Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 97 of 146)
Page / 146
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:48:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:
I would think just the matech would make for a very handy feeling / balancing rifle.  I've never used one to know how good I'd shoot with it.  I'm used to having the choice of ghostring or small ap.    But man you get rid of about 7-8 ounces by going from the carry handle to the matech.
View Quote
The only occasional downside to the Matech is that the sight arm retainer/"bump" gets worn down with use to where eventually the sight arm stays in the up position all the time, though you can re-stake the bump to get it to work for a while longer.

ETA: Hmm... Some top of page pics... Not sure if any of these have been done before though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:

The only occasional downside to the Matech is that the sight arm retainer/"bump" gets worn down with use to where eventually the sight arm stays in the up position all the time, though you can re-stake the bump to get it to work for a while.
View Quote
Have you done this year yourself? I've got an old Matech myself and I'd like to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:
Have you done this year yourself? I've got an old Matech myself and I'd like to fix it.
View Quote
It's a royal pain in the a$$ in my personal opinion. Seeing as how these sights can usually be found for @$45 shipped off the EE, I think it's probably more cost effective (vs. the time it takes to fix it) just to replace it with a new one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I though about drilling mine out to the close range ghost ring diameter on the Carry handle. I have a bad astigmatism and the long range peep plays tricks on me
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#6]
It somewhat depends on the particular M68 being used. The term "M68" CCO applies to several different Aimpoint models, specifically. the Comp M2, Comp M3, Comp M4, & Comp M4s. All have been used with the M16A4 at one point or another while always being labeled as being an M68 CCO. For the Comp M2/3 models, there have rarely been used either a Wilcox or Larue Tactical Aimpoint mounts aside from the standard Early & Late models of the standard Aimpoint QRP mount. For the Comp M4 & M4S Aimpoints, there is also a Larue Tactical mount, as well a various replacement spacer heights that can be used, though I do not recall the specific model numbers of these.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#8]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
I have never seen a LaRue Aimpoint mount on an A4. That's interesting. I have seen the QRP. I'm guessing that is what should be used on an M2/M3. 
View Quote
The only LaRue Aimpoint Mount that I can personally attest to ever having seen used on an A4 was a cantilever one for use with the Comp M2/3 style M68 CCO - It was being used alongside a PVS-14D, a 3x magnifier in an unknown brand flip-to-side mount, and a PEQ-2a - all mounted on the top rail & receiver. To me it just looked like too much unwieldy $hit with all that on there. I'm not sure if the current cantilever mount listed on LaRue's website is the same model or not (I don't remember it having/used the locking quick-release lever so it may be a different model, but it did carry the LaRue label).

You are correct that the standard QRP mount was the most commonly used mount for use with the M2/M3 variants of the M68 CCO. Early A4s had the flat-based QRP mounts, and later A4s had the sloping-based ones. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the flat-based QRP mounts are rather susceptible to cracking or breaking issues due to having the thinner base versus the later thicker one.

Eta: Here's a reposted pic from earlier in the thread demonstrating the difference between the early & later QRP mounts. (Early version below, Later version (with height spacer) above)
(Both optics shown below are actually Aimpoint PROs which have been retrofitted with Comp M2 lens covers, adjuster caps, retainer straps, mount bases, and height spacer.)
Attachment Attached File

Hope this helps,
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]
So if you were going to put an M68 on an A4, what mount would you use? I'm assuming the "GI" mount?
View Quote
QRP mounts.
EE QRP

CD
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatGrinder] [#10]
Colt AR15A4. Leaving mine stock.
Can hold a dime size group at 60 yards with open sights.
Buying a 10x scope and LaRue mount eventually.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MeatGrinder:
https://i.imgur.com/Cn4HJao.jpg
View Quote
Just wonderful. Both 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#13]
If this isn't allowed please delete. Selling my A4 upper to fund a Mk 12 build. Easy way to get into the A4 game.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Just finished up a basic A4. I'm not really digging the A2 hand guards. Anybody have a RAS M5 they'd like to sell?

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ChrisWMT:
Just finished up a basic A4. I'm not really digging the A2 hand guards. Anybody have a RAS M5 they'd like to sell?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4334/36943830766_f7ab8756ad_k_d.jpg
View Quote
Love your A4.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Head to numrich and order an upper and lower m5 RAS.  Its a P and S products but is pretty much brand new 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisWMT] [#17]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Head to numrich and order an upper and lower m5 RAS.  Its a P and S products but is pretty much brand new 
View Quote
Thanks for the lead but they seem to be out of stock. I'll have to keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I guess we're going to see just how well my little armory holds up to hurricane Irma. Have to hit the sack now as I still have a few more preps to batton down.
I'll try & posts some post-Irma A4 pics here, you know, ....if I still have an armory afterward.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:58:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
Well, I guess we're going to see just how well my little armory holds up to hurricane Irma. Have to hit the sack now as I still have a few more preps to batton down.
I'll try & posts some post-Irma A4 pics here, you know, ....if I still have an armory afterward.
View Quote
Brother, I don't care much about them A4s now - rather about your safety.
Would love to get updates from you just to know if you're doing well as the hours go by.

Stay safe,

Phil
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#21]

KAC sells cosmetic blems on their website. And if you put panels on an M5 you won't see any blems at all. 
View Quote
I bought a blem M5 RAS from KAC couple years back and I've yet to figure out what it was rejected for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ChrisWMT:

Thanks for the lead but they seem to be out of stock. I'll have to keep an eye out.
View Quote
Make sure because I thought that too.  the pair together is out but you can order them seperately
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Make sure because I thought that too.  the pair together is out but you can order them seperately
View Quote
Thanks for the insight, I actually purchased MikeE23666's KAC rail. Should be here Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Brother, I don't care much about them A4s now - rather about your safety.
Would love to get updates from you just to know if you're doing well as the hours go by.

Stay safe,

Phil
View Quote
I hope he is alright.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#25]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
I hope he is alright.
View Quote
I'm good. Just doing a bunch of cleanup, and that thing called work.

ETA: Armory survived just fine. Had to pack a bunch of other stuff in there, so things are kind of a mess at the moment. I'll get some fresh A4 pics up when it's all sorted out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#26]
GREAT TO HEAR!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Indeed brother - happy Friday y'all
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Got the RAS today, much better!

Rest of muh clones.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MeatGrinder:
https://i.imgur.com/Cn4HJao.jpg
View Quote
Sexy!

I missed them for 900 shipped last time at brownells but I'll get one next time
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: evergreenskate] [#30]
More or less finished with my A4 build until I cave and cough up the cash for a ACOG. I'm going to swap the bayonet, I ordered a OKC3S but the seller gave me this M9.

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Can someone please some some pics and details of the issued A4 sling setup? Thanks. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
Can someone please some some pics and details of the issued A4 sling setup? Thanks. 
View Quote
There is the beginning of a write up back on page 90 or so. There were a whole lot of different slings issued over the years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By mnandy:

There is the beginning of a write up back on page 90 or so. There were a whole lot of different slings issued over the years.
View Quote
He never finished the write up on page 90, as to the slings. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#34]
He never finished the write up on page 90, as to the slings. 
View Quote
I've had some health issues as well as a hurricane that have set me back on completing this, but I am getting there. Still have to clean out the armory since Irma so I can once again access the photo equipment. Suffice it to say, I haven't forgot about it, and will get to it when I can. Had to deal with getting the rest of the fence debris out to the street this weekend since the county is expected to start debris pickup starting tomorrow. I do expect to have more of the write-up done by the end of the week though.

FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By evergreenskate:
More or less finished with my A4 build until I cave and cough up the cash for a ACOG. I'm going to swap the bayonet, I ordered a OKC3S but the seller gave me this M9.

https://i.imgur.com/my3ySH6.jpg
View Quote
Hot stuff.  GREAT pic, great gun.  As for the guy before you too with the family of guns.   Great stuff.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:42:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#36]
Originally Posted By evergreenskate:

https://i.imgur.com/my3ySH6.jpg
View Quote
Awesome.

Edited to add, please notice how the weathered down light adds immensely to the look.
Just a note to self - other cloners have this clearly in mind (painting, etc.) - that the been there done that look is always appropriate on military clones. It just truly adds.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Del Ton has those $245 Barrel Assemblies again.  I love mine . Go quick if you are on the fence 

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1030.htm
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Wanted to experiment with the ambi safety - so added a Colt original ambi.

Colt-Nodak A4
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt-Nodak A4
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Where does one get the cage code sticker to make their clone look all that more authentic?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#42]
what is the purpose of the ribs not extending all the way to the front of the KAC RAS handguards on the right and left sides?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#43]
what is the purpose of the ribs not extending all the way to the front of the KAC RAS handguards on the right and left sides?
View Quote
It seems to help with sling placement, however, I'm not sure that's the actual reason.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#44]
To mount an M203

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Spartan24:
Where does one get the cage code sticker to make their clone look all that more authentic?
View Quote
ecwid.com sells them
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AL1EN:
ecwid.com sells them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AL1EN:
Originally Posted By Spartan24:
ecwid.com sells them
ecwid.com is a web commerce site with a number of different sellers and their own stores. Carolina Laser Works, which makes many of the cage code stickers shown in this thread, uses ecwid.com to host their store.

Their direct URL is https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com/.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AL1EN] [#47]
Originally Posted By grondike:
ecwid.com is a web commerce site with a number of different sellers and their own stores. Carolina Laser Works, which makes many of the cage code stickers shown in this thread, uses ecwid.com to host their store.

Their direct URL is https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com/.
View Quote
what he said!

when i saved the link in my bookmarks it said ecwid.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I picked up one of Geissles Texas Triggers- it turned into this

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Looking for Acog models used on A4s by the military.  Mine is about done, minus an Acog and light.

If it has been discussed, could someone please point me to the appropriate thread?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#50]
TA31RCO-A4CP is the ACOG you seek. The reticle is calibrated for the A4's 20" barrel
Page / 146
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 97 of 146)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top