Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I will also add for everyone looking into this route, having dual batteries adds some extra weight, but I may not have to add any more counterweights, and now have twice the battery longevity.

Last night I got out in the yard just looking around, and I saw a black cat at 30 yds, and was like hey there's a black cat.  I then realized I just determined I saw a black cat in near total darkness, and could actually tell it was a BLACK cat.  That was WITHOUT my IR flashlight on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By riverrockar:
I will also add for everyone looking into this route, having dual batteries adds some extra weight, but I may not have to add any more counterweights, and now have twice the battery longevity.

Last night I got out in the yard just looking around, and I saw a black cat at 30 yds, and was like hey there's a black cat.  I then realized I just determined I saw a black cat in near total darkness, and could actually tell it was a BLACK cat.  That was WITHOUT my IR flashlight on.
View Quote

This will probably depend on the helmet, and other stuff you slap on the side, as well as how much you're willing to use the suspension system to compensate, *and* if it's enough for the vertical adjustment on your mount. I haven't tried my duals on my bump helmet yet, but on my HHV IIIA, in addition to the 2 Anker 15K mAh batteries, I still need twenty-five 147gr 9mm rounds as counterweight. This is with Earpro on AMP Arms, Nitecore Strobe, Fandy, MPLS, and Lanyard. I balance it perfectly on one finger at the center-point of the lid.

Jamey Caldwell put out a vid a while ago, about how he used no counter-weight, and just used the suspension system to compensate. I tried it, but I then didn't have enough height adjustment on the mount, I needed to tip it back some with the counterweight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
ok.  I guess I got ahead of myself there.  My plan is to add some wheel weights at the bottom of the battery pack pouch, if necessary.  I think it will work fine with not much weight.

got my kiloohm mount today, installed the cameras, and adjusted a little bit.  WOW.  This is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
More photos
Nightime - with settings adjusted to 360P - half moon - 60% cloud cover - location woodland - view over 300m in open country

Greyscale

and colour

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#5]
as above but under tree cover

and another

both at 360P greyscale
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
LUNA ELIR3 distance 300 to 350m - colour and greyscale - conditions half moon, 60% cloud cover - 360P

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#7]
Budget LED Illuminators 940nm (fandyfire) and 850nm (wayllshine)

Fandyfire 940nm - distance ~ 200m

Fandyfire 940nm - distance ~ 60m

Wayllshine 850nm - distance ~ 200m

Wayllshine 850nm - distance ~ 60m

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:48:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#8]
The LUNA ELIR 3 is a very good unit - very adjustable both in output and focus (best to watch video by nitewalker on set up) - the budget LED illuminators can be best characterised as being good at the price point.  

The photos (above) were taken on the same evening within half an hour of each other - some moon with skyglow is optimal for the Sionyx Aurora and from a practical point of view (and if you want to move safely, efficiently and effectively) the best compromise settings are 360P, greyscale, 30FPS
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I want one of these things- I missed one on the EE yesterday.

I found an Aurora sport for $499. Trying to decide if it's worth it. I have a gen 1 monocular and I'm sure the Aurora will blow it away
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Dovetail RHNOs on ebay , after looking for an adapter locally/online for my PVS7/14 RHNO I gave up and just bought another Rhino for the Sionyx set up. Now I just need an offset dovetail mount the Aurora. I'm only going to use a single Aurora,  so I'm not sure where to buy the adapter yet, Gaspain and Lionsgear both have setups for duals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/norotos-tatm-short-arm-nvg-mount-seal-cag-devgru-eagle-lbt-nsw/114260548626?hash=item1a9a759c12:g:ouwAAOSwMMNe5-fm
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By J_Wynn:
I want one of these things- I missed one on the EE yesterday.

I found an Aurora sport for $499. Trying to decide if it's worth it. I have a gen 1 monocular and I'm sure the Aurora will blow it away
View Quote

They were 299 a few months ago. I paid 499 for a new Aurora 1 a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

They were 299 a few months ago. I paid 499 for a new Aurora 1 a few months ago.
View Quote

That's one thing I find weird. I know prices fluctuate, especially in this economy but the prices on these moves so much it's crazy. Sometimes 399, now 599. Makes it so hard to commit
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By J_Wynn:

That's one thing I find weird. I know prices fluctuate, especially in this economy but the prices on these moves so much it's crazy. Sometimes 399, now 599. Makes it so hard to commit
View Quote

Set your top dollar and anything less is a "Buy it right fucking now"
I may have paid too much versus trying to catch a deal on the EE or EBay, but I have one in my hands and it was less than the lowest retail pricing that day with some extras thrown in
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Where in the heck you all seeing $499?

Rated for 4000 rounds of 5.56?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The eye relief of the Sionyx is 1/4", not suitable for weapon mounting in my opinion. Best to use a helmet mount.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thank you to everyone in the thread, especially Gaspain, for the info to get everything put together.

Here's the list of parts if anyone's interested:
Emerson PJ helmet, the Advanced version with the suspension built-in
Battery pouch
usb powerbank
Mesh helmet cover
940nm flashlight and scope ring
Walker Razor earpro with arc adapters
Rhino II
Wilcox shoe adapter
Gaspain's MkII mount and IR Dark eyecup
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Pro's scheduled for delivery today. Is it an arfcom rule that anything for sale *must* go in the EE?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 12:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Napalmsticks] [#18]
Got my PRO yesterday and must say that the pictures don't do it justice. The picture is really clear / crisp in the right lighting conditions and can see marginally well in a closed closet with dim light peaking through under the door. Probably not on par with Gen 3 devices in low light conditions but it does pretty well being at 1/3 the price IMO.

ETA: Is there any way to turn off the external lights on the unit?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Napalmsticks:
Got my PRO yesterday and must say that the pictures don't do it justice. The picture is really clear / crisp in the right lighting conditions and can see marginally well in a closed closet with dim light peaking through under the door. Probably not on par with Gen 3 devices in low light conditions but it does pretty well being at 1/3 the price IMO.

View Quote

I couldn't find any setting, I taped mine up on my sport before resorting to painting the unit. just painted over them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Any chance of a sale this weekend?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#21]
^I'm waiting, impatiently, but I'm waiting for sales to hit.... It's America's birthday weekend, I'm eyeballing the Pro... Please Sionyx, hear my plea...
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Napalmsticks:

View Quote
If they are like the older units.., no. Tape, paint, sharpie,...
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Sionyx Aurora Vs Flir Scout TK (photos taken on different days)

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#24]
They have arrived. I would like to thank PFran42 for the "Paper Towel Roll Photo Stand" idea

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:52:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#25]
Night One Report:

Crappy week to test, vs the Classic/Sport/Black, as the Moon is approaching Full in a hew days. According to my 'Moon App' - in about 2 weeks will be a good time to test.

Inside, at night, it is better, no doubt. I have a 'Galley Kitchen' like room, that connects my Master Bedroom to the Shower/Toilet area. It contains the Double Sinks and Walk-In Closet. No Windows. With the Gen 1 units, you would get that Milky White "Noise'ish" EVF image, and could "barely" see yourself in the mirror - no way you could spot, or engage a target with the originals without activating helmet or weapon IR. On the Pro - No problem. The EVF isn't "Crystal 720p Clear'", but it looks like that "Sparkly" screen you see as analog starts to work harder in lower light. I am NOT saying it is as good - I'm sure a 14 blows it away in the same area - just compared to the originals, that's what the image looks like.

That's all I could test last night. Activating the Nitecore NU05MI in IR Beacon Mode, was awesome - the umbrella effect was way more effective than with the Gen 1 units.

I did find a Firmware Bug though (FW is v1.00 - no update in the App): The unit doesn't remember the EVF Timeout Setting. My preference is NEVER, as it shuts off the "shoot me in the face" IR face detector. Looking in the mirror, selecting 'Never', from 'Auto', does indeed turn it off. But once you turn the unit off, and back on again, the IR detector is lit again - Even though the setting still says Never. You have to Long Press, go into the setting, select Auto - then go back in, and select Never...that turns it off again. I sent a report to Sionyx already.

More to come...
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
Sionyx Aurora Vs Flir Scout TK (photos taken on different days)

View Quote

Cool.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:44:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#27]
I'd like to get the opinion from people who have this and tube night vision.

I'm going to buy something this weekend. Aside from playing with it when I first get it. I am not going to use it. I live in a city and don't hunt. It's going to get stored with my armor as a just in case measure. Because of this, and a kid in the way, I'm not looking to spend a ton on NV. Been eyeing the Sionyx and and the ATN NVM14-2. I know the WP PVS14s are on a damn good sale right now, but after factoring helmet mounts and illuminator/laser it's going to throw me way, way over budget. Even the ATN is more than I should spend. :/
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Ups shows my black is out for delivery, I have already got my helmet and fandyfire ir illuminator, just waiting for my mounting parts to get here next week but I'll be playing with it all weekend.
I'll post up how I like it when It gets dark tonight.
Thanks to all of you guys who made it easy to order everything I need for my setup, saved a lot of trial and error.
Dan
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Funny story, my 12 year old son spends a lot of time hunting with me and all I own are surefire flashlights.
I have way to many but it's a hobby. Anyway I came in the other day and he had put an 18650 in the ir illuminator and he said, Dad I think this Chinese light is a piece of crap, it's not bright enough to see anything.
Gotta love it when your kids are just as excited about night vision as we are.
Dan
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#30]
Need to clear out some some space.

Classic - Recoil Rated, GPS, Compass, Can Use AR App When Available, 32Gb MicroSD Card: SOLD
Sport - SOLD

Polymer MACHOS w/(Real) Wilcox PVS-18 Shoe SOLD

(Thanks Guys!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe someone can guide me here. I ordered the Sionyx and want to use it with my helmet. It’s a revision with a Wilcox L4 shroud. What do I need to use my helmet with the Sionyx in a monocular configuration.

I originally was using NVGs that were issued to me by my S.O. But had to give them back due to transfer. The helmet is my personal purchase.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
Maybe someone can guide me here. I ordered the Sionyx and want to use it with my helmet. It’s a revision with a Wilcox L4 shroud. What do I need to use my helmet with the Sionyx in a monocular configuration.

I originally was using NVGs that were issued to me by my S.O. But had to give them back due to transfer. The helmet is my personal purchase.
View Quote

You need and arm that dovetails, and a bridge.

Dovetail ARMS: RHNO II with AKA2 socket, or Wilcox L4 or Cadex. Do not get a rhno 1, its bayonett is not correct.

Bridges: I make the IRmount Mk2 on etsy store kiloohm. My competitor makes the lions gear stuff out of Europe. Also there is a Wilcox MUM.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RABIDFOX50] [#33]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

You need and arm that dovetails, and a bridge.

Dovetail ARMS: RHNO II with AKA2 socket, or Wilcox L4 or Cadex. Do not get a rhno 1, its bayonett is not correct.

Bridges: I make the IRmount Mk2 on etsy store kiloohm. My competitor makes the lions gear stuff out of Europe. Also there is a Wilcox MUM.
View Quote

Outstanding, thank you. I have your Etsy store bookmarked. That mount you make, I thought it was for two IRs. I just need to mount the one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Outstanding, thank you. I have your Etsy store bookmarked. That mount you make, I thought it was for two IRs.
View Quote

It can do single or dual, just unscrew one side
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Outstanding, thank you. I have your Etsy store bookmarked. That mount you make, I thought it was for two IRs.
View Quote

Nobody is making a single device mount anymore, you just use one slot on the Gaspain, Lion's Gear, etc... Back in the day, there was a *very nice* Monocular Mount called the CHAIM - it even mounted to Bayonet mounts...he stopped making them. Your only other option is a real or clone SkeetIR Bridge - you can remove one arm on those.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Didn't know that, cool.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Got the black and played around with it. It lines up perfectly with the Vortex Strikefire and I'll probably go out to our farm and shoot a little bit tomorrow night.
I'm waiting for the rest of my stuff to get here so I can helmet mount it but it's really nice knowing how good it works with the Vortex.
I'll post back tomorrow evening after I get out there. We own enough land that I can get away with shooting at night without a suppressor.
Dan
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Awesome, thank you!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Night One Report:

Crappy week to test, vs the Classic/Sport/Black, as the Moon is approaching Full in a hew days. According to my 'Moon App' - in about 2 weeks will be a good time to test.

Inside, at night, it is better, no doubt. I have a 'Galley Kitchen' like room, that connects my Master Bedroom to the Shower/Toilet area. It contains the Double Sinks and Walk-In Closet. No Windows. With the Gen 1 units, you would get that Milky White "Noise'ish" EVF image, and could "barely" see yourself in the mirror - no way you could spot, or engage a target with the originals without activating helmet or weapon IR. On the Pro - No problem. The EVF isn't "Crystal 720p Clear'", but it looks like that "Sparkly" screen you see as analog starts to work harder in lower light. I am NOT saying it is as good - I'm sure a 14 blows it away in the same area - just compared to the originals, that's what the image looks like.

That's all I could test last night. Activating the Nitecore NU05MI in IR Beacon Mode, was awesome - the umbrella effect was way more effective than with the Gen 1 units.

View Quote

Nice job with the set up - looks like you went all the way with Wilcox.  Looking forward to your review. 2x sensitivity is quite a lot when you think about it.  For example it allows you to run at 720p x 30fps instead of 360p x 30fps (with the non pro) or in even lower light conditions 360p x 30fps instead of 360p x 15fps (with the non pro).  Strong wins for useability as practical NVG (or for those that get motion sick going from 30fps to 60fps).  

Thermal is fantastic but expensive for real resolution and distance.  For me, the FLIR TK is used as a spotter - e.g. injured non-responsive person scenario in remote location.  (NVG to navigate in - thermal to find the person when in close - day/night).  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Also, I would like to see SIOnyx add some basic image enhancement algorithms - allowing the user to change palettes for different types of enhancements - this is very easy to do e.g. percentile clips, sun angle, agc, edge enhancement, color drpaes, histogram equalisation etc. The big wins for these devices will be in the area of enhancement and data displays (maps, charts, people, targets etc).  The competition will come from other forms of Augmented Reality goggles.  

It will very interesting to see where the MIL will go as all of this "new" technology puts out a lot of EM-r and EM-r is readily detectable if your enemy is sophisticated and doesn't use goats as alarm signals.

PS does the AR work on your unit - it still doesn't work on my vanilla Aurora.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I got a PTS MTEK Flux bump helmet. $145 shipped 'ish.

As of now I can't recommend it. But damn would I like to as it is very well built, really nice. But there are 3 major issues that the bog standard $45 Emerson helmet does just fine.

1. Item 1
  2. The shroud and side panels are held on with four 1.5mm screws, this is unsat to the max. The original Flux, the $1800 version had bonded panels. I ended up gluing mine on like the original.
  3. Item 2
  4. The removable T nuts are fine, yet the sockets rotate. Terrible, took 10 minute to remove 1 screw. I added some Sugru moldable glue to fix them.
  5. Item 3
  6. The shroud will not accept the Norotros RHNO II or Cadex. It will not clip in fully, but partially. @Pfran42 had a Wilcox L4 clone that did work. Deal breaker and Dremmel maker.

more info and photos in a few days

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Comparison of colour palettes

FLIR scout TK thermal - SIOnyx Aurora - Pulsar Challenger Gen1+ tube

Note the thermal imagery will appear the same even if there is no ambient light (no sky glow, no moon or stars and 100% cloud cover).

In the white heat image (with insta alert) a human would be bright orange.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Nice job with the set up - looks like you went all the way with Wilcox.  Looking forward to your review. 2x sensitivity is quite a lot when you think about it.  For example it allows you to run at 720p x 30fps instead of 360p x 30fps (with the non pro) or in even lower light conditions 360p x 30fps instead of 360p x 15fps (with the non pro).  Strong wins for useability as practical NVG (or for those that get motion sick going from 30fps to 60fps).  

Thermal is fantastic but expensive for real resolution and distance.  For me, the FLIR TK is used as a spotter - e.g. injured non-responsive person scenario in remote location.  (NVG to navigate in - thermal to find the person when in close - day/night).  
View Quote

Not Wilcox, SOTAC Clones. After Nick Chen posted about the Bridge being bomb-proof, I grabbed one, and a "G-24" as well - not disappointed, although a RHINO II gives you more Tilt (Up) if you need it, luckily I don't. If Wilcox didn't think their stuff was made out of Platinum, instead of Aluminum, I'd even pay a bit more for their stuff - but $725 combined, for some Aluminum and Steel - yea -no. They don't care - they get multi-million dollar contracts from .gov, on the regular - Civ/LE sales probably covers their Starbucks tab.

I don't run Video mode unless I'm recording, which is rare. You may know better than me, as you seem to know your stuff when it comes to empirical data, but I find no difference between Photo mode, and Video mode, as far as image quality goes. You can, obviously, make it worse in Video mode, with the wrong settings, like 60fps.... Photo mode is 1 click on the dial, and no settings to adjust. I may fire off a message to Sionyx, and get their take.

I woke up at 0430 today and went to get the mail at ~0445, with the Pro's. The box is about a hundred yards down the road (rural/"boonies"). I didn't see the Moon (0430 Moon Set on my app) - The Pro image was very, very nice. I wish I remembered to grab the Sport or Classic, to compare, but I didn't. I can't be positive that I didn't catch the coming dawn "brightening", but very pleased with test day #2. My nearest "city lights" (basically a Super-Walmart shopping center) is about 10 miles away.

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#44]

PS does the AR work on your unit - it still doesn't work on my vanilla Aurora.
View Quote

Never tried it, no interest on my part. What do you like about it, for a solo user?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I got a PTS MTEK Flux bump helmet. $145 shipped 'ish.

As of now I can't recommend it. But damn would I like to as it is very well built, really nice. But there are 3 major issues that the bog standard $45 Emerson helmet does just fine.

1. Item 1
  2. The shroud and side panels are held on with four 1.5mm screws, this is unsat to the max. The original Flux, the $1800 version had bonded panels. I ended up gluing mine on like the original.
  3. Item 2
  4. The removable T nuts are fine, yet the sockets rotate. Terrible, took 10 minute to remove 1 screw. I added some Sugru moldable glue to fix them.
  5. Item 3
  6. The shroud will not accept the Norotros RHNO II or Cadex. It will not clip in fully, but partially. @Pfran42 had a Wilcox L4 clone that did work. Deal breaker and Dremmel maker.

more info and photos in a few days

View Quote

I took mine apart to install RAC Arm adapters underneath the Rails. I read Nick Chen's article on the helmet, so knew of the construction differences. The only problem I had was when re-installing the Rail Spacer with those Phillips screws - I stripped one (helmet threads most likely). I may have been ham fisted, can't remember. I just added some Vibra-Tite VC-3, let it dry, and it went in fine. Using the RAC Arms puts some decent pressure on the Rails, but mine are holding fine (even that stripped area, as it was the one at the very back/bottom). I can see, if the large Bolt doesn't release from the T-Nut, that spinning could be a PITA - luckily all mine came out. If I ever take mine apart again, I may secure them to the Spacer. After reading that other thread about a guy's RII, I tried mine, and it too wouldn't lock in - but it's Cerakoted. FortyDelta got his in, and his RII clipped right in, so maybe mfg tolerance difference? I agree - for a bump, almost anything will work (if all you want is a platform), so no need to spend crazy. I liked that MTEK at least had some input with it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:41:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#46]
Comparison of colour palettes

FLIR scout TK thermal - SIOnyx Aurora - Pulsar Challenger Gen1+ tube

View Quote

I wonder what it would look like with the FLIR Black Hot, and Aurora Grayscale, in a Bino config? They look like they match up, nicely.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Works fine with a Breach
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

Never tried it, no interest on my part. What do you like about it, for a solo user?
View Quote

For SAR - getting to a point quickly - particularly where you have to go in on foot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#49]

For SAR - getting to a point quickly - particularly where you have to go in on foot.
View Quote

Gotcha! :thumbsup:
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Just ordered an original aurora black. And a 940nm IR light.

Hoping to sort out some arrangement to make this work with a 22 rig to take out some foxes.

Anyone mounted this on their rimfire and had good luck?

Still working my way thru this excellent thread.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top