Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2024 1:08:52 PM EDT
What is ARFCOM's opinions on various side saddles?

I've mostly been looking at the Tacstar Slimline, Aluminum Mesa, the Promag 7 shot and the GG&G.
Not looking to spend a crazy amount on a side saddle but don't want some no name amazon special neither.
Prefer it to hold 6+ rounds, no top rail, durable for around the farm work and at least somewhat decent looking on a 590 retro.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Mesa makes a polymer version of their side saddle that is less expensive. I have it on a 590 Shockwave. It has been just as good as their aluminum version. No complaints.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a fan of how much wider they make the gun, so if a gun I buy has one, I remove it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 3:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#3]
I've tried a few different ones.

The Tacstar did not fit. The forend ran into the front of the mount and could not be used.

The GG&G is a much better product. It fits fine, and it feels robust. I think it has the best retention setup I've seen. The adjustable ones are kind of finicky from what I've seen. The plastic ones either work or they don't. The GG&G uses a rubber strip that holds the shells, and it seemed to do a good job. The one and only thing I did not like about it is specific to me. I shoot left handed, I I could not use it full of shells left handed. I could only load it with the first four. I never tried it long term.

My current favorite is the Esstac 6 shot tear aways. I don't use them like shell cards, mine just stays on all the time. If you take the shells out, it lays so flat there's no need to remove it. It does have the option of having other cards with different ammo if that is your thing. The two big things I like about it are the retention and the adjustability. These hold shells better than anything. I don't shoot competition, so maybe some might think they are too stiff. I've had so many shells fall out on things, I like mine to stay put. Shells do not fall out of these. Mine are stored loaded, and I've seen a few that do not hold up to this. The adjustability is great you can put them on however fits best. While mine is the 6 shot, I only put 5 shells in mine because they just can not fit the 6th without hitting my trigger finger when shooting left handed. I've had mine for a couple years now, and I can say it's a solid setup.

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M41A:
I'm not a fan of how much wider they make the gun, so if a gun I buy has one, I remove it.
View Quote

If you put a flashlight on the right side it balances out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
View Quote
Same x3.  All right in the trash.  This was a before picture, it also had one on the left side:

They make good sense if you are a deputy in a large county with cover units being an hour away most of the time.

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Same x3.  All right in the trash.  This was a before picture, it also had one on the left side:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/IMG_4705_JPG-3012151.jpg
They make good sense if you are a deputy in a large county with cover units being an hour away most of the time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So side saddle on the receiver is bad but on the stock where you can’t transition and still makes the gun wide, is okay.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MK318:

So side saddle on the receiver is bad but on the stock where you can’t transition and still makes the gun wide, is okay.
View All Quotes

He said it's a before picture.  I'm assuming he removed them after that picture was taken.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Mesa Aluminum one on my 590A1 SBS.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've taken off all my velcro ones since moving to NH and either reload from on body storage or my HD m590 has the tacstar slimline one. I like it better than the legacy ones.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#10]

He said it's a before picture.  I'm assuming he removed them after that picture was taken.
View All Quotes

Ah, I missed that. My mistake.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Other than a side saddle what is a good way to carry a few extra shells easily at hand for around a farm? I plan to leave the 590 loaded with buckshot, but want access to slugs, birdshot and extra buckshot depending on what I may need to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I've taken off all my velcro ones since moving to NH and either reload from on body storage or my HD m590 has the tacstar slimline one. I like it better than the legacy ones.
View Quote

Is that one able to keep rounds secure in an upside down position?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#13]
Originally Posted By testguy111:
Other than a side saddle what is a good way to carry a few extra shells easily at hand for around a farm? I plan to leave the 590 loaded with buckshot, but want access to slugs, birdshot and extra buckshot depending on what I may need to deal with.
View Quote

There isn't really, but here is what I can think of.

Speedfeed stocks store them inside. I find them awkward, and they only come in one style. So if that stock doesn't fit right you are SOL.

Match savers is just a holder for one at the ejection port. They work, but they look frail, and it's just a single shell. I suppose you could use multiple holders.

Buttstock shell holders. These can range from cheap elastic to fancy strap on cheek risers. Some are junk, some work. I never saw a leather one that worked. Lots of them move around when you don't want them to. The two big drawbacks is a lot only work for right handed shooters. Even if they are reversible, you can't shoot ambidextrous. The other drawback is all that weight is at the back of the gun.

I'm not a fan of off gun carry at all. I can't imagine it going well. I can only imagine something happening in the middle of the night, and hold on, I have to strap on my fanny pack or bandolier. Or how about middle of the day hunting or something, and I need a slug NOW, but my carrier is 20 feet away. Might as well be 20 miles.

Of the off gun carriers, the only one I like, and the only one I use hunting is the 10 round military pouch mounted on a molle belt. I use 3 pouches on a belt, 30 rounds is heavy enough. Every bandolier or similar exposed setup I ever saw dumps shells when you bend over or crouch. With the shell pouches they will not fall out, and if you want to belly crawl you rotate the belt so the they are on your back. Fanny packs might work, too, I just never tried a shooting specific one.

The only other thing I've been playing with recently is syringe speed loaders. They can be tossed right in a pocket fast. I'm unsure how durable they are. They work, but it takes practice to use them fast.

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

View All Quotes

I really don't know. I keep them brass up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Are they snug?
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Are they snug?
View All Quotes

Are they snug?

@JTMcC

Yeah, next time I'll shoot it with brass down
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Mesa Tactical is my favorite, the TacStar Slim is good but stay away from the regular TacStar version...
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#18]
@NachoDip
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

The Esstac shotgun card answers both of your requests. The card on the side of your gun to hold the shells and a few spare cards loaded with whatever various ammo you want to. Some people color code the cards to the ammo. IE, a black card is 00b. A tan card is #4B, and a multicam card is slugs. You can do another color for birdshot etc.

They have a pull loop on them so you can carabiner them to something but the cards also conveniently in a M4 mag pouch too. That makes it plenty easy to store them however you want to.

I have some cards that have been in use for 10 years now that have held up well.

Shotgun cards.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I've used Estac cards for a long time but I've never got 10 years out of one.

They get replaced when the elastic starts loosing grip.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]
OP Here.

Anyone have pics of their 590 with the velcro on the side and with the cards attached? Curious how much velcro is needed and how the cards sit on the receiver.

Also does the adhesive from the velcro mess with the finish at all?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LowRez] [#22]
i have these, not a retro but you get the idea.

I can take other pics if you want.

*edit.  I dont see how you can go wrong with cards. they are handy, quick, easy to use, and fit in a 5.56 mag pouch well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I know everyone else hates them but I've been running Tac-stars on all of mine, both the old school & slimline, for almost 25yrs & love them & they've never let me down.  I also run a Specter Gear 6rd buttstock pouch as well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I don’t really care for the Velcro side saddle solution. I use it because nobody makes a 7 or 8 shell side saddle for the 1301 or A300. There isn’t any real residue left over after you remove the Velcro from the receiver. You can clean it off easy enough with some clp. The problem with Velcro is it doesn’t like cold weather or water. You being in WI cold it likely going to be an issue for you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#25]
OP Here.

Anyone have pics of their 590 with the velcro on the side and with the cards attached? Curious how much velcro is needed and how the cards sit on the receiver.

Also does the adhesive from the velcro mess with the finish at all?
View Quote

I bought the OD green velcro tape on eBay in the right width (2"?) and it takes some serious pull to remove the card. I don't think the adhesive will hurt the finish (which is anodized aluminum on the 590) but mine was ratty anyway. I degreased with brake cleaner first and the Velcro adhesive is NOT forgiving.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@MK318 How do you like the fore-end light? I bought a 500 parts kit with one and was excited to try it on the Shockwave, only to find out it didn't fit by a quarter inch. I do like the idea of keeping the strap. Are you happy with yours?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I don’t really care for the Velcro side saddle solution. I use it because nobody makes a 7 or 8 shell side saddle for the 1301 or A300. There isn’t any real residue left over after you remove the Velcro from the receiver. You can clean it off easy enough with some clp. The problem with Velcro is it doesn’t like cold weather or water. You being in WI cold it likely going to be an issue for you.
View Quote

yea.....

you need to prep the surface of the receiver better. alcohol wipes go a long ways towards making things work like they need to.

I live in Wyoming and have had ZERO problems with this in cold weather. very cold weather.

I know you have "tens of thousands or rounds" through your shotgun, but with a little care and prep before installing, Velcro works very well. all the time. regardless of weather.

I use my shotguns as a backup/close range weapon when coyote hunting at night during the winter, and when they are too close for my 22 Creedmoor, I use the shotgun. many times we have multiple dogs come in and never once have my cards pull the velcro off the receiver.

and in the dark, the shotgun gets way more work in than the bolt gun.

on top of that I have taken several classes with the same shotgun with the same original velcro and never had any issues. at all.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I have had pretty good luck removing velcro. It's usually a little work to get a corner started, but then you can pull them off pretty easy, and they don't seem to leave a lot of residue. Maybe if your gun rode in a truck and baked in the sun for a couple years it might be different.

I have had zero issues with velcro failing in any temperature. Maybe if you wanted to use cards like magazines and were regularly ripping them off, then I suppose the velcro would fail earlier. If you leave your cards attached all the time, they never fail. The elastic of the shell loops does seem to have a limited life, so you will have to swap the card out every so often, maybe every year if you use them often enough.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:41:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LowRez] [#28]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
I have had pretty good luck removing velcro. It's usually a little work to get a corner started, but then you can pull them off pretty easy, and they don't seem to leave a lot of residue. Maybe if your gun rode in a truck and baked in the sun for a couple years it might be different.

I have had zero issues with velcro failing in any temperature. Maybe if you wanted to use cards like magazines and were regularly ripping them off, then I suppose the velcro would fail earlier. If you leave your cards attached all the time, they never fail. The elastic of the shell loops does seem to have a limited life, so you will have to swap the card out every so often, maybe every year if you use them often enough.
View Quote

we have similar temperatures issues, Im guessing, and I do use mine like magazines with no problems. good surface prep makes all the difference.

you are absolutely right about the shell loops giving up the ghost if left loaded for extended periods of time, I think that is their only downfall.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By LowRez:

we have similar temperatures issues, Im guessing, and I do use mine like magazines with no problems. good surface prep makes all the difference.

you are absolutely right about the shell loops giving up the ghost if left loaded for extended periods of time, I think that is their only downfall.
View Quote

I am not aware of a single shell holder that doesn't wear out in time, so I wouldn't call it a downfall. Left alone they seem to be fine for a couple of years. If you were using them a lot, such as practicing reloads, then maybe they wear out faster. Some of them such as the GG&G one you replace the rubber strip every so often. In the case of the shell cards, you just throw them in the trash and slap a new one on there when needed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 9:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#30]

yea.....

you need to prep the surface of the receiver better. alcohol wipes go a long ways towards making things work like they need to.

I live in Wyoming and have had ZERO problems with this in cold weather. very cold weather.

I know you have "tens of thousands or rounds" through your shotgun, but with a little care and prep before installing, Velcro works very well. all the time. regardless of weather.

I use my shotguns as a backup/close range weapon when coyote hunting at night during the winter, and when they are too close for my 22 Creedmoor, I use the shotgun. many times we have multiple dogs come in and never once have my cards pull the velcro off the receiver.

on top of that I have taken several classes with the same shotgun with the same original velcro and never had any issues. at all.
View All Quotes

yea.....

RIF. I’m not talking about the adhesive sticking to the receiver, I’m talking about the hook and loop working in cold and or wet environments.

The problem with Velcro is it doesn’t like cold weather or water. You being in WI cold it likely going to be an issue for you.

Link Posted: 7/11/2024 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#31]

RIF. I’m not talking about the adhesive sticking to the receiver, I’m talking about the hook and loop working in cold and or wet environments.

View Quote

That makes no sense. Why would a hook and loop not work in the cold? I have never seen that happen.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#32]

That makes no sense. Why would a hook and loop not work in the cold? I have never seen that happen.
View All Quotes

It has been repeated by multiple members on a few forums that the cold affects the Velcro for them. I live in the south so I don’t have any first hand knowledge. I do know water can cause issues. Maybe it is the mixture of cold and wet weather.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#33]

It has been repeated by multiple members on a few forums that the cold affects the Velcro for them. I live in the south so I don’t have any first hand knowledge. I do know water can cause issues. Maybe it is the mixture of cold and wet weather.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK318:  RIF. I’m not talking about the adhesive sticking to the receiver, I’m talking about the hook and loop working in cold and or wet environments.

Velcro probably doesn't work very well if either side is a sheet of ice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

If that's the case, it should be easy to test. I'll just spray mine with some water and put in in the freezer overnight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 2:42:00 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

this. never had any issues in freezing weather with snow or even in rain.

the physical structure of the hook and loop, unless being totally frozen block of ice while unattached, will work in the cold or wet. if its frozen while together, separating it will shed all the ice and it will be ready to function as designed again.

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#36]

I live in the south so I don’t have any first hand knowledge.
View Quote

and yet, here you are......

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:18:50 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I live in the south so I don’t have any first hand knowledge.

I must have hurt your feelings. Do you need a hug? It’s going to be okay boo-boo.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:06:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LowRez] [#38]
nope, just dont have much patience for people who talk the talk, but dont walk the walk.

and you certainly dont walk the walk.

anyone who has shot "tens of thousands of rounds" through their shotgun and never figured out barrels get hot should really spend less time telling other people how things work
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:15:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#39]
nope, just dont have much patience for people who talk the talk, but dont walk the walk.

and you certainly dont walk the walk.

anyone who has shot "tens of thousands of rounds" through their shotgun and never figured out barrels get hot should really spend less time telling other people how things work
View Quote

You keep repeating that same thing, I have no idea what you are talking about. My guess is you are taking something out of context or more likely, failing to read and understand something fully and assuming that somehow you know better. You seem to have this complex. Fact is you don’t know me or anything about me or what I’ve done in my lifetime so do yourself a favor and stop being a nit picking hanger on who follows me around in various threads just to piss and moan saying the same thing over and over again. You contribute very little in the threads you post in here, mostly you just snipe at people and try to shit stir. I am almost convinced you’re Blains other account since you repeat a lot of the same idiotic nonsense. How long before you start PMing me weird shit too and I have to ignore you like I did him?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#40]

You keep repeating that same thing, I have no idea what you are talking about. My guess is you are taking something out of context or more likely, failing to read and understand something fully and assuming that somehow you know better. You seem to have this complex. Fact is you don’t know me or anything about me or what I’ve done in my lifetime so do yourself a favor and stop being a nit picking hanger on who follows me around in various threads just to piss and moan saying the same thing over and over again. You contribute very little in the threads you post in here, mostly you just snipe at people and try to shit stir. I am almost convinced you’re Blains other account since you repeat a lot of the same idiotic nonsense. How long before you start PMing me weird shit too and I have to ignore you like I did him?
View Quote

I must have hurt your feelings. Do you need a hug? It’s going to be okay boo-boo.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#41]

@JTMcC

View All Quotes

Are they snug?

@JTMcC

@03RN

I'd appreciate it, I'm making the change from decades of "right hand long gun use" to left hand, not by choice. So many things old, have become "new" too me
So far, loading a shotgun tube would be easier if the shells were upside down. Maybe I'll aclimate and not need that.

The change over is going much smoother than I anticipated, but a few speedbumps remain. Possibly looking to go from esstac cards to a slightly more secure upside down carrier.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Most people don't shoot their guns when it's nice out. Let alone in the cold.

This isn't me but I've repeated it multiple times.
Cold Weather Side Saddle Jan 2022

Cold Weather Side Saddle Follow-up Jan 22
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#43]

@03RN

I'd appreciate it, I'm making the change from decades of "right hand long gun use" to left hand, not by choice. So many things old, have become "new" too me
So far, loading a shotgun tube would be easier if the shells were upside down. Maybe I'll aclimate and not need that.

The change over is going much smoother than I anticipated, but a few speedbumps remain. Possibly looking to go from esstac cards to a slightly more secure upside down carrier.
View All Quotes

Are they snug?

@JTMcC

@03RN

Brass down is faster and more efficient to load.  No doubt about it.

I haven't had a shotgun day yet but I should soon
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Hogue speed feed stock was my solution to this problem.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#45]
22f is not cold, and that's not an Esstac shell card either. The cold isn't the problem, that guy just bought a junk product.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Most people don't shoot their guns when it's nice out. Let alone in the cold.

This isn't me but I've repeated it multiple times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0xBtNyNnfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7_UXf5tjVw
View Quote

Nooooo this can’t happen the resident Velcro expert said it can’t.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#47]
22f is not cold, and that's not an Esstac shell card either. The cold isn't the problem, that guy just bought a junk product.
View Quote

I've done it with every esstac card I have. 20+. Also with the vancomp ones which are much better than the esstac ones.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#48]
They just fall off for you?

I've had the same card on my 590 for about 2 years and I'm really glad when it warms up to 22f in the winter. It's simply not a problem I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm wondering what velcro people are having a problem with in cold temps??

I use 3M, maybe wallyworld hook is an issue.

I've only used Esstacs but they grab pretty (almost too) solid on 3M hook, enough that I was leery of peeling it off the reciever of the gun but nope.
My usage temps run from North Dakota to at home where 4 degrees is considered "very cold".
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:11:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#50]
I'm wondering what velcro people are having a problem with in cold temps??

I use 3M, maybe wallyworld hook is an issue.

I've only used Esstacs but they grab pretty (almost too) solid on 3M hook, enough that I was leery of peeling it off the reciever of the gun but nope.
My usage temps run from North Dakota to at home where 4 degrees is considered "very cold".
View Quote

Mine is the same way. You can pull them off, but the idea they would just fall off under recoil is nuts. I can pick up the entire gun on the loop of the shell card. I'm pretty sure I used the velcro they sent with.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top