It's not a razor or p4xi on 1x.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Whats the nx8 like on 1x? Is it fast?

Anyone? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I'd hate to not like it.

It's not a razor or p4xi on 1x.

X2. If your 70% shooting past 100 and 30% shooting up close NX8 will not do you wrong. If it's the opposite the Steiner or Razor is what you seek.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:05:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#2]

Anyone? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I'd hate to not like it.
View All Quotes

Well what are you really asking dude?

Yeah its a quality piece of glass with a good reticle at 1x and 8x.

The eyebox is a little less forgiving than some other LPVOs out there, I used one for a while and went away from it on a rifle that spends most of its time in shoot houses/ buildings.

But its an overall great optic and light weight.

ETA: Beat me to it. He hit the nail on the head pretty much.

Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

X2. If your 70% shooting past 100 and 30% shooting up close NX8 will not do you wrong. If it's the opposite the Steiner or Razor is what you seek.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
Whats the nx8 like on 1x? Is it fast?

I spend the majority of my time shooting cqb distances with it. I've run splits with it vs a razor and had no actually difference with it time wise. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you want a mid-long range optic w/ CQB capability?
NX8

Do you want a CQB optic w/ mid range capability?
Razor or p4xi
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok thanks guys. I'm trying to avoid razor based on weight. I've heard people say the nx8 is like an aimpoint pro on 1x.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok thanks guys. I'm trying to avoid razor based on weight. I've heard people say the nx8 is like an aimpoint pro on 1x.
View Quote

Check out the Kahles 1-6
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

That's actually a pretty good comparison.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:32:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UndrGrndPrdcts] [#9]

That's actually a pretty good comparison.
View Quote

So it cant be that bad right?

Whats the light transmission like? Has anyone used these under low light or white light at night?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I got the Razor mounted on an upper over the weekend and did some drills. Anybody have issues while shooting fast on 1x and seeing things out of focus through the scope? I tried adjusting the eyepiece with no luck
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#11]

So it cant be that bad right?

Whats the light transmission like? Has anyone used these under low light or white light at night?
View Quote

The 1x on NX8 is great. Bad is very far from what it is.

If you sat down and just messed with 1x vs a razor or Steiner yes the razor or Steiner would be better. But if you not nit picking it you will never know the difference. Up close drills happen so fast I highly doubt you would be noticing any difference after the first shot on any of the above.

All x24 optics will have the roughly same light transmission to the shooter on the same magnification level.

I shot my old NX8 at dusk at 600yd and did not feel I was at a disadvantage to anything else with same specs. Yes a massive disadvantage compared to an x56 objective.

Also, illumination on the NX8 is the best out of all I've used. It's insanely bright. Brighter than a T1 honestly because the dot and segmented section is bigger.

I shot mine from 100m out to 550m Saturday. Prone, standing, sitting, tripod, supported and unsupported at all positions. 1x out to 300. 8x across the board not once did I doubt my choice to buy it again. Even the big dot at 550m wasn't a big deal on a 15" plate. The hold was much more precise but I could still see steel around the big dot that far away. A full size ipsc steel would have been insanely easy at that distance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]

The 1x on NX8 is great. Bad is very far from what it is.

If you sat down and just messed with 1x vs a razor or Steiner yes the razor or Steiner would be better. But if you not nit picking it you will never know the difference. Up close drills happen so fast I highly doubt you would be noticing any difference after the first shot on any of the above.

All x24 optics will have the roughly same light transmission to the shooter on the same magnification level.

I shot my old NX8 at dusk at 600yd and did not feel I was at a disadvantage to anything else with same specs. Yes a massive disadvantage compared to an x56 objective.

Also, illumination on the NX8 is the best out of all I've used. It's insanely bright. Brighter than a T1 honestly because the dot and segmented section is bigger.

I shot mine from 100m out to 550m Saturday. Prone, standing, sitting, tripod, supported and unsupported at all positions. 1x out to 300. 8x across the board not once did I doubt my choice to buy it again. Even the big dot at 550m wasn't a big deal on a 15" plate. The hold was much more precise but I could still see steel around the big dot that far away. A full size ipsc steel would have been insanely easy at that distance.
View Quote

Awesome review thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Awesome review thanks.
View Quote

No problem man. Ultimately it's so user specific you'll just have to grab one and see what you think.

I'm an optic whore. Anything from $200 red dots to $3k ATACR's. I've bought them all haha.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]

No problem man. Ultimately it's so user specific you'll just have to grab one and see what you think.

I'm an optic whore. Anything from $200 red dots to $3k ATACR's. I've bought them all haha.
View Quote

Yea I have a bunch of stuff from Aimpoints to higher end glass for my precision stuff, but no lpvo's. So I just don't know what to expect. Still thinking of giving the nx8 a try. Might fo on the eurooptic blems before they run out. Seems used ones in mil are harder to find.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]

My mini recce and pistol mini recce. Nothing like banging B/C steel under NVG at 100 yards with a pistola .
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#16]
My NX8 feels more like my Aimpoint T-1 than a Pro. If you can get and stay behind an Aimpoint mini while moving the NX8 should be fine. The Kahles K16i I messed with a bit has an outstanding eyebox if you want something more forgiving...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Man that looks good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Man that looks good.
View All Quotes

Man that looks good.

I second that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111561/IMG_0331_jpg-1391670.JPG
View Quote

I'm sure whatever comes of this will be awesome, but...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

I'm sure whatever comes of this will be awesome, but...
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif
View Quote

NX8 1-8x baby; gotta find one first. Problem is I just found the 4-16x ATACR I need for the SR-25, but I haven't even listed the Mk8 yet. Got a dude up around LeJune who's interested. Probably gonna splurge.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It’s a big deal when you make changes. Other guys (me included) change our setups daily like underwear.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Why are there 2 lowers? I thought you only had one AR15 (the 11.5)
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#24]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

It’s a big deal when you make changes. Other guys (me included) change our setups daily like underwear.
View Quote

That Tan Boi had him looking at his Mk6 sideways...

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:22:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#25]

That Tan Boi had him looking at his Mk6 sideways...

https://i.imgur.com/ECVsaXD.jpg
View Quote

Feels good to get SOMEBODY else to do something doesn't it?

And yes Tan Boi is a great salesman.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Feels good to get SOMEBODY else to do something doesn't it?

And yes Tan Boi is a great salesman.
View Quote

I love spending my friends money!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Well it's about time Rand Paul ditched that dated scope
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Well it's about time Rand Paul ditched that dated scope
View Quote

He likes relics on his rifles. Needs to be at least 15 years old for street cred.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#29]

He likes relics on his rifles. Needs to be at least 15 years old for street cred.
View Quote

I've been wondering how the NX8/ATACR or Gen III Razor compares to the K16i (which I have on my 11.5). Its great for up close but I'm not a fan of the SM1 at distance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#30]
nx8 all the things
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

I've been wondering how the NX8/ATACR or Gen III Razor compares to the K16i (which I have on my 11.5). Its great for up close but I'm not a fan of the SM1 at distance.
View Quote

I like forgiving optics so I've ruled the NX8 out. The Kahles 1-6 is great and I regret selling mine. I'm actually considering picking one up for my DDC KAC Mod 2 gun. The Razor apparently does everything the 1-6 does but better so it's a no brainer if you want to go the Razor route. It's just got the weight penalty.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Man that looks good.
View All Quotes

Man that looks good.

I second that.

Thanks! This is my favorite setup and was born of many years. This is my work rifle (personal owned) and I love it.

This is my great friend's setup who was like father to me. He passed away unexpectedly on the 18th and I had just installed the new pro scout light and unity taps sync for him. It's a DD V7S , there will be something coming in relation to this rifle any mini recce lovers should be on the look out for. When I have more details I'll share here.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#33]

I like forgiving optics so I've ruled the NX8 out. The Kahles 1-6 is great and I regret selling mine. I'm actually considering picking one up for my DDC KAC Mod 2 gun. The Razor apparently does everything the 1-6 does but better so it's a no brainer if you want to go the Razor route. It's just got the weight penalty.
View Quote

I've had the Razor 1-6 before the Kahles and the main reason I sold it was due to weight unfortunately. Kahles did come out with a 1-8, but a Mod 2 is what I'm running as well. I'll have to try out an NX8 before I jump.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#34]
So whats the best height for the nx8? Can you run 1.93 or does it need more weld?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#35]
lol, damn I'm get'n roasted in here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#36]
So whats the best height for the nx8? Can you run 1.93 or does it need more weld?
View Quote

That's preference.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#37]
Originally Posted By karmapolice:
This is my great friend's setup who was like father to me. He passed away unexpectedly on the 18th and I had just installed the new pro scout light and unity taps sync for him. It's a DD V7S , there will be something coming in relation to this rifle any mini recce lovers should be on the look out for. When I have more details I'll share here.
View Quote

Sorry to hear the loss of your good friend, that build is gorgeous (as is your build you posted earlier..)
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By karmapolice:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/94610072_867052677133717_2239148648212463616_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=WrWD-Ng9sjMAX-pbQZD&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=87757c0fffdd5cdd0eb230b30b010353&oe=5ECB1953

My mini recce and pistol mini recce. Nothing like banging B/C steel under NVG at 100 yards with a pistola .
View Quote

Specs on this?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Any love for the nxs 1-4? Or should I just wait until I find a nx8 for a good deal. Wont be shooting for much distance . Mostly cqb to maybe 300
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bzugger:
Any love for the nxs 1-4? Or should I just wait until I find a nx8 for a good deal. Wont be shooting for much distance . Mostly cqb to maybe 300
View Quote

You will get steiner recommendations.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Help. I have a P4xi and a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6x. I'm keeping one for a 13" URX3 build and selling the other.

Since I have both, I know the differences. I like them both, but the p4xi is lighter weight and has brighter illumination. The viper is 6x, I prefer the illumination knob, and it's worth less (so I would end up with more money if I sold the p4xi).

I just keep going back and forth, so I was wondering if anyone here had some input.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Any love for the nxs 1-4? Or should I just wait until I find a nx8 for a good deal. Wont be shooting for much distance . Mostly cqb to maybe 300
View Quote

I had an nxs 1-4, 2.5-10x24 and a vortex pst 1-4 all at the same time. I did not like the nxs 1-4. the reticle was tiny and easily washed out on backdrops like trees. The illumination was non-existent. like, in a room with the lights off and could still barely see it, and then the battery would die when you looked at it. Glass quality was good and i loved the size and weight, but the Vortex had way better illumination and a reticle i could pick up more easily. The vortex also felt like a more forgiving eye-box.

Today i just have a razor 1-6 and a pst genII 1-6 and they suit me fine for my shooting. Just wish they were smaller and lighter.

My buddy's bcm 12.5 sitting above my centurion bbl 12.5
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Help. I have a P4xi and a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6x. I'm keeping one for a 13" URX3 build and selling the other. 

Since I have both, I know the differences. I like them both, but the p4xi is lighter weight and has brighter illumination. The viper is 6x, I prefer the illumination knob, and it's worth less (so I would end up with more money if I sold the p4xi). 

I just keep going back and forth, so I was wondering if anyone here had some input. 

Thanks
View Quote

Keep Steiner.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:27:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#44]
View Quote

Steiner P4Xi. All day. Twice on Sunday.

Zero at 100 and you have lines for your holds at 2 and 3. 4 and 5 get tricky but pretty much any sbr from 11.5-14.5 shooting 55gr or 77gr is going to line up about perfect.

The dot is brighter than just about any other scope in any price range.

Clarity of the glass is also out of its price range.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye_Doc_Holiday] [#45]
Originally Posted By CSAKing:

Specs on this?
View Quote

Not sure if @Karmapolice will see this and it's starting to get buried.  Since I built the gun for him I'll answer as to what it is:

Lower is a Form 4 KAC SBR.  I don't remember what upper...may be Colt.  11.5" Geissele Duty barrel, home-brewed bomb-proof gas block installation (set-screws with red Loctite, drilled and pinned).  MK4 Federal Geissele rail in DDC.  DDC Geissele charging handle (airborne I think).  Geissele Nitride BCG, he says he likes it; easier to clean.  Surefire Warcomp, Micro Surefire can, Geissele SD-E trigger, Tangodown grip, KAC Ambi safety, LAW folder, Geissele Super 42 spring and H2 buffer, Magpul SL stock with enhanced pad.  Mil/Mil NX8 with capped turrets, Geissele mount (1.93 I think, but may be 2.04, he went back and forth).  Reptilia Corp top ring with RM06.  BE Meyers MAWL and Surefire DF PRO.  His krylon job, his stippled ladder panels.

Shoots good with 62gr Gold Dots

Pistol is a G45 MOS with Ameriglo MOS sights, RM06 Gen2, Parker Mountain barrel and comp, Surefire 300V, SLR magwell
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dingus_actual] [#46]
13.9" counts as a Mini Recce right?
I'll keep whoring this pic out.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally finished: 12.5 BA, AEM3.

2020-04-30_10-29-16 by mattnewman98, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mattn03:
Finally finished: 12.5 BA, AEM3.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49839367458_e612bebed0_k.jpg2020-04-30_10-29-16 by mattnewman98, on Flickr
View Quote

Mini-er H!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I love the recessed can look.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By nate_the_great:
13.9" counts as a Mini Recce right? 
I'll keep whoring this pic out. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/381888/69B566CB-FBD9-46DB-9E33-3C421CCD8DD5_jpe-1395170.JPG
View Quote

Is this all SOLGW? Really digging the 13.X" length but I'm not sure if a warcomp will get to 16" OAL. What muzzle device did you use for you SF can?
Page / 208
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top