Link Posted: 12/8/2021 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
XM5 Raptor US Army’s Prototype

some more raptor footage.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

That or it was very dirty, could have had a bad round or simply it was still a prototype and didn't have everything worked out that the production version will have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SIASL:
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
The mag dump at 2:36?  Looks like the bolt doesn't lock all the way back, but it stays open when he pulls the mag out?

When he pulls the mag, you can actually see live rounds still stacked in it.

Indeed. See the screen shot above.

ETA: I wonder if they’re shooting reduced recoil 308? Just doesn’t seem to be a lot of recoil for a Battle Rifle caliber.

ETAx2: Could explain the short stroke, maybe?

That or it was very dirty, could have had a bad round or simply it was still a prototype and didn't have everything worked out that the production version will have.

The TFB video was filmed what, January 2020? A year gives a lot of time to improve over a prototype.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If you look at the T&P video, you can get a brief glimpse of a loaded mag in JSJ's hand while the guy is shooting. Looks like all brass ammo to me. So maybe 762?
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Recoil looks fairly stout in this video, the rifle’s rocking that guy around pretty good. A lot more than the dude with the bitchin’ mustache in the F/A Raptor video, anyway.

For the life of me, I can never remember his name, but I’ll never forget that ridiculous mustache.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By coregon:

View Quote

Quick inquiry,

I've got one of Sig's new additive manufacturing Inconel SLX762-QD suppressors waiting in ATF jail.  Can that Suppressor handle the 6.8 Hybrid cartridge?

I understand of course if you decline to answer at this time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

The TFB video was filmed what, January 2020? A year gives a lot of time to improve over a prototype.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SIASL:
The mag dump at 2:36?  Looks like the bolt doesn't lock all the way back, but it stays open when he pulls the mag out?

When he pulls the mag, you can actually see live rounds still stacked in it.

Indeed. See the screen shot above.

ETA: I wonder if they’re shooting reduced recoil 308? Just doesn’t seem to be a lot of recoil for a Battle Rifle caliber.

ETAx2: Could explain the short stroke, maybe?

Agreed completely and in the video they do mention it was a test mule/prototype setup.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hoodfu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSE1VftyHYo

some more raptor Gladius footage.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
So will the upper receiver be 6061 aluminum like the MCX line or 7075?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
So will the upper receiver be 6061 aluminum like the MCX line or 7075?
View Quote

Nothing publicly stated by Sig yet. Either way it won’t matter. FN has shown 6061/6063 aluminum is fine for an upper receiver.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Nothing publicly stated by Sig yet. Either way it won’t matter. FN has shown 6061/6063 aluminum is fine for an upper receiver.
View Quote

Right, but still hoping they will use 7075 which is the industry standard.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

7075 doesn’t extrude well like 6061 which is why FN and SIG use it for their uppers. The MCX has a longer receiver life than a typical AR, all the wear points are s7 tool steel and on an AR they’re 7075 aluminum. Using 7075 for an MCX upper of a scar upper would add $1500 to the price simply because of the waste, shipping expense(heavy blocks vs hollow extrusions) longer machine time, more cutting wear. For absolutely NO benefit. Literally none.

I have worked in machine shops, managed one. I’m not an engineer but I definitely understand that side of the house. You don’t know why what you’re asking is a terrible idea. You don’t understand what makes 7075 the industry standard. You just want it because you’ve been conditioned to want it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

7075 doesn’t extrude well like 6061 which is why FN and SIG use it for their uppers. The MCX has a longer receiver life than a typical AR, all the wear points are s7 tool steel and on an AR they’re 7075 aluminum. Using 7075 for an MCX upper of a scar upper would add $1500 to the price simply because of the waste, shipping expense(heavy blocks vs hollow extrusions) longer machine time, more cutting wear. For absolutely NO benefit. Literally none.

I have worked in machine shops, managed one. I’m not an engineer but I definitely understand that side of the house. You don’t know why what you’re asking is a terrible idea. You don’t understand what makes 7075 the industry standard. You just want it because you’ve been conditioned to want it.
View Quote

Excellent post.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Actual manufacturing is super cool to me. I did a little bit of work with solidworks, some 3d printing and almost got a product into production. Having actual professional insight to manufacturing is like me being a kid in a candy shop. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:41:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#14]

View Quote

Sorry if I come across offensive, but how do you know that I don’t understand what makes 7075 the industry standard? I do know how to read and do my research. I was a cop 32 years and recently retired and still in the military reserves, so I have a good understanding when it comes to using weapons under harsh conditions. I also had an MCX for awhile and I did notice that the upper would damage easier (scratching & gouging) than my other AR15’s and was probably due to the softer aluminum.

I really don’t think that it would cost $1500.00 more to use 7075 VS 6061 and the MCX upper isn’t that much longer than a mil-spec upper. They use 7075 in all their other lines.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Sorry if I come across offensive, but how do you know that I don’t understand what makes 7075 the industry standard? I do know how to read and do my research. I was a cop 32 years and recently retired and still in the military reserves, so I have a good understanding when it comes to using weapons under harsh conditions. I also had an MCX for awhile and I did notice that the upper would damage easier (scratching & gouging) than my other AR15’s and was probably due to the softer aluminum.

I really don’t think that it would cost $1500.00 more to use 7075 VS 6061 and the MCX upper isn’t that much longer than a mil-spec upper. They use 7075 in all their other lines.
View All Quotes

It’s not that is longer it’s that it’s designed for an extrusion rather than a block of billet or forging.

Scratching and gouging are cosmetic. Wear surfaces are what counts. Cam path, charging handle lugs, fees ramp. They’re all steel in the MCX. Vs an AR 7075 upper you can expect the charging handle lugs to wear out between 15-20k rounds. Cam path is between 25-30 and that’s end of life for the upper receiver. The MCX has a theoretical infinite upper receiver life because tho use steel inserts will outlast the aluminum but if they ever do get damaged, they’re replaceable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]

It’s not that is longer it’s that it’s designed for an extrusion rather than a block of billet or forging.

Scratching and gouging are cosmetic. Wear surfaces are what counts. Cam path, charging handle lugs, fees ramp. They’re all steel in the MCX. Vs an AR 7075 upper you can expect the charging handle lugs to wear out between 15-20k rounds. Cam path is between 25-30 and that’s end of life for the upper receiver. The MCX has a theoretical infinite upper receiver life because tho use steel inserts will outlast the aluminum but if they ever do get damaged, they’re replaceable.
View Quote

Hopefully Sig will offer spare receivers for the Raptor like they do for the MCX.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

This feels very “ As A Veteran “ ish to me. What does being LEO of Mil have to do with your understanding of metals? I’ll wait for the blah blah blah all action I’ve seen response.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#18]

View Quote

Extruded vs Forged. MCX uppers are extruded and the AR uppers are forged.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BoogieMan2:

This feels very “ As A Veteran “ ish to me. What does being LEO of Mil have to do with your understanding of metals? I’ll wait for the blah blah blah all action I’ve seen response.
View Quote

It has nothing to do with understanding metals. Has to do with actually using them in harsh environments and seeing the wear and tear.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

??

You can buy a Zev forged 7075 T6 upper receiver for $120.     I don't see how that $1500 dollar number tracks with that?

I also don't think lessening external wear such as loss of coatings, scratching, and gouging can be classified as Zero benefit.  Keeping a weapon's exterior burr free seems like a good goal.   Even small superficial cuts can get infected if some poor guy in deployed in a swamp for weeks or months. I've been cut on burred aluminum before, it wasn't a big deal, and it wasn't on a weapon, but this discussion did remind me of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By lordhuck:

??

You can buy a Zev forged 7075 T6 upper receiver for $120.     I don't see how that $1500 dollar number tracks with that?

I also don't think lessening external wear such as loss of coatings, scratching, and gouging can be classified as Zero benefit.  Keeping a weapon's exterior burr free seems like a good goal.   Even small superficial cuts can get infected if some poor guy in deployed in a swamp for weeks or months. I've been cut on burred aluminum before, it wasn't a big deal, and it wasn't on a weapon, but this discussion did remind me of it.
View Quote

It's extruded, not forged or milled.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The Zev listing I was looking at says it was forged.  Is it actually not?

https://aimsurplus.com/zev-technologies-forged-ar-15-upper-receiver/

But what about this primary weapons systems upper receiver then?

It's $200 and says that it's Machined from Forged 7075 Aluminum

https://vtsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/Bootleg-Stripped-7075-Forged-AR15-Upper-Receiver-Primary-Weapons-No-Forward-Assist_p_1274.html
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lordhuck:
The Zev listing I was looking at says it was forged.  Is it actually not?

https://aimsurplus.com/zev-technologies-forged-ar-15-upper-receiver/

But what about this primary weapons systems upper receiver then?

It's $200 and says that it's Machined from Forged 7075 Aluminum

https://vtsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/Bootleg-Stripped-7075-Forged-AR15-Upper-Receiver-Primary-Weapons-No-Forward-Assist_p_1274.html
View Quote

The MCX is extruded. Not the AR style receivers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I know I’m late to the party but I 100% want a Spear in .308!

Only recently have I become interested in the MCX and yesterday began thinking, “hmmm, a 16” .308 and 11.5” 5.56 would be my ideal pair!”. Come to find out, a larger cal MCX is already in development for the .mil.

While I’m a big “bang for the buck” guy, I think the MCX Spear is a unique offering and I’d definitely pony up about $3500 for one.

As for the Raptor, the video above makes it look absolutely ridiculous given the amount of recoil, but maybe it’s partly the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#25]
This is the year, right?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 4:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#26]
I hope so. Hoping they release the actual Raptor (non prototype) at Sig’s virtual Shot Show.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope so. Hoping they release the actual Raptor (non prototype) at Sig's virtual Shot Show.
View Quote
When is that? Did they set a date and I missed it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#28]
When is that? Did they set a date and I missed it?
View Quote

When the original video came out on the Spear/ Raptor in 2020, cool mustache dude said 12-18 months and also mentioned it maybe being in your Christmas stocking 2021. Well it didn’t happen, so hoping that something is going to be revealed at the 2022 Shot Show. Sig apparently won’t be there, but they should have something virtual for all their new releases.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I been thinking about getting into the mcx in 556 and I know this will be damn near impossible to find but I'm in on the spear for sure.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Shot Show week approaches - is it happening?
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
View Quote

We can only hope.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#32]

We can only hope.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

We can only hope.

@coregon

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#35]
How is it time when pricing and availability isn’t even known yet?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Any ideas on  pricing and availability? It looks to be a limited run product, likely near $10k if I had to guess.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BigBurkeyBoy:
Any ideas on  pricing and availability? It looks to be a limited run product, likely near $10k if I had to guess.
View All Quotes

How is it time when pricing and availability isn’t even known yet?

First Production Run is a Limited Edition.  In-line/catalog production SKU's are right behind.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Omg omg omg
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Price?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Time to start saving
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#41]
It's so beautiful.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Does anyone even make ammo in .277 Fury or 6.8x51mm other than SIG?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:10:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#43]
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. :P If the production versions aren't $3500-$4500, I'll be shocked. This is clearly in SR-25 money territory.

277 Fury ammo availability is the elephant in the room. Sig blew it with the 277 Fury Cross, and it's unclear why this is different.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Will there be a LE/MIL SKU for those of us that qualify for that program?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By erwos:
If the production versions aren't $3500-$4500, I'll be shocked.

View Quote

No doubt they will be - I'm thinking even higher.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#46]
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. :P If the production versions aren't $3500-$4500, I'll be shocked. This is clearly in SR-25 money territory.

277 Fury ammo availability is the elephant in the room. Sig blew it with the 277 Fury Cross, and it's unclear why this is different.
View Quote

This thing will be <3500 after pigs can fly, but it’d be amazing if it did.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

THAT IS literally the dumbest post you can make...

How is asking about the price means one can't afford it...you know...most millionaires in this country don't acquire wealth by being idiotic with their finances...
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

THAT IS literally the dumbest post you can make...

How is asking about the price means one can't afford it...you know...most millionaires in this country don't acquire wealth by being idiotic with their finances...
View Quote
It means do you have "f you money" or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I have no doubt that it will be expensive.

And I also have no doubt that Sig Sauer will eventually release versions in 7.62x51 and probably 6.8x51.

Page / 31
MCX Spear (Page 11 of 31)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top