User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1196
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usnguns] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
Oddly enough, having a hard time finding this info....

For a Mod 1 and a NF 2.5-10x24, which is correct rings to clear correct buis (KAC 200-600 non-micro rear) - X-High/1.375" or XX-High/1.5" ?

Or alternatively, which NF Unimount, if acceptable for the Mod1?
View Quote
X-High/1.375 will clear the KAC sight.

Edit for page ownership.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By usnguns:

Edit for page ownership.
http://i.imgur.com/FGZp4i1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e99v1Lr.jpg
View Quote
Ho. Lee. Shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By blcouch:

When I get mine, if the threads don't match and the threaded piece can come out, I may look into having a correct threaded piece done up by someone.  If it's feasible, I may have more than one made.  This may be a business opportunity for me: buy airsoft 12th Models and sell them to those behind enemy lines for photo ops
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks a bit like something I've been working on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59096/F1A-265865.JPG
View Quote
Where were all you people when I needed you?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, my plea for help part 2.  I have assembled my MK 12 and short about 150 rounds of various match ammo (Black Hills MK 262, FGMM, Remington Match, Hornady Match) through it.  The problem is, it doesn't shoot as good as I think it should.  It typically hovers about 1.5 MOA.  I'm about to pull my hair out with this thing.

I bought a Douglas MK 12 barrel from Precision Reflex and mated it to a Colt upper and BCG.  I suspect that this barrel is not the air gauged match version.

I have contacted them to see what they think the problem is and they said to remove the brake to see if it helps.  So today I went back to the range without the brake and all it did was move the POI about 3 minutes right.  Precision Reflex said I could ship the upper and BCG to them and they would do the same treatment that they perform on all of their complete MK 12 uppers.

Attachment Attached File

Left 6 shots with FGMM 77gr OTM/Right 5 shots with Remington Ultramatch 77gr

Is this what I should expect out of a $400 barrel, or should I send it in?

Attachment Attached File

For comparison, a 3 shot group from my Krieger barreled M110 to show that it's not the shooter.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ArpaioFan:
Okay, my plea for help part 2.  I have assembled my MK 12 and short about 150 rounds of various match ammo (Black Hills MK 262, FGMM, Remington Match, Hornady Match) through it.  The problem is, it doesn't shoot as good as I think it should.  It typically hovers about 1.5 MOA.  I'm about to pull my hair out with this thing.

I bought a Douglas MK 12 barrel from Precision Reflex and mated it to a Colt upper and BCG.  I suspect that this barrel is not the air gauged match version.

I have contacted them to see what they think the problem is and they said to remove the brake to see if it helps.  So today I went back to the range without the brake and all it did was move the POI about 3 minutes right.  Precision Reflex said I could ship the upper and BCG to them and they would do the same treatment that they perform on all of their complete MK 12 uppers.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239198/IMG-0792-266084.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239198/IMG-0788-266083.JPG
For comparison, a 3 shot group from my Krieger barreled M110 to show that it's not the shooter.  
View Quote
I think my barrel came from White Oak or Compass Lake.  That was 2005 so it's hazy.  It shot better than that but WES did do a little lapping of the bore.  I'd say the obvious things:

Scope mounts tight and rings tight but not too tight

Anything touching the barrel

Crown condition

Barrel nut tight

Brake touching bullets passing through( but it does the same thing without just in another direction)

Puzzler, man.  Someone said in another thread about something else: "pull upper apart and fo back together step by step carefully". Paraphrasing of course.

Good luck.  Let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Edit for page ownership.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
Oddly enough, having a hard time finding this info....

For a Mod 1 and a NF 2.5-10x24, which is correct rings to clear correct buis (KAC 200-600 non-micro rear) - X-High/1.375" or XX-High/1.5" ?

Or alternatively, which NF Unimount, if acceptable for the Mod1?

Edit for page ownership.
Yeah the 1.375s will clear it but I found the 1.5s work better for cheek weld
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
In the 150 or so rnds you've put through it, have you avoided cleaning the tube to allow the barrel to settle? They shoot much better dirty in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
If you make this and want to sell any please let me know
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
Very interested...
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
Very interested as well..
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Just listed some 80% lowers that I etched in ee. I'm still planning on doing write up for the diy guys. Bear with me until I get it all done
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Yeah the 1.375s will clear it but I found the 1.5s work better for cheek weld
View Quote
Local shop stocks 1.5's. they they prefer them to the 1.375's it appears.  22H's are 1.45, so (assuming NF and ARMS measure from same point) appears one can go slightly higher or slightly lower than the 22H, just not sure if one is preferred over the other for any reason?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Edit for page ownership.
View Quote
 Bro. GTFO.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:28:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#16]
Also I listed my 112633 and 22H no lever stops in the EE...shameless plug :).
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Sort of Mk12 but may be off topic. I ordered my bipods and adapter for my Mod 1 from 'Freedom Ammunition' (not to be confused with Freedom Munitions) and it's been over a week with no updates, tracking info etc. I have emailed and called but no answer. Anyone with similar experience or advice on what I should do?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jasont87:
Sort of Mk12 but may be off topic. I ordered my bipods and adapter for my Mod 1 from 'Freedom Ammunition' (not to be confused with Freedom Munitions) and it's been over a week with no updates, tracking info etc. I have emailed and called but no answer. Anyone with similar experience or advice on what I should do?
View Quote
A quick Facebook search shows they have a 1.2 star rating.  Looks like bad business practices and bad products.   Good luck. Maybe a CC chargeback?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mister_Donut:

For those of you who are wondering why in hell I am talking about airsoft cans, it's because Canada has decided that banning suppressors will save thousands of babies.

Was it this one you were looking at?

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_Silencers_Z_Parts_MK12_Suppressor_for_MK12_MOD1_Set.htm

http://img-cdn.redwolfairsoft.com/upload/product/img/Z-KIT-007-1L.jpg
View Quote
Cool. First one I've seen.
RonA
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By vagpunisher:
Just listed some 80% lowers that I etched in ee. I'm still planning on doing write up for the diy guys. Bear with me until I get it all done
View Quote
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
What size collar should be used on a Holland? I have both short and long. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pettus253:
What size collar should be used on a Holland? I have both short and long. Thanks!
View Quote
Long for all Mk12 versions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay thank you

Originally Posted By prskiller:

Long for all Mk12 versions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxima2] [#24]

View Quote
You could try to glue in the barrel with locktite.

Does the gas tube go into the bolt carrier smoothly as the carrier slides back and forth with minimum movement? Centered?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote
I know, it's crap, but it's all I've got so far.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
Look good to me.  Scope choice gets tough with exact clones. The barrels will most likely always be available.   Do what you can when you can is one of my mottos.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Gotta get more glass
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Look good to me.  Scope choice gets tough with exact clones. The barrels will most likely always be available. Do what you can when you can is one of my mottos.
View All Quotes

Look good to me.  Scope choice gets tough with exact clones. The barrels will most likely always be available. Do what you can when you can is one of my mottos.
Yeah don't sweat it. You'll get there. 
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ShaneWang:
Gotta get more glass
http://i.imgur.com/pEog5e5.jpg
View Quote
2 legit 2 quit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

Thanks guys :)

A few more parts came in.  The only thing missing now that I actually ordered is the receiver - stripped KAC SR-15.  Though not clone correct, I think I will be satisfied with it for now and focus my attention on getting the correct barrel and maybe the right glass.

Since all I've ever had was ARs with collapsible butt stocks (with the exception of the 20" PWS built that I tore down to start this project), I wanted something with the traditional fixed butt stock.  It's funny, when I first joined the Reserves, I didn't like the fixed butt stock on the C7A1s, and all I wanted at the time was carbine butt stocks, rails and red dots.  

Anyway, I understand that the LMT SOPMOD stocks have been seen on Mk12s, but I wanted this build to look different than all my other ARs so I started sourcing an A1 or A2 butt stock.  I found an A1 for sale online so I jumped on it, and supposedly it was a Vietnam era Colt, along with a Vietnam era Colt pistol grip.  I had no way of authenticating that these were Vietnam era (perhaps I can get the opinions of the folks from the forum?), but I'd been having an incredibly hard time finding an A1 stock in Canada through any retailers, and even A2 stocks weren't easy to come by.  My buddy Hermes gave me an A2 from his spare parts bin, but it was missing parts, so I took a chance and ordered this A1.

Well, I found parts for the A2 about the same time I found the A1, so I bought those too, lol!

So, now I have a complete A2 stock, not sure what brand it is, or the exact model.  Not that it's super important, but can anyone here tell just by looking at it?  I can post pics of specific areas on the stock if there are identifying marks.

Also ordered the KAC Flip Up Front Sight (part #99051) in exchange for my left nut.  $239 (CAD) for a folding sight I likely will never use considering the status of ARs in Canada (can't shoot it outside of a designated shooting range so basically restricted to shooting off a bench or prone), it was a lot of coin to drop in the name of clone building.

A1 grip that came with the A1 stock.  I already have one of these for my Mk18 clone build, and found that I liked it, so I grabbed another, and it was fairly cheap so hard to complain.  I've seen a lot of Mk12 builds with Ergos, and I think I may have one of those laying around in my spare parts bin, but we'll see if I go with the Ergo or stick with the A1.

I think the C mark inside the grip is one way to authenticate that it's Colt?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So, this is the A1 stock I sourced.  What a POS, lol!  The seller said it was from a Vietnam era rifle, and considering all the rust on it, I find that very possible.  Definitely a chargeable offence if seen during inspection.  

The plastic seems to have expanded and the rubber butt pad was cracked in some places, but more or less intact.

Not sure what the spots are on the A1, probably mildew or some other sort of funky growth.  I've since hosed it down with some G96 so it's a bit darker, hiding the splotches, and it smells nice now.

The newer A2 stock on the left and the A1 on the right.  I have no idea how to tell if it's a real Colt butt stock as the seller claimed.

A comparison of the butt pad.  The A2 came with a trap door for an AR tool kit, and it seems to be in excellent working order.  The inside appears to be simple hard foam of some sort.

I don't think I have the skills to salvage this thing.  I gave it a squirt of G96 so instead of a bright red rust color, it's now a a dark red rust color.

I swear they dug this stock out from the bottom of some swamp somewhere in Southeast Asia.

Comparison of the three fixed butt stocks I have now.  I'll probably end up using the A2 stock.  I really liked my PRS stock when it was on my PWS build, and though it makes total sense to use it, but my OCD is not giving me the nod of approval.  And though I've heard some people prefer the A1 because of the shorter length of pull, I'm not sure I want to use that swamp donkey of a stock.  I'll try to clean it up and see if I can get that thing to look a little better.

So I threw the A2 onto my LE6920 lower (from my Mk18 build) just to see what the assembled rifle would look like with a fixed stock. I found the length of pull acceptable actually, so I may not even need the A1 stock. Another consideration was eye relief of the scope. Since I'm running a non-clone correct scope, it may have different eye-relief than a clone correct scope. With the Patrol, I found it had very forgiving eye relief and I don't need my face right up to it to see.

From the side, the rifle looks pretty long.  With the 20" barrel and the A2 stock, it actually is quite a bit longer than your typical Mk12 build.  This is probably painfully obvious to the seasoned clone builder, but to the uninformed, I think it probably doesn't look too bad.

Pic with my other 20" AR.  

I'm not calling this build done, but it's pretty damn close (for me), and I am very satisfied with how it looks compared to what I had previously.  There was nothing wrong with the PWS set up I had before, and it was a shooter, but I just wanted something that looked different.  I kept the barrel from it because it produced sub MOA groups, but the heart of a proper Mk12 clone is the 18" Douglas barrel, so I may get one eventually, or just be content that I have something close.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice c7a2!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#34]
How much POI shift should there be @100yds with 77grOTM vs m193?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Helojumper2001:
Dudes, here's something that will brighten everyone's day. So PRI is in the process of making reproduction thumbwheel fsb. I'm told that they will be ready for purchase in about 2-3 weeks. No word yet on pricing or how long these will be produced.  Here's some pics that I got from Tony at PRI.  Tony tells me that only a trained eye would be able to tell the difference from the originals. 

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/helojumper2001/IMG_3214_zpstwk75rpg.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/helojumper2001/IMG_3213_zps1vn1wegz.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/helojumper2001/IMG_3212_zpsblgtldnf.jpg
View Quote
Pics are obviously dead, but has anyone heard any updates on this?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mrsaturn7085:

Pics are obviously dead, but has anyone heard any updates on this?
View Quote
I think that's months old.

I got a wheeled FSB from PRI when I built my mod 0 a few months ago.  The hood over the post is completely different.  If you know to look for the wheel, you'll notice the hood.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#37]
With the 20" barrel
View Quote
Thank god I read that part! I was wondering if my mind was warping when I saw the AE Collar being that off. I was so confused when everyone else didn't notice it!

Haha, looks great, though. I highly recommend the Ergo grips. They're my second favorite ever, and I can't stand a1/a2 grips unless you absolutely gotta have it for clone-age.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
How much POI shift should there be @100yds with 77grOTM vs m193?
View Quote
Mine varies from 1.5" - 2", depending on brand/load.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By vanquishings:

Thank god I read that part! I was wondering if my mind was warping when I saw the AE Collar being that off. I was so confused when everyone else didn't notice it!

Haha, looks great, though. I highly recommend the Ergo grips. They're my second favorite ever, and I can't stand a1/a2 grips unless you absolutely gotta have it for clone-age.
View Quote
Lol, I think most folks here already knew about it because I was moaning about having the wrong barrel a few pages back.

I actually have an Ergo grip on one of my other ARs and they do feel great, and I'm pretty sure I've got an extra one laying in my spare parts box somewhere.  When my stripped lower show up, I'll throw it on there just to see how it looks :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 02Overlander:
In the 150 or so rnds you've put through it, have you avoided cleaning the tube to allow the barrel to settle? They shoot much better dirty in my experience.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 02Overlander:

Ditto.  These bitches like it dirty.  Had similar experience of grouping around 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" at 100m.  Also, it seems weird but shoot at 200m and check groups there.  After running mine a bit it gave 1-1/2" and under at 200m.  I've got about 300 down the pipe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks guys :)

A few more parts came in.  The only thing missing now that I actually ordered is the receiver - stripped KAC SR-15.  Though not clone correct, I think I will be satisfied with it for now and focus my attention on getting the correct barrel and maybe the right glass.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GiB7HkDKPAQ/WX6bjZ8Q3FI/AAAAAAAAo7k/A8nlb1tvHU4vpXRtF1u_O5WBg18XbTm2wCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289559.JPG

Since all I've ever had was ARs with collapsible butt stocks (with the exception of the 20" PWS built that I tore down to start this project), I wanted something with the traditional fixed butt stock.  It's funny, when I first joined the Reserves, I didn't like the fixed butt stock on the C7A1s, and all I wanted at the time was carbine butt stocks, rails and red dots.  

Anyway, I understand that the LMT SOPMOD stocks have been seen on Mk12s, but I wanted this build to look different than all my other ARs so I started sourcing an A1 or A2 butt stock.  I found an A1 for sale online so I jumped on it, and supposedly it was a Vietnam era Colt, along with a Vietnam era Colt pistol grip.  I had no way of authenticating that these were Vietnam era (perhaps I can get the opinions of the folks from the forum?), but I'd been having an incredibly hard time finding an A1 stock in Canada through any retailers, and even A2 stocks weren't easy to come by.  My buddy Hermes gave me an A2 from his spare parts bin, but it was missing parts, so I took a chance and ordered this A1.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lSLQ4flwdWA/WX6bjYpY0LI/AAAAAAAAo7k/EdB-OgLS-gkVX0U-n8s_Me-5F8IuBa15QCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289560.JPG

Well, I found parts for the A2 about the same time I found the A1, so I bought those too, lol!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hRSmN_1HzZE/WX6bjbrCAgI/AAAAAAAAo7k/l64KHSaVUikAIE6PvLjB-87U_Z0Nj9qUwCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289561.JPG

So, now I have a complete A2 stock, not sure what brand it is, or the exact model.  Not that it's super important, but can anyone here tell just by looking at it?  I can post pics of specific areas on the stock if there are identifying marks.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lV2_5TFihG8/WX6bjSC_yrI/AAAAAAAAo7k/FvV8JqAvyGYIjViyXuVdSpUYlOD5EDaFQCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289562.JPG

Also ordered the KAC Flip Up Front Sight (part #99051) in exchange for my left nut.  $239 (CAD) for a folding sight I likely will never use considering the status of ARs in Canada (can't shoot it outside of a designated shooting range so basically restricted to shooting off a bench or prone), it was a lot of coin to drop in the name of clone building.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e5RB_h-dusA/WX6bjUuuAeI/AAAAAAAAo7k/lLNAN6swJnUVrGDKEDTQKTGMUU0vDw7TgCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289563.JPG

A1 grip that came with the A1 stock.  I already have one of these for my Mk18 clone build, and found that I liked it, so I grabbed another, and it was fairly cheap so hard to complain.  I've seen a lot of Mk12 builds with Ergos, and I think I may have one of those laying around in my spare parts bin, but we'll see if I go with the Ergo or stick with the A1.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tj_BJCm8vy0/WX6bjcuHQdI/AAAAAAAAo7k/gXiDcCVL1rU4JhcMNucUI2qH1WBvVXSMACKgBGAs/s1600/P7289564.JPG

I think the C mark inside the grip is one way to authenticate that it's Colt?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yrmWcSH5j8U/WX6bjc3q7TI/AAAAAAAAo7k/UUGVBAs6ZUUOyXAF3UKCXbqIeeoJtczoACKgBGAs/s1600/P7289565.JPG

So, this is the A1 stock I sourced.  What a POS, lol!  The seller said it was from a Vietnam era rifle, and considering all the rust on it, I find that very possible.  Definitely a chargeable offence if seen during inspection.  

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZCqM1pHGYfA/WX6bjS0DTxI/AAAAAAAAo7k/Ghmfmhql1jI-95ZokTMImSTaIpGtCMFAACKgBGAs/s1600/P7289566.JPG

The plastic seems to have expanded and the rubber butt pad was cracked in some places, but more or less intact.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I29tBK0WWMU/WX6bjWhBYEI/AAAAAAAAo7k/UT4XH3I7Ib0IijyNFVBzBNJi_Z-_Ybq3wCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289567.JPG

Not sure what the spots are on the A1, probably mildew or some other sort of funky growth.  I've since hosed it down with some G96 so it's a bit darker, hiding the splotches, and it smells nice now.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pjR0TsOQrHs/WX6bjecNgYI/AAAAAAAAo7k/Ff5L53MZOKUVogHqLq5rGSiq5lFc3VT5wCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289568.JPG

The newer A2 stock on the left and the A1 on the right.  I have no idea how to tell if it's a real Colt butt stock as the seller claimed.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bnrwJoJ3wVk/WX6bjVKbPfI/AAAAAAAAo7k/pucCGBEdZMstSezWAuX2bNNnXBhzUEAvwCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289569.JPG

A comparison of the butt pad.  The A2 came with a trap door for an AR tool kit, and it seems to be in excellent working order.  The inside appears to be simple hard foam of some sort.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CvaQBIrg8ng/WX6bjdRseDI/AAAAAAAAo7k/eNzfVL6VUwcebEHnV9WkgQu4EojSA4MVACKgBGAs/s1600/P7289570.JPG

I don't think I have the skills to salvage this thing.  I gave it a squirt of G96 so instead of a bright red rust color, it's now a a dark red rust color.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gTkl1vmRPGM/WX6bjZNmmnI/AAAAAAAAo7k/zb5q6sKExIAAJxz0phLMHr0h8jjKue5VACKgBGAs/s1600/P7289571.JPG

I swear they dug this stock out from the bottom of some swamp somewhere in Southeast Asia.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-47QR9M6UAqI/WX6bjQI-obI/AAAAAAAAo7k/GC1OB470xg4SKHIca_VrZA7fZsOiol4zgCKgBGAs/s1600/P7289572.JPG

Comparison of the three fixed butt stocks I have now.  I'll probably end up using the A2 stock.  I really liked my PRS stock when it was on my PWS build, and though it makes total sense to use it, but my OCD is not giving me the nod of approval.  And though I've heard some people prefer the A1 because of the shorter length of pull, I'm not sure I want to use that swamp donkey of a stock.  I'll try to clean it up and see if I can get that thing to look a little better.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZkOZjZo6fyg/WX6bjZcEXqI/AAAAAAAAo7k/2N81M8QFozYl1UVpFdv7VGpyn5K0l6TrwCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300341.JPG

So I threw the A2 onto my LE6920 lower (from my Mk18 build) just to see what the assembled rifle would look like with a fixed stock. I found the length of pull acceptable actually, so I may not even need the A1 stock. Another consideration was eye relief of the scope. Since I'm running a non-clone correct scope, it may have different eye-relief than a clone correct scope. With the Patrol, I found it had very forgiving eye relief and I don't need my face right up to it to see.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aHgGsVu389g/WX6bjUkqFyI/AAAAAAAAo7k/ENQa5qiSSMI8OTHWqeVAciIfi8AqTF3-QCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300344.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0Vy1VyDSPaQ/WX6bjbZI5TI/AAAAAAAAo7k/x2eQILUCI7Ymdk0OLzM9oZzED782FQ8MwCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300347.JPG

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bkT-LQZU4Wk/WX6bjX8SGqI/AAAAAAAAo7k/tMswpyqekUIQMibkcDw98_Jsh4RAWnzZQCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300349.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VxK24fv7xoE/WX6bjeWzijI/AAAAAAAAo7k/U10anHTNQYEFx4cl2Fg3suds_4K--iDdQCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300350.JPG

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dohshb8xpeU/WX6bjSpvdNI/AAAAAAAAo7k/vSvFk1RZD5gkLctQL8CQiPAKevtddvhugCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300351.JPG

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LEvZPwsZy0w/WX6bjXoKMaI/AAAAAAAAo7k/e59J6p3NuGkBqL2UJWt9_Z5VCg9-hS1zACKgBGAs/s1600/P7300352.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4xwBFGZPtq8/WX6bjRo4m3I/AAAAAAAAo7k/aee5SawhZ2I5fi2HXgHpJSBrqgwh5vEZwCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300355.JPG

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LwJL-Uo76jc/WX6bjQMDWKI/AAAAAAAAo7k/Xs3ChG2qV34qZZi2qYeYscAckXSxZLU1QCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300357.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ckmt-0R94RM/WX6bjUP56_I/AAAAAAAAo7k/469pM2OEbc0E6GVM27SbhIglSffxWdRlgCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300359.JPG

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SSsYhYOMj7w/WX6bjSKoUbI/AAAAAAAAo7k/U-KvLAftpr0wOvaRy0oaqqqDsBOLPLGOACKgBGAs/s1600/P7300360.JPG

From the side, the rifle looks pretty long.  With the 20" barrel and the A2 stock, it actually is quite a bit longer than your typical Mk12 build.  This is probably painfully obvious to the seasoned clone builder, but to the uninformed, I think it probably doesn't look too bad.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-R9_Pv7zmx_8/WX6bjRn792I/AAAAAAAAo7k/t9qQ5SKHDi4dNNrV6Js84igc3eEVMq-YwCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300367.JPG

Pic with my other 20" AR.  

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u_pVm-o56rw/WX6bjX1Py4I/AAAAAAAAo7k/zKgRl29PBZQyrkQro8-rSBTXG3hmAZ6tQCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300372.JPG

I'm not calling this build done, but it's pretty damn close (for me), and I am very satisfied with how it looks compared to what I had previously.  There was nothing wrong with the PWS set up I had before, and it was a shooter, but I just wanted something that looked different.  I kept the barrel from it because it produced sub MOA groups, but the heart of a proper Mk12 clone is the 18" Douglas barrel, so I may get one eventually, or just be content that I have something close.
View Quote
As far as the rusty sling swivel goes, knock the roll pin out and soak it in white vinegar for a while. Might have to do some scrubbing though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#42]

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VxK24fv7xoE/WX6bjeWzijI/AAAAAAAAo7k/U10anHTNQYEFx4cl2Fg3suds_4K--iDdQCKgBGAs/s1600/P7300350.JPG

View Quote
That looks dynamite, what barrel is that?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:32:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#43]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
As far as the rusty sling swivel goes, knock the roll pin out and soak it in white vinegar for a while. Might have to do some scrubbing though.
View Quote
White vinegar?  Interesting, never thought of that.  Won't it eat awat at the metal?  I'm a little worried that there won't be much left under all that rust, lol!

Well. No harm in trying.  So, is the A1 stock clone correct?  Looks REALLY old, almost too old?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dtrice:

That looks dynamite, what barrel is that?
View Quote
The barrel is a Colt 20" HBAR, but it's not the right length or profile.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#45]

White vinegar?  Interesting, never thought of that.  Won't it eat awat at the metal?  I'm a little worries that there won't be much left under all that rust, lol!

Well. No harm in trying.  So, is the A1 stock clone correct?  Looks REALLY old, almost too old?
View Quote
It will probably leave you with a pitted surface, but it won't be rusty and shit. That thing looks like it's lived near the ocean it's whole life.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
It will probably leave you with a pitted surface, but it won't be rusty and shit. That thing looks like it's lived near the ocean it's whole life.
View Quote
For what it's worth, I left some nuts and washers that had been corroded with pool salt water in a small container of vinegar. For a year.  The rust was GONE. The layers of rust/washer were also GONE. Vinegar works pretty good and it the base still has mass and integrity, no pwoblum.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#47]

For what it's worth, I left some nuts and washers that had been corroded with pool salt water in a small container of vinegar. For a year.  The rust was GONE. The layers of rust/washer were also GONE. Vinegar works pretty good and it the base still has mass and integrity, no pwoblum.
View Quote
OK, definitely going to try it tonight.  I'd rather have pitted than rusty, and I don't think my thin film of G96 is going to do the trick.

Thanks for the tips guys :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#48]
So I know she's not quite clone correct, but here is my "mk12"
It's a BCM natural upper w/o PEQ rail, 600m rear sight, and 1.5 mount, on an Anderson (spare me) lower with PSA parts kit and LaRue MBT 2S trigger. I have a vortex viper PS-T 6-24x50 ebr-1 scope on the way, so all that's left is to get some mk262 and throw some rounds down range (and get an AEM5)! I keep going back and forth between the "natural" look on the FF tube and the barrel, but I think I like it as it is...for now..

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Question, DSGArms has the AE brake and collar in stock. Below is a photo, is that a short or long collar?

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#50]
That looks like the short one.
Page / 1196
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top