BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
This is an awesome thread.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet it gets a lot more awesome once the new 21 barrels start shipping.

RCM posted a pic of a bin of CHF blanks that had been profiled a couple weeks back. I think Cryostructures is at about the same stage I believe but theirs should be going out for chrome after.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know where to find one of these in stock? Or have a drawing?

https://hkparts.net/all-parts/hkp-semi-shelf-weldment-metal-grip-housing/
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Type7SOT:
Anyone know where to find one of these in stock? Or have a drawing?

https://hkparts.net/all-parts/hkp-semi-shelf-weldment-metal-grip-housing/
View Quote

Not sure…but the way the SEF lowers are cut at the front I think you could just use the trigger pack to interface with the semi shelf on the feed box.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:03:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Type7SOT] [#5]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Not sure…but the way the SEF lowers are cut at the front I think you could just use the trigger pack to interface with the semi shelf on the feed box.
View Quote

Thats what I thought too. But I'm at that point of the build and it appears you need this block in the trigger housing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As it stands, there is nearly 1/4" of up and down play in the front of the grip housing.

For reference:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d shim the trigger box personally, but that should be easy enough to make if you wanted. Sorry I can be more help. You’re a bit ahead of me. I was waiting on my semi trigger pack to arrive tomorrow before I kept going.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Heres how the plastic grip housings look, before and after clipping and pinning:

Attachment Attached File

This should demonstrate why that block is needed for the metal ones but not the plastic ones. The plastic grip housings already have a steel insert, it just needs to be milled out a bit. The metal grip housings are wide open.

If I "shim" the trigger pack, the shim would be 3/16 to 1/4" thick. I think I might just weld a block in there. Or get a navy lower. Hmmmm
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BASE] [#8]
I’ve seen the metal ones done where the ears are partially milled away like the plastic ones. I think Parabellum and Bill Springfield offer that service.

There are some pics on Jeff's website of what I'm talking about: https://parabellumcombatsystemsllc.com/product/metal-lower/

I was thinking I'd try welding a thin bar across the front to sit on the shelf as well as milling the ears back. I've not gotten there quite yet though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Thats what I thought too. But I'm at that point of the build and it appears you need this block in the trigger housing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490765/1000007256_jpg-3298204.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490765/1000007258_jpg-3298205.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490765/1000007259_jpg-3298206.JPG

As it stands, there is nearly 1/4" of up and down play in the front of the grip housing.

For reference:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490765/1000007257_jpg-3298213.JPG
View Quote

I would just buy a g3 navy contour SEF plastic housing and modify it to fit your shelf. They have more steel up front to make it fit tightly on the shelf.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

I would just buy a g3 navy contour SEF plastic housing and modify it to fit your shelf. They have more steel up front to make it fit tightly on the shelf.
View Quote

I just did exactly that. I actually went with a pre-clipped and pinned one. Hopefully the shelf lines up, I measured mine very carefully when welding and it's within .002" according to a drawing I found. I think the navy lower will look real nice with my clubfoot stock. Like a poor mans 21E
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]

I just did exactly that. I actually went with a pre-clipped and pinned one. Hopefully the shelf lines up, I measured mine very carefully when welding and it's within .002" according to a drawing I found. I think the navy lower will look real nice with my clubfoot stock. Like a poor mans 21E
View Quote

Yup…after looking at everything that’s the route I’m taking…and I did the same thing with the clubfoot stock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Yup…after looking at everything that’s the route I’m taking…and I did the same thing with the clubfoot stock.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_3715_jpeg-3299185.JPG
View Quote

Dont forget we'll need to trim the upper ears off the navy packs to clear the belt feed mech, but should be pretty easy with a belt sander.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is awesome. Can't wait to get mine built.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm dying....mine is off being built and I got all these accessories and belts and belt loader and tripod and extra barrel...the wait is killing me

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 6:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#15]
Originally Posted By BASE:
I’ve seen the metal ones done where the ears are partially milled away like the plastic ones. I think Parabellum and Bill Springfield offer that service.

There are some pics on Jeff's website of what I'm talking about: https://parabellumcombatsystemsllc.com/product/metal-lower/

I was thinking I'd try welding a thin bar across the front to sit on the shelf as well as milling the ears back. I've not gotten there quite yet though.
View Quote

I have seen some that they just milled the metal ears and there is just a tiny bit of material left that sits on the shelf, it works but it's not optimal.  Welding in a piece is the correct way.  HK parts sells the exact weldment made for that...but of course they are out of stock with no known ETA....but you can just make your own.

Also as others said you can just use a plastic SEF g3 lower as well and c&p the front as normal...i like the metal lower look though
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Clipped and pinned SEF Navy lower installed. It took a good amount of fitting on both the lower AND the gun. Clearly the HK21 was not designed to work with a polymer lower because there is interference with the feed box. The sheetmetal lower fits better because its thinner. Ill try to get pics later showing what I'm talking about. But anyway, seems to work if you modify some things, and looks great!
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have a good contact at Atlantic? My kit came in the other day and the feed box is mangled on the top right side ears. I've asked more experienced builders, they say it *might* be salvageable. One side is bent inwards, other side looks like a bullet went through from the inside and peeled back a huge chunk of steel folded towards the front. It was very hastily demilled, carelessly even.

Regarding previous posts on semi shelf weldments for metal housings, I've made them from bar stock with good results. Its not very difficult to make, depending how you weld the shelf on the receiver will dictate the height of your corresponding latch.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#18]
The plastic SEF with the clubfoot looks HOT!  Can't wait to see that all finished!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 7:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TZLVredmist] [#19]
BUTTS!

I was browsing HK UMP conversion info this morning and ran across this thread.

PURCHASED:

HK21 Parts Kit
Two G3 Flats
Bending Jig
Weldment Parts Set
Reinforcing T-Rails

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Are more kits coming in or are they all gone?
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
View Quote

Apex had a second batch with a slightly different demill:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/hk21-belt-fed-parts-kit-7-62-nato-308-good-d.html

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I heard RCM was getting pretty close with the barrels they are making. I also thought the cryo barrels were supposed to be shipping a while back. Has anyone seen one yet?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I heard RCM was getting pretty close with the barrels they are making. I also thought the cryo barrels were supposed to be shipping a while back. Has anyone seen one yet?
View Quote

I have two coming from Cryo. They are supposedly shipping at the end of the month according to the website.

I ordered two sets of rails this weekend, and they already have a shipping label.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought there was a previous batch that was supposed to have gone out already, maybe not though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone thinking about giving Cryostructure money should google "shadow ops weaponry paul russ"

According to thread on HK Pro, its the same guy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone thinking about giving Cryostructure money should google "shadow ops weaponry paul russ"

According to thread on HK Pro, its the same guy.
View Quote

That’s what credit cards are for. If they don’t deliver as the 90 day dispute window approaches and you can’t get a refund you dispute the charge and walk away.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Cryostructure barrels were supposed to go out July 31.  He got the blanks in and said they were almost done.  Then a week later it was that he was waiting on tooling to cut the chambers or something, then they would go to chrome.  Then it was by the end of August...which I'm starting to have doubts.  I never understood why some venders do this....give a date they o ow they can't make....then give a new date and miss it, and repeat over and over.  I'm in the second cryo batch and if I don't see the first round ship soon I'm ejecting.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:14:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#28]
Originally Posted By Heineken:
Cryostructure barrels were supposed to go out July 31.  He got the blanks in and said they were almost done.  Then a week later it was that he was waiting on tooling to cut the chambers or something, then they would go to chrome.  Then it was by the end of August...which I'm starting to have doubts.  I never understood why some venders do this....give a date they o ow they can't make....then give a new date and miss it, and repeat over and over.  I'm in the second cryo batch and if I don't see the first round ship soon I'm ejecting.
View Quote

They seem to be falling into all of the traps of manufacturing. Taking on too many projects, announcing products that aren’t yet available, taking pre-payment, etc, etc, etc. I truly hope these are great and will buy a bunch if they are. I will not be an early adopter or pre-pay for items with zero track record.

RCM has been making 21E and 23E barrels for over a decade and has the specs down pat. I wish they were making theirs chrome lined, but CHF and nitride and 50% of the cost of the cryostructure means one can buy 2x the number of barrels and rotate them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Anybody have a builder they are happy with, that is responsive to calls or emails? I have contacted most of the builders mentioned in this thread about having two of the kits built into rifles, and I have heard back from exactly NOBODY. I would have though $10k+ in business would have at least gotten me a return call... but no.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#30]
Originally Posted By Debo75:
Anybody have a builder they are happy with, that is responsive to calls or emails? I have contacted most of the builders mentioned in this thread about having two of the kits built into rifles, and I have heard back from exactly NOBODY. I would have though $10k+ in business would have at least gotten me a return call... but no.
View Quote

I am sure most builders are overwhelmed with these 21 kits.

I’d recommend calling:

Michaels Machines
http://www.michaelsmachines.com/

Desert Yankee
https://www.instagram.com/desert_yankee_?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:55:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#31]
Originally Posted By 19Charlie_84:
Does anyone have a good contact at Atlantic? My kit came in the other day and the feed box is mangled on the top right side ears. I've asked more experienced builders, they say it *might* be salvageable. One side is bent inwards, other side looks like a bullet went through from the inside and peeled back a huge chunk of steel folded towards the front. It was very hastily demilled, carelessly even.
View Quote

YES,

Contact them via email immediately !

Tell them the part you have is simply "unservicable".  (CHECK AND MAKE SURE OTHER PARTS ARE TO YOUR LIKING AND "SQUARE" BEFORE YOU EMAIL THEM  - you may only get ONE chance at having them replace parts !)

I did the same and they quickly sent me a much better condition shroud and buttstock assembly and didnt even want or ask for the original parts back

Atlantic was stellar with CS on my 2 kits.  "YMMV"

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#32]

My Cryo reciever rails came in today.

Some of you guys are almost done, and I am still getting parts together.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Ugh…can’t do shit until I get a barrel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Ugh…can’t do shit until I get a barrel.
View Quote

Yep, I'm stuck too. Everything done but welding the shroud. Cant do that until i have a barrel to check alignment and cocking tube support gap.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

Those look like good candidates to graft onto vs rebuild.  Kinda the same way RJ does the 40/10 builds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got my parts kit in from HK Parts.

The kit itself looks REAL NICE! However......

It was missing the entire buttstock/recoil/buffer assembly. Sent COMS to HK parts, lets see what happens.

Will post pics of kit later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By barbcue:

YES,

Contact them via email immediately !

Tell them the part you have is simply "unservicable".  (CHECK AND MAKE SURE OTHER PARTS ARE TO YOUR LIKING AND "SQUARE" BEFORE YOU EMAIL THEM  - you may only get ONE chance at having them replace parts !)

I did the same and they quickly sent me a much better condition shroud and buttstock assembly and didnt even want or ask for the original parts back

Atlantic was stellar with CS on my 2 kits.  "YMMV"

View Quote

Unfortunately, they don't have any spare parts on hand. However, dude said if I find one elsewhere they'd reimburse me the cost of a new box. Centerfire Systems is currently going thru a bunch of kits and may have some for spare parts in a couple weeks. Gatewood supply has some listed individually, which I purchased tonight. I like good CS from companies.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Unfortunately, they don't have any spare parts on hand. However, dude said if I find one elsewhere they'd reimburse me the cost of a new box. Centerfire Systems is currently going thru a bunch of kits and may have some for spare parts in a couple weeks. Gatewood supply has some listed individually, which I purchased tonight. I like good CS from companies.
View Quote

I’d buy a club foot stock. HK Parts has double wound HK21 springs (not 21E springs).
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#39]

I’d buy a club foot stock. HK Parts has double wound HK21 springs (not 21E springs).
View Quote

Yeah but he still needs the hk21 buffer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Pics of my kit, Minus the stock and buffer/spring that never came.

Super nice kit!

Link Posted: 8/31/2024 11:14:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#41]
That looks like a nice set of bones to start with.  

Side note- has anyone messed with a Binary setup for one of these?
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By kells81:
That looks like a nice set of bones to start with.  

Side note- has anyone messed with a Binary setup for one of these?
View Quote

Or, would these work with a Lee Sporting lower and an FRT? I'm thinking no, but would be so cool.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Bent, Welded, Trued the bolt through the receiver THAT SUCKED! and test fit on the trunnion.

Link Posted: 8/31/2024 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Teller_Ulam:

Or, would these work with a Lee Sporting lower and an FRT? I'm thinking no, but would be so cool.
View Quote

I think there is a HK type super safety that would work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Teller_Ulam:

The super safety for sure looks like a solid option.  At least for the regular 21 as the AR style grip frame should fit it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Clubfoot stock, side rails, top pic rail, weldments for receiver, belts, starter tabs, and some other sundries came today and yesterday. Looking at 21E buffer parts on RTG. Need to take stuff apart and clean cosmo and demill chips out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

May as well go with a 21E buffer and relocate the cocking handle notch. Not that much more work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

If its as you say with a bent destroyed box - SEND THAT KIT BACK IMMEDIATELY for a replacement of refund !
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Regarding previous posts on semi shelf weldments for metal housings, I've made them from bar stock with good results. Its not very difficult to make, depending how you weld the shelf on the receiver will dictate the height of your corresponding latch.
View Quote

Did you manage to get it figured out? I have a spare feed box if you didn’t.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Did you manage to get it figured out? I have a spare feed box if you didn’t.
View Quote

Ya, ordered a box from Gatewood Supply and sent Atlantic a screenie of the receipt. It was on Friday night so we'll see on Mon morning.

I would have sent it back, but they don't have any more to replace.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top