User Panel

Site Notices
MCX Spear (Page 14 of 31)
Page / 31
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coregon:

There's a production model on its way.  This gun is for anyone who might care about the way the NGSW gun was submitted to trials and testing.  

If you are just looking for a large-framed MCX and dont care about the arc of the NGSW program, then the production model(s) will be right up your alley.  

Sure, publicity, brand management, etc are all things that any brand has to be aware of.  It doesn't mean we're ignoring our customer base - quite the contrary.  I think we have outpaced most of our competition when it comes to providing the commercial market with the same products we are selling Uncle Sam.
View Quote

@coregon
I agree with your perspective and points. No matter what, there will always be that someone with a complaint especially when it has something to do with SIG. If SIG wasn't doing something right, then there'd be no innovation within their catalog, no NGSW discussion pertinent to SIG, or Haters to help gauge how bad there products look compared to SIG. Keep it coming!

Oh and while your at it can you come over to the 716I thread? We could use some SIG representation and clarification regarding specs.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/The-SIG-716I-TREAD-The-best-AR-308-AR-10-type-rifle-for-the-money-/45-521591/?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
I’m shocked that SIG would allow these bigger dealers to offer them up for auction (besides charity). The common man with $8,000.00 to spend in their dream rifle
(let’s say) still doesn’t stand a chance…
View Quote

If the big dealers were mandated by Sig to sell the gun for "retail" then it would be the private buyers auctioning the guns for $25,000.   It's a collectible limited edition, I think this is expected and fine.

If the market demands 500,000+ units of the production model Spear then Sig will gladly push them out to the public as they are able.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]

There's a production model on its way.  This gun is for anyone who might care about the way the NGSW gun was submitted to trials and testing.  

If you are just looking for a large-framed MCX and dont care about the arc of the NGSW program, then the production model(s) will be right up your alley.  

Sure, publicity, brand management, etc are all things that any brand has to be aware of.  It doesn't mean we're ignoring our customer base - quite the contrary.  I think we have outpaced most of our competition when it comes to providing the commercial market with the same products we are selling Uncle Sam.
View Quote
Can you give us an approximate date yet?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm starting to wonder if there's any special groups out there testing .277Fury on Russian body armor in a hyper-realistic scenario.

We've seen lots of MCXs in pics there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
I'm starting to wonder if there's any special groups out there testing .277Fury on Russian body armor in a hyper-realistic scenario.

View Quote

My WAG is 5.56 MCX’s donated by the UK. Haven’t seen any “large frame” MCXs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By goloud:

My WAG is 5.56 MCX's donated by the UK. Haven't seen any "large frame" MCXs.
View Quote
Without checking, I wouldn't be shocked if Ukraine had bought their own MCXs.  It seems like a lot of countries in Europe picked them up for various special groups and units.  It wouldn't surprise me if Ukraine did the same.

As for the big block MCX slotting commies, I can hope, right?

BTW, got anymore SPEAR pics?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Ahemm, 6.8x51 would be the NATO designation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So how's it doing?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
What optic(s) are you guys planning once this thing gets released?

I've got a Trijicon 1-8 that is currently on a SBR Grendel build, but it'll get repurposed for this once it gets released, unless I find something nicer.  I'm thinking I'll buy whatever version I can find first, and unless the price of .277 comes down, there is a fuckton of 6.5 Jesusmoor here locally.

And for nighttime fun, I'll mount my Nox35.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:
I’m shocked that SIG would allow these bigger dealers to offer them up for auction (besides charity). The common man with $8,000.00 to spend in their dream rifle

To me (a nobody) it sends the message that Sig cares more about the publicity/press this "limited release" generates and less about their actual customers. Just my .02 as someone who could have afforded one but passed. Don't see any real reason why the "limited" model can't be sold as a production model. Is "Live free or die" still the slogan?

I know I'll get flamed for having an opinion

ETA: Not referring to the dealer auction situation. People would have flipped them anyway.

What are the differences between the production model and the limited release? Is it a matter of the total package (deployment kit + suppressor) or are there any significant cosmetic/functional differences?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Apec:

What are the differences between the production model and the limited release? Is it a matter of the total package (deployment kit + suppressor) or are there any significant cosmetic/functional differences?
View All Quotes

To me (a nobody) it sends the message that Sig cares more about the publicity/press this "limited release" generates and less about their actual customers. Just my .02 as someone who could have afforded one but passed. Don't see any real reason why the "limited" model can't be sold as a production model. Is "Live free or die" still the slogan?

ETA: Not referring to the dealer auction situation. People would have flipped them anyway.

It will by-and-large be the same gun.  Maybe small cosmetic changes, etc.  Same pedigree and foundation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:49:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#12]

It will by-and-large be the same gun.  Maybe small cosmetic changes, etc.  Same pedigree and foundation.
View All Quotes

By small cosmetic changes, what kind of examples are possible? Is it going to be something like different engravings, different handguard/muzzle device/furniture, or will we be seeing parts with different finishes?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
So I wonder how they are even going to keep the Spear and Raptor in stock when they can’t even keep up with demand on the Virtus.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]

By small cosmetic changes, what kind of examples are possible? Is it going to be something like different engravings, different handguard/muzzle device/furniture, or will we be seeing parts with different finishes?
View Quote

I'd expect the changes might include:
- Barrel Length     (16 inches and possibly longer... or even shorter)
- Caliber Options   (Adding 308Win/7.62x51 and 6.5 Creedmoor)
- Color Options     (Black, FDE, and Possibly Grey)
- Handguards       (Different Lengths and Possibly Types - Suppressor Compatible)

Of course... these are all guesses.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#15]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

- Handguards       (Different Lengths and Possibly Types - Suppressor Compatible)

View All Quotes

True, what I’m most interested in knowing is if there is a production option for a gun that is mostly “clone correct” - like how FN’s SCAR 17/20 are pretty much clones of the Mk17/Mk20 with the exception of markings, select-fire, barrel lengths and muzzle devices, or the HK SP5 being as close as you can get to a gov-issue MP5, minus the markings, select-fire, trigger housing/shelf, and sear block.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

When the Raptor comes out with the 8" barrel, it really would make sense to offer a suppressor width handguard.

Basically, what I want is a big-boy LVAW in 8.6blk. A man can dream, can't he?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

When the Raptor comes out with the 8" barrel, it really would make sense to offer a suppressor width handguard.

Basically, what I want is a big-boy LVAW in 8.6blk. A man can dream, can't he?
View Quote

Let’s hope the Raptor comes out soon. I really want one of these.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Hello everyone.

Don't normally venture out from GD too much, but was told to come post here.

What questions can I help answer?

Link Posted: 3/18/2022 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By narphenal:
Hello everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/PwaaW1c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/O04jwYO.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for posting, long lost daddy!

I desire to see the BCG and barrel/piston in the nude, because I'm really curious how it compares to the MCX.

How does the weight feel? Are you going to shoot it, or will it be a safe queen?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#20]

I desire to see the BCG and barrel/piston in the nude, because I'm really curious how it compares to the MCX.

How does the weight feel? Are you going to shoot it, or will it be a safe queen?
View All Quotes
Hello everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/PwaaW1c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/O04jwYO.jpg

Will get some detailed shots over the weekend.

The “included” ammo is a voucher you have to redeem, so have none of that.

The weight is nice. It also had zero equipment on it now, so obviously that’s going to impact it. Interested to see the balance of it.

It has very obviously been fired from the factory, with multiple obvious signs that I will detail in photos.

This one will likely remain eye candy. Talking about picking up a second one to actually shoot, so we will see how that pans out.

Regardless, once the actual commercial models drop on both it and the cross plan on doing a bunch of shooting of the new caliber, particularly playing around with the Hybrid cased stuff.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Would like to see the markings on the silencer if possible. The diameter looks larger than the standard SLX models.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Would like to see the markings on the silencer if possible. The diameter looks larger than the standard SLX models.
View Quote

Yeah, will do. It's a SLX-MG in 6.8 Specifically.

It felt that way, but I'll grab some of my SLX cans to compare it to.

I'll do a whole detailed photoshoot, and can grab any items to throw in the frame for comparison if y'all would like to request anything specific.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Does the handguard screw go all the way through like a Chicago screw, or is the upper threaded on both sides?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#24]

I'll do a whole detailed photoshoot, and can grab any items to throw in the frame for comparison if y'all would like to request anything specific.
View All Quotes

If you wouldn't mind, would be cool to see a comparison of the parts vs the Virtus (BCG, barrel setups, pistons, etc).
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lordhuck] [#25]
Hmmmmm

You guys think we're going to need a 6.8 specific suppressor?   The current 7.62 SLX & SLH sig suppressors...are they not robust enough to handle the increased PSI from Sigs hybrid case ammo?  

Is the 6.8 suppressor that comes with the 1st edition Spear bored out large enough for 7.62 rounds?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#26]

The weight is nice. It also had zero equipment on it now, so obviously that’s going to impact it. Interested to see the balance of it.

It has very obviously been fired from the factory, with multiple obvious signs that I will detail in photos.

This one will likely remain eye candy. Talking about picking up a second one to actually shoot, so we will see how that pans out.

Regardless, once the actual commercial models drop on both it and the cross plan on doing a bunch of shooting of the new caliber, particularly playing around with the Hybrid cased stuff.  
View Quote

Are detailed pics still coming? Looking forward to seeing them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

I won’t steal narphenal’s thunder and want you guys to get unbiased info - but, if he can’t get to it, I can get you guys pics.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#28]
What is it looking like for production SPEAR guns? Q3/Q4 of this year? Or next year?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
What is it looking like for production SPEAR guns? Q3/Q4 of this year? Or next year?

Just curious.
View Quote

This year.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

The "included" ammo is a voucher you have to redeem, so have none of that.

The weight is nice. It also had zero equipment on it now, so obviously that's going to impact it. Interested to see the balance of it.

@narphenal
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Apologies. Family in town this weekend, threw everything off.

Here is the first batch of pictures. Needed some tools to get the next batch done, so will continue off later.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:16:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: narphenal] [#32]

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Once I go grab my MCX/SLX cans and some tools, will start posting more shots along with comparisons. Feel free to request any details on anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you for posting some pics. The recoil system is definitely a change from the dual springs of the  MCX Virtus line.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Is that (or will that) suppressor be available for purchase separately so we can pair it with our production line SPEARs?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks! Looks like it hasn't changed much since it was the CSASS, or whatever.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#37]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
Is that (or will that) suppressor be available for purchase separately so we can pair it with our production line SPEARs?
View Quote

No.

ETA:  I won’t say “never”, but this can is/was one of the benefits of this Limited Edition “NGSW Submission” rifle.  There are several commercial offerings that are extremely similar - and even “better”.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Is that an "internal" firing pin safety system?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Spot on.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#40]
@coregon

What are the chances of getting the mount pictured of the Tango 6T on the Spear in the release pictures?

Ever going to be available?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#41]
https://i.imgur.com/FeIoVgR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JqCiib7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/12ZLM5f.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/g8vCVC7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/er2Lf1E.jpg

Once I go grab my MCX/SLX cans and some tools, will start posting more shots along with comparisons. Feel free to request any details on anything.
View Quote

@narphenal does that screw at the top rear of the handguard go all the way into the upper? Meaning, do you have to remove that screw to slide off the handguard if you want to swap them for, say, a potential future suppressor width handguard?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#42]

No.

ETA:  I won’t say “never”, but this can is/was one of the benefits of this Limited Edition “NGSW Submission” rifle.  There are several commercial offerings that are extremely similar - and even “better”.
View Quote

Oh? Do tell!
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Looks like the locking stock hinge that the SPEAR uses is now in the Sig store (out of stock).
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Thank you for posting some pics. The recoil system is definitely a change from the dual springs of the  MCX Virtus line.
View Quote

Looks similar to Scar17
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:06:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Was back in stock a few days ago
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I've tried the search and have gotten some inconsistent answers?

Who makes the offset iron's on the Spear? I'm getting different answers from people saying KAC, Troy and MI.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#47]
https://i.imgur.com/FeIoVgR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JqCiib7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/12ZLM5f.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/g8vCVC7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/er2Lf1E.jpg

View Quote

The more I look at your photos, the more I'm convinced the uppers on the SPEAR are forged 7075. Some of those lines by the cam pin relief cutout give me that impression. Plus the Gen 3 MCX vid said they needed to make some changes to handle the pressure so I'm thinking it's the uppers are forged. I welcome this change, if true.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goloud] [#48]
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/04/19/sig-sauer-wins-ngsw/

SIG Sauer Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 31
MCX Spear (Page 14 of 31)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top