User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 23
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By msgriff:

Mundane question, Vortex is a 3 rail slot mount and PA is 4 slot?
View Quote
Screw to screw yes you've got it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Yes I have a gen 3 monocular what would you like me to do?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Currahee:
Do you have NODs?

Let us know if it has NV settings, if it could be used passive with NODs
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes
Do you have NODs?

Would also like to know how it compares to the other prisms under NODs as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine should be here today, I didn't even know it shipped as the notification went to my spam box.  Which is odd as all their ads come to my inbox, oh well will take it.    

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reviews fellas.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Do you have NODs?

I'll try tonight if I don't get too drunk to handle expensive things after work
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:03:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenMushroom] [#7]
Has 3 night vision settings. Glass is serviceable. Eyebox seems good. Daytime illumination isn't quite aimpoint bright but definitely more than "daylight visible". Fit and finish is nice and form factor is excellent. Overall my initial impression is it's an excellent value for the price.

Eta seems to work well with my clip-on. Doesn't feel much different weight and balance wise than a lpvo setup.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:37:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyAR] [#8]
It finally showed up, gotta say I like it.   Initial thoughts are which mount options works best, and it is nice to have the different ones to choose from.     Eye relief could be better, but at 3x I can live with it.  

I mounted it on two different setups, first one is the M4.  The FSB is ghosting a bit and kinda throwing me off when looking through it, no problem living with it just not use to it.  I may order a carry handle and mount it to that and see how it is.    2nd gun is a BCM upper and it is perfect.     I have it set back all the way on the rail, I don't think a rear sight would work for me as I am not a nose to the charging hndl type guy and I can't see cantilevering back that far.    

Back to the eye relief, if not just right I get a weird flat shadow on the left side when looking though it, once I move closer it goes away.    That said it doesn't really bother me, it's just there if you are too far back, and obviously the FOV drops.   Even so, if I moved it forward and used it like that it would still work fine.      

Overall I give it a thumbs up and can't wait to get it out to the range.    Right now the GLx2 is going on the M4 set up and the Micro 3 is going on the BCM.   Which I would grab first not sure, probably the BCM set up...

Toughness and SHTF role, not sure.   The optic itself is built really well, mounting wise I really do not like canted mounts, but again built really well.    Chucking it down the gravel driveway a few times might take it's toll but I am not going to do that.    

Reticle is for me bright enough for me in the PNW, at almost 60 I can see the hold overs better than the GLx2 which is nice.  Both I can live with.   Glass is great and the controls/knobs are very tight not loose at all.  

Anyhoo thanks to PA for getting these out well before the April date!   I look forward to using this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everybodygotone] [#9]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
It finally showed up, gotta say I like it.   Initial thoughts are which mount options works best, and it is nice to have the different ones to choose from.     Eye relief could be better, but at 3x I can live with it.  

I mounted it on two different setups, first one is the M4.  The FSB is ghosting a bit and kinda throwing me off when looking through it, no problem living with it just not use to it.  I may order a carry handle and mount it to that and see how it is.    2nd gun is a BCM upper and it is perfect.     I have it set back all the way on the rail, I don't think a rear sight would work for me as I am not a nose to the charging hndl type guy and I can't see cantilevering back that far.    

Back to the eye relief, if not just right I get a weird flat shadow on the left side when looking though it, once I move closer it goes away.    That said it doesn't really bother me, it's just there if you are too far back, and obviously the FOV drops.   Even so, if I moved it forward and used it like that it would still work fine.      

Overall I give it a thumbs up and can't wait to get it out to the range.    Right now the GLx2 is going on the M4 set up and the Micro 3 is going on the BCM.   Which I would grab first not sure, probably the BCM set up...

Toughness and SHTF role, not sure.   The optic itself is built really well, mounting wise I really do not like canted mounts, but again built really well.    Chucking it down the gravel driveway a few times might take it's toll but I am not going to do that.    

Reticle is for me bright enough for me in the PNW, at almost 60 I can see the hold overs better than the GLx2 which is nice.  Both I can live with.   Glass is great and the controls/knobs are very tight not loose at all.  

Anyhoo thanks to PA for getting these out well before the April date!   I look forward to using this.
View Quote

I appreciate the honest criticism. I'm on the fence. The SLX1X micro was cool, but not an improvement over a red dot for me. I have the GLX2X and like it, but it's not enough magnification to ghost front sights, IR, etc so they're oddly distracting. Had hoped this new 3X might be enough magnification to make them disappear.

I don't like shooting NTCH or the cantilever mounting either. Have both MI and ADM QD mounts I would use, but doesn't sound like a good match for those given short eye relief. Disappointing, since the eye relief on the 1X micro is fantastic. I think these look sweet on carry handles but personally I wouldn't bolt one onto a flat top for that. Prefer lower 1/3 when possible. Can't decide. Probably just keep the 2X. Bindon aiming works well on that for me.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
Has 3 night vision settings. Glass is serviceable. Eyebox seems good. Daytime illumination isn't quite aimpoint bright but definitely more than "daylight visible". Fit and finish is nice and form factor is excellent. Overall my initial impression is it's an excellent value for the price.

Eta seems to work well with my clip-on. Doesn't feel much different weight and balance wise than a lpvo setup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20220311_145147-2309941.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20220311_145644-2309942.jpg
View Quote

Excellent pics.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Everybodygotone:

I appreciate the honest criticism. I'm on the fence. The SLX1X micro was cool, but not an improvement over a red dot for me. I have the GLX2X and like it, but it's not enough magnification to ghost front sights, IR, etc so they're oddly distracting. Had hoped this new 3X might be enough magnification to make them disappear.

I don't like shooting NTCH or the cantilever mounting either. Have both MI and ADM QD mounts I would use, but doesn't sound like a good match for those given short eye relief. Disappointing, since the eye relief on the 1X micro is fantastic. I think these look sweet on carry handles but personally I wouldn't bolt one onto a flat top for that. Prefer lower 1/3 when possible. Can't decide. Probably just keep the 2X. Bindon aiming works well on that for me.

Thanks again.
View All Quotes

Thanks again.

Yeah I need to get it out of the garage and see how it looks/works in a real life setting.   I still think I like the GLx2 on the M4 better.   All just initial thoughts and the jury is still out,  so will see.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Some after dark pics. Didn't range it but probably 75yds on base mag. Have to say at least for my uses it's a pretty handy little package.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Following up on some prior request to compare it to the glx 2x like eye relief and reticle size etc.

Would like to see the comparison too. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got in from trying to passive aim with NV.  I don't know a lot about passive aiming as a topic.  Is the expectation that you'll have a nice focus on the entire sight picture through the monocular?  Because I couldn't find a focus combination that would do that.  I could make the reticle perfect and then the picture would kind of deteriorate radially from center.  Setting 1 didn't even pick up in my monocular, but 2 and 3 were very useable.  4 started to bloom.  On 3, it was just a nice clean white reticle.

I don't know that I would buy this specifically for that purpose but if the question is just "can I do it if I need to" the answer to that seems to be yes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
I'm pretty sure that flat shadow is the battery compartment.  That showed up for me at the range today and now I'd give the Spitfire the nod for optics.  Once you get used to it it's not a big deal but if your head isn't quite right or you're shooting from a compromised position, it's annoying.  Still not terrible.

But I still had no problem with the front sight on my SIG.  It just disappears regardless of my cheek weld/head position.  Maybe it's not as tall as an AR FSB relative to scope height.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
ditto
View Quote

I have one and really like it... The eye relief and eye box are both generous.  I think the reticle is very good.  Its simple and fast and a good overall size for a 3x reticle.  I don't remember the exact weight number on it but I've never felt like it was noticeably heavy.  For the money I think it is a very nice optic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty sure that flat shadow is the battery compartment.  That showed up for me at the range today and now I'd give the Spitfire the nod for optics.  Once you get used to it it's not a big deal but if your head isn't quite right or you're shooting from a compromised position, it's annoying.  Still not terrible.

But I still had no problem with the front sight on my SIG.  It just disappears regardless of my cheek weld/head position.  Maybe it's not as tall as an AR FSB relative to scope height.
View Quote

Thanks for all of your great feedback.

Barrels, front sights, lights, lasers, hands, etc tend to ghost at 3X and up. That's what I wanted to hear.

Not excited about the reports on eye relief / eye box, but 3X flip to side magnifiers have limited eye relief / eye box and that kind set up is bulkier and heavier.

The GLX2X still works good in close quarters for me. Wondering  how it is with this 3X. Wish it had flip caps because then it could be used with occluded aiming up close.  

Decided to buy/try one and sell it if I don't like it. The weight and size is attractive. Will give my very unprofessional impression and comparison when it comes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
You shouldn't have any trouble selling it.

I think this is the perfect optic for an Appleseed rifle.  I'd like another one to set up like that.  Or maybe that's what I'll do with my now homeless Spitfire.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:17:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Moses06] [#19]
Loving mine. Can't wait to get out and use it.
Eye box is fine. Quite good imo. Relief could be better but I have no problems with it. Thrilled to finally have a good affordable acog alternative.

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I just got in from trying to passive aim with NV.  I don't know a lot about passive aiming as a topic.  Is the expectation that you'll have a nice focus on the entire sight picture through the monocular?  Because I couldn't find a focus combination that would do that.  I could make the reticle perfect and then the picture would kind of deteriorate radially from center.  Setting 1 didn't even pick up in my monocular, but 2 and 3 were very useable.  4 started to bloom.  On 3, it was just a nice clean white reticle.

I don't know that I would buy this specifically for that purpose but if the question is just "can I do it if I need to" the answer to that seems to be yes.
View Quote
Thanks for taking the time to check.

This is a good data point.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Moses06:
Loving mine. Can't wait to get out and use it.
Eye box is fine. Quite good imo. Relief could be better but I have no problems with it. Thrilled to finally have a good affordable acog alternative.

https://i.imgur.com/80fRgre.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/TNHWr9s.jpeg
View Quote

Rifle looks good!  Curious what back up sights are those?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Rifle looks good!  Curious what back up sights are those?
View Quote

Thanks! Mbus pros. Nice and small. Waiting for the gen 3 polymer ones for the rest of my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 4:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#23]
Anyone receive one of these yet that can compare to the glass quality of a Burris RT-6 or Steiner P4Xi? I'm considering ditching one of those for this as I just build a higher magnification recce/spr rifle. Want to change up and lighten my 13.7" rifle and this looks promising.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
Anyone receive one of these yet that can compare to the glass quality of a Burris RT-6 or Steiner P4Xi? I'm considering ditching one of those for this as I just build a higher magnification recce/spr rifle. Want to change up and lighten my 13.7" rifle and this looks promising.
View Quote

Apples to oranges, but in my opinion the glass is pretty darn good. Not sure it is Steiner good, but it is good.  Like I said apples to oranges.    Mine and the GLx2 are both on 14.5 rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#25]
 Apples to oranges, but in my opinion the glass is pretty darn good. Not sure it is Steiner good, but it is good.  Like I said apples to oranges.    Mine and the GLx2 are both on 14.5 rifles.
View Quote

I see where you are coming from, but edge to edge, etc, should still be comparable. Or even setting the other 2 on 3x and comparing. The Steiner is nice, but it's nowhere near as wow going from the RT-6 to it as I expected. It's nice, and the dot is bright, but it isn't incredible like the first time I looked through an ACOG.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Better pic. Really enjoying this thing. I have a Gen 2 PST 1-6 that I also very much enjoy. Different animals for sure, but I don't see a major difference in clarity.

( Full Size )
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#27]
After playing around with some different combinations I think I found a home for it. With a little modification I was able to get it further back and weight/balance is really nice compared to a traditional scope setup.

I'd say the pst2 glass mentioned above is a good comparison. Definitely functional but doesn't quite pop like an acog or razor. Gets the job done for it's intended purpose and I'd give it a thumbs up for the price point.

Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Butler creek 07 works decent on the eyepiece. Doesn't lay very flat so unless you want it in your line of sight it needs to flip down which can interfere with the charging handle. At some point I'll figure out the size for an aadmount which will lay flat on top and has a clamp screw.

Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Butler creek 07 works decent on the eyepiece. Doesn't lay very flat so unless you want it in your line of sight it needs to flip down which can interfere with the charging handle. At some point I'll figure out the size for an aadmount which will lay flat on top and has a clamp screw.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20220318_090145-2317615.jpg
View Quote

With an ARD installed you could probably cap the front as well. Not sure how that would impact FOV in regard to the optic housing ghosting vs the tube effect. Whish they'd design stuff with removeable caps included. I don't like them on everything, but it's nice to have the choice vs having to jerry-rig.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x-microprism-anti-reflection-device
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#30]

With an ARD installed you could probably cap the front as well. Not sure how that would impact FOV in regard to the optic housing ghosting vs the tube effect. Whish they'd design stuff with removeable caps included. I don't like them on everything, but it's nice to have the choice vs having to jerry-rig.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x-microprism-anti-reflection-device
View Quote

Thanks. Wonder to what extent it effects the fov and image quality. Think I'll give one a try.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everybodygotone] [#31]

Thanks. Wonder to what extent it effects the fov and image quality. Think I'll give one a try.
View Quote

I ordered one with the optic just to keep finger prints off the glass. I'll post when it all get's here. A couple reviewers using an ARD on the 1X version said they tend to walk loose when shooting unless you use a small amount of thread locker. I'll probably try it first to make sure I want it on there.

Thanks for you pics and feedback.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:42:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#32]
Pre ordered the 7.62x39 version on the 20th. Eta was april.

They shipped it today.

How dare you, I dont even have my Zastava yet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#33]
After playing around with some different combinations I think I found a home for it. With a little modification I was able to get it further back and weight/balance is really nice compared to a traditional scope setup.

I'd say the pst2 glass mentioned above is a good comparison. Definitely functional but doesn't quite pop like an acog or razor. Gets the job done for it's intended purpose and I'd give it a thumbs up for the price point.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20220318_073637-2317562.jpg
View Quote

Is that a pulsar riding in front of it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ttusqrl:

Is that a pulsar riding in front of it?
View Quote

Bering Yoter-C
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I see it as available for pre-order on their site. Based on some of the comments here...what are the chances of this thing shipping in the next 2 weeks?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MARSH1:

7.62/300BO version is shipping now!!  5.56 is not far out but because time to clear customs varies I can't say for sure within two weeks  

3X MP for 7.62/300BO
View Quote
Thanks Marsh! I'm excited!
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]

7.62/300BO version is shipping now!!  5.56 is not far out but because time to clear customs varies I can't say for sure within two weeks  

3X MP for 7.62/300BO
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boerseun:
I see it as available for pre-order on their site. Based on some of the comments here...what are the chances of this thing shipping in the next 2 weeks?

3X MP for 7.62/300BO

I haven't had a chance to mount this up yet but looking through it thank God the Chevron isn't very tiny and I could actually use it. I think I'm going to buy one for the 556 this is awesome.

I had some reservations because the one and two power Chevron was kind of small and my eyes would do this screwed up thing where the Chevron would focus and turn into a DOT no matter how I adjusted it.

So I mean by with confidence especially if you have that issue or you have eye problems like I have keratoconus and this is a really good optic for that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Can anyone explain the need for the cantilevered mount?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#40]
Originally Posted By Ct1:
View Quote

The eye relief is 2.7 inches. Depending on your preferred cheek weld it might be necessary to adjust the position of the scope farther back than the picatinny rail will allow.
For scopes with longer eye relief it's sometimes necessary to push the scope farther forwarde to achieve the correct position relative to the shooters eye.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ct1:
View Quote

They give you a straight mount option as well it's just good they include so many mounting options for the price
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#42]
BTW, my one only complaint is that it looks terrible on a full size AR rifle. Unless it's on a carry handle.

Function over form though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyAR] [#43]
   Anyone sight one of these in yet?  Jeez I was shooting paper at 60 or so yards on my property and it was way off left and low.  Not sure I have ever encountered any LPVO or red dot off that much out of the box.  Dialed it in best I could with the time I had and pretty sure everything mount wise is tight but will check again.  Need to get to a range where I can verify the actual range, and well hell my shooting.  But just found it surprising it was off that much.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#44]
That is why they have turrets. Adjust to your gun. Take ten guns and ten optics, all will hit in different spots until you zero it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyAR] [#45]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
That is why they have turrets. Adjust to your gun. Take ten guns and ten optics, all will hit in different spots until you zero it.
View Quote

Really?  If only I had known that sooner.   I know how to sight a gun in, my comment was in relation to how far it was off from even close to hitting the target compared to every other hunting scope, LPVO or red dot I have sighted in the last 40 years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#46]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20220318_073637-2317562.jpg
View Quote

What nvg is that?

And how does this compare the the vortex 3x gen 2?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dayphotog:

What nvg is that?

And how does this compare the the vortex 3x gen 2?
View Quote

YoterC thermal. Didn't get to handle a vortex version but reviews said the reticle on the 3x was tiny and the 5x was better. I handled the buris 3x and I while i didn't get to do a side by side I'd say the glass was a smidge better than the PA put the PA has it beat in every other way while being cheaper and the glass is good enough.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
BTW, my one only complaint is that it looks terrible on a full size AR rifle. Unless it's on a carry handle.

Function over form though.
View Quote

IMO the cantilever looks weird but it seems to work. I'm thinking I'll put mine on an ADM or MI mount as far back as it will go and either moving the rear buis forward or ditch the buis all together.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#49]

IMO the cantilever looks weird but it seems to work. I'm thinking I'll put mine on an ADM or MI mount as far back as it will go and either moving the rear buis forward or ditch the buis all together.
View Quote

Some consider it taboo but I’ve never had a problem running irons forward on the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

Some consider it taboo but I’ve never had a problem running irons forward on the receiver.
View Quote

I'm down with whatever works, I'd hit it if I had to. But I'd probably do offset mbus pro so I wouldn't inadvertently activate the rear

On that note, i'll be running offset something with the 1x and 3x PAs .. either mrds or irons.. These optics are everything they advertised
Page / 23
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top