Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 268
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Akin:
I’m getting ready to buy one of these uppers, but Brownells says they have been discontinued? Anyone know what the story is?
View Quote
They are on sale right now direct from G and come with a free SSA trigger.

Do it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
There's 2 different listings for the 14.5 inch upper. The one that is discontinued has the Colt parts on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
I’m getting ready to buy one of these uppers, but Brownells says they have been discontinued? Anyone know what the story is?
There's 2 different listings for the 14.5 inch upper. The one that is discontinued has the Colt parts on it.
Okay, yeah, if you search for “URG-I” the discontinued one comes up but if you spell it out you get the in-stock ones.

Looks like a couple of hundred less than the sale Geissele has, too, though it doesn’t come with that trigger.

What does the brain trust think? Is the trigger worth it?

I also can use that website with the rebates from Brownells... dang it, forget the name...
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Okay, yeah, if you search for “URG-I” the discontinued one comes up but if you spell it out you get the in-stock ones.

Looks like a couple of hundred less than the sale Geissele has, too, though it doesn’t come with that trigger.

I also can use that website with the rebates from Brownells... dang it, forget the name...
View Quote
If you don't have a SSA you need one. And they are clone correct!
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
Getting it from Brownells gives you:

- couple hundred less
- Active Junky rebate
- probably quicker shipping*

Of course you won’t have a trigger but you can always get one of those on sale at Black Friday.

*make sure if you’re using a free shipping code to select the 3-5 business day shipping. It’ll likely be faster than G’s slow as molasses UPS Mail Innovations.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

- couple hundred less
- Active Junky rebate
- probably quicker shipping*

Of course you won’t have a trigger but you can always get one of those on sale at Black Friday.

*make sure if you’re using a free shipping code to select the 3-5 business day shipping. It’ll likely be faster than G’s slow as molasses UPS Mail Innovations.
View Quote
The complete from Brownells is 949.00 where as the near clone from geissele is 999.20 plus free trigger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

The complete from Brownells is 949.00 where as the near clone from geissele is 999.20 plus free trigger.
View Quote
Ah I stand corrected. I was going of what was posted above.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

- Active Junky rebate
View Quote
Why am I just figuring this out now?? Of course after I spent $600+ a few days ago.

I'm signed up now though!
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Huh. The email I had from them said it was $1199. Oh well, I already ordered from brownells.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Huh. The email I had from them said it was $1199. Oh well, I already ordered from brownells.
View All Quotes

That's for the Clone URG-I, Colt upper & BCG.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]

This is a 14.5" URG-I clone.  Notice the air gap between the top of the hand guard and the top of the upper receiver.   My 10.3 does not have this gap.  I would not be overly concerned about it, but I have to almost remove the sight post on my KAC 99051 front sight to get my elevation right.   Does anyone else have an air gap or is yours flush with the upper?
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mckelveymx:
https://i.imgur.com/MZAbJOJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CBSS4Cr.jpg
This is a 14.5" URG-I clone.  Notice the air gap between the top of the hand guard and the top of the upper receiver.   My 10.3 does not have this gap.  I would not be overly concerned about it, but I have to almost remove the sight post on my KAC 99051 front sight to get my elevation right.   Does anyone else have an air gap or is yours flush with the upper?
View Quote
That looks normal to me, most rails don't sit completely flush because of tolerance stacking.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Just checked my URG-I clone 14.5, no air gap between rail & upper.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
I don't have a gap on either one of mine
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
It sounds like you've shot it.  If it is achieving reasonable accuracy, it's likely to be mechanically fine (rather than having a presumably loose barrel nut).  The gap may be due to longer than normal threads on the upper.

If you have the ability to disassemble and reassemble with proper torque, that would be advisable, as it would give good assurance that the barrel nut is tight enough to seat everything as well as possible.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Just ordered a Complete URG-I and Comp M5 w/ FDE mount from Geissele.  I have so many Home Build Geissele Uppers I didn't think I'd get around to buying a URG-I Upper,  but at $1520 for a Complete this week I had to pull the trigger.  I have wanted a Geissele Lower for some reason so thats a bonus.  I also picked up one of Geissele's Super Mega Ultra High Duty LPK's in FDE, dog leg selector levers and an FDE Receiver Extension.  What do you all think of your URG-I Completes?
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#16]
When do we get FDE Lowers Geissele?
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M3iser] [#17]
Originally Posted By M-4matus:
View Quote
I believe this is what you're looking for!

Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By M3iser:
I believe this is what your looking for!

https://i.postimg.cc/VkNKPpNQ/Screen-Shot-2019-11-05-at-10-15-38-PM.png
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-4matus:
I believe this is what your looking for!

https://i.postimg.cc/VkNKPpNQ/Screen-Shot-2019-11-05-at-10-15-38-PM.png

Gross

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 4:53:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slu54] [#19]

As it turns out, this is not a clone of anything, but it is URGI-ish. 4 prong SOCOM under the can.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:01:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#21]
@sagmill
What are the chances of a Geissele "version 2" complete clone URG-I with the DD low-profile gas block (not MK12 or Geissele) as confirmed by CD? I already have an URG-I but would absolutely buy another if it came with the GB we're seeing downrange.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sagmill:

Caveat: unless everything is done at once the color will never perfectly match another DDC upper or rail.
View Quote
Assuming this would be a "Super Duty" Lower receiver?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:
@sagmill
What are the chances of a Geissele "version 2" complete clone URG-I with the correct DD low-profile gas block (not MK12 or Geissele) as confirmed by CD? I already have an URG-I but would absolutely buy another if it came with the more correct GB.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:
@sagmill
What are the chances of a Geissele "version 2" complete clone URG-I with the correct DD low-profile gas block (not MK12 or Geissele) as confirmed by CD? I already have an URG-I but would absolutely buy another if it came with the more correct GB.
mk12 is also correct/in use from what i've read.  It's either mk12 or the DD low pro
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Have any pictures to support that, only one to confirm in use gb was CD and it was a DD lpgb?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delta_romeo_echo] [#25]
View Quote
I have a gap! It's a factory clone but I pulled the rail to remove the DD GB and install the G SGB. When I reinstalled the rail I used the SPUHR scope mount from PRS gun to bridge the gap and time the pic slots. I haven't shot it yet but I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Geissele MK7 rail that when pushed all the way back won't let the bolts through because the barrel nut grooves aren't lined up with the bolt holes on the rail. So there is a slight gap. Same way with my MK16
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sagmill:

We design for a slight gap.  The rail to receiver can't be perfectly flush unless we made the receiver too.  With all the variation out there with uppers a slight gap is needed so the rail always fits, too close and then we would have rails that dont fit and guys jamming bolts into the cross holes.
View Quote
I figured as much. I prefer the MK7 over the RIS II. Bolt up system is simple and robust.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By uniform64:

I figured as much. I prefer the MK7 over the RIS II. Bolt up system is simple and robust.
View Quote
Totally off topic but I’d love to have a Mk7 that I could use with an FSB at carbine-length and no gap.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:37:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mrlegalace777] [#30]
I am new to the urgi stuff. I read there are issues with the mk12 gas blocks (which is what mine has) and USSOC are now getting them with geissele gas blocks. The mk12 gas block is contacting the rail when shooting and it seems to be cause poi shift. Is it an issue or are the urgis with the mk12 gas blocks gtg?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mrlegalace777:
I am new to the urgi stuff. I read there are issues with the mk12 gas blocks (which is what mine has) and USSOC are now getting them with geissele gas blocks. The mk12 gas block is contacting the rail when shooting and it seems to be cause poi shift. Is it an issue or are the urgis with the mk12 gas blocks gtg?
View Quote
The MK12 GB is a bad design to go with the MK16. The G block isn't much better. Use the DD LPGB or any other GB would be a better, IMO. I have a Noveske LPGB under one MK16 rail and a Spikes under another. Not much room even with those. I get the cloning thing, but I'm not into cloning bad ideas. I love Geissele products, but I never understood their GB design. It sucks, IMO. Got 3 of those useless things in my parts box.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brx123] [#32]
The smallest lpgb ive found is centurion arms
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:11:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mrlegalace777] [#33]
I cant replace the gas block cause the muzzle is pinned and I dont have the money to buy a new muzzle then pay to have it unpinned/repinned. I just didnt know if it having the mk12 gas block if my rifle is unreliable or bad in any way since its my only firearm for home protection/ do all rifle.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I cant replace the gas block cause the muzzle is pinned and I dont have the money to buy a new muzzle then pay to have it unpinned/repinned. I just didnt know if it having the mk12 gas block if my rifle is unreliable or bad in any way since its my only firearm for home protection/ do all rifle.
View Quote
If it's touching at all, that's bad.

You can remove the rail and modify the gas block without removing the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

You can remove the rail and modify the gas block without removing the muzzle device.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

I would say it's not good. I'm sure it would be fine for home defense. You just won't get the best accuracy from it. The guns reliability shouldn't have anything to do with the gas block contacting the rail. As  pezboytate said, you can mod the GB. You can easily file it down some and then touch it up with some Super Blue. Who did you buy the upper from, @mrlegalace777 ?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
The only issued gas block confirmed to be used so far is the pinned low profile gas block from DD. Which is not the same as the MK12. The pinned block has a single pin and no set screws which allows for the greatest clearance on the bottom of all 3.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:
The MK12 GB is a bad design to go with the MK16. The G block isn't much better. Use the DD LPGB or any other GB would be a better, IMO. I have a Noveske LPGB under one MK16 rail and a Spikes under another. Not much room even with those. I get the cloning thing, but I'm not into cloning bad ideas. I love Geissele products, but I never understood their GB design. It sucks, IMO. Got 3 of those useless things in my parts box.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:
Wait, what? Ack... so, what gas block do the clone uppers from Geissele come with? I actually cancelled my order with Brownell’s and ordered a pinned and welded clone straight from Geissele.  Now I’m worried about the freaking gas block...
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Wait, what? Ack... so, what gas block do the clone uppers from Geissele come with? I actually cancelled my order with Brownell’s and ordered a pinned and welded clone straight from Geissele.  Now I’m worried about the freaking gas block...
View Quote
The Geissele 'Clone' model comes with a DD MK12 gas block.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By WEK207:

The Geissele 'Clone' model comes with a DD MK12 gas block.
View Quote
And that’s one of the bad ones for this rail?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:22:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brx123] [#42]
Yes the mk12 that comes with the clone urgi doesnt allow enough clearance for the mk16 rail. Contact G theyll sort you out. Or pull the rail and you can dremel the gas block
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By brx123:
Yes the mk12 that comes with the clone urgi doesnt allow enough clearance for the mk16 rail. Contact G theyll sort you out. Or pull the rail and you can dremel the gas block
View Quote
I ordered it on the phone with them, I really wish they’d said something.

I don’t have a dremel and I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I did.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:29:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#44]
Originally Posted By brx123:
View Quote

EDIT okay not sure how this post duplicated itself. How do I delete it? I must be missing something obvious...
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I would just contact Geissele then they should take care of you
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
Geissele uses a modified MK12 GB now to fix clearance issues.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

Sad day when you buy a +$700 upper and have to dremel the gas block to get things to work right...
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I have the semi clone upper and it was shipped with a G gas block. Clearances to the rail really doesn't look that bad. I’ve never seen a mk12 block on one to compare.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Pjatton:

Sad day when you buy a +$700 upper and have to dremel the gas block to get things to work right...
View Quote
I hope Mark hooks you up for this post.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Originally Posted By Pjatton:

Really, both the clone upper and the non clone upper should have the low profile pinned DD gas block.
Page / 268
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top