Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The photo above is the Aug I've been waiting to buy!

And you would buy one if it was available?

Who all would like to see that AUG A3 available?

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd start taking names on the people that say they want one.  When that MSRP comes out and it's $500-$700 more than an A3, you'll hear the usual crickets chirping.  This is a generally budget conscious crowd, hence the love for the subpar MSAR.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Pete,
 The Steyr website says rifles available again late August.  Is that an accurate timeline?  Or is it more realistically September?
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pete,
 The Steyr website says rifles available again late August.  Is that an accurate timeline?  Or is it more realistically September?

All depends on FN barrel delivery. FN promised Steyr they would have the barrels by August 15th or the 25th the latest.

They have 250-300 A3s built ready to go, just missing the barrels.

Once they get the barrels all they have to do is test fire each AUG A3 5 rounds and it's ready to go.

I have pictures posted of the sub assemblies in the beginning of this thread.

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

Can you give us a hint on the great things to come? 9mm Aug? New model like SF? Please no more torture  - just a hint,

Just a hint would give it away, It then wouldn't be a surprise!

What would you guys want to see come out of Steyr?

What AUG?

Pete Athens

9MM kits, .22lr kits, tan stocks and a forward vertical grip with a slot for pressure switch (steyr already makes these for the SF model)

What AUG?

The A3 SF model
Please bring the A3 SF to the US, either as a complete gun or just the receiver.
http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/002076/2076084.jpg

9mm Kits - We are pushing it very hard

.22 kits hopefully they will get them running good and make available soon

Tan Stocks - I'm not 100% sure 500 guys/gals would want one (min run is 500)

SF AUG is possible but would be more expensive because of the optics, can't rule it out

Grips with slots shouldn't be a problem to get, I'm sure I could get them if available.

What about an AUG A3 like the one below? Pete Athens

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1605/steyrauga3.jpg

No offense to you Pete or anyone else involved in this, I won't believe it unless I see them in stock for sale and one in my hands.

As other Firearm Manufactures Steyr too makes promises and never delivers.
Steyr has shown that A3 CQC at several Shot Shows and promised it's dealer's/distributors they would be available that year Where are they? Coming, coming, coming......gone!

It's just not the CQC, on their web site years ago they had the 6.8 AUG listed, where is it now?

What about the AUG .22 kit, promised 2 or 3 years ago and still no .22 kit. It probably will never happen.

Where is the US made 9 mm AUG?

Steyr has the best track record of promising things and never delivering.

Maybe that's why MSAR sold 18,000 STGs and Steyr only sold 1800?

Why make promises that you don't intend on keeping, to me that shows you don't care. You lose your credibility!  

It's just the way it is!

JMPO

I hear you and many others loud and clear!

The guys at Steyr USA are great guys and want to change things. It takes time?

I will do my best to help them bring things to market much sooner then later !

Pete Athens

The SF models are cool.

I would MUCH rather see an A1 styled optic to replace the top rail.   That would get my credit card out.  More rails?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd start taking names on the people that say they want one.  When that MSRP comes out and it's $500-$700 more than an A3, you'll hear the usual crickets chirping.  This is a generally budget conscious crowd, hence the love for the subpar MSAR.

I don't think price would  be as bad as people think it would.

If things work out one might be able to buy a AUG A3 CQC with factory scope for around  $2950! Less without scope. Of course that is a "package deal" where one saves a few dollars by buying more.

If you want a Surefire/light combo those run around $500-$750 plus add a 11/2 pound to the firearm!

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The SF models are cool.

I would MUCH rather see an A1 styled optic to replace the top rail.   That would get my credit card out.  More rails?  Not so much.

I too like SF A3, it's a cool looking AUG, but with the scope it might be a bit expensive. Then guys will want a rail to replace the scope, Not everyone will want the scope.

The AUG A2s & USRs came with the scopes,  guess what? Everyone wanted a rail to replace the scope.

No way to please everyone!

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have spent some time with this optic and do not plan on purchasing one.  There are better options available as far as I am concerned.  Dawg180's mount that will be available for the A3 will give you some great choices for glass.   Now that rifle, there are no better options as far as bullpups are concerned!
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

Can you give us a hint on the great things to come? 9mm Aug? New model like SF? Please no more torture  - just a hint,

What AUG?

Pete Athens

9MM kits, .22lr kits, tan stocks and a forward vertical grip with a slot for pressure switch (steyr already makes these for the SF model)

What AUG?

The A3 SF model
Please bring the A3 SF to the US, either as a complete gun or just the receiver.

SF AUG is possible but would be more expensive because of the optics, can't rule it out

Grips with slots shouldn't be a problem to get, I'm sure I could get them if available.

No offense to you Pete or anyone else involved in this, I won't believe it unless I see them in stock for sale and one in my hands.

Steyr has shown that A3 CQC at several Shot Shows and promised it's dealer's/distributors they would be available that year Where are they? Coming, coming, coming......gone!

It's just not the CQC, on their web site years ago they had the 6.8 AUG listed, where is it now?

What about the AUG .22 kit, promised 2 or 3 years ago and still no .22 kit. It probably will never happen.

Why make promises that you don't intend on keeping, to me that shows you don't care. You lose your credibility!  

It's just the way it is!

JMPO

Pete Athens

The SF models are cool.

+1.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

What AUG?

Pete Athens

What AUG?

The A3 SF model

It's just the way it is!

JMPO

Pete Athens

The SF models are cool.

Pick a 30mm scope of your choice, and problem solved!

(Current mount is slightly different- is sloped at the front with a different sling point mount, but close enough to give you the idea!)

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

What AUG?

Pete Athens

What AUG?

The A3 SF model

It's just the way it is!

JMPO

Pete Athens

The SF models are cool.

(Current mount is slightly different- is sloped at the front with a different sling point mount, but close enough to give you the idea!)

http://i45.tinypic.com/sfi9z9.jpg

would totally rock that with a accupoint 1-4
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete

What AUG?

Pete Athens

What AUG?

The A3 SF model

It's just the way it is!

JMPO

Pete Athens

The SF models are cool.

http://i45.tinypic.com/sfi9z9.jpg

would totally rock that with a accupoint 1-4

Dave can confirm AUG type rifle + Talon Mount + Trijicon Accupoint = pure awesome!
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SF models are cool.

I too like SF A3, it's a cool looking AUG, but with the scope it might be a bit expensive. Then guys will want a rail to replace the scope, Not everyone will want the scope.

The AUG A2s & USRs came with the scopes,  guess what? Everyone wanted a rail to replace the scope.

No way to please everyone!

Pete Athens

Is there any chance for an A1 or A2 style AUG becoming available with the classic optic?
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
There here already. Just buy an A1 or A2. Not trying to be a smartass but the prebans will always have intrinsic value. I have an A1 and one A3 ( soon to be two). The prebans that I have shot have a stiffer trigger than my A3 but believe me just start shooting that thing and you will never notice the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There here already. Just buy an A1 or A2. Not trying to be a smartass but the prebans will always have intrinsic value. I have an A1 and one A3 ( soon to be two). The prebans that I have shot have a stiffer trigger than my A3 but believe me just start shooting that thing and you will never notice the trigger.

+1

The green and black prebans AUGs are classics!

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Did we we get word on availability with NATO stocks instead?  I feel like I need one seeing as VLTOR is in my state and are really good guys.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

texasyid, I really like the looks of the A1(I hope I got that right). The new ones look like superpowers/rayguns, Imo.
I'll admit I have never held one nor seen one in real life but to me, the new ones look very heavy.
Is the price of an A1 much more than the new ones?
Do you think the chb would offset any weight increase?
Tia
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

texasyid, I really like the looks of the A1(I hope I got that right). The new ones look like superpowers/rayguns, Imo.
I'll admit I have never held one nor seen one in real life but to me, the new ones look very heavy.
Is the price of an A1 much more than the new ones?
Do you think the chb would offset any weight increase?
Tia

A new A3 AUG will serve you just as good (if not better in some aspects) than a used A1 AUG.

A USR which also can incorporate the A1 type sight is about $1700. You don't want a USR unless you live in CA.

A great price on a USED green 20" A1 is $2000.
A decent condition green 20" A1 is closer to $2800.

An original black 16" A1 that is USED is $3000+.
An original black 16" A1 in decent condition is probably $4000+.

There are a lot of variables to pricing an A1. You have to know exactly what to look for to not get ripped off.

Currently there is a very limited number of NIB (brand new) green 20" A1's for $3400. They might all be gone by now, but within the last year there were about twenty of them pulled from storage. The same company had a bunch of brand new preban Colt AR's and pre 89 Norinco AK's. Whoever consigned them all, must have been hurting for cash or not too smart... should have sold them ten years ago...
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry if I missed it, but are the FN 16" barrels 1:9 or 1:7? Pete's Web site says 1:9 but the photo he shows seems to be marked 1:7...

I owned an FS2000 for awhile which made me swear off bullpups but the A3CQC really has my attention.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#20]

A3 CQC with the Steyr foregrip and NATO stock?

WILL BUY, as soon as it's available. It will need to be left handed though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Can a few of these rails be removed?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/auga3cqc6.jpg

A3 CQC with the Steyr foregrip and NATO stock?

WILL BUY, as soon as it's available. It will need to be left handed though.

EXACTLY.  This is the model that has me all kinds of stoked, righty is fine though.  

And earlier in the thread it was confirmed you could remove rail sections if you like, you can see the recessed screw heads.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll ask again....

Is the CQC rail an ADD ON or will it be a completely new gun?

Can I get on a pre-order list?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#24]
WS4LIF,
 Ratworx has a list they can put you on but it isn't in the pre-order stage yet.  They told me to just give them my information and they will let me know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Those of you wanting a fancy railed forend may want to hold out for a bit and stick it out until at least the Bullpup Shoot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#26]
That CQC AUG just looks totally badass, I want one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I could go for purchasing the rail that ges on the front of the CQC model... how much would that go for Mr. Athens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Those of you wanting a fancy railed forend may want to hold out for a bit and stick it out until at least the Bullpup Shoot.

It's kind of uncoot you posting info about your rails on someone's else's thread isn't it?

Seems like you would start your own thread?

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kind of uncoot you posting info about your rails on someone's else's thread isn't it?

Seems like you would start your own thread?

Oops, there are like five threads going about the Steyr AUG A3 right now, I did not realize which one it is, my bad!  

I have talked to Pete several times and we are on good terms, it was not meant as a slight against him or stuff he may be importing.  More products and more options = better for everyone!

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#30]

CQC A3 with 24", 20" & 18"  barrel

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
We have 6 CQC prototypes, lots of testing conducted. Zero Malfunctions!

These A3 CQC pictured with the short rails on the left side. Rail options will be available.

The CQC rails are made in the USA by an American owned company!

More info and pics will be posted this weekend.

Thanks,
Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We have 6 CQC prototypes, lots of testing conducted. Zero Malfunctions!

These A3 CQC pictured with the short rails on the left side. Rail options will be available.

The CQC rails are made in the USA by an American owned company!

More info and pics will be posted this weekend.

Thanks,
Pete Athens

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/3cqcs.jpg

What are the barrel lengths for those three AUG's?

Disregard, I didn't read the post above.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have spent some time with this optic and do not plan on purchasing one.  There are better options available as far as I am concerned.  Dawg180's mount that will be available for the A3 will give you some great choices for glass.   Now that rifle, there are no better options as far as bullpups are concerned!

I think Pete asked what we wanted to see come out of Steyr , how about some expert advise on what type upgrade they can do to the current optic instead of shooting his down in his thread.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#34]
what is the overall weight for each of A3s?

that non-skeletonized top rail looks heavy

its always seemed to me that the 20" AUG is a little on the heavy side (its almost 1 pound heavier than the M16A2) with most of that weight being in the pretty hefty receiver.  has any thought ever been given to adding lightening cuts to non-structural portions of the receiver to knock off a pound or so?

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Pete,
 For a first time AUG owner would you recommend the 20" or 18" barreled model?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

its always seemed to me that the 20" AUG is a little on the heavy side (its almost 1 pound heavier than the M16A2) with most of that weight being in the pretty hefty receiver.  has any thought ever been given to adding lightening cuts to non-structural portions of the receiver to knock off a pound or so?

The rail is deceiving, it has lightening cuts underneath it. It's not as heavy as it looks. All the Steyr rails have lightening slots on the bottom of them.

The cuts being underneath are concealed and less likely of something getting hung up in them, especially if you are going through the bush. These were designed for military use.

24" CQC 9 1/2lbs
20" CQC 9 lbs
18" CQC 8 3/4 lbs

20" preban A2 AUG 7 3/4 lbs

Colt M16 A2 10 1/2 Commando Carbine  6 lbs

FNC 16" Carbine 8 1/2 lbs

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#37]
can we get a weight on the 16 without the cqc rail?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

7.3 according to wiki and 8.15 pounds, with an empty magazine, according to the Steyr website.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Pete, what is the estimated price difference between the CQC and the regular A3 coming out?

I like the CQC a lot but like others if there's a big difference in price I'd go with the regular A3
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

About 7.5 lbs with the Steyr AUG A3 Military high rail, bit less with the standard A3 rail

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I like the 14" barrel look with the short rail, personally I find the quad rail looks too busy, that being said, A3 in Tan 16" barrel and I'm in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Pete, what is the estimated price difference between the CQC and the regular A3 coming out?

I like the CQC a lot but like others if there's a big difference in price I'd go with the regular A3

Steyr's MSRP on the standard A3 AUG is $2099 , as we are well  know in the Steyr AUG market for bringing great deals to our AUG clients we will be bringing the CQC A3s to market at $2200.

Including the VLTOR QD Sling Swivel the CQC rail system is a 6 piece rail system. 100% Mil Spec. Nothing complicated or difficult to install or remove.    

Back in 06 when these were shown at Shot Show the projected price was over $2999

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like the 14" barrel look with the short rail, personally I find the quad rail looks too busy, that being said, A3 in Tan 16" barrel and I'm in.

The 14" barrel is nice but not practical for many. Not many want to register their AUGs as SBR

Steyr tried the tan stock years ago, it didn't do that well in sales.

Pete Athens
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 14" barrel is nice but not practical for many. Not many want to register their AUGs as SBR

Pete Athens

To be fair, that was before the floodgates were opened and Austrian goodwill graced the US with the A3. ie there are now 2,000 (and soon to be more) owners of AUG A3 rifles who may be bored with the black color...
Also, the color "FDE" (tan) is what all the "cool kids" like to put on their non-AUG rifles.

I like my Saudi stock, but the color is a bit too "light". Darken the color a bit and it would be a good seller (in my opinion).

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Pete do you have any photos of the new CQC AUG sitting next to the standard A3?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pete Athens

how about the khaki stock that the Australians are using now?  that seems like a good common ground between the OD and tan...

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#47]
It was my understanding that there was actually an accuracy penalty associated with the original 24" heavy barrels due to either a harmonic issue or barrel whip. Is that still true with the new design?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rail is deceiving, it has lightening cuts underneath it. It's not as heavy as it looks. All the Steyr rails have lightening slots on the bottom of them.

The cuts being underneath are concealed and less likely of something getting hung up in them, especially if you are going through the bush. These were designed for military use.

24" CQC 9 1/2lbs

20" CQC 9 lbs

18" CQC 8 3/4 lbs

20" preban A2 AUG 7 3/4 lbs

Colt M16 A2 10 1/2 Commando Carbine  6 lbs

FNC 16" Carbine 8 1/2 lbs

Pete Athens

thanks

how much weight does the Steyr optic add?

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 3:45:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It was my understanding that there was actually an accuracy penalty associated with the original 24" heavy barrels due to either a harmonic issue or barrel whip. Is that still true with the new design?

The original AUG 24" Heavy Barrel was an "LMG" (Light Machine Gun) Barrel, It was designed to sustain long burst of full auto fire. It wasn't designed for a sniper barrel.

All the Open Bolt LMG AUGs came standard with a 24" heavy barrel with bipod.

Having the Bi-Pod attached to the end of the 24" Barrel causes accuracy issues.

Usually one can shoot better groups with a 16" or 20" AUG,  remove the bii-pod of the 24" barrel and your accuracy will greatly improve.

Steyr has long discontinued the LMG 24" Barrel.

Pete Athens

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#50]

how about the khaki stock that the Australians are using now?  that seems like a good common ground between the OD and tan...

This will work for me. My safe is full of black guns. And a few "black rifles".

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top