Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1194
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mlhenning9625:
Hey guys...so I'll admit, I'm new to this site.  I recently started building an MK12 and so far the most difficult part for me is which rail system to go with.  I would love to have a Knights Armament free floating RAS, but I think I have better luck winning the lottery.  Does anyone have any advice on what to do for a rail?

Thanks!
View Quote

If your building a Mk12 then you only have two options the Kac rail or the pri.. That being said it depends on how fast you want it built if you want it done right now the price on parts is what ever it is when you find them, if you dont mind waiting you should email High Caliber Sales and get on the list to have kevin build you a mod 1 upper was just shy of 8 months for mine to be built in that time frame i secured all the bits and peices that bolt on to it and was able to score a leupold 112633 and was able to get most of the parts to build a correct a1 lower (still waiting on the lower) my upper is living on my 6920 lower for now until the "correct" lower is done ,hurry up and wait seems the be the norm for building a mk12 even more so if your going the mod 0 route...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have any idea based on the description if this has the MK262 elevation?  The description states illumintated TMR even though the picture doesn't so i'm not banking on the picture.

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
Anyone have any idea based on the description if this has the MK262 elevation?  The description states illumintated TMR even though the picture doesn't so i'm not banking on the picture.

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8
View Quote

Sounds like it's got M2 turrets. What do you mean MK262 elevation? If you're referring to the calibrated turrets for that specific round, you will have to get those from Leupold.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8
View Quote

It's the same part number as the ones listed on other sights for sale..
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:
so, ive seen the noveske 16" recon barrels are back in stock. $430 is a ton of money. i know its correct for the Mod H (which is my plan), but for the money im throwing into this rifle, is this the best barrel? is a douglas or krieger going to be THAT much better if im looking to shoot <600 yards? are the noveske barrels worth the scratch or are they over priced for what they are? i would expect it to hold <1 MOA all day for that price.
View Quote

Not to bash Noveske barrels...but if you go to Camp Perry (ohio) to shoot or spectate..smallbore, high power, fclass, service rifle...etc etc....you more than likely will never see a Noveske barrel on the line in a service match rifle..at least I haven't. The people who win and the title holders usually list all their components, gunsmith, etc.
If you are taking the time to hand load...the barrel is the biggest thing that affects accuracy on a gas gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mad4wd:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

Leupold #: 112633 = TS-30A2
Also here

The other version without the right turrets is #67925, here not TS-30A2
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
So these turrets correct?

" />
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Yes. The 308 168grn turrets will also 'work' but are not to spec, and the 223 55grn turrets will work for XM193 and other inexpensive ammo variants- but are also not spec.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Matt...do those turrets I posted come on the TS30A2 scope?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Matt...do those turrets I posted come on the TS30A2 scope?
View Quote

Yes, if you look at the photos here on the SWFA site closely you can see them: http://swfa.com/Leupold-25-8x36-Mark-4-MRT-30mm-Riflescope-P52988.aspx
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:

Sounds like it's got M2 turrets. What do you mean MK262 elevation? If you're referring to the calibrated turrets for that specific round, you will have to get those from Leupold.
View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

I bought a leupold 112633 from euro optics.com and it came with the turret marked  MK12 MOD1 5.56 77gr if thats what your refering to?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SevenSixTwoxFiftyOne:

I bought a leupold 112633 from euro optics.com and it came with the turret marked  MK12 MOD1 5.56 77gr if thats what your refering to?
View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

Yes.  I just purchased This from SWFA which should be good to go based on my understanding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Yes.  I just purchased This from SWFA which should be good to go based on my understanding.
View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

Yep - that's where I bought mine from.

It's exactly as advertised.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a MK12 MOD 0 turret?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:45:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#16]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:
So I had an interesting Mk12 related experience today concerning the Post Office's definition of what is a "firearm".

Long story short, our community almost lost a PEQ-2-3 today.

Anyways...

Here's something you don't see everyday.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img539/3322/db0add.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/295/fdc3d9.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/6530/70ef76.jpg
View Quote

Continuing this post, the collar is interesting as well.

Not an Ops or AE component. Right in-between the two sizes, and has a larger set screw. Most importantly it has no lip on the inside of it to catch the step in the barrel.

Here it is bottomed against the shoulder for the gas block.

Barrel is WOA, but not profiled for the 12th model so it's going to get listed for sale shortly.  In the meanwhile I get to decide what to build with the leftover parts.  Back down to one Mod 0 temporarily. I may go Holland sooner than planned.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:

This is all probably very true. But what I suspect is also true is that those barrels will also be replaced every year or so. The Noveske barrel may not achieve the same peak accuracy as the names used at those matches, but it will probably maintain its peak accuracy far, far longer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:
so, ive seen the noveske 16" recon barrels are back in stock. $430 is a ton of money. i know its correct for the Mod H (which is my plan), but for the money im throwing into this rifle, is this the best barrel? is a douglas or krieger going to be THAT much better if im looking to shoot <600 yards? are the noveske barrels worth the scratch or are they over priced for what they are? i would expect it to hold <1 MOA all day for that price.

Not to bash Noveske barrels...but if you go to Camp Perry (ohio) to shoot or spectate..smallbore, high power, fclass, service rifle...etc etc....you more than likely will never see a Noveske barrel on the line in a service match rifle..at least I haven't. The people who win and the title holders usually list all their components, gunsmith, etc.
If you are taking the time to hand load...the barrel is the biggest thing that affects accuracy on a gas gun.

This is all probably very true. But what I suspect is also true is that those barrels will also be replaced every year or so. The Noveske barrel may not achieve the same peak accuracy as the names used at those matches, but it will probably maintain its peak accuracy far, far longer.

All good points.

I don't have a problem with the cost, I just want to be sure it's the best choice, clone status comes second (at least IMO since no one can really tell unless you tell what brand it is, and spending a shit ball of money on a precision rifle clone or not without the best barrel is silly). I don't need .25 accuracy, but I want less than 1, which I don't think is a tall order. Second to that, I want the longest life I can. Thirdly I want something that can perform well with the widest range of ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By parlay100:
View Quote

No, only the one 77grn turret. Early MOD 0 scopes didn't have 77grn turrets at all, probably just standard leupold 223 or 308 turrets.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By parlay100:
View Quote

I always thought leupolds "SPR 77gr 5.56" looked good on top of a mod 0.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

Hah... Good luck with that. Many-o-times I have called Leupold about those knobs. And every time they tell me "we don't have those", or "what is 77gr SPR?" or "what is MK262?"
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Hah... Good luck with that. Many-o-times I have called Leupold about those knobs. And every time they tell me "we don't have those", or "what is 77gr SPR?" or "what is MK262?"
View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

You need to speak with the custom shop. I've called several times and each person has known exactly what I was talking about and offered to make them and ship them ASAP. YMMV I guess.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

You need to speak with the custom shop. I've called several times and each person has known exactly what I was talking about and offered to make them and ship them ASAP. YMMV I guess.
View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

I have never called Leupold other than the custom shop...multiple times and nobody knew what I was talking about.
So I had them eventually make me one to my specs, and they screwed that up too.
(Marked the knobs as 1 MOA clicks vs .5 MOA.). I got those knobs in an exchange from leupold for my .308 knobs. They wouldn't fix their mistake after I told them the knobs are wrong. They told me "sorry", we can make you a new set for $70 a knob.

Hence why I am going NightForce.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#23]

I have never called Leupold other than the custom shop...multiple times and nobody knew what I was talking about.
(Marked the knobs as 1 MOA clicks vs .5 MOA.). I got those knobs in an exchange from leupold for my .308 knobs. They wouldn't fix their mistake after I told them the knobs are wrong. They told me "sorry", we can make you a new set for $70 a knob.

View All Quotes

Thanks

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8

This has been covered SO many times. Buy the correct model. It will come with the correctly marked turrets from the factory. You should never have to call the custom shop or even worry about custom turrets. The TS-30 A2, model #112633 was SPECIFICALLY produced for the Mk 12 Mod 1. I'm not sure where someone saw the #112633 with .308 turrets but that sounds like a website misprint. If you order the correct scope from the beginning, your turrets come like this. End of story.

The Leupold custom shop will NOT make custom Mk12 turrets for ANY other scope other than the EXACT same version as the TS-30 A2 but the civie model. It has to be the Mark 4 MR-T 2.5-8x36mm M2. They will not make Mk12 labeled turrets for M1 or M3 turrets. If you have the wrong model (the civie model), why not just sell it and then buy the correct one? They retain their value just fine and it's probably a lot less hassle then trying to get turrets made from the custom shop. The EXACT scope with the EXACT model number that was issued with the Mk12 is freely available for us to buy, for roughly the same price, and comes with all the correct markings, reticle, etc… I don't know why anyone would buy anything else? Unless they just prefer a different brand like Nightforce.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Now if i could only find some mk262 77gr in stock!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone actually ever had a problem with their ARMS rings? Slipping? RTZ? Failing?

I hear allot of bullshit around the intertubes about them being shitty rings when all things are considered, unless you are building a spec clone of a .mil rifle.

I've owned two sets of ARMS rings on my MK12's but I never really used them besides a few range trips.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Socomike] [#26]
Or you could spend significantly less on a regular 2.5-8 and call the custom shop. Get your tech's email and follow up with a picture of the exact knob and specifically state they come factory on your "TS-30A2 model. 40$ later and a couple weeks the knob is at your house. Then spend the difference on mk262.

I've done this twice now.

As far as arms rings reliability. Let's just say tgey have come a long way in 15 or so years. I've had about 5 sets now and have had 0 problems. If anything, they have been a little to right on the QD throw lever. I'm sure there were problems back in the day.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the issues and reputation has less to do with the ARMS rings and more to do with the width of the rail they're on.

For giggles I took my harris bipod with ARMS #32 and attached it to every picatinny rail I had. Among them were eight different PRi rail pieces.  On some it takes zero effort to close the lever, others takes pushing for all I'm worth and then using a line to get leverage on the lever to break it loose.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#28]
You know what? I ordered a custom 77gr turret MONTHS ago and those twerps never filled my order. I might just screw the fucking .308 turret on and call it good.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

This has been covered SO many times. Buy the correct model. It will come with the correctly marked turrets from the factory. You should never have to call the custom shop or even worry about custom turrets. The TS-30 A2, model #112633 was SPECIFICALLY produced for the Mk 12 Mod 1. I'm not sure where someone saw the #112633 with .308 turrets but that sounds like a website misprint. If you order the correct scope from the beginning, your turrets come like this. End of story.

http://d.pr/i/VAgN+

The Leupold custom shop will NOT make custom Mk12 turrets for ANY other scope other than the EXACT same version as the TS-30 A2 but the civie model. It has to be the Mark 4 MR-T 2.5-8x36mm M2. They will not make Mk12 labeled turrets for M1 or M3 turrets. If you have the wrong model (the civie model), why not just sell it and then buy the correct one? They retain their value just fine and it's probably a lot less hassle then trying to get turrets made from the custom shop. The EXACT scope with the EXACT model number that was issued with the Mk12 is freely available for us to buy, for roughly the same price, and comes with all the correct markings, reticle, etc… I don't know why anyone would buy anything else? Unless they just prefer a different brand like Nightforce.
View Quote

The TS-30 A2 wasn't available with a mil discount. I got my 2.5-8x36 M2 illuminated TMR for $750 several years ago brand new.
Lots of people have stated that they have called Leupold and received MK12 knobs by request.

Besides, I prefer mil/mil.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#30]

The TS-30 A2 wasn't available with a mil discount. I got my 2.5-8x36 M2 illuminated TMR for $750 several years ago brand new.
Lots of people have stated that they have called Leupold and received MK12 knobs by request.

View Quote

It's on the 2014 price list.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
You know what? I canned for a custom 77gr turret MONTHS ago and those twerps never filled my order. I might just screw the fucking .308 turret on and call it good.
View Quote

I wonder how close the .223 55grn turrets are as opposed to the .308 168grn turrets as far as hitting a 12" steel gong out to 600 would be...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Have you tried Kevin at HCS? I ordered a case of Black Hills 77gr about 4.5 weeks ago from Kevin.

Also, try this website. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

View All Quotes

When I ordered my Mk8 CQBSS in 2012, the rep told me that the mil discount was only good for active and reservists (I was inactive reserve at the time). Now that I have fully completed my contract, I don't think I'm eligible.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#34]
How is the concussion from the OPS Inc muzzle brake? Is it similar to an ak74 brake?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bad_company2:
How is the concussion from the OPS Inc muzzle brake? Is it similar to an ak74 brake?
View Quote

It's not that bad. Wear ear pro.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#36]

When I ordered my Mk8 CQBSS in 2012, the rep told me that the mil discount was only good for active and reservists (I was inactive reserve at the time). Now that I have fully completed my contract, I don't think I'm eligible.
View All Quotes

Yeah I gave up on Mil discount stuff the day I walked off post (with a DD214, not Bergdahl here). There are companies that extend their discounts to Vets, but I just don't expect it personally. I did the Vet thing on my license, but honestly I never ask about vet discounts.

In other news, I'm trying to think of little Mk12 related things I could ask for as an Anniversary present. I'm in the middle of a rebuild/conversion to Mod 1 and I'm not pushing "spec" with this build. A McKay lower might be spiffy but I'm not sure the wife is confident on buying lowers and stuff.

Maybe a Mk12 Mod 0 tattoo?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#37]

I wonder how close the .223 55grn turrets are as opposed to the .308 168grn turrets as far as hitting a 12" steel gong out to 600 would be...
View All Quotes

You know what? I canned for a custom 77gr turret MONTHS ago and those twerps never filled my order. I might just screw the fucking .308 turret on and call it good.

I'm told it's very close with 77gr match. Back before Leupold made the custom turret, .mil shooters just used the .308 turret.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

I think Wideners still has IMI Razor Core in stock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Socomike:
Or you could spend significantly less on a regular 2.5-8 and call the custom shop. Get your tech's email and follow up with a picture of the exact knob and specifically state they come factory on your "TS-30A2 model. 40$ later and a couple weeks the knob is at your house. Then spend the difference on mk262.

View Quote

AFAIK they have almost the exact same MSRP. Are you saying "significantly cheaper" because you have a .mil discount? I picked mine up NIB for $1020. Is the 2.5-8 civie version really that much cheaper?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

http://d.pr/i/VAgN+

I found a turret on ebay marked 5.56/223  62GR  M855  100YDS 1MOA OFT 59F 3100FPS anyone else see one of these ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#41]

AFAIK they have almost the exact same MSRP. Are you saying "significantly cheaper" because you have a .mil discount? I picked mine up NIB for $1020. Is the 2.5-8 civie version really that much cheaper?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Socomike:

Yes, I was speaking in terms of mil discount.  TS30 is 932.00 and regular is mid 700s.  also speaking in terms of used scopes I have picked up 2 2.5-8's for sub 700 dollars.  I have yet to see a used TS30 that low.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm stuck with the normal version up north since leupold won't sell the ts30 to the Canadian distributor
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I love the discussion, but this thread needs more pictures!

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Bison barrel arrived - will send off to ADCO in the next week.

Plan is to clone the bottom one (paint and all), except I'll use an ACS stock...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

View Quote

Plan is to clone the bottom one (paint and all), except I'll use an ACS stock...

Negative. Your options are old school CAR or SOPMOD. Deal with it bro.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

I figured the ACS was kosher because of these dudes below:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#47]

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/ODA53X/image_zpsaad3b188.jpg

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/837ffddca4b1d58f001053593892905c/tumblr_msnx89pBZ41suph8to1_1280.jpg

View All Quotes

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/837ffddca4b1d58f001053593892905c/tumblr_msnx89pBZ41suph8to1_1280.jpg

I think he is just messing with you because he doesn't like that stock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I picked up a set of KAC 45 degree irons instead of an mrds like the holland above...and man they are sweet!

The next dmr match is gonna go swimmingly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Highlande2:
View All Quotes

Hah, sometimes I can never tell on here - part of me thought so.

I'm bad with that, especially on this site.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Guilty as charged.

Page / 1194
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top