Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 268
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 2:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Soupmod05] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:

Are you using a reaction rod or some form of bev block? I have removed tons of rocksett-ed muzzle devices with just a 12 inch socket wrench.
Rocksett is not even as strong as blue loctite
View Quote
Yes, i am using both. I will give it another try when i get of work. Also saw somewhere putting the muzzle device in boiling water may help.

Pic for new page!

Link Posted: 10/9/2019 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Soupmod05:

putting the muzzle device in boiling water may help.

https://i.imgur.com/EpFOv8e.jpg
View Quote
Man, this brings back memories. Hi guys hope you've all been well!

PS I was totally lost last yr and these guys were helping me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quick question, does anyone have any negative opinions on putting a Law Folder on the 10.3 URGI? I dont want to screw up reliabalitly but it would help me in transportation and allow me to add a VFG. Been strongly considering.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By splbass17:
Quick question, does anyone have any negative opinions on putting a Law Folder on the 10.3 URGI? I dont want to screw up reliabalitly but it would help me in transportation and allow me to add a VFG. Been strongly considering.
View Quote
10.3 URGI is not a clone or issued, so who cares what you put on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

View Quote
dont know how thats relevant since he asked about reliability not clone correctness.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:12:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#6]
View Quote
If you're thinking a folder will get you above 26" OAL to add a VFG on a pistol, no such luck. The current ATF doctrine is to measure a folding pistol/"firearm" in the folded position.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:
dont know how thats relevant since he asked about reliability not clone correctness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Yes sir, I don't clone, your right. Was hoping maybe someone else did it to theirs and had all good things to say.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By krdt:

If you're thinking a folder will get you above 26" OAL to add a VFG on a pistol, no such luck. The current ATF doctrine is to measure a folding pistol/"firearm" in the folded position.
View Quote
Darn and thank you so much for the reminder...I forgot about that. It was half for transpo and other half for the VFG, I think I may say scew it then.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Soupmod05:

Yes, i am using both. I will give it another try when i get of work. Also saw somewhere putting the muzzle device in boiling water may help.

Pic for new page!

https://i.imgur.com/EpFOv8e.jpg
View Quote
I could be seeing things, but do you have a zip tie going around the barrel, or is that just the tail that you tucked into the MLOK slot?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I know its not "clone correct" or confirmed as being issued to any units, but the URGI 10.3 "bendy rail" is slicker, lighter, and with MLOK modularity and while the MK18 is an iconic look I do enjoy the URGI profile as well. I'm happy I have one. That being said, any word on why it is listed as "discontinued" on Brownells? This could just be an SKU thing because the 14.5 URGI is also listed as Discontinued with a new (I think) "USASOC 14.5 URGI" item listed for sale (its the exact same config as what was previously sold on Brownells as the 14.5 URGI just without the word USASOC next to it). More out of curiosity than concern here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Can someone do a quick pic dump of the USMC URG-I trial guns? I know they are in this thread, but I don't want to look through 135 pages...

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is my contribution

Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the_life_and_times] [#14]
Darn and thank you so much for the reminder...I forgot about that. It was half for transpo and other half for the VFG, I think I may say scew it then.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By krdt:

Depending on how deep of pockets / good of lawyer friends you have, I suspect that the ATFs doctrine would not hold up in court—with the law folder specifically—given that it is not design/intended to function when folded. Probably not worth it and better just to do and 11.5 pistol to not deal with the headache and run an AFG. Again though, if you are feeling spicy, technically many ‘vertical’ fore grips (I.e. BCM gunfighter vertical grips) are actually angled something other than 90 degrees. So you might be able to make the case that it is not a “vertical” grip... if you and up doing it and getting prosecuted I’ll toss you a 50 for your legal defense fund, just PM me.

ETA: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#15]
Originally Posted By methical20:
Can someone do a quick pic dump of the USMC URG-I trial guns? I know they are in this thread, but I don't want to look through 135 pages...

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
View Quote
I can't find the others, but I did save some on my phone.

Edit: Forgot to post the link. It's around page 15.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=15#i7673311
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By the_life_and_times:

Depending on how deep of pockets / good of lawyer friends you have, I suspect that the ATFs doctrine would not hold up in court—with the law folder specifically—given that it is not design/intended to function when folded. Probably not worth it and better just to do and 11.5 pistol to not deal with the headache and run an AFG. Again though, if you are feeling spicy, technically many ‘vertical’ fore grips (I.e. BCM gunfighter vertical grips) are actually angled something other than 90 degrees. So you might be able to make the case that it is not a “vertical” grip... if you and up doing it and getting prosecuted I’ll toss you a 50 for your legal defense fund, just PM me.

ETA: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.
View Quote
Relevant story as it relates to dudes with big balls challenging ATF regs (yea, I know it’s cnn, but it’s actually a decently detailed article that, due to the story being about technicalities, avoids most of the ignorance often found in mass media firearms coverage): https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/us/ar-15-guns-law-atf-invs/index.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I read that an hour ago.  Brings into question then about every semi auto pistol just about.

CD
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I’m sorry if I missed this in an earlier post but who is making the BCG for these receivers?  I have a brand new Colt BCG that looks to have better staking and I am thinking of just using the Colt BCG and selling off the one that came with it. I want this upper to be bullet proof. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 11:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#19]
Originally Posted By Rxcoug98:
I’m sorry if I missed this in an earlier post but who is making the BCG for these receivers?  I have a brand new Colt BCG that looks to have better staking and I am thinking of just using the Colt BCG and selling off the one that came with it. I want this upper to be bullet proof. Any thoughts?
View Quote
AO Precision

Just shoot it till it starts acting up. Keep the other one as a spare or use it on another build.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
I read that an hour ago.  Brings into question then about every semi auto pistol just about.

CD
View Quote
I’m trying to wrap my head around it. Need to go read the law and the ruling, but it seems like the ruling might have said the receiver needs to house both the bolt and the trigger mechanism. So yea, seems like most handguns are encompassed within all this.

Vaguely exciting, but of course the potential downside is congress actually changes the NFA\GCA for the worse because people just start legally end-running both...
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#21]
My 10.3 upper came with an H3 buffer and spring. What kind of reliability are people having running weaker brass cased ammo unsupressed with that combo?  I’m thinking an H2 might be a better choice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Need some help, does this look authentic?

Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Isn’t that one of the early ones?

Mine has the same left side but a stamped & subdued:

Geissele Automatics
North Wales, PA

on the right side.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I’m trying to wrap my head around it. Need to go read the law and the ruling, but it seems like the ruling might have said the receiver needs to house both the bolt and the trigger mechanism. So yea, seems like most handguns are encompassed within all this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
I don't want to take this too much further off topic, but it's a really interesting case from a legal standpoint.  Massachusetts, strangely enough, doesn't consider the frame of a semi-auto pistol to be a firearm, so while there are pistols that are not on the state's approved list for sale, like Glock Gen 4 and Gen 5 pistols, a buyer can have the frame of one of those pistols transferred in from out of state, and then combine it with the barrel and slide after purchasing it.

In reference to 80% lowers, this case in LA appears to explain why the ATF says that you cannot borrow tools or use someone else's shop or jig to finish an 80% lower, or that person would be considered a "manufacturer" for allowing you to use their equipment.

Back on topic: it's great to see the photos of these uppers in service. Very interesting to see the gas block variations out there. It sounded like it was a done deal that they were going to be using the Geissele gas block, but it doesn't seem to be that straightforward. I'm not sure if I've seen a definitive answer as to whether any of these kits are coming with the Geissele block when they are delivered to USASOC, or if they all come with the DD (non-Mk12) block.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:02:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TPNES] [#27]
Maybe Combat Diver could shed some light on if Geissele gas blocks vs DD gas blocks are being used (he may already have, but I was late to the URGI game when I got mine in September and mated it to an LMT lower, and havn't had the patience to read all 140 pages of this thread). Somewhere around reading about bendy rail gate I decided to stop worrying and just order the damn thing. I went with the 10.3'' Complete Near Clone, which has the G gas block and a non-advertised mil-spec BCG and upper receiver. I also got a Colt cage coded upper and Colt BCG, but decided not to use them, going to put a Daniel Defense rail/barrel on those and have a Mk18 as well.

I am also wondering out of curiosity if any teams are receiving the 10.3'' URGI to replace their Mk18's even though it doesn't currently have an NSN.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TPNES:
Maybe Combat Diver could shed some light on if Geissele gas blocks vs DD gas blocks are being used (he may already have, but I was late to the URGI game when I got mine in September and mated it to an LMT lower, and havn't had the patience to read all 140 pages of this thread). Somewhere around reading about bendy rail gate I decided to stop worrying and just order the damn thing. I went with the 10.3'' Complete Near Clone, which has the G gas block and a non-advertised mil-spec BCG and upper receiver. I also got a Colt cage coded upper and Colt BCG, but decided not to use them, going to put a Daniel Defense rail/barrel on those and have a Mk18 as well.

I am also wondering out of curiosity if any teams are receiving the 10.3'' URGI to replace their Mk18's even though it doesn't currently have an NSN.
View Quote
@TPNES

There are pictures on the previous page. Looks like DD Lo-Pro blocks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By WEK207:

@TPNES

View Quote
Thanks bud! I did see those, but have also read people saying there was some issue with the DD lo-pro so now there will be Geissele blocks instead? So people that originally went with G gas blocks will now end up as "clone correct" (this doesn't matter to me since my build has several non-clone parts, but I am interested out of curiosity what ends up happening with the whole URGI rumor mill).
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#30]
The dd mk12 gb were causing issues with fitment so it looks like they went with the dd lp gb
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks bud! I did see those, but have also read people saying there was some issue with the DD lo-pro so now there will be Geissele blocks instead? So people that originally went with G gas blocks will now end up as "clone correct" (this doesn't matter to me since my build has several non-clone parts, but I am interested out of curiosity what ends up happening with the whole URGI rumor mill).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WEK207:

@TPNES

The DD pinned low profile gas block is clone correct. Nobody has one like that as far as I know. All the commercial ones sold were DD Mk12 or Geissele.

The 10.3" URG-I is not being issued and it looks like it won't be.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

The DD pinned low profile gas block is clone correct. Nobody has one like that as far as I know. All the commercial ones sold were DD Mk12 or Geissele.

The 10.3" URG-I is not being issued and it looks like it won't be.
View Quote
is this gonna be like the SF4P?  in the near future, the $400 GB to be found only on the EE?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M3iser] [#33]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

is this gonna be like the SF4P?  in the near future, the $400 GB to be found only on the EE?
View Quote
It's the same low profile gas block offered when buying a new barrel from DD right now. You can get one right now, just have to buy the barrel to get it.

Also Geissele is now using MK12's that are modified on the bottom corners that were hitting the rail, on their "clone correct" uppers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#34]
$359 - 14.5 mid length gov barrels on DDs website
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RMiller:
$359 - 14.5 mid length gov barrels on DDs website
View Quote
In and then out of stock at Primary Arms on the same day...

DD Gov Barrel assy with Gas Block 07-077-07308
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: red6actual] [#36]
That was quick...

What length picatinny sections come with kit and who makes them?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#37]
That was quick...

View Quote
I asked, but no one answered.

CD posted some pics on pg 131. Looks like 7 slot rail sections, and probably from Geissele.

Edit: Link to post: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=131#i7954594
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M3iser] [#38]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

CD posted some pics on pg 131. Looks like 7 slot rail sections, and probably from Geissele.

Edit: Link to post: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=131#i7954594
View All Quotes
That was quick...

Hope that helps.

M4A1 UPPER RECEIVER GROUP KIT, CONVERTS THE UPPER RECEIVER OF A M4A1 TO AN IMPROVED BARREL AND RAIL ASSEMBLY. KIT CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING ITEMS: (1) 1EA, MID-LENGTH GAS SYSTEM 14.5 INCH COLD HAMMER FORGED BARREL, P/N: 07-077-07308, 1EA. (2) PIN, GAS BLOCK, URG-I, P/N: 15-028-02227, 1 EA (3) 14.5 MID-LENGTH GAS TUBE WITH PIN, P/N: 04-013-18034, 1 SET; (4) 14.5 BARREL REPLACEMENT KIT, P/N 408JXN00906, 1 KT; (5) GAS TUBE, PIN SPRING, P/N 15-028-04094, 1 EA;(6) CHARGING HANDLE (COYOTE), P/N: 05-664S,1EA. (7) M-LOK HANDGUARD COYOTE, MARK 16 13.5 INCH, P/N: 05-650S, 1EA. (8) M-LOK ALUMINUM RAIL SECTION, 7 SLOTS-BLACK, P/N: MAG582-BLK, 3EA. (9) M-LOK QD SLING MOUNT BLACK, P/N: MAG606-BLK,1EA. (10) BARREL NUT WRENCH, P/N: 02-243,1EA. H9D/SOCOM LOGISTICS HELPDESK:
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By M3iser:

Hope that helps.

View Quote
Nice. Magpul?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Nice. Magpul?
View Quote
CD would have to confirm but appears to be 3 EA. MAG582-BLK

https://www.operationparts.com/magpul-m-lok-aluminum-rail-section-7-slots/
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Magpul it is then, thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I've seen them but haven't look closely at them to ID.  I'll try and confirm that they are MagPuls.
CD
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#43]
There is a dude on facebook claiming he's in AFG and has a URG-I with DD upper/BCG/other parts

And the rail on is URG-I is a Geissele Mk13 and they use OSS suppressors

Seems sketch to me

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Contractor or agency guns can be anything.  Not really a URGI as that is a specific USASOC weapon platform.

CD
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M3iser] [#45]
The MK12 block on my URGI was resting on the rail, I ended up ordering a new DD barrel with the low profile GB for the URGI.

Decided to use the other barrel with a RIS. Any other guys ever used a midlength barrel with the RIS rail? If so which GB did you use?

Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By M3iser:
The MK12 block on my URGI was resting on the rail, I ended up ordering a new DD barrel with the low profile GB for the URGI.

Decided to use the other barrel with a RIS. Any other guys ever used a midlength barrel with the RIS rail? If so which GB did you use?

https://i.postimg.cc/HkLFSGX4/IMG-2443.jpg
View Quote
The Mk12 gas block won't fit a mid length barrel with the RIS II. Any low profile gas block should fit but I would suggest sticking with the carbine length barrel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M3iser] [#47]

The Mk12 gas block won't fit a mid length barrel with the RIS II. Any low profile gas block should fit but I would suggest sticking with the carbine length barrel.
View Quote
I tried the Geissele modified MK12 GB, a Geissele GB, and a BCM. The BCM was the only one that had good clearance, but I don't like the one setscrew being different than the DD barrel dimple location. So I think the Colt or FN carbine barrel may be the solution.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#48]
View Quote
my Badger Ordnance Mk12 GB fits fine inside my DD RIS II.  no contact at the bottom.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/ar-15-10/mk-12-spr-gas-manifold-75-bbls-416-stainless-steel-black-oxide.html
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#49]
my Badger Ordnance Mk12 GB fits fine inside my DD RIS II.  no contact at the bottom.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/ar-15-10/mk-12-spr-gas-manifold-75-bbls-416-stainless-steel-black-oxide.html
View All Quotes

You have a mid length barrel under the RIS II?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:29:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#50]
You have a mid length barrel under the RIS II?
View Quote
no, it's a Colt SOCOM.  You're right, the DD RIS II lower rail has the cutout at the carbine location providing clearance for the GB.
Page / 268
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top