BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the part that makes me cringe. There is NO REASON the stock attachment point needs to be so much lower than the top of the rail. I’m hoping someone will get rid of the need for a square to round adapter on the back of the upper which is there to meet up to the buffer tube. I understand needing this so you can use a standard AR lower but if someone would just make a lower that is squared off and flat in the back we would have a regular folder that matches up with the top of the upper receiver. We could keep all the things we like with the AR pattern lower and get rid of the one obvious thing that we don’t need Instead of having to use adapters to get around it.
I won’t be buying a BRN 180 upper until someone makes a lower that gets away from the AR15 buffer tube. I’m crossing my fingers hoping someone does because it would be such a cool platform.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There are others out there but here are some that would be way better than just another AR stock on an empty round tube

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Exactly what I’m trying to get away from. Why start with a round end meant for a buffer tube which is not needed which then forces you to buy an adapter to plug the round receiver extension. You end up with a very obvious adapter that looks like an afterthought and a stock that is way lower than it needs to be so it can clear the charging handle which you don’t have. One of the best things about this upper is that it doesn’t need a buffer tube. Why start off with a receiver made for a tube you won’t need forcing a workaround solution when you can have a lower that starts off ready for a folder?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone wants something with really low demand, quickly, cheap, and of the highest quality or they'll complain on arfcom about it!

Look at the OP of this thread, he's doing for himself and he's doing like a bauce.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see what you are saying. But nobody is going to make that in any quantity because it will only fit 1-3 applications.

This upper, a dedicated 22lr, and maybe that Rock River or ZM Weapons upper.

Also, the buffer on the BRN-180 needs a round hole to nest in. The easiest way to get that machined is from the back.

What you want is a custom one-off with a built in hinge.
View Quote
Maybe he can sweet talk the OP into doing a one off for him.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I doubt it would be a one off. There are plenty of people that don’t want another piston rifle with an AR stock. The market is full of those. This one has a chance to be different but I understand wanting to just stick to the safe bet. Every time I have seen a manufacturer talk about a new rifle design people beg them not to do an AR stock but they do it anyway. Does anyone remember the Sig 556 discussions here before it was released?
The OP started a thread and asked for opinions I doubt he wanted everyone to just pat him on the back and say that’s awesome. He really wanted honest opinions. He wouldn’t have asked otherwise. He seems capable of doing great things without any input from anyone but since he asked, I offered my opinion. Sorry if that’s not politically correct around here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#10]
FYI - The pre-orders for the AR180 10.5 "pistol"/SBR uppers started yesterday - I got the email and clicked the link  they were sold out

This lower would really help make the Brownells project in my opinion.  While not 100% retro correct, it gives an opportunity to have some of the design and models never commercially offered such as handgun variants.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't say anything about the Upper as I am writing a magazine article reviewing it. I can't say much more about the lower for the same reason.

I will leave you with this and update my blog when it goes up for sale.

http://ar180s.com/new-pistol-grip-and-more/

Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't say anything about the Upper as I am writing a magazine article reviewing it. I can't say much more about the lower for the same reason.

I will leave you with this and update my blog when it goes up for sale.

http://ar180s.com/new-pistol-grip-and-more/

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/686E38C3-C823-4EEF-A2F1-BE2899FC7300-e1555592903957.jpeg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2BF15075-5965-4341-AE51-3AF69F601869.jpeg
View Quote
Wow, that lower turned out great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow!!! That looks fantastic! I’d definitely be interested in getting one off of you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks amazing!
When ya going to get the new 10" version?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The lower looks great. I'd like a fence around the mag release but other than that... Any updates?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The lower looks great. I'd like a fence around the mag release but other than that... Any updates?
View Quote
I’d say instead of a fence he should do what Nodak did and make a fake magazine release bump ahead of the actual mag release to get rid of that eyesore ‘empty’ spot. Otherwise, I am in awe and will send OP a check as soon as he’s accepting them .
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
This is the start of an S63A lower in sheetmetal:
Attachment Attached File

And another fellow is 3D printing Stoner PGs and the different handguards in a Nylon 12 then dying black.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And rubber recoil pads:
Attachment Attached File

Where there is a will there is a way.  AR-180 or Stoner 63, same designer, same techniques used to mfg, capable of being made in 3rd world countries.   Remember the AKM made from the shovel blade and receiver pressing dies made from train rails?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
All this is true BUT,

When you tool up to make something that is unavailable on the marketplace like a semi auto Stoner 63 people are willing to pay just about any price for one. The people fabricating these parts can get their investment back.

With the AR-180 you would have to build one for less than $1000 to compete with used Sterlings out there. I can't see an original stamped AR-180 ever being made for sale again. Even in Canada where the 180B based rifles are popular due to their non-restricted status, they are made out of aluminum.

Quoted:
This is the start of an S63A lower in sheetmetal:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43902/S63_Lower_Stamping_jpg-978546.JPG

And another fellow is 3D printing Stoner PGs and the different handguards in a Nylon 12 then dying black.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43902/Pistol-Grip-1_jpg-978547.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43902/handguards_jpg-978548.JPG

And rubber recoil pads:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43902/S63_Recoil_Pad1_jpg-978549.JPG

Where there is a will there is a way.  AR-180 or Stoner 63, same designer, same techniques used to mfg, capable of being made in 3rd world countries.   Remember the AKM made from the shovel blade and receiver pressing dies made from train rails?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I see what you are saying. But nobody is going to make that in any quantity because it will only fit 1-3 applications.

This upper, a dedicated 22lr, and maybe that Rock River or ZM Weapons upper.

Also, the buffer on the BRN-180 needs a round hole to nest in. The easiest way to get that machined is from the back.

What you want is a custom one-off with a built in hinge.
View Quote
What diameter and how deep?

Possible to drill a smaller hole through the buffer then come in with a slotting tool? It would be a lot easier than coming from the front of the reciever. Wouldn't be hard to tgen make it with a buffer and with out.

ETA, Just look closer at them. It looks like doing what i mentioned could be a option.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All this is true BUT,

When you tool up to make something that is unavailable on the marketplace like a semi auto Stoner 63 people are willing to pay just about any price for one. The people fabricating these parts can get their investment back.

With the AR-180 you would have to build one for less than $1000 to compete with used Sterlings out there. I can't see an original stamped AR-180 ever being made for sale again. Even in Canada where the 180B based rifles are popular due to their non-restricted status, they are made out of aluminum.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/F6747F70-51C8-4364-A93C-4933F309F65F.jpeg
View Quote
Good job op.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Personally, I think it would look really awesome with a Galil folding stock. I'd be down for a lower, would be a cool project!!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top