BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 42
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#1]
I thought they had discontinued the entire A-max line when the ELD's came out, I haven't seen them in quite a while. Sure enough, they still make a 168gr A-max. Likely a coincidence, but mine has been best with the 178gr ELD-x so far with a few powders. The Hornady 180gr SP flat base and BTSP have both failed to produce really good groups. The 200gr Speer Hotcore is horrible, but it has been horrible in every rifle I've ever tried it in. A 175gr Sierra Matchking is also very good, as good as the 178gr ELD-x. I have not tried my cast bullets yet. The only other bullet I want to try that I have on the shelf is the Speer 165gr Grand slam. I'm not sure I want to bother with the A-max, I'm only really interested in controlled expansion hunting bullets for this rifle.

I should also mention I have not tried premium components. Maybe with a good brass like Alpha or Lapua, along with some top end bullets like Berger and such, maybe I could squeak out a little more accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

The cheapest Sig 716i I see is about $300 more than the Rugers are going for. So you could buy a Ruger, a riflespeed gas block and a new rail, for the same price as the Sig.

If the problem is barrel or chamber, just send it back to Ruger.

It seems highly likely that you can make the Ruger reliable, probably for less money. You won't be able to make that pig of a Sig light.
View Quote

The handguard is another thing I forgot about. I happened to get a good one that didn't touch the gas block. I cut clearance for mine anyway, no change in accuracy, but I know for sure it wont ever touch now. It's so frustrating though since Ruger is so close to having such a badass handguard. If they just tweaked it a tiny bit, and added a couple machining steps they could eliminate the problem completely.

I don't have a problem with the gas block itself. Early on they obviously did not have the port sizing figured out. Now they seem spot on. Mine functioned on setting 2 since I took it out of the box. It seems to work just fine with that setting over a fairly large range of ammo and powders. I have not found the minimum yet. At some point I plan to see what the minimum port pressure is using cast bullets on setting 3.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#3]

That's been my experience as well. The barrel isn't the most accurate. In my limited experience with one rifle, match rated ammo shoots the same as M80.
View Quote

In the past Ruger has never been known for cutting edge accuracy in rifles. That said, their American gen 1 and gen 2's have a pretty good reputation for remarkable accuracy. Apparently Ruger can make good barrels if they want. The SFAR doesn't seem to be that, but I'm not going to discount it being something besides the barrel. I'm just spitballing, but maybe a less than ideal barrel to upper fit. Maybe a sloppy upper to lower fit. It could also be the nature of a trimmed down frame that is less than rigid.

I haven't shot mine without the brake either. I'm still waiting for my suppressor, but I'll likely try mine bare muzzle here soon as I prepare for the hunting season. I doubt the brake has anything to do with the accuracy. If I had to guess, the barrel quality is why they are not more accurate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]

That's been my experience as well. The barrel isn't the most accurate. In my limited experience with one rifle, match rated ammo shoots the same as M80.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
There's people who have had some reliability issues, but it doesn't seem to be a design flaw. I said earlier something along the lines of there seems to be three kinds of SFAR owners. Those who got a good one and are happy, those who got one with a problem, sent it back to Ruger who fixed it, and are happy, and those who got one with a problem and decided to modify the gun and never got it to work right. I bought mine less than 6 months ago, it had a rough chamber, it was fixed by Ruger, and it has not had a single issue of any kind since then. It is one of my favorite rifles for sure.

I'm not sure I would 100% discredit a big AR10/gen1 though. I have not seen where anyone has yet got what I consider impressive accuracy from an SFAR. It is possible the Ruger barrel quality isn't up to par, or maybe it's something else. It's still better than an out of the box Springfield M1A, but it doesn't seem to be as good as even cheaper AR10's. I've tried a number of bullets and loads in mine, and the accuracy of my SFAR seems to be topped out at about 1 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. If Kreiger or someone top level like that offers replacement 308 barrels for these, I might give it a try, but until then, it's a 1.5 to 2 moa rifle, which is not that bad. So many people are spoiled by todays AR15's, but the idea of a sub MOA out of the box semi auto is a very recent one. If you wanted to shoot targets, or take longer range shots for hunting, then I would still consider an AR10. If you are ok with the range limitation, the SFAR is great.

Modern guns call for modern cartridges.

6.5CM is what you seek.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 1:30:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#5]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

6.5CM is what you seek.

View Quote

In looking at the chart you posted earlier, your 6.5 rifle is a near mirror image to the results to what I'm getting with my 308. It would be nice if I could get into that lower 1" range average like you seem to have found with that 85gr. I just haven't found that combo yet. Still, neither yours or mine are what I feel any of us can call honest MOA rifles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]

6.5CM is what you seek.

https://i.postimg.cc/PfWq6sFJ/Screenshot-20240603-013958-Range-Buddy.jpg
View All Quotes
There's people who have had some reliability issues, but it doesn't seem to be a design flaw. I said earlier something along the lines of there seems to be three kinds of SFAR owners. Those who got a good one and are happy, those who got one with a problem, sent it back to Ruger who fixed it, and are happy, and those who got one with a problem and decided to modify the gun and never got it to work right. I bought mine less than 6 months ago, it had a rough chamber, it was fixed by Ruger, and it has not had a single issue of any kind since then. It is one of my favorite rifles for sure.

I'm not sure I would 100% discredit a big AR10/gen1 though. I have not seen where anyone has yet got what I consider impressive accuracy from an SFAR. It is possible the Ruger barrel quality isn't up to par, or maybe it's something else. It's still better than an out of the box Springfield M1A, but it doesn't seem to be as good as even cheaper AR10's. I've tried a number of bullets and loads in mine, and the accuracy of my SFAR seems to be topped out at about 1 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. If Kreiger or someone top level like that offers replacement 308 barrels for these, I might give it a try, but until then, it's a 1.5 to 2 moa rifle, which is not that bad. So many people are spoiled by todays AR15's, but the idea of a sub MOA out of the box semi auto is a very recent one. If you wanted to shoot targets, or take longer range shots for hunting, then I would still consider an AR10. If you are ok with the range limitation, the SFAR is great.

6.5CM is what you seek.

I think we have different purposes and expectations for what we are using these rifles for. I have a bolt gun 308 or 300Win Mag that will shoot tiny groups with match ammo, in the off chance I want to do that on a random day. My SFAR is for banging steel with M80 and is accurate enough for that task, to reasonable ranges. I probably won't ever have the time and inclination to tune a load for it or mess with the gun a lot trying to squeak out a bit more accuracy. It would be surprising to stretch it beyond 500 yards, and extremely unlikely to attempt beyond 700.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]

I think we have different purposes and expectations for what we are using these rifles for. I have a bolt gun 308 or 300Win Mag that will shoot tiny groups with match ammo, in the off chance I want to do that on a random day. My SFAR is for banging steel with M80 and is accurate enough for that task, to reasonable ranges. I probably won't ever have the time and inclination to tune a load for it or mess with the gun a lot trying to squeak out a bit more accuracy. It would be surprising to stretch it beyond 500 yards, and extremely unlikely to attempt beyond 700.

View All Quotes

6.5CM is what you seek.

You bet, andthats a great usage.

Just responding to the statement that it can't be made to shoot better with even match ammo.  I will agree with the general statement that it's not a 1MOA nominal gun even with match ammo.  But in 6.5CM at least, you can tune some loads to get you there.  

I also find that Ruger barrels can sometimes tighten with age - sometimes, FWIW.

But really, I agree with much of what you say.  And most people buying should expect this to be a 1.5 MOA level gun with good ammo.  And really, for what it is and most service, that's just fine.  I've run mine to 800 yards with good effect.  For most real world shots, even at distance, 1.5 MOA does a lot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:13:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#8]
My SFAR shoots pretty good with a 21" 6mm Creedmoor barrel on it.  
Here's 3 shots at 300 yards, then I fired two more to round out the 5 shot group.
105gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets.

Tony

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your company Tony. Do you make your own barrels? Do you use cut rifling or button? Do you have any plans to make a 16" 308 SFAR barrel?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#10]
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your company Tony. Do you make your own barrels? Do you use cut rifling or button? Do you have any plans to make a 16" 308 SFAR barrel?
View Quote

We don't make the barrel blanks themselves, we buy them from quite a number of different barrel blank makers.  So far, sales and interest in our SFAR barrels has been pretty much non-existent.
At this point, I think we'll just hold back and be the second mouse to the cheese on this one.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

ETA: We did conduct some additional high-pressure testing of our SFAR barrel extension....minutes prior to firing the above 300 yard group.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you buying the blanks already profiled and everything? Is there any reason my existing extension can't be put on a new blank?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:04:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#12]
We machine/chamber/head space/thread the barrels in-house.

Your existing Ruger SFAR barrel extension can be removed and reinstalled on another barrel, no problem.
You can just send it to Thomas Pola at Paladin Machine and have him spin up whatever you want.  His website is www.tp555.com

Tony
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

We don't make the barrel blanks themselves, we buy them from quite a number of different barrel blank makers.  So far, sales and interest in our SFAR barrels has been pretty much non-existent.
At this point, I think we'll just hold back and be the second mouse to the cheese on this one.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

ETA: We did conduct some additional high-pressure testing of our SFAR barrel extension....minutes prior to firing the above 300 yard group.   Just in case an engineer or tool and die maker might buy one of our barrels.

https://i.imgur.com/ppf4Y92.jpg

View Quote
what barrels were you selling? I only see the 16" 8.6blk barrels, which is a configuration I can imagine being rather unpopular (8.6blk still being not really well received, and then they would theoretically only be interesting in SBR barrel lengths).

From the sounds of this thread, the people looking for new barrels for their SFAR would likely be the same kinds of people who were looking for replacement barrels for their Ruger Precision Rifles - looking for something more precise/accurate than factory. If you guys could figure out MOA guaranteed 308 or 6.5cm barrels, those would likely be more popular than 8.6blk barrels.

Then again, maybe you already tried that, and all that's left are the 8.6blk barrels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I only see the 16" 8.6blk barrels, which is a configuration I can imagine being rather unpopular (8.6blk still being not really well received, and then they would theoretically only be interesting in SBR barrel lengths).
View Quote

The 8.6 makes zero sense unless shooting subsonic, especially in a platform than can be chambered in the much faster .338 Federal.

Therefore, it makes even less sense in a 16" barrel, as you point out.

Even what little factory support the 8.6 had for a brief time seems to have dried up.  

It will likely die a slow death, unless there will are enough lingering hangers-on giving mouth-to-mouth...

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I really don't know what the average SFAR owner would want. I intend to hunt with mine, and there's really no drawback to more accuracy. Maybe I could find a load that is a little more accurate, but how much would it take to get there? Does it really make sense to spend $300 on components to get a load that shoots a little better, instead of spending $400-$500 on a barrel that will shoot better all around? I have no interest in odd calibers, chrome bores, or crazy twist rates. All I want is a plain 308 barrel that shoots really good. I would probably lean towards a Kreiger just because they are one of the few making a really good M14/M1A barrel, and I would like one of those as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
what barrels were you selling? I only see the 16" 8.6blk barrels, which is a configuration I can imagine being rather unpopular (8.6blk still being not really well received, and then they would theoretically only be interesting in SBR barrel lengths).

From the sounds of this thread, the people looking for new barrels for their SFAR would likely be the same kinds of people who were looking for replacement barrels for their Ruger Precision Rifles - looking for something more precise/accurate than factory. If you guys could figure out MOA guaranteed 308 or 6.5cm barrels, those would likely be more popular than 8.6blk barrels.

Then again, maybe you already tried that, and all that's left are the 8.6blk barrels.
View Quote

Same here, I was keeping an eye on Tromix SFAR barrels since they were first out the gate, but never saw any interesting chambering/configurations offered and now it seems like they're discontinued. Oddball and expensive to shoot 8.6 barrels or long Creedmor barrels aren't what I would expect to have wide appeal for a compact light rifle like the SFAR. Configurations that I would have liked to see would be more along the lines of:

- 16" 7-08 and .308 with a more appropriate intermediate gas system (mid kind of sucks suppressed on a .308 AR).
- 16" 6 and 6.5 Creed barrels with intermediate or rifle gas.
(All lightweight profile barrels, don't want to cock up a lightweight general purpose or hunting rifle with a truck axle barrel).

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#17]
Originally Posted By Gtscotty:

Same here, I was keeping an eye on Tromix SFAR barrels since they were first out the gate, but never saw any interesting chambering/configurations offered and now it seems like they're discontinued. Oddball and expensive to shoot 8.6 barrels or long Creedmor barrels aren't what I would expect to have wide appeal for a compact light rifle like the SFAR. Configurations that I would have liked to see would be more along the lines of:

- 16" 7-08 and .308 with a more appropriate intermediate gas system (mid kind of sucks suppressed on a .308 AR).
- 16" 6 and 6.5 Creed barrels with intermediate or rifle gas.
(All lightweight profile barrels, don't want to cock up a lightweight general purpose or hunting rifle with a truck axle barrel).

View Quote
I'm planning to buy a 20" 6.5cm SFAR and chop it to 16" so I can have a rifle gas 16" barrel.

I was able to get a 16" 308 rifle gas barrel for my Rogue directly from POF, because they make a 16" rifle-gas Revolution.

So this is probably a good point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#18]
I really don't know what the average SFAR owner would want.
View Quote

You and me both.  If you look back in this thread, it doesn't appear to be even two guys that want the same barrel/caliber/configuration.  It's all over the place.

We only made the 8.6 BLK SFAR barrels because we already had the blanks sitting in stock.  There are a few guys that only shoot subsonic suppressed and few guys that only shoot supersonic unsuppressed, but I take a pile of calls all day long and the common theme is most guys want to shoot everything.  Supers, subs, suppressed, unsuppressed......they want to do it all with one setup.  Personally, I think that is a bad idea, that simply results in a lot of compromise, but whatever.  The 8.6 BLK can do it all, but it's certainly a compromise on both ends, since its short on capacity for supers and long on capacity for subs.

At this point in the SFAR aftermarket, businesses that are set up to run one-off barrels made-to-order with long lead times are the only guys that can play at the moment, and unfortunately, that's not us.  

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

I'd speculate that there's not much point in 6.5 or 308 barrels since both options are available as complete rifles. Yes. You could make some variance in length but most buyers are probably not really interested in 18" vs 20" or whatever.

8.6 might be okay but it is too niche. That leaves other 308 based cartridges like 7mm-08, 260 Rem, 243 and then some 338 and 35 caliber options. There might be some commercial interest in one or a few of these but probably not in large quantities.

Lastly, this leaves something like 6mm Creedmoor. This might be a decent option since there's interest in the cartridge right now and Ruger isn't doing anything with it.
View Quote

I was actually surprised to see Ruger came out with the 6.5 CM before the 243 Winchester. I'm guessing that will be the next factory offering soon enough.

I know people often do caliber changes in AR15 due to the availability of parts,  plus all the odd cartridges trying to maximize the small space constraint, but is that much of a thing in the large frames? It seems to me the majority of people who swap barrels on AR10's get the same caliber, but a better barrel for accuracy. I haven't seen a whole lot of guys who buy an AR10 in 308, and then get a second upper for 7-08 or whatever caliber. It seems to me that people who use the large frames generally buy/build them a certain way, and that's the way they stay. Because space is less a concern, there's not a lot of need for specialty cartridges. Maybe it could change in the future if uppers became common for the SFAR, but I wouldn't count on it. As it is, I bought the rifle I want, I just want a higher quality barrel of exactly the same caliber and dimensions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the main reason the market is tough is that this gun is only sold as a gun and the vast majority of customers aren't looking to swap barrels. It's a tough market when you can't get the small parts or have a spare upper. If it continues to do well which I think it will eventually it will be a much bigger market.

I can think of all kinds of cool configurations you could do even in the calibers they already offer but that's a moot point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#22]
NutNFancy doesn't trust it. I do. But maybe I just got lucky with mine and I'd change my perspective after running a course or two with it.

Why I Don't Trust the Ruger SFAR Anymore (Desert Drill)
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#23]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
NutNFancy doesn't trust it. I do. But maybe I just got lucky with mine and I'd change my perspective after running a course or two with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkVCpo47E1k
View Quote

That guy has a type of autism that is useful to our community as a reviewer and external QC type of role for certain people. Dudes like him spaz out a lot when things have the normal level of imperfection that typically corresponds with the degree of innovation and the lack of soak time that the SFAR is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
I'm planning to buy a 20" 6.5cm SFAR and chop it to 16" so I can have a rifle gas 16" barrel.

I was able to get a 16" 308 rifle gas barrel for my Rogue directly from POF, because they make a 16" rifle-gas Revolution.

So this is probably a good point.
View Quote

Really?
I got denied by them years ago.
How much was it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#25]

View Quote

It looks like his had the exact same problem mine did. The only difference is you will see in the comments he specifically left the gas as it came from the factory, which is setting 3. It seems pretty shitty to me to not switch it to setting 2. Factory out of the box or not, the instructions tell you to use setting 2 if you can. Setting 3 is for adverse conditions or break in. Mine ran setting 2 from day 1.

Still, it seems Ruger really needs to step up the game with the chambers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#26]

It looks like his had the exact same problem mine did. The only difference is you will see in the comments he specifically left the gas as it came from the factory, which is setting 3. It seems pretty shitty to me to not switch it to setting 2. Factory out of the box or not, the instructions tell you to use setting 2 if you can. Setting 3 is for adverse conditions or break in. Mine ran setting 2 from day 1.

View All Quotes

If you could save me watching one of his videos and explain the issue I would be greatly appreciative. Sounds like he was using the wrong gas setting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#27]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:

Really?
I got denied by them years ago.
How much was it?
View Quote
They sold me a 16" rifle gas revolution barrel + stripped Rogue upper for $325 and $272 respectively.

It was over the phone, and the sales guy was happy to sell me the parts based on a pricing sheet he had in front of him apparently, and took my card number over the phone. After a week of no news, I called back and got a random dude who told me I must be mistaken since they don't sell parts individually like that, but transferred me to sales, and the same sales guy I talked to told me not to worry about it, and the parts would ship soon.

I got an invoice/shipping notification the next day.

ETA: and the parts arrived. Everything was great except the pin on the barrel extension was too high to allow a barrel nut to screw on. Not sure if that means it didn't get seated properly, or what. But I just filed it down to fit. This wasn't the case on my existing Rogue barrel, so I don't think it's by design.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 3:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#28]

Reloads or factory loaded? If reloads, please share your load data.

Have you tried any other ammo? If so, what was the accuracy?

Thanks
View Quote

Reloads. 41.0 G of 8208. Working great in my 16 inch 308 I built and the 20 inch SFAR. My 12 inch doesn't like them so much. I don't shoot factory loads.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 5:04:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dark_zero_x] [#29]
So I've been having problems running m80 ball unsupressed in my sfar. Supressed it's 100% and soft shooting. I'm around 800 rounds in so it's past the break in, and had plenty of time to foul up and seal any GB leaks.

I have to run it on setting 3 to extract and feed the next round but I'm pretty sure it's going to detach my retina if I keep it up.  I contacted ruger and they sent the "new" regulator design that is identical to my current regulator. Now I can very rarely get the gun to cycle and feed the next round, most of the time it ejects but does not feed the next round and I get a click on an empty chamber. Sometimes it can't even eject the spent round, gets hung up about half way. Still clearly undergassed. I'm about to just get a rifle speed gas block and another rail, I love the form factor and it's a great gun suppressed but I just want it to run with ball ammo. Any tricks?

I swapped in a springco hot white and it definitely imporved but still having problems 5/25 rounds. It's definitely undergassed
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Dark_zero_x:
So I've been having problems running m80 ball unsupressed in my sfar. Supressed it's 100% and soft shooting. I'm around 800 rounds in so it's past the break in, and had plenty of time to foul up and seal any GB leaks.

I have to run it on setting 3 to extract and feed the next round but I'm pretty sure it's going to detach my retina if I keep it up.  I contacted ruger and they sent the "new" regulator design that is identical to my current regulator. Now I can very rarely get the gun to cycle and feed the next round, most of the time it ejects but does not feed the next round and I get a click on an empty chamber. Sometimes it can't even eject the spent round, gets hung up about half way. Still clearly undergassed. I'm about to just get a rifle speed gas block and another rail, I love the form factor and it's a great gun suppressed but I just want it to run with ball ammo. Any tricks?

I swapped in a springco hot white and it definitely imporved but still having problems 5/25 rounds. It's definitely undergassed
View Quote

My solution is to shoot suppressed all the time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I find that unacceptable, I have other guns to use my can on. I would like the gun to work in most conditions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#32]

I find that unacceptable, I have other guns to use my can on. I would like the gun to work in most conditions.
View All Quotes

Sure. A good reason to buy a dedicated can, for which the gun would work in most conditions while having the can
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#33]
It's definitely undergassed
View Quote

Easily remedied with a drill bit

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
I whipped up an SFAR barrel chambered in 375 Auto Mag a few days ago (for personal use).  I cut it from a Pac-Nor 1:8 Super Match blank, 12" long, Tromix SFAR barrel extension, pistol gas, .875" gas block journal, with a Bowers Vers375 suppressor.
It works surprisingly well firing Maker Bullets 400 grain Subsonic Expanders.

Tony

P.S. I registered my SFAR lower as an SBR.

https://i.imgur.com/v0fbleW.jpg

View Quote

Would you be consider selling just the barrel extension? Seems like that would sidestep the dilemma of everyone wanting a different barrel length/caliber and make it easier for people to get their desired barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone changed out the stock handguard to a geissle MK-16 and used the OEM gas block ?
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#36]
How was your weekend?

Though in fairness, I did get some FTE jams after it got dirty- that could be better.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#37]
Got mine out to try out the velos 7.62.  Had to open up the gb block a couple clicks to get it to cycle. It still shoots. (Five shots in the four hole)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Beater9C1:
Has anyone changed out the stock handguard to a geissle MK-16 and used the OEM gas block ?
View Quote

That’s a no go. The Ruger gas block isn’t worth keeping if you’re going to pull the barrel anyway.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:46:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#39]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

That's a no go. The Ruger gas block isn't worth keeping if you're going to pull the barrel anyway.
View Quote
I recently learned that their way of securing the gas tube in the factory gas block is through two pins that capture the tube, instead of a roll pin going through the tube.

And what has happened to some people (apparently this isn't common, but it HAS happened), is that the tube strips itself out and won't stay seated anymore. And since it's not a normal gas tube, you can't just buy a new one.

If the gas block problems and size weren't already enough, I'm 100% convinced to replace the gas block/tube on the SFAR regardless of the handguard I'm using.

Page / 42
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top