Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Will threads about the zentico clones or the two dozen glock clones also get locked due to promotion of intellectual property theft or no?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting read...

I would like to see the tech forum(s) just be a place with the freedom of discussing ALL NV TECH. I am not sure why site staff even wants to get mixed up in the politics, because doing so would then start a chain of liability for any/all clone discussion they opt not to jump on top of - from Magazines to Plate carriers... If there are IP issues, I think L3Harris and B.E. Meyers have deep enough pockets to defend their IP rights against any entities they believe is infringing upon those designs. I wouldn't endorse sharing 3D Print files for IP, but the discussion of the existence of those items? Why would you ever want to restrict that and then claim you are on team freedom? If anything we need to utilize the forum to explain how sub par some of those devices are.

Traffic on the NV forums has declined so much in the recent years. I honestly miss all the Horta threads and how lively these forums were. There was a lot of tech discussion then and it was a great place for people to come and learn about an emerging technology. I'd like to see it return to that and less politics.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chosos:
Interesting read...

I would like to see the tech forum(s) just be a place with the freedom of discussing ALL NV TECH. I am not sure why site staff even wants to get mixed up in the politics, because doing so would then start a chain of liability for any/all clone discussion they opt not to jump on top of - from Magazines to Plate carriers... If there are IP issues, I think L3Harris and B.E. Meyers have deep enough pockets to defend their IP rights against any entities they believe is infringing upon those designs. I wouldn't endorse sharing 3D Print files for IP, but the discussion of the existence of those items? Why would you ever want to restrict that and then claim you are on team freedom? If anything we need to utilize the forum to explain how sub par some of those devices are.

Traffic on the NV forums has declined so much in the recent years. I honestly miss all the Horta threads and how lively these forums were. There was a lot of tech discussion then and it was a great place for people to come and learn about an emerging technology. I'd like to see it return to that and less politics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting read...

View Quote

What he said
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting read...

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting read...

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Any chance the other thread can be unlocked so that we can discuss these things again? Or can another thread be started, or will that be locked too?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:10:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#8]
Originally Posted By jrpett:
Any chance the other thread can be unlocked so that we can discuss these things again? Or can another thread be started, or will that be locked too?
View Quote

Just because you read a string of very eloquently written opinions supported by facts don’t expect common sense to prevail.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the way I read this, is the NGAL is now verbotten, however, since the PEQ-15 is supposedly "off-patent" and can be reproduced, we can discuss that, within reason.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd say at this point, continue conversation as normal and stop piling on the criticism of anyone.

That way, if this gets locked, it's clear as to why.

Points of view and compelling arguments have been made.  Hold off on that now, drive on, see where it goes.  ASSUMING TNVC had any say in anything, my guess is they'd want to keep this open simply based on the optics.  My guess is ARF will read the comments, probably make some adjustments, and want it to stay open so it doesn't turn into USMC marked rear sights part two.

A lock wouldn't look good for anyone at this point.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AKoch31:
It has arrived! And it's bright as fuck on visible. I'll play with the IR settings tonight but it's supposed to pour for like 3 days straight.

Next to his peq
https://i.imgur.com/6sd8cFg.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/XlLyFWm.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/gMcUxz7.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/gGVlyPH.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/AAtJJTS.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/oIlGVqb.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/2dITjxL.jpeg
View Quote

@akoch31 - have you had a chance to compare the two units?

And just for my clarification, these are IS units?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I put in an order for one of these back in December and still nothing. Apparently *one* person has received their NGAL and I haven't heard from them posting in this thread in weeks. IS guy says he's still testing the PCB's... which again, he was doing two months ago.

Any other updates?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kilroymcb:
I put in an order for one of these back in December and still nothing. Apparently *one* person has received their NGAL and I haven't heard from them posting in this thread in weeks. IS guy says he's still testing the PCB's... which again, he was doing two months ago.

Any other updates?
View Quote

Are you going to ask for a refund or have you already done so?  I thought IS says it will provide a 100% refund if not shipped in 12 weeks.  Anyone ask and receive or be denied a refund?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:27:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nachricter] [#15]
I placed my order the first week in January and have been asking for bimonthly updates.  Based on his reply email late last night, it sounds like most orders from the January time frame will be shipping in the next few weeks.

Changes in his design and sources of parts likely have contributed to the tardiness of getting the units out the door. I'll add that during all our emails, he was willing to offer a refund at any time if I was no longer willing to wait.

Fingers crossed I can also share my experiences with this unit in the upcoming weeks!

(I'm trying to upload his email for everyone but it's longer than 2000 characters.. Give me a few moments!)
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Nachricter:
I placed my order the first week in January and have been asking for bimonthly updates.  Based on his reply email late last night, it sounds like most orders from the January time frame will be shipping in the next few weeks.

Changes in his design and sources of parts likely have contributed to the tardiness of getting the units out the door. I'll add that during all our emails, he was willing to offer a refund at any time if I was no longer willing to wait.

Fingers crossed I can also share my experiences with this unit in the upcoming weeks!

(I'm trying to upload his email for everyone but it's longer than 2000 characters.. Give me a few moments!)
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got the same email.  I'm in for the win, but you may not want to continue waiting so long.

Technically speaking, as to the OP, comparing the two PEQ-15 type units.  IS is probably a bit better, as they are hand-built, by one dude, and it would appear he is very concerned with QC.  However they cost significantly more, and the wait times are substantial.  So the SG cost a lot less, and ships much quicker, when you catch a new batch out of the oven, much like a late night cruise catching the Crispy Creme sign on.  Although they are perfectly functional, the quality is probably a bit less than the IS model.  However, for the money, they are a good functioning LAM, for many of us that are not in high risk occupations.

I am hedging my bets, by waiting for IS goodness, but using SG stuff in the meantime.  So essentially I find a place for both of them.  The SG is a good place holder for now (and still a good choice for secondary weapons), and the IS is a good investment for later.  

This is not to say there are not any other choices out there, for lots of different folks, doing lots of different things.  If arfcom vendors carried some of these alternative products, I would be happy to patronize them.  If arfcom mods don't consider PEQ-15 type units, with significant differences, as IP theft, then perhaps we can discuss them, intelligently, without going over-board, and be considered as pimping them out.

There are pluses and minuses in going this route.  It is "A" way of going.  It's there. It gives the consumer another choice.  If I could buy an ATPIAL in the 20 mW range, I'd probably jump on it.  And buy it from an arfcom vendor here.  Just sayin'.

I hope this is considered reasonable discussion and within guidelines.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you answer my question that's at the top of this page? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Just got the same email.  I'm in for the win, but you may not want to continue waiting so long.

Technically speaking, as to the OP, comparing the two PEQ-15 type units.  IS is probably a bit better, as they are hand-built, by one dude, and it would appear he is very concerned with QC.  However they cost significantly more, and the wait times are substantial.  So the SG cost a lot less, and ships much quicker, when you catch a new batch out of the oven, much like a late night cruise catching the Crispy Creme sign on.  Although they are perfectly functional, the quality is probably a bit less than the IS model.  However, for the money, they are a good functioning LAM, for many of us that are not in high risk occupations.

I am hedging my bets, by waiting for IS goodness, but using SG stuff in the meantime.  So essentially I find a place for both of them.  The SG is a good place holder for now (and still a good choice for secondary weapons), and the IS is a good investment for later.  

This is not to say there are not any other choices out there, for lots of different folks, doing lots of different things.  If arfcom vendors carried some of these alternative products, I would be happy to patronize them.  If arfcom mods don't consider PEQ-15 type units, with significant differences, as IP theft, then perhaps we can discuss them, intelligently, without going over-board, and be considered as pimping them out.

There are pluses and minuses in going this route.  It is "A" way of going.  It's there. It gives the consumer another choice.  If I could buy an ATPIAL in the 20 mW range, I'd probably jump on it.  And buy it from an arfcom vendor here.  Just sayin'.

I hope this is considered reasonable discussion and within guidelines.
View Quote

I was looking at the new email as well. I gotta be honest I dont think these will be comparable to the SG units. Based on his info alone, on paper, these should blow SG out of the water. There is still nothing comparable to the IS stuff on the market, price for performance. I had 2 original FP peqs and hate the illuminator/laser quality and granularity. Why I sold them off and went all in on the IS stuff. I could of bought a real NGAL for how much im into his lasers but I expect good things so I am happy with the gamble.
I still consider the SG stuff closer to hobby grade and I know thats not what a lot of us are looking for. The market needs something closer to mil spec at the minimum and I have high hopes for the IS stuff. I hope im not proven wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:

I was looking at the new email as well. I gotta be honest I dont think these will be comparable to the SG units. Based on his info alone, on paper, these should blow SG out of the water. There is still nothing comparable to the IS stuff on the market, price for performance. I had 2 original FP peqs and hate the illuminator/laser quality and granularity. Why I sold them off and went all in on the IS stuff. I could of bought a real NGAL for how much im into his lasers but I expect good things so I am happy with the gamble.
I still consider the SG stuff closer to hobby grade and I know thats not what a lot of us are looking for. The market needs something closer to mil spec at the minimum and I have high hopes for the IS stuff. I hope im not proven wrong.
View Quote

Truly if IS could scale up production and keep QC high at roughly his current price point he'd dominate the LAM market.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

Truly if IS could scale up production and keep QC high at roughly his current price point he'd dominate the LAM market.
View Quote

I believe this as well. I told him I wish he was US based and doing something similar, he'd be sold out every re-stock. If he at least had consistent logistics and lead times it would be near-perfect assuming LAM quality is as expected.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Well guys here is where you get into this hand-crafted by one guy, vs production line thing.  In many cases, you pick one or the other.  Yes indeed, the trick is to scale up your one-man custom shop and have the same quality as your single master-craftsman.  Easy say, hard do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#23]
If he was conus I'm fairly sure he'd have gotten some sort of letter by now.

The IS stuff defineyl looks good from the one unit that was post led on reddit like a month ago. The heart wants the SG version yo be just as good at 1/2 the price. If anything the two companies should team up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

@akoch31 - have you had a chance to compare the two units?

And just for my clarification, these are IS units?
View Quote

Yes. Both were from IS. Both are great quality with tactile adjustments. I will say the NGAL feels better and definitely looks better with the VCSEL vs edge based illuminator.

They're equal brightness and build quality otherwise
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AKoch31:

Yes. Both were from IS. Both are great quality with tactile adjustments. I will say the NGAL feels better and definitely looks better with the VCSEL vs edge based illuminator.

They're equal brightness and build quality otherwise
View Quote

I might have skipped over it as I read that email above at 0445 hours in the morning.  When did he move his illuminators over to VCSEL tech?  If so, that's a pretty awesome change.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

I might have skipped over it as I read that email above at 0445 hours in the morning.  When did he move his illuminators over to VCSEL tech?  If so, that's a pretty awesome change.
View Quote

The NGAL has always been advertised as VCSEL, the PEQ is not
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Well guys here is where you get into this hand-crafted by one guy, vs production line thing.  In many cases, you pick one or the other.  Yes indeed, the trick is to scale up your one-man custom shop and have the same quality as your single master-craftsman.  Easy say, hard do.
View Quote

Oh yeah I know it's actually a struggle to scale up while maintaining qc, but I like to fantasize!
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Order from paragon armory. Just got shipping notice for another uhp green/tan potted that I ordered back on May 26th.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#30]
So..... Any of you gotten an update from Invisible Sight? I am still waiting for my order which was supposed to ship July, and well, it's almost August.
November and counting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Just that update email awhile back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:56:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuy01] [#33]
So..... Any of you gotten an update from Invisible Sight? I am still waiting for my order which was supposed to ship July, and well, it's almost August.
November and counting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
November and counting.

Me:

Are you still on track to ship mine out at the end of the month?

Him:

That's my plan, doing the best I can.
Should be able to start shipping by the end of the month.
I try to get everybody the latest smooth surface finished housing version shipped.
It should be here next week.
I have a sample here already, I'll send a picture of it tomorrow.
So you can see the quality is a lot better, those letter markings are sharp and detailed.
This new mould cost me 30k USD.

I suspect he's not being 100% truthful so we'll see. I'm going to ask for another update in two weeks if nothing shipped. I did not receive a follow-on picture.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#34]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:

Me:

Him:

I suspect he's not being 100% truthful so we'll see. I'm going to ask for another update in two weeks if nothing shipped. I did not receive a follow-on picture.
View Quote

Lol and our wait continues.
Better be the best LAM ive ever used at this rate.
I could of gotten 2 more FP peqs or an LA5 and be done with it
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Hi,

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the delay caused.
I just got the new housing in, see picture, the quality is impeccable.
In some parts better than the original l3 NGAL.
Note the housing still need cnc finished with drilling and threading.
I'm trying to get all orders shipped with this new housing and improvements.

I'll start shipping this week.
There are a few customers who have ordered before you.
So, expect within 2 weeks to get yours shipped.
If you want the full refund, that is possible.
Don't worry about it, you can have full refunds if you want to.
Just let me know.

Thanks
jx

He also sent me two photos of the new housing. It looks fantastic (if true). I told him I'm doing a charge back if I don't see tracking by 8/14.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Here you go sir. Fingers crossed those first few customers get tracking in the upcoming week!

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#39]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
I am really tempted by the price point of the Somogear but I just don't like the hit-and-miss reviews. I would be mounting it on an AK, which is not the most accurate thing with factory ammo but I don't want to be chasing a wondering zero between the platform and the laser.
View Quote

I have a SOMO-15 on a PSA AK101 via an SLR rail. I have ~150rds on it and it doesn't appear to have lost zero.

The only issue I've run into is the SOMO remote switch keeps coming out of the port in the back of unit. I haven't tried a legit tape switch to see if it's the male plug on the SOMO switch or the female port on the unit, but I plan to do that eventually.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I have a SOMO-15 on a PSA AK101 via an SLR rail. I have ~150rds on it and it doesn't appear to have lost zero.

The only issue I've run into is the SOMO remote switch keeps coming out of the port in the back of unit. I haven't tried a legit tape switch to see if it's the male plug on the SOMO switch or the female port on the unit, but I plan to do that eventually.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
I am really tempted by the price point of the Somogear but I just don't like the hit-and-miss reviews. I would be mounting it on an AK, which is not the most accurate thing with factory ammo but I don't want to be chasing a wondering zero between the platform and the laser.

I noticed that the SOMO switch had a habit of sometimes backing out of the port. I have both the legit tape and pushbutton switch from a PEQ2 and it definitely holds tighter, especially if you insert it and twist it a half turn and back several times.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#41]
A genuine Peq 15 switch solved the problem of the connector backing out on the somo for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I see what you did there.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jrpett:

I noticed that the SOMO switch had a habit of sometimes backing out of the port. I have both the legit tape and pushbutton switch from a PEQ2 and it definitely holds tighter, especially if you insert it and twist it a half turn and back several times.
View Quote

Originally Posted By kilroymcb:
A genuine Peq 15 switch solved the problem of the connector backing out on the somo for me.
View Quote

Thanks, gents. I'll give a legit AXON or Hot Button a try and see if they do better in the SOMO-15.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah the legacy switches are not quite up to par, although the newer ones have improved.  Using an after-market switch with it is small price to pay, I think.

Invisible Sight just sent out another email blast saying the logjam is getting ready to break.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah the legacy switches are not quite up to par, although the newer ones have improved.  Using an after-market switch with it is small price to pay, I think.

Invisible Sight just sent out another email blast saying the logjam is getting ready to break.  

View Quote

@Diz - do you recall how you got on their email list? I thought I was but appears that isn’t the case. I have an account from past purchases but not seeing anything to subscribe to a ‘newsletter’ or other.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I stopped replying to his emails now that we are "close" to completion I dont want him to rush my units lol. I did not wait 8 months just to warranty them. I decided if any of my units fail I am just gonna sell them as-is and pick up some L3 FP stuff again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I think if you just send the guy an email and say hello how's it going, you get back on the skyline.

My buddy has had zero issues with his so I'm hoping we will all be OK here.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 2:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cajer] [#48]

View Quote

What did he say this time around?  I've been waiting 2 years for mine... and didn't get this latest email.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#49]
He said his goal is to get caught up by September.  Lots of things that got in his way and he's trying to push through it all.  I did not take this as an excuse, but rather an explanation of why it takes so long.  Having been in this position myself I can sympathize; others cannot.  Guess it just depends.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top