User Panel

Site Notices
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 20 of 21)
Page / 21
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By india13c:

That is stupid heavy.  All of the CAT cans I have seen in person are all weighing in at 1-2 oz heavier than advertised.  I’d love to know why, but everyone seems to not care.  I’d just like to know why they’re so far off advertised weights.  I don’t think that’s a good sign of quality manufacturing, but again, no one I talk to seems to care they can’t adhere to their own specs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is stupid heavy.  All of the CAT cans I have seen in person are all weighing in at 1-2 oz heavier than advertised.  I’d love to know why, but everyone seems to not care.  I’d just like to know why they’re so far off advertised weights.  I don’t think that’s a good sign of quality manufacturing, but again, no one I talk to seems to care they can’t adhere to their own specs.

This seems to be a trend with CAT, so far 100% of the measured can pics I can find on reddit show its almost 2oz heavier than advertised. Several industry heads have chimed in stating the manufacturing process can't (or at least shouldn't) explain the large differences seen between advertised and actual, so it would seem the advertised weights are just wrong?

Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

My odb ti was a couple of ounces lighter than what was advertised on their site. My buddies was the same thing as well.

I'd love to get pics of that, this would be the first time I have seen a claim theirs was lighter that I know of.
Edit: Nevermind, I just realized you said Ti
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll put my 718 odb on the scale tonight, its got probably 800-1000 rounds down it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:
I haven't seen much love for the JL - any reason for that?
View Quote

I’m curious about this one as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By adavis:

View Quote

I think it's because long Silencers are typically just less popular.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By optoisolator:
I haven't seen much love for the JL - any reason for that?

I'd guess it's because it is designed to be a bolt gun suppressor and it isn't any quieter at the muzzle than a Hyperion/Nomad L/Hydrogen L.  The craze is low backpressure, and the JL wasn't designed to be a low BP can.  So why pay $400 more for a can that doesn't do anything better than existing and established 30 cal long cans?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
Alleycat 5.56 Inconcel blast baffle
ETA 18.8oz without mount
View Quote

lol yikes
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

lol yikes
View Quote
See the context I added later - it's a .mil-specific variant that accidentally shipped out in a small batch. So I'm absolutely calling it good...I'm used to RC2 weight, it's not the end of the world

No question it's a chonk though. Not a hunting can.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By emccracken:

I'd guess it's because it is designed to be a bolt gun suppressor and it isn't any quieter at the muzzle than a Hyperion/Nomad L/Hydrogen L.  The craze is low backpressure, and the JL wasn't designed to be a low BP can.  So why pay $400 more for a can that doesn't do anything better than existing and established 30 cal long cans?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By emccracken:

A quick look at stats and feedback shows it has comparable muzzle suppression and still less backpressure if one wanted to use it for a semi-auto application. Is that worth $400 more than a Nomad L? As always, it depends.

See the context I added later - it's a .mil-specific variant that accidentally shipped out in a small batch. So I'm absolutely calling it good...I'm used to RC2 weight, it's not the end of the world

Yep, it's commensurate with other suppressors that are made for specific mil tests, the KAC QDC/CRS-PRT, CGS SCI-SIX and SureFire RC2/3.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:21:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: india13c] [#10]
While that may be true, that one off explanation doesn't account for the fact that they still can't stay within their own specs for every inconel one I've handled and heard of on the internet, and it sounds like I'm not alone.

Also, even if that is true, how much thicker does a blast baffle have to be to add a whole 2 oz and then some anyway?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#11]
While that may be true, that one off explanation doesn't account for the fact that they still can't stay within their own specs for every inconel one I've handled and heard of on the internet, and it sounds like I'm not alone.

Also, even if that is true, how much thicker does a blast baffle have to be to add a whole 2 oz and then some anyway?
View Quote
Specific to my can it's the actual blast baffle and the surrounding blast chamber walls/geometry that's been reinforced specifically to excel at the SURG testing regime. That's more or less a copy paste of the answer I got. There are a few dozen that made it out the door in this configuration so it's a bit of a cool unicorn. There's an external, visual tell for that small batch of cans out in the wild. I guess it's possible they're just lying but I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.

Point taken and agreed on the broader weight question though. Pick any random can of theirs and it seems the spec'd vs actual weights are just not lining up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Specific to my can it's the actual blast baffle and the surrounding blast chamber walls/geometry that's been reinforced specifically to excel at the SURG testing regime. That's more or less a copy paste of the answer I got. There are a few dozen that made it out the door in this configuration so it's a bit of a cool unicorn. There's an external, visual tell for that small batch of cans out in the wild. I guess it's possible they're just lying but I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.

Point taken and agreed on the broader weight question though. Pick any random can of theirs and it seems the spec'd vs actual weights are just not lining up.
View Quote

Oh ok, that makes more sense, I guess I misunderstood.  That definitely accounts more for that added weight than just a blast baffle!  I’m not fully knocking these things to be clear.  I’ve been slowly warming to them the more great things I’ve heard and I really want a WB now.  I just wish I could find one that was in their spec.  I guess one that’s a little heavier is a “good” thing with added durability maybe.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Who has the MOB (hub version) in stock?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been watching for several months and have my email set up for in stock notifications for a WB. I have no idea where people are buying these things.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tug153:
I have been watching for several months and have my email set up for in stock notifications for a WB. I have no idea where people are buying these things.
View Quote

Just call SS and place a backorder for the version you want.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone else see the Dirty Dave specs?

I am thinking a DD HUB 718 at 16 oz and under 6” is the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Sugar_Weasel] [#17]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
Anyone else see the Dirty Dave specs?

I am thinking a DD HUB 718 at 16 oz and under 6” is the ticket.
View Quote

Edited

They have it posed on their story rn. The it seems a little bit shorter than the odb. I'd say ~16 oz and 6 inches is pretty close
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Exactly this. Silencer Shop is the only distributor for CAT silencers, that's where the dealers that sell them are getting them too.
View Quote
If that’s the case, then how do some sell the AlleyCat line which SS doesn’t carry?
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Exactly this. Silencer Shop is the only distributor for CAT silencers, that's where the dealers that sell them are getting them too.
View Quote

Not true my fellow firearms enthusiast.

https://pomg.com/home
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 3:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NewWind] [#22]
Some pretty impressive claims CAT is making about their 2025 release, "Kitty Kat", which will be a sub 5" suppressor. Lower sound performance than a WB and made in one of the space age materials they've been teasing. Sound like similar weight to Ti, much more durable (but maybe not to the extent that inconel is?) and getting rid of the sparking issue with Ti.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NewWind:
Some pretty impressive claims CAT is making about their 2025 release, "Kitty Kat", which will be a sub 5" suppressor. Lower sound performance than a WB and made in one of the space age materials they've been teasing. Sound like similar weight to Ti, much more durable (but maybe not to the extent that inconel is?) and getting rid of the sparking issue with Ti.
View Quote

Source?

That's highly interesting to me - I'm constantly looking for small, "takes the edge off" suppressors that are lightweight, and there aren't a whole lot of options that check all these boxes

Link Posted: 8/5/2024 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Their Instagram page.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 7:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#25]
Originally Posted By dblazevich:

Source?

That's highly interesting to me - I'm constantly looking for small, "takes the edge off" suppressors that are lightweight, and there aren't a whole lot of options that check all these boxes

View Quote

Rex Silentium will sell you a custom 3-baffle can that’s 4.1” without mount. In .224 guise, it sounds significantly better than a Sandman K, and is very lightweight. Dunno how it’d compare to the CAT, but that’s the shortest I’ve tried so far. Exceptionally cheap, too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes

"Lower sound performance" is an odd way of phrasing that. Is that saying it will lower the dB more or have worse overall dB lowering properties?
Shouldn't be hard to find out what material they are talking about, the amount of DMLS capable alloys that can be ordered from a distributer aren't extensive.

Originally Posted By dblazevich:
Source?

Look at the B&T Rotex 556 Mini-K.
Inconel construction that is 4.1" long and 5.7oz naked, Charlie HUB for $750. With a Reardon Atlas and muzzle device it becomes 9.8oz and only 4.6". One of the few traditional cans I would still recommend, especially if you want to go as short and light as possible. I got one about 4-5 months ago and swapped one of my Block II clones to use it and was very impressed. It seemed, to me, to be on par with the Mini2 in sound and NV performance, but clocking in at half the damn weight. I was impressed enough that I have been hunting all over to find a 2nd one but have had zero luck, even on GunBroker. A few days ago B&T announced they are releasing an updated DMLS version of these cans at the same metrics AND same cost.

Alternative for flowthrough is the B&T Rotex SRBS Compact. Also Inconel, 5.6" long and 11.4oz naked, Charlie HUB for $950. Comes out to 6.1" and 15.1oz with Reardon Atlas combo. This makes it the same weight as the Flow556k at 0.5" longer, but full Inconel at under $1k which is impressive.

Or you could look at the Velok556K which with a Reardon combo comes out to 4.9" long and 16.6oz. The full size Velos is heavy, but man does that thing delete flash just as well as the WB. If the 556K performs as well as its full sized brother, it would be a fantastic choice. Sadly there is still no footage that I have been able to find of it being used under NV.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tug153:
Their Instagram page.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/158191/1000003723_jpg-3286705.JPG
View Quote

I'm hyped to see how this new material shakes out

I do wish CAT would just print some in 17-4 though. It'd probably give you the lighter than inconel but much stronger than Ti properties that people are looking for.

But also be cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome!

I don't mag dump, so I don't need the inconel, but the Ti seems to heat up just too fast for my needs. So having something, short and light with better thermal capabilities will really fit the bill.

Sounds like I need to turn Instagram back on to keep up with the latest and greatest
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By The_Sugar_Weasel:

I'm hyped to see how this new material shakes out

I do wish CAT would just print some in 17-4 though. It'd probably give you the lighter than inconel but much stronger than Ti properties that people are looking for.

But also be cheaper.
View Quote

This would be great. I don't need inconel, but the TI seems not quite durable enough.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

"Lower sound performance" is an odd way of phrasing that. Is that saying it will lower the dB more or have worse overall dB lowering properties?
Shouldn't be hard to find out what material they are talking about, the amount of DMLS capable alloys that can be ordered from a distributer aren't extensive.
View Quote

"Lower sound performance" did mean "worse overall DB lowering properties".

I'm not sure how hard it would be to figure out what material they're using. They're calling it "REV 9". They do seem to be claiming that it's a "mixture" (??? I know nothing about dmls) that only their parent company uses, perhaps it's proprietary? Idk.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I don’t know anything about DMLS either, but I notice the previously claimed manufacturer offers this:

Maraging (tool) Steel (MS1) features excellent strength and mechanical properties. Its chemical composition corresponds to U.S. 18% Ni Maraging 300, European 1.2709 and German X3NiCoMoTi 18-9-5. After heat treatment, MS1 typically has a 50-53 HRC.

Which sounds similar to the lightweight material Energetic used for the lightweight ARX. That said, I also see the Instagram post above says “Titanium alloy”, so who knows??
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone ever figured out what military suppressors CAT purportedly makes?
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#33]

I'm not sure how hard it would be to figure out what material they're using. They're calling it "REV 9". They do seem to be claiming that it's a "mixture" (??? I know nothing about dmls) that only their parent company uses, perhaps it's proprietary? Idk.
View All Quotes

The effort and costs to create their own new proprietary alloy that is DMLS capable, I feel, would be hard to achieve without copying someone else's homework. Not necessarily terrible to copy something that works so long as they improve upon it. Either way we will be footing the bill for their R&D and costs of ordering unique blends.

Originally Posted By CJofFL:
I don’t know anything about DMLS either, but I notice the previously claimed manufacturer offers this:

Maraging (tool) Steel (MS1) features excellent strength and mechanical properties. Its chemical composition corresponds to U.S. 18% Ni Maraging 300, European 1.2709 and German X3NiCoMoTi 18-9-5. After heat treatment, MS1 typically has a 50-53 HRC.

Which sounds similar to the lightweight material Energetic used for the lightweight ARX. That said, I also see the Instagram post above says “Titanium alloy”, so who knows??

This is exactly what I was thinking of last night, it sounds a lot like what as used on the ARX but with Ti instead.

Originally Posted By peachy:

I still think it is a fantasy, the only info I think was shared was that it was a Euro company (I think). Unless they are some super Secret Squirrel company that only the world elite know of, the list of manufacturers isn't long.

My guess is Silent Steel Suppressors from Finland. They sell short flow through cans called "Streamers" and they make them in every caliber you can imagine, just like CAT seems to be doing.
From what I have heard from a couple youtubers, and Silent Steel themselves at EnforceTac, they have been wanting to enter the US market but can't due to EU and Finnish Law. Could explain why they are playing dumb with their origins. Setting up DMLS machines, while expensive, would be a lot easier to do than setting up a full machining shop to make suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 12:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#34]
Originally Posted By peachy:
View Quote
I know nothing about any links to EU contracts, manufacturing, etc.

I do know that they have a specific variant of the Alleycat line that was/is expressly designed for mil organizations. This was verified to me by CAT directly after a few dozen of them made it out into the wild by mistake. Confirmed via serial number and there is a visual "tell" as well.

Who buys them I haven't a clue so won't speculate.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 12:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#35]
I know nothing about any links to EU contracts, manufacturing, etc.

I do know that they have a specific variant of the Alleycat line that was/is expressly designed for mil organizations. This was verified to me by CAT directly after a few dozen of them made it out into the wild by mistake. Confirmed via serial number and there is a visual "tell" as well.

Who buys them I haven't a clue so won't speculate.
View Quote

"Shit, Carl, what do we do with these Blems?"

"Tell them they are super secret military models."

I can only imagine if you accidently leaked your shadow government contract suppressors to the open market there will be massive consequences. Still feels like a fantasy to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 1:56:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#36]

I can only imagine if you accidently leaked your shadow government contract suppressors to the open market there will be massive consequences. Still feels like a fantasy to me.
View Quote
At the end of the day I don't care if my can is some secret squirrel thing vs a "normal" Alleycat...the performance is outstanding and I didn't become of aware of what it is/is not until post-purchase. It wasn't advertised as anything unique.

Just sharing what they shared with me.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/6/2024 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Reminds me of the adage - “buy the gun, not the story.”

Also reminds me of Paul Howe, paraphrased  - “everybody gives their product to spec ops for testing, that way they can say spec ops is using their product…”
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Thinking about a hub mount MOB for my APC9 but I need a trilug mount - who makes the best one?
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
Thinking about a hub mount MOB for my APC9 but I need a trilug mount - who makes the best one?
View Quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/1d2zfup/best_hub_compatible_trilug_mount_that_actually/
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#40]
So PEW science says the ODB (7.62 variant) performs better than the WB even on a 5.56 SBR...

What exactly is the point of the WB then? Aside from saving a few ounces?

The 7.62 having a larger bore would probably give lower backpressure, and is obviously compatible with a lot more firearms.

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By hidaro:
So PEW science says the ODB (7.62 variant) performs better than the WB even on a 5.56 SBR...

What exactly is the point of the WB then? Aside from saving a few ounces?

The 7.62 having a larger bore would probably give lower backpressure, and is obviously compatible with a lot more firearms.

View Quote

Also 1.4" shorter.  Sometimes less length and weight matters more/has a higher priority than decibles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, looks like everyone skeptical of CAT's warranty are finally vindicated when someone used an ODB on their 6.5.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
Well, looks like everyone skeptical of CAT's warranty are finally vindicated when someone used an ODB on their 6.5.
View Quote

How are the skeptics vindicated?

They sent him a brand new can and are paying the cost of the new stamp....I wish every company had such a crappy warranty.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:

How are the skeptics vindicated?

They sent him a brand new can and are paying the cost of the new stamp....I wish every company had such a crappy warranty.
View Quote

I'm quite sure he's trying to be sarcastic.  If this is how their CS will be and not a one off, I'd be happy to be wrong as someone who was quite apprehensive of how they came off initially.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Well that’s an improvement from their original stated policy. Glad to be “wrong”.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I wish CAT could get more cans in circulation to distributor's and dealers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#47]
This.  I want a MOB for my SP5.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:18:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#48]
CAT was teasing their SC today (again). one of the cans im most excited for this year. jay was also hinting we are going to get data soon.

they were asking if we wanted a modular can, short only, or two pieces. i dont particularly care for modular stuff so id be after the long version (but would be more than happy with a modular version). CAT told me they're still on track for a Q3 release. they did also confirm it takes CGS pistons. i wonder if it will take std pattern pistons too (cgs has teased this in the past).
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
I wish CAT could get more cans in circulation to distributor's and dealers.
View Quote

Same. After using Capitol Armory for my last 12 cans, Silencer Shop is a huge let down.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 20 of 21)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top