User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 23
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

Some consider it taboo but I’ve never had a problem running irons forward on the receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Everybodygotone:

IMO the cantilever looks weird but it seems to work. I'm thinking I'll put mine on an ADM or MI mount as far back as it will go and either moving the rear buis forward or ditch the buis all together.

Some consider it taboo but I’ve never had a problem running irons forward on the receiver.

Attachment Attached File

If it works it works.

Mines going on an AK

Not sure if I want to go as low as possible. Or if I want to use the carry handle spacer so I can still user irons and the scope without removing the qd mount. Depends on the cheek weld I guess.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes

IMO the cantilever looks weird but it seems to work. I'm thinking I'll put mine on an ADM or MI mount as far back as it will go and either moving the rear buis forward or ditch the buis all together.

Could always use 45^ angled irons. I've used them before. It's not bad.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]

You would think after all these years they could come up with a better logo than some Windows 95 font BS for their Chicom made stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

You would think after all these years they could come up with a better logo than some Windows 95 font BS for their Chicom made stuff.
View All Quotes

The newer advanced micro has black subdued text at least
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

They have a new logo and are phasing out the old one.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I put it on my 357 lever gun and it looks great.  Got lucky and didn't have to adjust a single thing out of the box for POI at 50 yds with a 38spl sub, but will need to retest and adjust with my +P 38/357 ammo.

The one complaint I have, and it probably only applies to me on a lever with more drop than an AR, is the eyebox is about .25" further forward than I'd like in the last rail slot.  I can't use the cantilever mount because it brings the height up too high and don't want to put an adjustable comb on it at the moment.  Would be nice if they had a straight back modular piece included to pull the mount back a little.

Other than that one nitpick I'm pretty darn happy
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Got mine in yesterday from akou, great place to buy from by the way, and am very happy with it.
The glass seems better than my slx 1-6, and the thing seems solid, was particularly impressed with how they went with helicoils instead of just threading straight into the aluminum.

*a helicoil is a steel coil used as threads, say for example you stripped out something aluminum, you'd drill out the hole to the next appropriate size up, thread it with the tap helicoil provides, and then screw in the coil which will serve as your new threads. They give a significantly stronger interface for a given bolt diameter than you'd get from threading into aluminum alone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cr445671:
Got mine in yesterday from akou, great place to buy from by the way, and am very happy with it.
The glass seems better than my slx 1-6, and the thing seems solid, was particularly impressed with how they went with helicoils instead of just threading straight into the aluminum.

*a helicoil is a steel coil used as threads, say for example you stripped out something aluminum, you'd drill out the hole to the next appropriate size up, thread it with the tap helicoil provides, and then screw in the coil which will serve as your new threads. They give a significantly stronger interface for a given bolt diameter than you'd get from threading into aluminum alone.
View Quote

The part in bold is good to hear. The SLX 1-6 has some of the worst glass in an LPVO I’ve seen and my old style 3X and 5X prisms bested it quite a bit. Never even questioned if it was the same with these.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I got to shoot mine at 300 yards yesterday. The reticle is very precise at 300 compared to the one x.  I liked it a lot

way better eye relief / eye box than a 4x acog. Better FOV than a ta33. Glass is pretty darn good. But I didn’t stay till dust to see how it did in low light.

The adjustable diopter is very welcome.  Illum is Bright enough for the massive doughnut.

I hope to run it a little in cqb drills and transitions today. I have always felt hindered by magnification close in with my acogs. We will see.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
I got to shoot mine at 300 yards yesterday. The reticle is very precise at 300 compared to the one x.  I liked it a lot

way better eye relief / eye box than a 4x acog. Better FOV than a ta33. Glass is pretty darn good. But I didn’t stay till dust to see how it did in low light.

The adjustable diopter is very welcome.  Illum is Bright enough for the massive doughnut.

I hope to run it a little in cqb drills and transitions today. I have always felt hindered by magnification close in with my acogs. We will see.
View Quote

It's really quite nice for the price point. I'm not sure I want to run as a primary optic cause Chinesium. I think a LOW made version with razor quality glass, off positions between power settings and a provision for a top mount rmr at <1k would sell well and I would be in for at least 1.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
How long did you guys have to wait from ordering to delivery?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#12]
How long did you guys have to wait from ordering to delivery?
View Quote

I ordered one directly from PA on February 24th, still nada. I guess they get them in batches of 3 or 4 at a time.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#13]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

I ordered one directly from PA on February 24th, still nada. I guess the get them in batches of 3 or 4 at a time.

View Quote

Ouch. Pretty sure I saw someone say they got theirs in less than two weeks fairly recently.

ETA: Nevermind. They ordered from AKOU that has the commie version in stock.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Ouch. Pretty sure I saw someone say they got theirs in less than two weeks fairly recently.

ETA: Nevermind. They ordered from AKOU that has the commie version in stock.
View Quote

Commie version?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#15]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

Commie version?
View Quote

Calibrated for 7.62x39/300BLK.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Calibrated for 7.62x39/300BLK.
View Quote

Doh, that makes sense.  I ordered mine on the first pre-buy they ran, and had it by the end of March vs April.  A bit over 2 weeks I think.   556 reticle from PA.     Albeit I sold it already after all the hype and wait.      

I really liked it, but I like the GLX2 Prism better for my needs.  I may go with the 1x or dare I say if they come out with the 2X micro which they probably will I would buy it to try.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:03:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Kind of want to replace my 1x with another one of these 3x's, I like it so much.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#18]

way better eye relief / eye box than a 4x acog. Better FOV than a ta33. Glass is pretty darn good. But I didn't stay till dust to see how it did in low light.

View Quote
How were the CQB drills compared to ACOG?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]

I ordered one directly from PA on February 24th, still nada. I guess they get them in batches of 3 or 4 at a time.

View Quote

Well that means mine won't be coming soon. Hmmm, might cancel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Well that means mine won't be coming soon. Hmmm, might cancel.
View Quote

It still says fulfilling in April on their website. I’m hoping that means they’re getting a decent sized shipment and the April fulfillment is still accurate.

@PrimaryArms
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Currahee:

way better eye relief / eye box than a 4x acog. Better FOV than a ta33. Glass is pretty darn good. But I didn't stay till dust to see how it did in low light.

I didn’t get to do as much as I’d have liked. But my initial impression is that a 3x is a 3x.  All the same old problems still apply.  

The reticle is huge and I think that helps but I need to play with it more.

It isn’t magic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:29:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#22]
They turned off back orders for the 5.56. Not sure if that’s a good or a bad sign. I asked if they had any updates in their industry forum but it’s the only topic they haven’t responded to.

ETA: Their social media is all quiet about it too, despite tons of “when” posts. They’re usually not this tight lipped about stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Demand is exceeding supply it seems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Dumb question.

Why are the mounting screws M5 instead of 10-32?

I bet you guys might have a few people hossing down a 10-32 screw into the M5 helicoil not knowing any better until its too late

The m5 threads in a bit before it stops, but to the ignorant they might just torque it down. Also most after market mounts come with 10-32 screws.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are local there are a few open box or blemished 3x micros on the table in front of checkout at Primary Arms. I guess I should have bought them up and put them on EE for y'all :)
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:12:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#26]
I heard from them today and they said another few weeks, so April delivery must be delayed.

I’m debating canceling mine and just getting a 2X but I’m really trying to keep the weight down on this build so I’m unsure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I heard from them today and they said another few weeks, so April delivery must be delayed.

I’m debating canceling mine and just getting a 2X but I’m really trying to keep the weight down on this build so I’m unsure.
View Quote

Unless you're in a hurry I'd wait for it. The size and weight is really impressive. Feels more like a t2 than an acog on the rifle. With the illumination/usable reticle, adjustable diopter, and fov in such a small package there isn't really anything else comparable right now. Hopefully it's the 1st in its class and they will have higher end models down the road. I think a Japanese made version with better glass, off settings between illumination settings, and a provision for a top mount rmr would find a market in the 6-800$ range.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#28]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

Unless you're in a hurry I'd wait for it. The size and weight is really impressive. Feels more like a t2 than an acog on the rifle. With the illumination/usable reticle, adjustable diopter, and fov in such a small package there isn't really anything else comparable right now. Hopefully it's the 1st in its class and they will have higher end models down the road. I think a Japanese made version with better glass, off settings between illumination settings, and a provision for a top mount rmr would find a market in the 6-800$ range.
View Quote

I agree with the higher end models. PA has a real opportunity here to own the prism market if they are smart about it.

As to the delay's, I think China is a big, hot mess right now and no doubt affecting the continuous delays. I would hope that this will continue to fuel PA to look outside of China for manufacturing. Continuous delays, no inventory and missed deadlines are going to cripple their operations if it continues.

I'll continue to wait, it's been delayed months, what's a few more weeks?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#29]

I agree with the higher end models. PA has a real opportunity here to own the prism market if they are smart about it.

As to the delay's, I think China is a big, hot mess right now and no doubt affecting the continuous delays. I would hope that this will continue to fuel PA to look outside of China for manufacturing. Continuous delays, no inventory and missed deadlines are going to cripple their operations if it continues.

I'll continue to wait, it's been delayed months, what's a few more weeks?
View Quote

My impatience is all surrounding my 716i.

The PA is replacing my Leupold on my M4’gery, with the Leupold being moved back to the Sig.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
Dumb question.

I bet you guys might have a few people hossing down a 10-32 screw into the M5 helicoil not knowing any better until its too late

The M5 threads in a bit before it stops, but to the ignorant they might just torque it down. Also most after market mounts come with 10-32 screws.
View Quote

The manual for the 3x microprism says the screws are 10-32, are you saying they're M5?  I have a few of the 1x version and they're definitely using 10-32 screws (like Acogs).  I figured the 3x would be the same.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#31]
Originally Posted By MonolithicRP:

The manual for the 3x microprism says the screws are 10-32, are you saying they're M5?  I have a few of the 1x version and they're definitely using 10-32 screws (like Acogs).  I figured the 3x would be the same.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MonolithicRP:
Dumb question.

The M5 threads in a bit before it stops, but to the ignorant they might just torque it down. Also most after market mounts come with 10-32 screws.

Using one of the spacers I don't care about:

The 10-32 won't thread in at all.
The M5 threads in but it is tight. No damage.
Factory screws thread in nice and easy.

Another easy test.

Magpul BUIS Screws are 10-32.
So i took the nut from one of these.
The factory screws won't thread into a 10-32 nut.
Factory Screws thread into an M5 nut but feel a tad looser than the Mcmaster Carr M5 screws I have on hand.

These have to be metric.

I just need some concave head screws that will work with this.
Seriously weird. Honestly ran into the same issue with the Fullsize 3x.

(10-32 Screws are from multiple sources)
10-32 screws from rs regulate and ak master mount don't thread in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I canceled mine. Had a too good to pass up deal come up on an optic for my 308 so I’m leaving my LPVO on my M4’gery for now. I’ll probably get one some day when the supply stabilizes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#33]
man i hope they come back in stock or preorder soon,  I have been going back and forth on these and finally decided i want one,  and cant order it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MARSH1:

A shipment is in house going through QC so some pre orders will ship this week. We have another shipment arriving in Just and will get pre-orders back up today
View Quote

Was that June or July? Guessing you meant July but wanted to confirm.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#37]
@Marsh1

Is threadlocker fine on these? Also noticed different screws were rather tight threading in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#38]
When mounted to a carry handle can you still use irons? I don't see a channel like an ACOG would have
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By cj3waker:
When mounted to a carry handle can you still use irons? I don't see a channel like an ACOG would have
View Quote

One of the included risers has a channel for this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cj3waker] [#40]

View Quote

Sweet. Anyone that have one wanna take a pic?

Just curious about the height with riser vs say an acog on a carry handle
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Optic sits lower than an Acog with no riser.

Optics + Riser is about an Acog's height.

I was debating on using the riser with a channel on an AK so that I could use both irons and the optic. Im not sure if I prefer that height though lol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Orded 2/26, got the pre-shipment confirmation this morning FWIW
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By T22:
Orded 2/26, got the pre-shipment confirmation this morning FWIW
View Quote

Same here. It's overdue but the timing is good, I just finished the build it's going on and I am just recently back on my feet from a broken ankle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#44]
For those that have it already, how is it up close with both eyes open. Or even one eye. Just up close in general with or without illumination.

I can both eyes open a 3x mag and red dot, so if it's similar....

I've been bouncing  between this and the upcoming glx 1-6 for a good minute. And with pre-orders back up I'm stuck in a loop again.

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zaitsev9130] [#45]
I ordered one yesterday,  website says it will ship in june.

Yesterday I went to cabelas and looked through the vortex spitfire gen 2 3x ( and 5x) and the burris rt-3.

I liked the rt-3 best, but still the reticle was kinda small,  the votrex reticle was really small in the 3x.  the 5x reticel was perfect but,  I honestly didnt see much difference in the magnification and it had a tighter eye box and smaller fov so i ruled out the 5x pretty quick.

the burris was really nice and i was temtped to just get one they had in stock.. but i decided to hold off and after looking at some more stuff online decided to go with the primary arms. hope i dont regret it!

I want something that has better visibility out to 2-300 yards than the 1x micro prism on my 10.5", But i dont want the weight and size of a lpvo on my lightweight 16" gunner.  so this has me really looking for something like one of these micro prisms.

Honestly if someone could make a 1-4x lpvo that is like around 10-12 ounces,  and 6-7" that would be perfect! ( looking at you PA)

the leupold vx 1.5-4x20 is close to what im looking for,  but its still pretty long ( i want somthing shorter than the upper) and still not even 1x..

but until then i think one of the micro prisms at about 3x is what i want.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I picked up an extra swfa 1-4 when they had their sale on them at $240. It is pretty close to that weighing 14 ozs. They are pretty tough and reticle can be used for drop compensation. Just don't like how much the eye relief changes as you move through the power range. Plenty bright illumination
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:32:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#48]

If you are comfortable with the 3X magnifier you will be fine with teh prism. It is easier to get behind than a red dot with magnifier.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
For those that have it already, how is it up close with both eyes open. Or even one eye. Just up close in general with or without illumination.

I can both eyes open a 3x mag and red dot, so if it's similar....

I've been bouncing  between this and the upcoming glx 1-6 for a good minute. And with pre-orders back up I'm stuck in a loop again.

If you are comfortable with the 3X magnifier you will be fine with teh prism. It is easier to get behind than a red dot with magnifier.

Awesome. Looks I'm going for this over the glx 1-6 then.

It will shave weight off my bloated light weight 14.5 build. Take it from a little over 8 pounds with an lpvo to around 6.5 with optic light and irons

It will also free up room for my support hand. The Viper it currently wears covers a lot of space over the 10.5 inch rail.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Heads up, AKOU shows these in stock (the 5.56 version). I ordered one last night and got a shipping notice this morning.

One question, does it come with all the necessary hardware to mount onto a carry handle? I know it has a mount, but I saw an additional hardware add-on on PA's site. I have a rifle I want to try this on with that configuration.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Kenzie's optics also had the 556 in stock
Page / 23
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top