Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1195
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGreatDanton] [#1]
Guys when starting a mk12 clone is it best to source AEM5 first then upper? I hate the waits on C3 stuff. What's the consensus of the guys with experience waiting?

I've already purchased the FF RAS.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGreatDanton:
Guys when starting a mk12 clone is it best to source AEM5 first then upper? I hate the waits on C3 stuff. What's the consensus of the guys with experience waiting?

View Quote

You might as well. If you know you want it and hate waiting I wouldn't see why you would want to wait even longer to buy it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Those are the two hardest parts to source. So yeah, get the can and start builiding the rest while you wait. I wish I'd have done that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Those are the two hardest parts to source. So yeah, get the can and start builiding the rest while you wait. I wish I'd have done that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

^^^^^^yep
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]

The almighty brown box 262 mod 0.

I really dig that round. Same with my Mk318.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Haven't used a peq 2 in a long time, but if you have to remove the rail to install the peq, probably that's why.
View All Quotes

Haven't used a peq 2 in a long time, but if you have to remove the rail to install the peq, probably that's why.

remove the rail?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#8]
Where's the cheap 77gr CBC?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I just need an upper, barrel, gas block, BCG and scope.

Unfortunately, house buying stopped all my fun money.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Go check out the EE Upper receiver section specifically the post that reads Authentic military issued SPR (MK12) upper from PRI.  For 5k you can have a Mod 0 upper that was legit used by SF.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

So you pretty much need a whole gun, lol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm careful to not over-tighten mine because I don't want it to get partially seized.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Originally Posted By ABNglocker:
My AEM5 finally got released to me a few days ago. I got to shoot it indoors today for the first time, I'm loving it. I'm concerned about the muzzle break unscrewing inside the can. Has anybody used rocksett or is it kosher to just screw down the muzzle break with a crush washer and call it good?
Absolutely.

That's what OPS instructed for installation.

The can will come loose before the brake does. Hell my can comes loose all the time. Never been a problem.
No doubt.

How many rounds do you get through before you notice it backing off?

I'm careful to not over-tighten mine because I don't want it to get partially seized.

FWIW I put the can on pretty tight and have never had any issues taking it off.  I just put some oil on the threads whenever I clean the rifle and put the can back on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
So, how much flak am I going to get if I run a Leupy MK4 3.5-10X40mm M2 illum FDE on my Mod 1? I just sold my M3 illum to a buddy that I built a mod 1 for, for a lot less than I should have, but we were in the Corps together and I helped him out. I was going to run a NF 2.5-10 on it but I have to ditch a rifle I built to fund it so it will be a bit. My AEM5 should clear next month so like it or not you will be seeing pics with semi incorrect glass! On the other end we have been stretching the legs out on them consistently to 600+ every Friday for the last month. Forgot how much I love these little rifles,.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By eblack:

So, how much flak am I going to get if I run a Leupy MK4 3.5-10X40mm M2 illum FDE on my Mod 1? I just sold my M3 illum to a buddy that I built a mod 1 for, for a lot less than I should have, but we were in the Corps together and I helped him out. I was going to run a NF 2.5-10 on it but I have to ditch a rifle I built to fund it so it will be a bit. My AEM5 should clear next month so like it or not you will be seeing pics with semi incorrect glass! On the other end we have been stretching the legs out on them consistently to 600+ every Friday for the last month. Forgot how much I love these little rifles,.
View Quote

Use it. Who cares if it's FDE? You should be spray-painting your guns and glass ANYWAYS.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

It's been awhile, but the two houses I currently have tied up with my VA loan didn't require any cash up front.... Sounds like someone isn't using all his resources.

Mk12's > furniture
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:

It's been awhile, but the two houses I currently have tied up with my VA loan didn't require any cash up front.... Sounds like someone isn't using all his resources.

Mk12's > furniture
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:

Mk12's > furniture

This. The wife can wait for furniature. The Mk12 cannot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Use it. Who cares if it's FDE? You should be spray-painting your guns and glass ANYWAYS.
View All Quotes

Guns all get Krylon, glass does not, I swap out glass to much to paint it and resell sucks on painted glass you can never quite get all of it off. On the other side I did just pick up a painted NF NXS 3.5-15X50 2 days ago for $900 that was painted so it goes both ways.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Where's the cheap 77gr CBC?
View Quote

PSA and CTD
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Guns all get Krylon, glass does not, I swap out glass to much to paint it and resell sucks on painted glass you can never quite get all of it off. On the other side I did just pick up a painted NF NXS 3.5-15X50 2 days ago for $900 that was painted so it goes both ways.
View All Quotes

Ugh! Where'd you find it and how old is it? I'm assuming it's an NSX, not an F1. Mad jelly of you scoring that deal; I'm about to grab one NIB for $1500ish.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Ugh! Where'd you find it and how old is it? I'm assuming it's an NSX, not an F1. Mad jelly of you scoring that deal; I'm about to grab one NIB for $1500ish.
View All Quotes

Its an NSX. Friend of mine just finished up a a 300wm build and the NF was a space saver for his MK8, so I took it off his hands for him to put on my 300wm build that I haven't even started yet! Its a 2011 model, zs moa/moa
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By voodochild:
Go check out the EE Upper receiver section specifically the post that reads Authentic military issued SPR (MK12) upper from PRI.  For 5k you can have a Mod 0 upper that was legit used by SF.
View All Quotes

Mod 0 is for gays and she men
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

I already have a 12th model,  ops inc mounts, arms high rings and hand guard
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

I think you meant the Holland. You can edit your quote now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

View All Quotes

Mod Half-ass too
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Mod Half-ass too
View All Quotes

Mod Half-ass too

That's better. I got mad love for the 0. Not so much for the Army's midget Mk12.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#26]
FDE is G2G on Mod H at the very least. they WERE issued and we had em on our M14's and some other setups.

EDIT: Page ownage and non kosher RDS on my MOD Haterae

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Just put a long collar on and the OPS stops at 4.5 turns, with the old collar it goes on between 5.5 and 6. Is this a problem? Do I need to get the collar shortened?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#28]

That's better. I got mad love for the 0. Not so much for the Army's midget Mk12.
View All Quotes

Mod Half-ass too

Y'all made me laugh so hard but hey now I'm trying to build a Holland upper
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jax_Guns:
Just put a long collar on and the OPS stops at 4.5 turns, with the old collar it goes on between 5.5 and 6. Is this a problem? Do I need to get the collar shortened?
View Quote

Your collar isn't seated all the way. You're fine with 4.5 rotations, but that's cutting it pretty close on the minimum recommended.  Entirely up to you, but I would probably put a shim behind the brake just for a little peace of mind.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Its bottoming out against the FSB. I have a couple of these so I am just going to have the backs machined a little bit and reparked.

Originally Posted By Hunterex:

Your collar isn't seated all the way. You're fine with 4.5 rotations, but that's cutting it pretty close on the minimum recommended.  Entirely up to you, but I would probably put a shim behind the brake just for a little peace of mind.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Its bottoming out against the FSB. I have a couple of these so I am just going to have the backs machined a little bit and reparked.

View All Quotes

That'll work.  What barrel are you using, again?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Id probably shorten the back of the collar so that it sits on the barrel step. Besides that, my Holland only gets 4 turns with a short collar and it's been just fine.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#33]
BA

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Why would you machine back the rear of the collar?

Your problem lies where the inside step is machined inside the collar.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ankratz] [#35]

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Back of collar is up against FSB before the inside step of the collar is up against the barrel step.

This can cause concentricity issues with the suppressor since the collar is not completely seated to the barrel step.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#37]
Damage Ind. has M4 stripped uppers for $38 (from $99). I had to fo.

They say they're contract receivers with milled T marks. Not sure what the "contract" means though

And they've already got the dry lube film applied.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#38]

They say they're contract receivers with milled T marks. Not sure what the "contract" means though

View Quote

WOW that is insanely cheap...and THE M4 upper to have. man I wanna get one and I have ZERO need lol.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

WOW that is insanely cheap...and THE M4 upper to have. man I wanna get one and I have ZERO need lol.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

What's need got to do with it? I have four or five stripped uppers waiting for barrels.  

Every time I see a quality upper for under $45 I snag it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:56:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Movistar] [#40]
Range report:

My CLE 4/15 mfg Douglas that is 17.75 OAL got 8 turns with Spartanglory11's AEM5. Adco assembled mod 1 with ops brand long collar and one crush washer and 2 shims leaving the brake and the crown timed perfectly. (Confirming the missing length is between the gas port and the step, hence why the long collar doesn't work on the mod 0 when I had the same exact barrel measuring exactly the same. Just FYI if anyone cares.)

Of note: Spartanglory11's HCS mod 1 with AE short collar and the same brake timing got 3.75 turns and shot just fine this weeked.

No pics of my MK12 from the outing but here's one of my shortaye' (say it like T-pain) (fake PEQ15 alert. Just wanted to see how it looked)

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Look what came in the mail today!!

" />
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Movistar:
Range report:

My CLE 4/15 mfg Douglas that is 17.75 OAL got 8 turns with Spartanglory11's AEM5. Adco assembled mod 1 with ops brand long collar and one crush washer and 2 shims leaving the brake and the crown timed perfectly. (Confirming the missing length is between the gas port and the step, hence why the long collar doesn't work on the mod 0 when I had the same exact barrel measuring exactly the same. Just FYI if anyone cares.)

Of note: Spartanglory11's HCS mod 1 with AE short collar and the same brake timing got 3.75 turns and shot just fine this weeked.

No pics of my MK12 from the outing but here's one of my shortaye' (say it like T-pain) (fake PEQ15 alert. Just wanted to see how it looked)

<a href="http://s902.photobucket.com/user/Fivejackmans/media/845AC766-D8D3-4E30-90E3-FB0847FA1DBF_zpsrjqmp75h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/Fivejackmans/845AC766-D8D3-4E30-90E3-FB0847FA1DBF_zpsrjqmp75h.jpg</a>
View Quote

Its ok,  They can refer back to my post.  Same stump mine is propped on

I think I butted into a somewhat serious conversation when I posted.  It was talk,talk,talk, my pictures, talk talk talk.  I don't think anyone noticed
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#43]
Shot the Holland and rezeroed after ripping it all apart. Was only off .5mil right. Good to go again. :)

Pic thread

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I have posted in the past about my HCS barrel when I began to suspect something was not right with it after my aem5 got to my dealer. I was running an OPs brake and collar and a a surefire shim and getting 3 turns on the can. I ended up installing the Allen collar and taking out the shin and just running a crush washer hoping that maybe the ops collar was out of spec or not seating properly. Here is the result.
Barrel has about 2000 rds down the pipe.

How it sits with brake and collar

Can before being threaded on

Threaded on

1 and 1/4 turns!!!!

How it measures up

I will drop a rod later to measure barrel length.
What do I do my can should clear in a few weeks? Reprofile barrel or collar, or say screw it and get a BA barrel, since my buddies mk12 has 5 full turns on his
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#45]

I have posted in the past about my HCS barrel when I began to suspect something was not right with it after my aem5 got to my dealer. I was running an OPs brake and collar and a a surefire shim and getting 3 turns on the can. I ended up installing the Allen collar and taking out the shin and just running a crush washer hoping that maybe the ops collar was out of spec or not seating properly. Here is the result.

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/0285C4F5-3FE0-4F92-A114-B43629244742_zpsn4mvere3.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/61557A9A-C772-4C53-A11B-A0E6B74651D1_zps8a1yprd7.jpg
Threaded on

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/3B4CF331-A214-4478-B68D-0A0B9D566030_zpsxwfxi8yy.jpg
1 and 1/4 turns!!!!
How it measures up

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/21BDC06C-B330-4004-B7E8-29FFC6953515_zpsxspprlxl.jpg

What do I do my can should clear in a few weeks? Reprofile barrel or collar, or say screw it and get a BA barrel, since my buddies mk12 has 5 full turns on his
View Quote

you measured it wrong.

Barrel shoulder to center of 20 degree taper

You're missing almost .25"
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#46]

you measured it wrong.

View All Quotes

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/0285C4F5-3FE0-4F92-A114-B43629244742_zpsn4mvere3.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/61557A9A-C772-4C53-A11B-A0E6B74651D1_zps8a1yprd7.jpg

Threaded on
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/3B4CF331-A214-4478-B68D-0A0B9D566030_zpsxwfxi8yy.jpg

1 and 1/4 turns!!!!

How it measures up
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/SgtUSMCirqafg/21BDC06C-B330-4004-B7E8-29FFC6953515_zpsxspprlxl.jpg

you measured it wrong.

Yes the step on your barrel (or ops shelf as I've heard it called) just needs to be moved back.

I agree with Dan. It should measure 2 inches from the center of the taper on the collar to the shoulder of the barrel (before the crush washer)

HCS barrels have seemed to have the problem lately. But it's an easy fix unlike other problems we have seen. Just needs to have the shelf moved back on the lathe
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#48]

Your barrel is machined properly. Barrel shoulder to barrel step should be 1 5/8"

If you guys are measuring your barrel, do not measure any part of any threads.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Put the collar back on; make sure it's seated all the way then measure from the middle of the taper on the collar to the shoulder of the barrel (where the threads start)
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#50]
First off, I apologize for the late reply. I've been out of town on business and away from the computer. Just getting caught up.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues guys are having with the collars. I'm going to look into that today and if there is a tolerance issue we'll take care of it. This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about the gas blocks, and I will say that we hold the extreme tight end of the tolerance specification. If a barrel holds the tight end as well, tolerance stacking will occur. That alone doesn't fix the issue though, so I'm pushing to get the gas blocks loosened up a bit while still staying within the NAVSPEC.

The only thing I'll add is c'mon guys... lets act like men here. If you have an issue with something let the company know before you start mudslinging on the internet. Give them a chance to assist and/or correct any mistake before going that route. We're all human and mistakes can happen, including pounding a device on a barrel when it clearly doesn't seem to fit.

MILSPEC556, I'd be curious to know what bad news you've heard about our products. Since you didn't mind making the statement, perhaps you wouldn't IM me to elaborate?

I'll stay in touch regarding the collars.

Page / 1195
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top