BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
So correct me if I’m wrong but the department doesn’t own these they are technically loaned to the agency?

What’s the rules if/when the .gov wants them back or you return them? Can you just send the lower?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: familyman357] [#2]
They’re supposed to be returned in the same configuration. Maybe if some components get damaged and replaced it isn’t a big deal, but I doubt that stripping them to the receiver will be looked upon kindly.  I would imagine that at the very least the department would be banned from the 1033 Program.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By snaggletooth1925:
So correct me if I'm wrong but the department doesn't own these they are technically loaned to the agency?

What's the rules if/when the .gov wants them back or you return them? Can you just send the lower?
View Quote
Technically they remain DoD/DLA property.
The whole weapon must be returned.

Realistically, they never ask for them back. Agencies end up returning them if they don't want/need them anymore (usually to avoid the annual inventory paperwork).
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By snaggletooth1925:
So correct me if I’m wrong but the department doesn’t own these they are technically loaned to the agency?

What’s the rules if/when the .gov wants them back or you return them? Can you just send the lower?
View Quote
A bunch of us ran into this issue with 1911s some years back.

It seems a small, local college had received a bunch of GI 1911s for their security guards many, many years ago through .Gov. The guards finally complained that they wanted something modern that wasn't so heavy (.) The college traded them into a LGS for some striker guns.

So far so good. LGS put the 1911s on sale and I picked up a nice Remington Rand. The guns were in various conditions, including one that had the finish completely ground off.

About two month later I got a call from the LGS. .Gov wanted their guns back. I'm not sure how .Gov found out, but they maintained in no uncertain terms that the guns were still government property and the college had no right to dispose of them.

Never knew what happened to all the returned guns but I hope they weren't scrapped.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Strela:

A bunch of us ran into this issue with 1911s some years back.

It seems a small, local college had received a bunch of GI 1911s for their security guards many, many years ago through .Gov. The guards finally complained that they wanted something modern that wasn't so heavy (.) The college traded them into a LGS for some striker guns.

So far so good. LGS put the 1911s on sale and I picked up a nice Remington Rand. The guns were in various conditions, including one that had the finish completely ground off.

About two month later I got a call from the LGS. .Gov wanted their guns back. I'm not sure how .Gov found out, but they maintained in no uncertain terms that the guns were still government property and the college had no right to dispose of them.

Never knew what happened to all the returned guns but I hope they weren't scrapped.
View Quote
Didn't you hear?  CMP sold them off to flippers ;)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top