Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 268
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Really, both the clone upper and the non clone upper should have the low profile pinned DD gas block.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Originally Posted By Pjatton:

Sad day when you buy a +$700 upper and have to dremel the gas block to get things to work right...
I hope Mark hooks you up for this post.
Really, both the clone upper and the non clone upper should have the low profile pinned DD gas block.
They should, and it's strange that was not noticed before these were released.

It's just not hard to notice the L forum regulars shitting in this thread now and then.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]

It's just not hard to notice the L forum regulars shitting in this thread now and then.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pjatton:

Sad day when you buy a +$700 upper and have to dremel the gas block to get things to work right...
I hope Mark hooks you up for this post.

I'm not even all that much of a regular...
Just seems crazy to me that there are uppers out there, with a known issue, still available for purchase.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to confirm, this is the correct barrel and low profile gas block combo from Daniel Defense:
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Maddy21:
Just to confirm, this is the correct barrel and low profile gas block combo from Daniel Defense: https://i.imgur.com/fK78kpD.png
View Quote
That is correct.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bwhited:

That is correct.
View Quote
Perfect thanks!
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, so I just got off the phone with Geissele. They told me that these days, they use the DD Mk12 gas block, but they “contour” it, so there are no clearance issues.

I asked why they don’t just use the DD low profile gas block, and he told me that it’s not in the contract, so it wouldn’t be clone correct.  Once it arrives (a week after the order was placed, they still don’t have any shipping info), I’ll put my Elcan on it and use it as my patrol rifle at work.

In other news, for a different build I’m about to start for another guy at work, I was able to finally get a 14.5 mid length from Daniel Defense with the low profile gas block installed.  They’ve been out of stock for quite a while. We had sourced a DD mid length barrel with a Geissele nitride gas block on it from Charlies (they said it was a “new take-off”)... now we need to figure out what to do with it, since he wants the straight DD w/LPGB.  Does anyone know if those are worth anything in the secondary market?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Akin:
Okay, so I just got off the phone with Geissele. They told me that these days, they use the DD Mk12 gas block, but they “contour” it, so there are no clearance issues.

I asked why they don’t just use the DD low profile gas block, and he told me that it’s not in the contract, so it wouldn’t be clone correct.  Once it arrives (a week after the order was placed, they still don’t have any shipping info), I’ll put my Elcan on it and use it as my patrol rifle at work.

In other news, for a different build I’m about to start for another guy at work, I was able to finally get a 14.5 mid length from Daniel Defense with the low profile gas block installed.  They’ve been out of stock for quite a while. We had sourced a DD mid length barrel with a Geissele nitride gas block on it from Charlies (they said it was a “new take-off”)... now we need to figure out what to do with it, since he wants the straight DD w/LPGB.  Does anyone know if those are worth anything in the secondary market?
View Quote
The Mk12 gas block is what was originally going to be used. I gather that there was contact between the rail and gas block so DD is supplying the issued barrels with their pinned low profile gas block.

I have seen photographic proof of an issued URG-I with a pinned low profile DD gas block.

I have seen no photographic proof of any other gas blocks being used on issued URG-Is.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to confirm, this is the correct barrel and low profile gas block combo from Daniel Defense: https://i.imgur.com/fK78kpD.png
View Quote
That is correct if it is pinned.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]

That is correct if it is pinned.
View Quote
Hmm doesn’t look like it’s pinned in the picture. If it’s the correct block I could have it pinned when I have my muzzle device pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Hmm doesn’t look like it’s pinned in the picture. If it’s the correct block I could have it pinned when I have my muzzle device pinned and welded.
View Quote
It is this SKU: 07-077-07308

You can get the entire URGI kit piece by piece looking at the NSN. They list manufacturers SKU for each item in the kit.

Look in the special features field HERE
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
So is this not enough clearance?

Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:31:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JuanPing] [#12]
The Geissele GB is fine.

It's the DD MK12 GB that had clearance issues when the URGI's were first released.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By IceAuger:
The Geissele GB is fine.

It's the DD MK12 GB that had clearance issues when the URGI's were first released.
View Quote
OK, Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]

The Mk12 gas block is what was originally going to be used. I gather that there was contact between the rail and gas block so DD is supplying the issued barrels with their pinned low profile gas block.

I have seen photographic proof of an issued URG-I with a pinned low profile DD gas block.

I have seen no photographic proof of any other gas blocks being used on issued URG-Is.
View Quote
I wonder how difficult it would be for me to replace the “contoured” Mk12 with a LPGB...
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mrlegalace777:
I cant replace the gas block cause the muzzle is pinned and I dont have the money to buy a new muzzle then pay to have it unpinned/repinned. I just didnt know if it having the mk12 gas block if my rifle is unreliable or bad in any way since its my only firearm for home protection/ do all rifle.
View Quote
When did you buy yours?

I have a clone with the mk12 and they made relief cuts to the mk12 so it now has better clearance than the G block that is on my 10.3 urg-i

Ex.  Regularly the bottom of the mk 12 looks like this:  \___/

But mine doesn't have those two sharp corners on the bottom it has flats where those were from relief cuts
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The Geissele GB is fine.

View All Quotes
The Geissele GB is fine.

The Geissele gas block is too big as well, IMO. The wall to the right or left of the gas tube area is where the dropped rail bent. The Geissele gas block has flanges in that area which bring it close to the rail.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
The Geissele gas block is too big as well, IMO. The wall to the right or left of the gas tube area is where the dropped rail bent. The Geissele gas block has flanges in that area which bring it close to the rail.
View All Quotes
The Geissele GB is fine.

G block has worse clearance than the modified mk12
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duke23433] [#18]

View Quote
interested in that nitride G block...send me a PM @Akin
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

You can get the entire URGI kit piece by piece looking at the NSN. They list manufacturers SKU for each item in the kit.

View Quote
Thanks for this resource
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for this resource
View All Quotes

Thanks for this resource
Yeah, thanks!

Anyone know if you get any useful information if you register like the site wants you to?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Yeah, thanks!

Anyone know if you get any useful information if you register like the site wants you to?
View Quote
No problem.

Nothing special about that site. Any parts database system should yield the exact same information about that NSN. The description field listing the actual manufacturer's SKUs is part of the NSN. (Listing internal SKUs is not a requirement, this particular listing is unusually helpful) If you look up that NSN on another system you should see the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 8:42:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#22]

View Quote
100% agree on all points!

I asked why they don’t just use the DD low profile gas block, and he told me that it’s not in the contract, so it wouldn’t be clone correct.
View Quote
Thanks for sharing! If Geissele’s claim were true, where is NSWC Crane getting the low-profile DD GB’s that are being installed and sent to armorers downrange? I've seen zero photographic evidence of a MK12 on a URG-I in the field - still waiting for some proof if it exists. Given that DD literally sells the barrel assemblies with the low profile gas block, I don’t see why it would be difficult for Geissele to simply use those instead.

I’d also point out that a few sites still show NSN 1005-01-671-3911 as including the “(2) MK12 low profile gas block, P/N: 408JXN00024, 1 EA.” However, the majority refer to “(2) PIN, GAS BLOCK, URG-I, P/N: 15-028-02227, 1 EA.”
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for this resource
View All Quotes

Thanks for this resource
From the link:

M4A1 UPPER RECEIVER GROUP KIT, CONVERTS THE UPPER RECEIVER OF A M4A1 TO AN IMPROVED BARREL AND RAIL ASSEMBLY.
KIT CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
(1) 1EA, MID-LENGTH GAS SYSTEM 14.5 INCH COLD HAMMER FORGED BARREL, P/N: 07-077-07308, 1EA.
(2) PIN, GAS BLOCK, URG-I, P/N: 15-028-02227, 1 EA
(3) 14.5 MID-LENGTH GAS TUBE WITH PIN, P/N: 04-013-18034, 1 SET;
(4) 14.5 BARREL REPLACEMENT KIT, P/N 408JXN00906, 1 KT;
(5) GAS TUBE, PIN SPRING, P/N 15-028-04094, 1 EA;
(6) CHARGING HANDLE (COYOTE), P/N: 05-664S,1EA.
(7) M-LOK HANDGUARD COYOTE, MARK 16 13.5 INCH, P/N: 05-650S, 1EA.
(8) M-LOK ALUMINUM RAIL SECTION, 7 SLOTS-BLACK, P/N: MAG582-BLK, 3EA.
(9) M-LOK QD SLING MOUNT BLACK, P/N: MAG606-BLK,1EA.
(10) BARREL NUT WRENCH, P/N: 02-243,1EA.
So, unless there is another NSN for a similar kit out there, these do not come with a BCG or muzzle device.

This also indicates that they are being fulfilled by Daniel Defense.  Doubt that has much practical effect for me, but interesting still.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:24:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#24]
So, no shipping info from Geissele yet, but I guess that’s to be expected.

Once it comes in, I need to update my lighting system. I currently use a bright one but it still has an incandescent bulb. The activation switch is on the side of a vertical forward grip.

What kinds of lights are they using today? I don’t seem to see many vertical forward grips any more, everyone seems to grab their barrel at the muzzle which I think looks ridiculous but who knows maybe it works better. Whatever, I’m an old dog. I might not put a vertical grip on this new rig but I’ll still need a light of some kind, it’ll be my patrol rifle at work and while not mandatory it’s sure a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
So, no shipping info from Geissele yet, but I guess that’s to be expected.

Once it comes in, I need to update my lighting system. I currently use a bright one but it still has an incandescent bulb. The activation switch is on the side of a vertical forward grip grip.

What kinds of lights are they using today? I don’t seem to see many vertical forward grips any more, everyone seems to grab their barrel at the muzzle which I think looks ridiculous but who knows maybe it works better. Whatever, I’m an old dog. I might not put a vertical grip on this new rig but I’ll still need a light of some kind, it’ll be my patrol rifle at work and while not mandatory it’s sure a good idea.
View Quote
Still got a mullet?

Get yourself a Surefire Scout M300/600.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#26]

What kinds of lights are they using today?
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=128#i7940784

WMX200 and ProTac.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#27]
7th Group door breaching training
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Wonder what kind of red dot he has on top of that Elcan. Also, I wonder about having a flip-up rear sight without a front... :-D
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Wonder what kind of red dot he has on top of that Elcan. Also, I wonder about having a flip-up rear sight without a front... :-D
View Quote
Likely an L3 MRDS atop the Elcan
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting, too, that the guy with no optic or front sight has a magpul stock on his. These are real pictures?
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah posted by 7th Group on their FB
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#32]
Interesting, too, that the guy with no optic or front sight has a magpul stock on his. These are real pictures?
View Quote
Probably a new upper that has not been setup or zeroed yet, issued for training. .  Issued to do "dry training", walk-through etc.....  The armory probably has bins of stocks from purchases by the unit and even other private purchases left behind.  I used my own private purchased stocks and had to take them off and use the issued stock for armory inspections.  We would also issue extra weapons to visiting support units that may not have the optics and accessories of an issued weapon.

ETA; Breaching training is probably usually conducted without live weapons and concentrates on the breach and assault, not shooting.  No mags in weapons.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

What kinds of lights are they using today?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=128#i7940784

WMX200 and ProTac.
Just got into my first HLX a few months ago.... I’m quite impressed so far.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#34]
What are the rail section attached near the muzzle? Guess i’ll need to grab at least one for whatever light I wind up getting...

Sorry for all the noob questions. This kind of thing was undreamt of when I was in, our M16A2s where hot shit at the time. I barely learned about block IIs a year ago, now these...
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#35]

What are the rail section attached near the muzzle? Guess i’ll need to grab at least one for whatever light I wind up getting...

Sorry for all the noob questions. This kind of thing was undreamt of when I was in, our M16A2s where hot shit at the time. I barely learned about block IIs a year ago, now these...
View Quote
Magpul M-Lok aluminum rail sections
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Magpul M-LOK Aluminum Picatinny Accessory Rail, 7 Slots
P/N: MAG582-BLK
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool, thanks.

Now to get a light setup of some kind.

And a laser. :-D okay maybe not
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By duke23433:

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a 3-Prong on that MK18?
View Quote
Don't think that's just you. Definitely look's like one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#41]
Okay, so I just got off the phone with Geissele. They told me that these days, they use the DD Mk12 gas block, but they "contour" it, so there are no clearance issues.

I asked why they don't just use the DD low profile gas block, and he told me that it's not in the contract, so it wouldn't be clone correct.  Once it arrives (a week after the order was placed, they still don't have any shipping info), I'll put my Elcan on it and use it as my patrol rifle at work.

In other news, for a different build I'm about to start for another guy at work, I was able to finally get a 14.5 mid length from Daniel Defense with the low profile gas block installed.  They've been out of stock for quite a while. We had sourced a DD mid length barrel with a Geissele nitride gas block on it from Charlies (they said it was a "new take-off")... now we need to figure out what to do with it, since he wants the straight DD w/LPGB.  Does anyone know if those are worth anything in the secondary market?
View Quote
Makes sense if the other gas blocks haven't been approved.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#43]
There's something wrong with me as being an electrician paying more attention to the conduit work in the background than the pile of cash laying on the box.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

There's something wrong with me as being an electrician paying more attention to the conduit work in the background than the pile of cash laying on the box.
View Quote
Good enough for government work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By duke23433:

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a 3-Prong on that MK18?
Zooming in on mobile, I can see the 4th prong. The shadows definitely make it look like there is only three. Sadly for us poors, still have to shelve out the extra cash to stay %100 correct
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 4:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hydra-shokz] [#46]

View Quote
So "contouring" a MK12 GB is in the contract?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 4:50:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#47]
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:

So "contouring" a MK12 GB is in the contract?
View Quote
No. That's only what they are doing to their clone upper that they sell.

The real URGI comes as a retrofit kit that is partially assembled and shipped by Daniel Defense to the Government, which is why the NSN is under them.

Also a newer development; apparently NSW is picking up the URGI as a complete rifle with optic, and accessories in a pelican case much in the same way the MK12 was issued.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#48]

No. That's only what they are doing to their clone upper that they sell.

The real URGI comes as a retrofit kit that is partially assembled and shipped by Daniel Defense to the Government, which is why the NSN is under them.

Also a newer development; apparently NSW is picking up the URGI as a complete rifle with optic, and accessories in a pelican case much in the same way the MK12 was issued.
View Quote
Neat, what optic?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By HammerForged:

Neat, what optic?
View Quote
Maybe ATACR?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe ATACR?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HammerForged:

Neat, what optic?
Maybe ATACR?
Yes. With tan anodizing.
Page / 268
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top