Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The photo above is the Aug I've been waiting to buy!

And you would buy one if it was available?

Who all would like to see that AUG A3 available?

Pete Athens

i would hate to lose the AUG VFG.  its still the most comfortable one around, even after 40ish years...

So who said you would have to lose it?

It's not gone on this one!

Pete Athens

AUG A3-CQC

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/auga3cqc6.jpg

Very cool.  Are the front rails removable?  It looks like the side rails are, how about the bottom?  

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, if you had that in stock, I'd be calling you immediately to place an order!

Well I have it here in front of me but it's one of the new prototypes. Can't sell it yet..........but they will be available in just a few more weeks!

If you look at your at the background what do you notice? Proof I have it!

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Pete could you demonstrate/explain how the barrel detaches from the receiver with the CQC?

If you look at your at the background what do you notice? Proof I have it! That Pete listens to the black eyed peas
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
How much are 20" barrels in 1-7 looking to be?

A 16" aug doesn't appeal to me that much. A 20" aug with tan or OD furniture plus a rail+SF optic?

Sexiness.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]
what is the thread pitch with the new augs
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Pete - can you educate some of us on the differences between these different AUG variations?  A1/A2/A3 I understand, but I'm not familiar with the CQC.  I see additional picatinny rails on the side of this version, and it looks like the barrel is shorter (though I'm assuming these wouldn't be NFA firearms - perhaps 14.5 w/ a pinned flash hider for length?).  Welcome additional details.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, if you had that in stock, I'd be calling you immediately to place an order!

Well I have it here in front of me but it's one of the new prototypes. Can't sell it yet..........but they will be available in just a few more weeks!

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/auga3cqcproto.jpg

Awesome! Looks like I'll be calling you in a few weeks! I assume that's a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Pete,  I am also interested in how  you remove the barrel in the AUG A3 CQC rifles?  Does the rail need to be removed to remove the barrel?  Will the CQC rails be avail separately?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/auga3cqcproto.jpg

Pete,
   Wondering on barrel length also and what is  the expected price?  Any MIL pricing?. Could see getting one of the CQC instead of just the 16" barrel for my A1.  Speaking of that any idea when the barrels will be available?  Looks like the barrels are the long pole in the tent and what has been delaying release of the new AUG.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The photo above is the Aug I've been waiting to buy!

And you would buy one if it was available?

Who all would like to see that AUG A3 available?

Pete Athens

i would hate to lose the AUG VFG.  its still the most comfortable one around, even after 40ish years...

So who said you would have to lose it?

It's not gone on this one!

Pete Athens

AUG A3-CQC

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/auga3cqc6.jpg

A3-CQC is exactly EXACTLY what I want... I will be watching everything you post up on here and on your site (and start selling other weapons to fund accordingly).
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Pete,

What is the weight on the crazy CQC forend?  Looks like a lot of aluminum in that one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
all that fore-end rail action kinda ruins it for me.  i prefer the lines/low bulk of a KISS AUG...maybe with top and small side-receiver rails only

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My steyr Vltor wishlist:

.22Lr conversion
9mm conversion
9mm XS model
SF model
F90 model in the future
tan stocks

the Bren Ten I paid for 3 years ago...
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
all that fore-end rail action kinda ruins it for me.  i prefer the lines/low bulk of a KISS AUG...maybe with top and small side-receiver rails only

Got something in the works you might like.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
what is the thread pitch with the new augs

13x1L metric for the barrel on the current ones coming out of FN.  Unfortunately they didn't get that "right" even on the new version here.

Sven
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pete could you demonstrate/explain how the barrel detaches from the receiver with the CQC?

If you look at your at the background what do you notice? Proof I have it! That Pete listens to the black eyed peas

Simple, you push a button slide the forearm off then remove the barrel as you normally do!

The whole setup adds 1 (one) pound to the standard railed AUG A3

Steyr Arms also has a few different A3 rail options coming out. They really want to give the people what they have been asking for!

This AUG A3/CQC is well over due! Many including me have been waiting for this to come out for years!

AUG A3/CQC has plenty of rails for all your needs!

Only one draw back, when you go to the range everyone wants to look and hold it. We spent more time showing it then shooting it!

I have had a lot of AUGs and many other firearms in my time, the AUG A3/CQC has become my favorite! Use to be the A2 AUG, not anymore.

Pictures do no justice for this gun, this AUG A3/CQC is one of the baddest looking AUGs!  

Steyr 1st showed the AUG A3/CQC at the 2006 Shot Show, within 2 weeks they had over 10,000 orders for it. As we all know it never happened. It is now.

Pete Athens
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Is the CQC an add on forearm to the base A3, or a different receiver altogether?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is the CQC an add on forearm to the base A3, or a different receiver altogether?

The receiver is the same, no modifications to the receiver.

Pete Athens
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Very neat.  Is that the standard 16" barrel in the pics or something shorter?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#20]
@ Pete, re: A3-CQC's forward rail - are the two side rail panels each removable?  

I like idea of it, but more streamlined w/ forward area of barrel to be covered, then adding rails on when needed (esp. on the 3 & 9 o'clock positions).
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@ Pete, re: A3-CQC's forward rail - are the two side rail panels each removable?  

I like idea of it, but more streamlined w/ forward area of barrel to be covered, then adding rails on when needed (esp. on the 3 & 9 o'clock positions).

The 2 side rails do come off.

The left rail is 5 1/2" and the right rail is 3"

You also have the option to put a 3" rail on the left side if you prefer, if you are one that likes matching sides. Or remove them if you don't want the rails on.

One has options! We all love options, don't we?

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Pete,
Can you give out the price you will be asking for the CQC and confirm the length of the barrel?  Also any discounts for MIL/LE?  If you want just PM me also wondering if you have any estimate on when te 16" barrels fr A1 will be avaible?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#23]
For the uninitiated what will the difference between the standard and Cqc models be?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#24]
So is  $ 2k and change the price these pups will be going for? What will be the price for the CQC A3?  Also will theNATO version that accepts AR15 magazines be available for purchase , or will the purchase of a new stock be necessary?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Steyr has really stepped up to the plate. Good times for the AUG.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Wonder if the cqc forearm will be sold separately and if so ball park price range?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I really like the rail on the CQC but if the basic model is going to be $2k plus change, I wouldnt be surprised if the CQC model goes for close to $3k. At those prices a 10 or 12 inch LWRC SBR starts looking real good
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At those prices a 10 or 12 inch LWRC SBR starts looking real good

Why?  It's an AR.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  It's an AR.

Well.. in my case the AUG would be a truck/camp/home defense rifle due to its inherent bullpup qualities. The overall legnth of a 10-12 inch SBR would be about the same as an AUG 16 inch and would be just about as accurate out to about 200 meters. An SBR would cost $200 bucks (stamp) and the price of the weapon ..which would be less than $2k+ or in the case of the AUG3 CQC .. more cash.  

I do realize that a bullpup ( AUG) with a full 16 or 18 inch barrel is an excellent CQB and 300+ range  rifle. I have a scoped MSAR with a 20" barrel and it shoots ok out to 300 yards ok, not great, better if I remove the vertical grip it seems.  The MSAR E4 1200 bucks.. for 2.5 k i could pick up an SBR upper and a good quality  16 " barrel complete M-4 that would be more acurrate than an AUG( an MSAR in my case) at 200+ yards.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Pete,

Is the new prototype rail AUG going to be sold as a seperate, add on rail or as a complete gun only?

I'll buy one either way!
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  It's an AR.

Well.. in my case the AUG would be a truck/camp/home defense rifle due to its inherent bullpup qualities. The overall legnth of a 10-12 inch SBR would be about the same as an AUG 16 inch and would be just about as accurate out to about 200 meters. An SBR would cost $200 bucks (stamp) and the price of the weapon ..which would be less than $2k+ or in the case of the AUG3 CQC .. more cash.  

I do realize that a bullpup ( AUG) with a full 16 or 18 inch barrel is an excellent CQB and 300+ range  rifle. I have a scoped MSAR with a 20" barrel and it shoots ok out to 300 yards ok, not great, better if I remove the vertical grip it seems.  The MSAR E4 1200 bucks.. for 2.5 k i could pick up an SBR upper and a good quality  16 " barrel complete M-4 that would be more acurrate than an AUG at 200+ yards.

Dont judge the accuracy of the Stery Aug rifles by your MSAR rifles lack of accuracy.The barrels dont compare.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  It's an AR.

I do realize that a bullpup ( AUG) with a full 16 or 18 inch barrel is an excellent CQB and 300+ range  rifle. I have a scoped MSAR with a 20" barrel and it shoots ok out to 300 yards ok, not great, better if I remove the vertical grip it seems.  The MSAR E4 1200 bucks.. for 2.5 k i could pick up an SBR upper and a good quality  16 " barrel complete M-4 that would be more acurrate than an AUG at 200+ yards.

Dont judge the accuracy of the Stery Aug rifles by your MSAR rifles lack of accuracy.The barrels dont compare.

You may be right.   All things being equal the MSAR does about as well as a standard issue M-4 ( about 2.5-3.5 inch groups at about 200-250 yards) is an AUG much better than that? If it is I would certainly be impressed.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I had an STG556 and now an AUG.  Even at 50 yards, I can tell a difference between the two.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#34]
http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/GL_1009_Steyr-AUG.indd_.jpg
50 yard accuracy of 16 barrel AUG Steyr

Manufacturer: Steyr Arms; (205) 655-8299, www.steyrarms.com
Action Type: Short-stroke, gas-piston-operated semi-automatic
Caliber: .223 Rem.
Capacity: 30 rounds
Receiver: Investment cast, Eloxal-coated aluminum
Barrel Length: 16 inches (tested), 20 inches, 21.6 inches
Rifling: Six grooves; 1:9-inch RH twist
Sights: None; Picatinny rail for mounting optics
Trigger Pull Weight: 10 pounds, 10 ounces
Stock: Synthetic
Overall Length: 28.15 inches (tested)
Weight: 8 pounds
Accessories: Soft carry case, cleaning kit, sling, manual, two, 30-round translucent polymer magazines
MSRP: $2,295

From what I can see from unbiased tests the AUG shoots very much like the MSAR
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Really, really late but tan stock for me!
I don't know enough about augs to know what else I want, except I want one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I think I would just prefer to have a nato stock with the standard rail and a 1-7 barrel i can turn down to a 18"
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Mr. Athens,

Lookin' forward to buying a 20" barrel for my A3 as soon as you have some to sell!

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
SNIP

The results you posted pertain to ONE sample of the sabre barreled guns.
The A1 Steyr barreled guns shoot differently than the sabre barreled A3's.
These new FN barreled A3's will also be inherently different.
It's a bit early to start comparing...
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#39]
True... My Steyr barreled AUG A2 shoots 1 MOA consistently with factory ammunition. Even my issued beaten up A1 did.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
True... My Steyr barreled AUG A2 shoots 1 MOA consistently with factory ammunition. Even my issued beaten up A1 did.

Good to hear, as I am very interested in purchasing one of these weapons. Is your a 16" or 20 "? I havent had the opportunity to fire a 16' and that is what I wish to purchase. I imagine that the difference between the 16 and the 20 inch do not manifest from under 300 yards.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

The results you posted pertain to ONE sample of the sabre barreled guns.
The A1 Steyr barreled guns shoot differently than the sabre barreled A3's.
These new FN barreled A3's will also be inherently different.
It's a bit early to start comparing...

You make a valid point. I am hoping that since FN is making the barrels that it proves more accurate, but only time will tell. From what I have read it seems that FN produces better quality barrels than Green Mountain ( MSAR Barrel manufacturer). I hope that this quallity makes a difference in the AUG's accuaracy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to hear, as I am very interested in purchasing one of these weapons. Is your a 16" or 20 "? I havent had the opportunity to fire a 16' and that is what I wish to purchase. I imagine that the difference between the 16 and the 20 inch do not manifest from under 300 yards.

with the Steyr A1/A2, i always heard that the 16" barrels were the most accurate due to barrel harmonics

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

with the Steyr A1/A2, i always heard that the 16" barrels were the most accurate due to barrel harmonics

Mine has a 20" Steyr CHF barrel. I didn't own a 16" Aug yet so I can not share any personal experiences.

But all AUGs that I have seen up to now even the most beaten up ones were capable of shooting between 1 and 1,75 MOA with factory ammunition.
Even Wolf wasn't that bad out of mine. Well not too good either but still better than my AR.

Richard
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Whoever shot that AUG in the article from above was not trying very hard.
My A3 with a 4 MOA Micro at 50 yards can put 20 rounds of IMI 62 or 55 grain and 55 grain Lake City into 2" squares shooting at a pretty good clip too, I give it about 5-10 seconds between shots and fire off a box of 20 when I shoot on paper.
If I shot 5 round groups (which I have with the 75 and 69 grain stuff) it is an inch or less at 50.  This is with zero magnification, at 100 I usually get a 2.5-3" 20 shot group shooting at a 6" Shootnsee.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#45]
All good stuff, thanks for the information.  Seems that AUG owners agree on the accuracy of the legit AUG platform. Maybe that its worth that 2 grand considering that I don't have to bother with the ATF and still have an excellent SBR capable rifle that can still reach out and touch  some one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All good stuff, thanks for the information.  Seems that AUG owners agree on the accuracy of the legit AUG platform. Maybe that its worth that 2 grand considering that I don't have to bother with the ATF and still have an excellent SBR capable rifle that can still reach out and touch  some one.

Agreed, plus you get to keep the velocity of a longer barrel.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I just want one to fill the hole in my Steyr collection (have a SSG 69 PII and a M9-A1)

Nato stock is needed for me though dont want to invest in a new set of mags
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

Can you give us a hint on the great things to come? 9mm Aug? New model like SF? Please no more torture  - just a hint,

Just a hint would give it away, It then wouldn't be a surprise!

What would you guys want to see come out of Steyr?

What AUG?

Pete Athens

9MM kits, .22lr kits, tan stocks and a forward vertical grip with a slot for pressure switch (steyr already makes these for the SF model)

What AUG?

The A3 SF model
Please bring the A3 SF to the US, either as a complete gun or just the receiver.
http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/002076/2076084.jpg

9mm Kits - We are pushing it very hard

.22 kits hopefully they will get them running good and make available soon

Tan Stocks - I'm not 100% sure 500 guys/gals would want one (min run is 500)

SF AUG is possible but would be more expensive because of the optics, can't rule it out

Grips with slots shouldn't be a problem to get, I'm sure I could get them if available.

What about an AUG A3 like the one below? Pete Athens

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1605/steyrauga3.jpg

I would definitely buy one in that configuration!! I keep thinking it's an airsoft gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

Can you give us a hint on the great things to come? 9mm Aug? New model like SF? Please no more torture  - just a hint,

What AUG?

Pete Athens

9MM kits, .22lr kits, tan stocks and a forward vertical grip with a slot for pressure switch (steyr already makes these for the SF model)

What AUG?

The A3 SF model
Please bring the A3 SF to the US, either as a complete gun or just the receiver.

SF AUG is possible but would be more expensive because of the optics, can't rule it out

Grips with slots shouldn't be a problem to get, I'm sure I could get them if available.

No offense to you Pete or anyone else involved in this, I won't believe it unless I see them in stock for sale and one in my hands.

As other Firearm Manufactures Steyr too makes promises and never delivers.
Steyr has shown that A3 CQC at several Shot Shows and promised it's dealer's/distributors they would be available that year Where are they? Coming, coming, coming......gone!

It's just not the CQC, on their web site years ago they had the 6.8 AUG listed, where is it now?

What about the AUG .22 kit, promised 2 or 3 years ago and still no .22 kit. It probably will never happen.

Where is the US made 9 mm AUG?

Steyr has the best track record of promising things and never delivering.

Maybe that's why MSAR sold 18,000 STGs and Steyr only sold 1800?

Why make promises that you don't intend on keeping, to me that shows you don't care. You lose your credibility!  

It's just the way it is!

JMPO

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

What AUG?

Pete Athens

What AUG?

The A3 SF model

No offense to you Pete or anyone else involved in this, I won't believe it unless I see them in stock for sale and one in my hands.

As other Firearm Manufactures Steyr too makes promises and never delivers.
Steyr has shown that A3 CQC at several Shot Shows and promised it's dealer's/distributors they would be available that year Where are they? Coming, coming, coming......gone!

It's just not the CQC, on their web site years ago they had the 6.8 AUG listed, where is it now?

What about the AUG .22 kit, promised 2 or 3 years ago and still no .22 kit. It probably will never happen.

Where is the US made 9 mm AUG?

Steyr has the best track record of promising things and never delivering.

Maybe that's why MSAR sold 18,000 STGs and Steyr only sold 1800?

Why make promises that you don't intend on keeping, to me that shows you don't care. You lose your credibility!  

It's just the way it is!

JMPO

I hear you and many others loud and clear!

The guys at Steyr USA are great guys and want to change things. It takes time?

I will do my best to help them bring things to market much sooner then later !

Pete Athens
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top