BCM
User Panel

CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 19 of 21)
Page / 21
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wavebywave:
I noticed the same with weight - my ti cat cans were slightly lighter than originally listed; however, my 718 ODB was 1.2 oz heavier than the published weight.
View Quote

Same with the Ti. I haven't gotten around to weighing our 718 stuff but the Ti ODB I have was 195 grams. That's 6.878oz. Weight listed on their site is 8.8oz. Did they forget to shake out the let over ti powder?

The 2nd odb ti that is my co workers weighs in at 10 grams heavier than mine (i still have not shot mine). This was shot at our suppressor event a week or two ago and probably has 200ish rounds of subs through it. Here's the problem: we never weighed his brand new.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. Useful, decent looking, competitive prices.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Since we have a dedicated CAT thread... We are now selling CAT muzzle devices and HUB adapters.

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/?_sft_product_brand=combat-application-technologies
View Quote

Any plans to stock their suppressors?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 4:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
My backorder for a CAT ODB 718 HUB from SS was filled 6/17, back order was from 4/24

Must have been a small batch that came in because I didn't see them come back in stock at SS
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone have first hand reports or time behind the Alleycat Ti cans? ODB or WB, don't really care.

I want to toss one of these on an SBR and the listed temp threshold (800F) would allow for fairly hard use...but I can't shake the conventional wisdom "Ti = no bueno for hard use".

To be clear I wouldn't be dumping magazines into the berm or FA. But it needs to survive bill drills and whatnot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 1:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dblazevich] [#8]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
Does anyone have first hand reports or time behind the Alleycat Ti cans? ODB or WB, don't really care.

I want to toss one of these on an SBR and the listed temp threshold (800F) would allow for fairly hard use...but I can't shake the conventional wisdom "Ti = no bueno for hard use".

To be clear I wouldn't be dumping magazines into the berm or FA. But it needs to survive bill drills and whatnot.
View Quote

EDIT: I'm wrong, read posts below

If I recall correctly, someone on Reddit said it took just 45/50 rounds at a steady, fast pace to reach the 800deg temp limit, but then it cooled fairly quickly after that

In my opinion, the only time I need to shoot that much *might be once in a while at a competition. I can structure my drills to not reach that. So to me, the weight savings are worth the limitation. Compare that to your training schedule and see if it works or not

When I think "hard use" I'm thinking like... Firefights/mag dumps, which isn't what I'm doing so I don't worry about it
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dblazevich:

If I recall correctly, someone on Reddit said it took just 45/50 rounds at a steady, fast pace to reach the 800deg temp limit, but then it cooled fairly quickly after that

In my opinion, the only time I need to shoot that much *might be once in a while at a competition. I can structure my drills to not reach that. So to me, the weight savings are worth the limitation. Compare that to your training schedule and see if it works or not

When I think "hard use" I'm thinking like... Firefights/mag dumps, which isn't what I'm doing so I don't worry about it
View Quote

The titanium ones hit their heat limit in maybe 10-15 rounds. Mr Recce, Alabama Arsenal, and another channel that escapes my memory right now have videos on it. No idea about the inconel.

They heat up so fast that it has even made me wonder how the Mob would handle full auto.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
well i just got the permission slip for my ODB ti. too bad my foot is going to be fucked up for another week or so.

ive already shot it outdoors, so i know its quiet (spoiler alert, its quieter than a hyperion on a rattler); but we shot it when it was really windy.

ill try to get a video when i go out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got both the titanium and Inconel Alley Cat's.  The Inconel is on a 12" LMT. and the Ti is on an 11.5" MCX.  My thermometer gun is already packed in my range bag, but it's going to be July, before I get to the range and collect some data.  

Piece of Mind has posted some stuff that leads me to believe the Ti versions can take plenty of shooting.  They have a Ti Alley Cat with over 6K rounds now.  They claim mostly demo shoot time, and the blast baffle looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:50:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#12]
Appreciate the feedback from everyone. It's a tough call and I'd happily get an inconcel Alleycat if they were around.

I did several drills in a row yesterday with my OCM5 (also a Ti baffle can) on a 12" bbl. Not intentionally abusive but a rapid rate of fire with no meaningful time to cool down. I saw a max temp of 650F after 20ish rounds. Different can, hardly scientific...But I think the Alleycat Ti can handle "normal" aggressive firing so long as it doesn't stray into abusive.

ETA: disregard what I just said about the OCM5. I'm an idiot
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#13]
Appreciate the feedback from everyone. It's a tough call and I'd happily get an inconcel Alleycat if they were around.

I did several drills in a row yesterday with my OCM5 (also a Ti baffle can) on a 12" bbl. Not intentionally abusive but a rapid rate of fire with no meaningful time to cool down. I saw a max temp of 650F after 20ish rounds. Different can, hardly scientific...But I think the Alleycat Ti can handle "normal" aggressive firing so long as it doesn't stray into abusive.
View Quote

OCM5 doesn’t have Ti baffles, but a Ti outer tube chassis around a stainless core. It’s also much heavier, roughly twice the mass. With that said, I’m sure the Ti CAT would be fine with light to moderate volume use. They claim it’s good for up to 30 rounds per minute in the manual.

With the shorter wait times and the Ti being more available than the Inconel, I guess we’ll hear about it soon if it doesn’t work out. Hopefully it’ll be fine. The mount is a stainless brake, right? Like with the Trash Panda?
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:44:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#14]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

OCM5 doesn't have Ti baffles, but a Ti outer tube chassis around a stainless core. It's also much heavier, roughly twice the mass. With that said, I'm sure the Ti CAT would be fine with light to moderate volume use. They claim it's good for up to 30 rounds per minute in the manual.

With the shorter wait times and the Ti being more available than the Inconel, I guess we'll hear about it soon if it doesn't work out. Hopefully it'll be fine. The mount is a stainless brake, right? Like with the Trash Panda?
View Quote
Long day at the office, you are absolutely correct.

I think I'm gonna send it. $1,100 is expensive but not eye watering for a can. Worst case, I'll have a really quiet can for the long(er) rigs that don't get beat on. The flash hider is steel I believe.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I think I'm gonna send it. $1,100 is expensive but not eye watering for a can. Worst case, I'll have a really quiet can for the long(er) rigs that don't get beat on. The flash hider is steel I believe.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/487230/1000007969_jpg-3244859.JPG
View Quote

I wonder why the Ti Alley Cat has a higher temp rating than some other Ti CAT cans?

“TITANIUM Ti6AI4V
C.A.T Old Dirty Bastard (ODB) Titanium 7.62x39mm suppressors are limited to barrel lengths of 10" or longer. Full Auto or High Rates of Fire (HRF) (greater than 30 rounds per minute) are expressly discouraged, unless in life threatening self-defense situations, as the ODB Titanium is a lightweight, high performance suppressor dedicated to Low Rates of Fire (LRF), and the user should not exceed a maximum service temperature of approximately 650°F (343°C). Once this temperature threshold is reached, the suppressor should be allowed to cool down. Titanium Ti6AI4V has inherent material properties which give the material a lower heat conductivity rating, and the suppressor is susceptible to particle erosion and melting past this temperature limit. If the user notices discoloration on the exterior discontinue use and allow it to cool down. Do not dip the suppressor in water in an attempt to cool it down.
C.A.T recommends ODB Titanium users invest in an infrared thermometer and create their own platform specific firing schedule, based on ammunition and barrel length. It is recommended to create this firing schedule by shooting five round groups, with one second intervals between rounds, then testing the temperature of the suppressor up to 550°F (288°C). At this operating temperature, the user should record the amount of time until the suppressor returns to 150°F (65°C). This would become the baseline firing schedule based on the user’s platform and ammunition type.”

“TITANIUM Ti6AI4V
C.A.T White Bread (WB) Titanium 5.56mm suppressors are limited to barrel lengths of 10" or longer, which also includes similar cartridges such as 5.45mm. Full Auto or High Rates of Fire (HRF) (greater than 30 rounds per minute) are expressly discouraged, unless in life threatening self-defense situations, as the WB Titanium is a super lightweight, high performance suppressor dedicated to Low Rates of Fire (LRF), and the user should not exceed a maximum service temperature of approximately 650°F (343°C). Once this temperature threshold is reached, the suppressor should be allowed to cool down. Titanium Ti6AI4V has inherent material properties which give the material a lower heat conductivity rating, and the suppressor is susceptible to particle erosion and melting past this temperature limit. If the user notices discoloration on the exterior discontinue use and allow it to cool down. Do not dip the suppressor in water in an attempt to cool it down.
C.A.T recommends WB Titanium users invest in an infrared thermometer and create their own platform specific firing schedule, based on ammunition and barrel length. It is recommended to create this firing schedule by shooting five round groups, with one second intervals between rounds, then testing the temperature of the suppressor up to 550°F (288°C). At this operating temperature, the user should record the amount of time until the suppressor returns to 150°F (65°C). This would become the baseline firing schedule based on the user’s platform and ammunition type.”

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Could be differences in thickness at key locations that heat up first. If the metal gets weaker with heat, then making it much stronger at room temp by beefing it up adds safety margin. Also adds some heat capacity. Trade off with additive manufacturing is some added cost as well as weight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Back ordered a JL 718 hub 6-12-24, will update when ships.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/487230/1000007969_jpg-3244859.JPG
View Quote
I got cold feet on using Ti hard. Found an inconcel Alley Cat 556, just waiting on the Form 3. More to come once I get my hands on it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By peachy:

I wonder why the Ti Alley Cat has a higher temp rating than some other Ti CAT cans?

View Quote

because theres more meat inside the can. alleycat stuff is marketed towards LEO/MIL.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:57:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: majestic12] [#20]
Just picked up my WB 718 hub mount.

Bare core weighs 15.3 oz. 2.5 oz over advertised max weight.

I think it's in the outside wall.  In other pics you can see the ridges from the spiral venting. Not visible on my can.

Not sure how I feel about the added weight. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. So no comment on back pressure or sound. Should be an upgrade for both over the saker it's replacing.

The SR22 A1 is 2.8 without end cap. 3 oz with it included. Definitely happy with this can.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#21]
CAT White Bread vs HuxWrx Flow 556k
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Took my CAT WB 718( 556 Midlength) and ODB 718( 30cal midlength meant for intermediate cartridges)home today. I was curious if these were over bored at all so I did a drill but test to get a rough idea.

Tl;dr they're not over bored

The WB would fit a .2812 through the flash hider but a .2969 did not fit. In the back a  .26 did not fit but a .25 did

Odb .3593 did fit .375 did not fit, both ends.

Test isn't perfect but it gives enough info to say these aren't massively over bored.

Also tossed my scope in it but did see anything interesting because it's only a front facing cam and the head size is like .3, doesn't leave much room to look around.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I don’t know how I missed this, but CAT added a section to their website discussing their different technologies and describing how they work. Kind of interesting stuff.

Link
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gtscotty] [#24]
Has anyone heard directly from CAT that the ODB is rated for any .30 cal cartridges larger than the 7.62x39 ( e.g. .308 win, .30-06, .300 WM)?

I can't remember the last time I saw a .30 cal can that wasn't rated for at least .308, but a poster on the hide put the question to CAT and in their response they seemed to indicate that it is a niche can made for the cartridges they state. Looking through their kind of crappy website, and sure enough they only mention 7.62x39 and even refer to it as a 7.62x39 can.

Don't know how I missed that bit of info until recently, I was thinking about getting one to use on my SFAR, but it doesn't sound like it rated for .308 use.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
I don’t know how I missed this, but CAT added a section to their website discussing their different technologies and describing how they work. Kind of interesting stuff.

Link
View Quote
Says it has technologies that help stabilize projectiles…..
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gtscotty:
Has anyone heard directly from CAT that the ODB is rated for any .30 cal cartridges larger than the 7.62x39 ( e.g. .308 win, .30-06, .300 WM)?

I can't remember the last time I saw a .30 cal can that wasn't rated for at least .308, but a poster on the hide put the question to CAT and in their response they seemed to indicate that it is a niche can made for the cartridges they state. Looking through their kind of crappy website, and sure enough they only mention 7.62x39 and even refer to it as a 7.62x39 can.

Don't know how I missed that bit of info until recently, I was thinking about getting one to use on my SFAR, but it doesn't sound like it rated for .308 use.
View Quote

I did a 3 mag dump with the odb on a 13 inch 308 and it held up fine.

Cat seems to have a hard on for the idea of cartridge specific Silencers. Like the ODB being a 7.62x39/300blk supers can, people are going to use that on 308 etc but in CATs mind it's not optimized for that.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By The_Sugar_Weasel:
Cat seems to have a hard on for the idea of cartridge specific Silencers. Like the ODB being a 7.62x39/300blk supers can, people are going to use that on 308 etc but in CATs mind it's not optimized for that.

View Quote
I can see some logic in that. They wouldn’t be the first company to see things that way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By The_Sugar_Weasel:

I did a 3 mag dump with the odb on a 13 inch 308 and it held up fine.

View Quote

I'm guessing you have the 718 version.  How did it sound on 308?  Have any comparisons to other silencers?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By emccracken:

I'm guessing you have the 718 version.  How did it sound on 308?  Have any comparisons to other silencers?
View Quote

So far ill say the ODB sounds a little better than my Flow 762 ti on the scar but also had a little more back pressure. It was very close.

But the ODB does sound a decent bit better than the flow on 300blk subs and 5.56. All I've really done so far.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#30]
The ODB is a phenomenal can.    Went shooting this weekend with a friend and we used it on multiple platforms and calibers.    I am very impressed.

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By zentradi:
The ODB is a phenomenal can.    Went shooting this weekend with a friend and we used it on multiple platforms and calibers.    I am very impressed.

View Quote

What chamberings did you try it on this weekend?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By zentradi:

View Quote

Yep. It's the most impressive 30 cal can I've shot to date for 300blk

It truly is in a class of its own.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#33]
WB 718 that lives on a 11.5 spear rental. I think it's gained 20 to 30 grams. I have no idea on round count but it's been on the gun since the last week of May. It probably gets rented every day atleast once.

We soaked it in the breakthrough cleaner for 12 to 18ish hours. I wanted a baseline with no ultrasonic and it didn't seem to do much. So I had my gunsmith toss it in the ultrasonic for an hour or two right as I left today. I have to work tomorrow so if I have time I'll check the weight.

Cat continues to deliver.

Edit:
It's been in the ultrasonic for a couple of hours.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#34]
What's the difference between the WB and the Alley Cat cans?
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
View Quote

I believe they stated something like outer wall thickness and coating since the Alley Cat is considered the LEO model. Same internals from what I understand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#36]

I believe they stated something like outer wall thickness and coating since the Alley Cat is considered the LEO model. Same internals from what I understand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for that. I'll do some more research since the Alley Cats are in stock and WBs aren't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Thicker construction. One more baffle. And only offered in their QD system.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone tried a MOB on an HK SP5?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I haven't seen much love for the JL - any reason for that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

Thicker construction. One more baffle. And only offered in their QD system.
View Quote

@Mesooohoppy where does it say the Alley Cat has an extra baffle compared to the WB?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By contax_shooter:

@Mesooohoppy where does it say the Alley Cat has an extra baffle compared to the WB?
View Quote

My cgs rep.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#42]
So if it has an extra baffle then shouldn't it be better than the regular WB? Quiter/blowback.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone know of a place to get a WB 718 hub at?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wavebywave] [#44]
Originally Posted By KBar15:
Anyone tried a MOB on an HK SP5?
View Quote

Not a SP5 yet but it's phenomenal on my MPX-K.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#45]
Alleycat 5.56 Inconcel blast baffle for anyone interested. I'll weigh it shortly, it's a chonk
Attachment Attached File

ETA 18.8oz without mount
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By wavebywave:

Not a SP5 yet but it's phenomenal on my MPX-K.
View Quote

Thanks....let me know if you hear anything about one on the HK
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Alleycat 5.56 Inconcel blast baffle for anyone interested. I'll weigh it shortly, it's a chonk
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/487230/1000008447_jpg-3275930.JPG

ETA 18.8oz without mount
View Quote

Weird it's list at 16.6 0z
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 10:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: india13c] [#48]

View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/487230/1000008447_jpg-3275930.JPG

ETA 18.8oz without mount

That is stupid heavy.  All of the CAT cans I have seen in person are all weighing in at 1-2 oz heavier than advertised.  I’d love to know why, but everyone seems to not care.  I’d just like to know why they’re so far off advertised weights.  I don’t think that’s a good sign of quality manufacturing, but again, no one I talk to seems to care they can’t adhere to their own specs.

Edit to clarify all of the ones I referencing have been inconel.  I’ve seen quite a few people say their TI ones are actually lighter than advertised.  Just odd.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By india13c:
That is stupid heavy.  All of the CAT cans I have seen in person are all weighing in at 1-2 oz heavier than advertised.  I’d love to know why, but everyone seems to not care.  
View Quote

My odb ti was a couple of ounces lighter than what was advertised on their site. My buddies was the same thing as well.

Not sure how or what they're using to get these numbers, but they definitely don't match what people have in their hands.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#50]

My odb ti was a couple of ounces lighter than what was advertised on their site. My buddies was the same thing as well.

Not sure how or what they're using to get these numbers, but they definitely don't match what people have in their hands.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By india13c:
That is stupid heavy.  All of the CAT cans I have seen in person are all weighing in at 1-2 oz heavier than advertised.  I'd love to know why, but everyone seems to not care.  

One opinion and one fact that I learned about 20 minutes ago

Opinion: I'm used to an RC2 and YHM Turbo 1 that are both 19+ OZ after many thousands of rounds. I don't like extra weight but it's acceptable to me.

Fact: Per CAT my particular can is actually a .mil-specific version of the Alleycat that was accidentally shipped out in "normal" Alleycat and WB718 packaging. They had a small run with this mishap and mine falls in that group based on serial # confirmation. The extra weight is mostly in the blast baffle, which is visibly thicker than say a WB. Per them it's not a dramatic change vs the Alleycat line, which is already beefed up...but this is literally the toughest can they make for anyone. A happy accident in my opinion
Page / 21
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 19 of 21)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top