Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Type7SOT:
Somehow I got this thing back together. I do NOT recommend taking this apart if you can avoid it!
View Quote

Nice Work Brother !

And NO - i myself am not going to even attempt it.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
A3 stock rails cut down. First step in converting them to reinforcing rails. These are very hard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490765/1000006760_jpg-3260807.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490765/1000006759_jpg-3260808.JPG
View Quote

Is this just to make the receiver more rigid? I assume the higher rate of fire takes a toll on the standard receiver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mah827:

Is this just to make the receiver more rigid? I assume the higher rate of fire takes a toll on the standard receiver.
View Quote

I assume so, I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. All variants of HK21's have the rails, and there are different styles. These kits would have the early teardrop style, which appears to be similar (maybe identical?) profile to a set of A3 stock rails. So thats what I'm making them out of.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mah827:

View Quote

I’ve always assumed for the extra rigidity and to keep the rollers from denting the rails. Now and then you’ll come across an HK roller lock with a bunch of dents in the rail from the inertia of the bolt slamming into the buffer and pushing the rollers out at the rear of the recoil stroke.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven’t been doing much with my kit. Ordered a PTR receiver this evening… need some receiver rails and I’m back to making some progress .
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#6]
Nevermind. Century is not currently taking orders.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
“It’s Happening…….”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Got the rails fitted

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#9]

Looking good. When’s the welding start? Don’t forget that ejection port is going to need opened up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#10]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
“It’s Happening…….”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_2459_png-3263622.JPG
View Quote

At that price, are those Cryo barrels CHF and true reproductions of the originals ?

Im betting they are.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I think they are + chrome lining. Also he is advertising they will ship with all the hardware which is significant.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#12]
They are. They're CHF and Chrome lined.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Looking good. When’s the welding start? Don’t forget that ejection port is going to need opened up.
View Quote

Today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#14]

Those welds look nice. Any tips for welding the reinforcing rail into place? Did you use a heat sink inside the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Those welds look nice. Any tips for welding the reinforcing rail into place? Did you use a heat sink inside the receiver?
View Quote

I work at a metal shop. I handed it to one of our welders and said "please weld this."

No heat sync, I suppose it might be a good idea to throw the bolt carrier in there to suck up some heat, but it seems to have worked fine without it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
That’s the way to do it right there. All my friends bring me their shit to weld on but I am really not a great welder. I’m actually kinda stalling because I’m just a bit nervous of dicking that part up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Fyi hk21 drums In stock at apex

Hk21 drum
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Is there different types of receivers besides flats? I talked to a builder and with a 4k labor fee, to have a german receiver made for my kit, it's an additional 2k for a G3 receiver.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:35:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#19]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_2464_png-3264200.JPG
View Quote

Outstanding !

Also UPDATE Atlantic more than came through with regards to my broken back plate and out of round triple frame.

They sent me what appears to be a BRAND NEW stock , back plate/cap and recoil rod. the paint looks mint.

And also a perfect Shroud !!!   (which i didnt even ask for and in fact said ill keep the one i have)

So far,,  Atlantic Firearms has been OUTSTANDING on Customer Service and replacement parts with regards to these kits

Pics of the parts they sent me later today when im not so *spent* - tired and spun out -  (Night shift Truck Driver)
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#20]
What is the best receiver to use on these?  I think PTR has their serial number on the top rib, but their maker info is on the mag well which gets cut off.  Is that ok / legal?  I read someplace, maybe WG that guys were bending their own flats so they didn't have to mess with the makers info deal.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Polycop:
What is the best receiver to use on these?  I think PTR has their serial number on the top rib, but their maker info is on the mag well which gets cut off.  Is that ok / legal?  I read someplace, maybe WG that guys were bending their own flats so they didn't have to mess with the makers info deal.

Thoughts?
View Quote

On title 1 firearms you can remove anything besides the serial number.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#22]
More motivation...

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Beautiful. What are the details on the E?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

View Quote

I honestly don't know much about it.  It's not mine.   It belongs to an FFL/SOT buddy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Got one of my kits hand cycling at this point
Real question is where to find a barrel /borrow a barrel from on short time preferences? Anyone with an old FMP barrel want to turn it into 2x cryostructure barrels?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 7insert:
Got one of my kits hand cycling at this point
Real question is where to find a barrel /borrow a barrel from on short time preferences? Anyone with an old FMP barrel want to turn it into 2x cryostructure barrels?
View Quote

Did you get in on the first batch of Cryostructure barrels? If so, I would just be patient and wait as they should be shipping in the next 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_2464_png-3264200.JPG
View Quote

Thanks, just ordered a pair without hardware.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Would a g3 picatinny mount go on these or would you need a specific type to fit properly?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Dirty_Robster:
Would a g3 picatinny mount go on these or would you need a specific type to fit properly?
View Quote

I dont see why not, its literally just a G3 receiver with the magwell cut off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:

Thanks, just ordered a pair without hardware.
View Quote

I ordered one complete and I’ll use my hardware on a RCM barrel when they’re released.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:46:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#33]
Time to get moving again on this. I want to have the receiver ready to weld the trunnion and shroud on by the time CryoStructure ships my barrel. Rails, ejection port expansion, and magwell chop are on the to-do list this week.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Thats what I was assuming, I just wanted to make sure. I saw bt and midwest for 100-200 under g3s on hkparts and when I went to hk21 I saw MM for like 400-800 lol.

I dont see why not, its literally just a G3 receiver with the magwell cut off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Get yourselves one of these!  Just got mine, it works amazing well!!

https://youtu.be/IEjyBuVyVEo?si=NJhKHzzfsUphpfv9
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Visiting family left today so I spent a few hours in the garage tinkering. Got the magwell cut off, feed box receiver remnants removed, and ejection port lip cut off (to be able to put on the feed box…I will trim the port back later). Still have some fine clean up work to do but rough fitting went well and everything is looking great so far. Feed ramp alignment looks good too. Not ready to start welding anything yet and still have a lot more work to do. Gotta trim back the cocking tube farther, drill holes for the trunnion welds, get the receiver reinforcing rails done up and welded in, and then go from there. Not welding on the shroud until I have the barrel on hand to ensure alignment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Rear sight base welded

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Any tips on getting the sight base welded on straight?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Any tips on getting the sight base welded on straight?
View Quote

I used a machinist vice with parallel jaws to hold it in place while I tack welded it, which made it perfectly level. One clamp jaw on the sight base, and one jaw on the bottom of the receiver.

Once tacked, I pulled it out the vice and handed it to my welder. He used a 3/4" OD aluminum round tube as a heat sync and went to town.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#40]

I used a machinist vice with parallel jaws to hold it in place while I tack welded it, which made it perfectly level. One clamp jaw on the sight base, and one jaw on the bottom of the receiver.

Once tacked, I pulled it out the vice and handed it to my welder. He used a 3/4" OD aluminum round tube as a heat sync and went to town.
View Quote

Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Rails arrived today. These are the ones RTG had before STS bought up their stock to convert for the same purpose. Got lost in the mail for a while and miraculously made it. Will be doing some surgery later tonight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#42]
More slow progress. Slowly trimmed back the cocking tube until the receiver bottomed out on the shroud inside the rear bipod mount. This has the trunnion seated exactly where it was originally before I removed it from the kit. Drilled my receiver holes for the four plug welds on each side. Cleaned up my cocking lever slot in the cocking tube a bit and finished some minor hand fitting. Still have to do the conversion on the stock arms into teardrop reinforcing rails…but I’m away for work this week so that will have to wait until this weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:13:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lightguy] [#43]
I have two kits.
One with HK bolt carrier and one with FMP.
The FMP carrier has fairly significant wear to the guide slot cut in the bottom.
HK bolt looks nice.

Contacted Centerfire but so far no response on their FMP carrier kit.

HK carrier kit was bought on GB.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I think well worn components are to be expected in these things. I did return one buttstock assy to CF and it was replaced with one that was completely destroyed, looks like it was run over by a tank. I figured, hey can't hurt to ask... but I probably should have just dealt with it. Not saying you shouldn't try but be aware it's just another roll of the dice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 5:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaska-Shooter] [#45]
I was looking through old Somalia pics I had.  Check out the two guns in the lower part of the pic.  These were confiscated guns taken by the Australians near Baidoa.

https://imgur.com/a/0TrlFMh
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 2:02:00 AM EDT
[#46]
More progress tonight. Trimmed the A3 stock rails and welded up the locking notch to make sure they’re as strong as possible. Still have one more to fit but the right side is done sans trimming it to length to close the gap. Still have to do the left side rail. Also tacked up the cracks on my lower housing at the rear tab.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 11:45:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#47]
Been busy so no real updated. Waiting on a barrel to proceed with the build. Have the reinforcing rails done. Everything is really straight right now. That will probably change when the welding starts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#48]

I got the straightening tools back from the machinist. I need to make some room in the shop to finish up a couple of recievers to see if these work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Wanna try to unfornicate the RTG flat I have? 🤣
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Wanna try to unfornicate the RTG flat I have? 🤣
View Quote

I have a stack of flats ready to be warped, melted, mangled, and whacked to refine my my ability to turn potentially useful stuff into scrap.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top