...and pictorally with a micrometer. I just used the vid as a reference point for anyone interested in doing their own mods . Also nice that he got into the differences between POF and SFAR for anyone interested. If there is anyone else doing such breakdowns or mix and matches , I'd be interested.
View Quote

He has a post on his forum about successfully modding AR15 bolt carriers to work in the SFAR.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#49]

He has a post on his forum about successfully modding AR15 bolt carriers to work in the SFAR.
View All Quotes

Absolutely.  If you track back on the gentleman doing the mods in the video , he has a thread where he documents all the differences between  ar10 , sfar , ar15 ...and pictorally with a micrometer. I just used the vid as a reference point for anyone interested in doing their own mods . Also nice that he got into the differences between POF and SFAR for anyone interested. If there is anyone else doing such breakdowns or mix and matches , I'd be interested.

Yes .
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#50]
A friend of mine invited me out to Big Piney Sportsmans Club here in MO, Friday. He just joined. They have berms with a steel gong at 100yds, 200yds, 300yds. They also have 600yd targets but no gongs at that distance. I didn't try shooting at 600.  

Attachment Attached File

I rang the 300yd gongs with the flip up iron sights on my SFAR. My irons were on but my Aimpoint red dot was off. Back to the 25yd sight in bench.  

My friend gave me an old can of South African 7.62x51. The Ruger liked it. However, it doesn't like my 2015 Lake City or German DAG.
My hope with this rifle is it would replace my M1A Scout.

So far that is not the case. My M1A eats everything. The SFAR is temperamental, preferring soft point hunting ammo.

Also rang the same gongs at the same distances with my 5.56 AR pistol with both irons and matching Aimpoint.

Attachment Attached File

Both were shot sitting at a concrete bench off a sandbag rest.
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top