User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"There was a lot of hype about this Dead Air Sierra 5.  The buildup was like one calendar year complete with "teaser style delayed marketing release.

For a company that has never made a 5.56mm suppressor, the Sierra 5 was a decent first attempt"

TBAC does it straightforward without the snide remarks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The mental gymnastics people are performing to try to turn this test into a bad thing for Griffin is reminiscent of how the hypocritical liberal media contorts things.  Meanwhile, TBAC posts comparison videos and people are overwhelmingly supportive (myself included, because these tests are great for consumers).

What is not to love when manufacturers post video tests using expensive equipment and stated methodology?

"There was a lot of hype about this Dead Air Sierra 5.  The buildup was like one calendar year complete with "teaser style delayed marketing release.

For a company that has never made a 5.56mm suppressor, the Sierra 5 was a decent first attempt"

The difference is that TBAC uses a very open and repeatable test method.  I can reproduce their results with my equipment.  Griffin is using their own methods in mic placement and how they process the signal.  Their method is frankly, questionable, now that I see more of how they're testing.  When Pew Science advertises that you can't trust manufacturers, this is the fodder.  It makes us all look bad and it's a frustrating headwind for those of us that want to release trustworthy data.     ETA:  I see GA just posted a high level description of their process.  I won't get into specifics, but my statement still holds true.  The generic description above doesn't explain enough to change my mind.  

This is purely marketing spin.  For example, stating that our 5.56 can was hyped and we built it up.  People asked over a year ago and we said we'd release one.  We actually thought it'd release Summer of last year, but that wasn't in the cards and we did everything possible to NOT bring it up.  We never stated a date and the internet built the hype.  Our Marketing guys did a great job the month before release advertising it and getting the word out--all while we had product on the shelves for customers.  GA is indeed snide in how they handle themselves.  Every product launch by Dead Air is seen as an opportunity for them to tag along for some sales.  They've even bought many domain similar names of their competitors (say... DeadAirSuppressors.com), but not quite the actual name of the company so they can steer customers to their website instead.  If it's not trademarked or under some form of IP, it's fair game to them.  They can justify it and giggle all they want at how sneaky they are in business, but it's still douchey.  

It is what it is and people should understand the source.  Hey, I'm just calling it how it is.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DeadAirSuppressors.com
View Quote

Shenanigans.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The difference is that TBAC uses a very open and repeatable test method.  I can reproduce their results with my equipment.  Griffin is using their own methods in mic placement and how they process the signal.  Their method is frankly, questionable, now that I see more of how they're testing.  When Pew Science advertises that you can't trust manufacturers, this is the fodder.  It makes us all look bad and it's a frustrating headwind for those of us that want to release trustworthy data.     ETA:  I see GA just posted a high level description of their process.  I won't get into specifics, but my statement still holds true.  The generic description above doesn't explain enough to change my mind.  

This is purely marketing spin.  For example, stating that our 5.56 can was hyped and we built it up.  People asked over a year ago and we said we'd release one.  We actually thought it'd release Summer of last year, but that wasn't in the cards and we did everything possible to NOT bring it up.  We never stated a date and the internet built the hype.  Our Marketing guys did a great job the month before release advertising it and getting the word out--all while we had product on the shelves for customers.  GA is indeed snide in how they handle themselves.  Every product launch by Dead Air is seen as an opportunity for them to tag along for some sales.  They've even bought many domain similar names of their competitors (say... DeadAirSuppressors.com), but not quite the actual name of the company so they can steer customers to their website instead.  If it's not trademarked or under some form of IP, it's fair game to them.  They can justify it and giggle all they want at how sneaky they are in business, but it's still douchey.  

It is what it is and people should understand the source.  Hey, I'm just calling it how it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The mental gymnastics people are performing to try to turn this test into a bad thing for Griffin is reminiscent of how the hypocritical liberal media contorts things.  Meanwhile, TBAC posts comparison videos and people are overwhelmingly supportive (myself included, because these tests are great for consumers).

What is not to love when manufacturers post video tests using expensive equipment and stated methodology?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I, for one, can’t wait until @TOOL1075 tests these. Because science.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

(say... DeadAirSuppressors.com)
View Quote

This is comically low
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
(snip)

They've even bought many domain similar names of their competitors (say... DeadAirSuppressors.com), but not quite the actual name of the company so they can steer customers to their website instead.  

(snip)
View Quote

Wow...

That's kind of a new level of shitty I wasn't aware of.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

(snip) You are somewhat non objectively implying we don’t have character.  I am a combat veteran. (snip)

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(snip) You are somewhat non objectively implying we don’t have character.  I am a combat veteran. (snip)

This turned into another Griffin stolen valor thread.

Ironic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^This - If this thread was without snide remarks/undermining, most people here would just take it matter of factly. But it is the multiple times of questionable and undermining of other manufacturers products that leave a bad taste to my (and many others) perception of @Green0 and ultimately, GA products.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:20:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is exactly it... there is no need for Griffin to bash their competition.  Leaves a sour taste in my mouth of the unprofessional nature of this company.  Having to boast about being a combat veteran to boost their sales is straight up fucking retarded.

For all we know the owners of Griffin were a bunch of bitch ass REMF / POG fuck sticks sitting at a FOB their entire deployment in country.    If you're going to say its a combat vet owned and ran company than provide the proof.    Probably a bunch of prior national guardsmen that run this company that hide behind the "combat veteran" symbol.  Don't get me wrong I know plenty of NG folks that have been in the shit.

I would really like to believe I am wrong here and really wish for Green to expand upon this since he is so adamant on expressing that his company is combat vet owned and ran.  I feel like this this a valid request since he isn't shy about boasting it.  Usually when someone has to say they are a combat vet to validate it typically isn't the case ie what I said above. Being hit with mortars at a huge FOB 600 yards away doesn't make you a combat vet imo.

But ultimately I can be completely wrong and am willing to admit that… I just am calling it as I see it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Lol. That’s KB/Q level guerrilla marketing right there. Seeing as how Griffin gets shit on constantly in social media, that’s fucking hilarious.  I wonder how well these tactics work to drive sales (pre and post call out).

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lol. That’s KB/Q level guerrilla marketing right there. Seeing as how Griffin gets shit on constantly in social media, that’s fucking hilarious.  I wonder how well these tactics work to drive sales (pre and post call out).

View Quote

No one’s even stated the best part yet. Probably just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#18]
ardent capitalist

encounters sass

finds evidence of down and dirty marketing

only thing that seems reasonable about criticism here is questioning of testing parameters, which -thinking outloud- taking as a given would negate comparing the posted vid to others, but doesn't sound like it aught to negate comparisons made within it. either way the sierra numbers they got were rite inline with what dead air stated as a 'good tune' expectation @ear in the sierra thread (137db) so i don't imagine they're that far off, assuming they are.

until i hear about them screwing over customers or out-rite lying about performance gruff marketing just doesn't bother me much, there's about 1000 things way higher on my priority list and i don't have enough money to buy as a virtue signal
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is exactly it... there is no need for Griffin to bash their competition.  Leaves a sour taste in my mouth of the unprofessional nature of this company.  Having to boast about being a combat veteran to boost their sales is straight up fucking retarded.

For all we know the owners of Griffin were a bunch of bitch ass REMF / POG fuck sticks sitting at a FOB their entire deployment in country.    If you're going to say its a combat vet owned and ran company than provide the proof.    Probably a bunch of prior national guardsmen that run this company that hide behind the "combat veteran" symbol.  Don't get me wrong I know plenty of NG folks that have been in the shit.

I would really like to believe I am wrong here and really wish for Green to expand upon this since he is so adamant on expressing that his company is combat vet owned and ran.  I feel like this this a valid request since he isn't shy about boasting it.  Usually when someone has to say they are a combat vet to validate it typically isn't the case ie what I said above. Being hit with mortars at a huge FOB 600 yards away doesn't make you a combat vet imo.

But ultimately I can be completely wrong and am willing to admit that… I just am calling it as I see it.
View Quote

Both John McCain and John Kerry were "combat veterans", fwiw.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It makes us all look bad and it's a frustrating headwind for those of us that want to release trustworthy data.  

View Quote

I might have missed it, but has DA started releasing data other than the chart in the manual?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
It just keeps getting better...
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

paco_ramirez now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Where have you been hiding?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@paco_ramirez

What is the best part?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol. That’s KB/Q level guerrilla marketing right there.

View Quote

But KB is usually kinda funny when he does it, OP is usually kinda pathetic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread didn’t go the way the OP thought it would go.

Can someone please IM me what Pacoramirez was alluding to.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before, it was potentially illegal brand/trademark infringement accusations.

Now it’s stolen valor accusations

How exactly are you “calling it like you see it” with no proof of anything with these remarks?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

paco_ramirez now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Where have you been hiding?
View Quote

Unfortunately, it wasn’t here...

Pew Science Sound Signature Review - CGS Helios QD on MK18
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

+2
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

People are pathetic.  I never once sat out a mission no matter how dangerous.  I once was the only lower enlisted volunteer to do the second half of a 36 hour out of AO mission that had killed one of the guys in my platoon with an EFP and we were going over the same roads.

If I hadn’t volunteered I don’t think either of the nco’s that went would have been ashamed enough to rodger up.  That wasn’t because I was suicidal, that was because it was fucking embarrassing standing there in a quiet room with nobody raising their hand because everyone thought it was a death mission. The platoon had partially farmed it out to our Samarra IP liason PSD detail in a political move for the morale of the people back with the platoon.  They comprised the mission of platoon elements that were working satellite out of smaller locations and supposedly less effected by the death of our friend which was not true. So after four hours of our own missions, around dusk that day, with no rest, we left on 36 hours more operations with no rest.  We had to stop for EOD eight times on that one mission.

In 2005, the military was spreading the infantry really thin to the effect our platoon was supporting 4 different missions at three different locations.  The reason the casualties in Iraq were low was primarily that very few of the ~150,000 deployed people were actually in the combat zone, and medical care was saving a lot of terribly maimed people like no other war previous to that.

John McCain supposedly hung POWs out to dry.  John Kerry was a known pussy who wrote himself up for purple hearts to end his tour early.  Thats an absurd post right there.

Later on a job contracting I was well gunning during a time when Iranian operatives brained two of our ~21 well gunners with .32 pistols at the ECP to the green zone.  I didn’t quit my job because there was a decent threat of getting shot in the head by an Iranian operative.  I went to work and fortunately SF units in the AO got actionable intel and took down the cell eventually.

When I quit contracting I completed my last of 5 contract tours, and only quit because my wife showed me an ultrasound and I realized I had a responsibility to be alive and present to be my sons dad.

For the record I consider those two ncos who rodgered up, to be brave as fuck. One of them was shot on that deployment and was only away from the platoon for one day.  The other had three kids and a wife to think about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both John McCain and John Kerry were "combat veterans", fwiw.

People are pathetic.  I never once sat out a mission no matter how dangerous.  I once was the only lower enlisted volunteer to do the second half of a 36 hour out of AO mission that had killed one of the guys in my platoon with an EFP and we were going over the same roads.

If I hadn’t volunteered I don’t think either of the nco’s that went would have been ashamed enough to rodger up.  That wasn’t because I was suicidal, that was because it was fucking embarrassing standing there in a quiet room with nobody raising their hand because everyone thought it was a death mission. The platoon had partially farmed it out to our Samarra IP liason PSD detail in a political move for the morale of the people back with the platoon.  They comprised the mission of platoon elements that were working satellite out of smaller locations and supposedly less effected by the death of our friend which was not true. So after four hours of our own missions, around dusk that day, with no rest, we left on 36 hours more operations with no rest.  We had to stop for EOD eight times on that one mission.

In 2005, the military was spreading the infantry really thin to the effect our platoon was supporting 4 different missions at three different locations.  The reason the casualties in Iraq were low was primarily that very few of the ~150,000 deployed people were actually in the combat zone, and medical care was saving a lot of terribly maimed people like no other war previous to that.

John McCain supposedly hung POWs out to dry.  John Kerry was a known pussy who wrote himself up for purple hearts to end his tour early.  Thats an absurd post right there.

Later on a job contracting I was well gunning during a time when Iranian operatives brained two of our ~21 well gunners with .32 pistols at the ECP to the green zone.  I didn’t quit my job because there was a decent threat of getting shot in the head by an Iranian operative.  I went to work and fortunately SF units in the AO got actionable intel and took down the cell eventually.

When I quit contracting I completed my last of 5 contract tours, and only quit because my wife showed me an ultrasound and I realized I had a responsibility to be alive and present to be my sons dad.

For the record I consider those two ncos who rodgered up, to be brave as fuck. One of them was shot on that deployment and was only away from the platoon for one day.  The other had three kids and a wife to think about.

I'm merely pointing out that "combat veteran" is not a reliable indicator of character. To use it as such rings just as hollow as the people or companies who advertise their faith for the same reason.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#35]
What does being a vet have to do with buying up competitors domain names and redirecting them to your site?

Is that better than a meme comparing Griffin's mounts and cans to KAC’s mounts n cans character wise?

At least Green0 acknowledged he doesn’t mind the negative attention.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good point.  Not much at all.  They aren't domain names.  They are search terms- redirects. The actual domain names are all owned by the companies.  If they wanted search terms they cost like $18 per year each.
View Quote

Comes across as a bit superfluous and unscrupulous. Especially if your product is better than "a decent first attempt".
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Cans look promising, can't wait for the HRT model. Currently have the 30sdk and it's one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There was a point when the AR industry was doing terribly and everyone was getting into silencers and if there are 200+ brands, you begin to worry about becoming a needle in a haystack of needles at a point.  Silencerco employees have created at least four companies [DA, Rugged, gunworx, kg made], (Im probably missing several more).  Kevin started AAC, Sig and Q, Gemtech’s sale created Maxim and forced GSL to sell direct, and started CMMG which appears to be a GSL oem product. Thats three new companies fracturing from one.  This starts to look like every five years there will be four times as many companies in the market.

Strong companies make excellent products.  Strong companies are built over decades of time and dedicated effort. Laypeople on the street aren’t subject matter experts so they are likely to buy whatever product they see.

When Doug Olson made the M4QD, he had been involved with silencers for like 27 years from Crane to Qualatech, to AWC, to KAC, where it seems he did some of his best work.  Great things don’t happen as fast as one would generally expect them to.

I have bought maybe 23 1911’s in my life.  A few great pistols, a lot of awful performing generic brand guns. The last one I bought was a Colt xse govt (a standard gun).  The idea of a bunch of dedicated people making a great product is something I hope continues far into the future.  That gun I adjusted the combination spring to drop the trigger weight to 3.25 lbs, and on the first range trip it put 4 rounds of Winchester white box into 2” at 25yds standing unsupported- dead center of the target.  That was a rewarding experience.

View Quote

I guess I missed something. Those are the reasons for buying search term redirects?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Good point.  Not much at all.  They aren't domain names.  They are search terms- redirects. The actual domain names are all owned by the companies.  If they wanted search terms they cost like $18 per year each.
View Quote

It's still a scummy unethical practice to use competitors names to redirect to your website.

Companies that do such bullshit are not companies I respect.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I guess I missed something. Those are the reasons for buying search term redirects?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a point when the AR industry was doing terribly and everyone was getting into silencers and if there are 200+ brands, you begin to worry about becoming a needle in a haystack of needles at a point.  Silencerco employees have created at least four companies [DA, Rugged, gunworx, kg made], (Im probably missing several more).  Kevin started AAC, Sig and Q, Gemtech’s sale created Maxim and forced GSL to sell direct, and started CMMG which appears to be a GSL oem product. Thats three new companies fracturing from one.  This starts to look like every five years there will be four times as many companies in the market.

Strong companies make excellent products.  Strong companies are built over decades of time and dedicated effort. Laypeople on the street aren’t subject matter experts so they are likely to buy whatever product they see.

When Doug Olson made the M4QD, he had been involved with silencers for like 27 years from Crane to Qualatech, to AWC, to KAC, where it seems he did some of his best work.  Great things don’t happen as fast as one would generally expect them to.

I have bought maybe 23 1911’s in my life.  A few great pistols, a lot of awful performing generic brand guns. The last one I bought was a Colt xse govt (a standard gun).  The idea of a bunch of dedicated people making a great product is something I hope continues far into the future.  That gun I adjusted the combination spring to drop the trigger weight to 3.25 lbs, and on the first range trip it put 4 rounds of Winchester white box into 2” at 25yds standing unsupported- dead center of the target.  That was a rewarding experience.

That’s their justification for shady marketing tactics and general douchebagery I guess.  The thing that kills me about all of this is we are all on the same team here.  We all love suppressors or we wouldn’t be in this sub forum.  No need for name calling on the playground and it seems to me (minus some Kevin B stuff), no one is comparing penis sizes in the industry except one of the players… it’s just childish and that’s what shows character.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

They’re just jelly you were smart enough to buy those.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

but I am also wondering if there are any legality issues with Griffin comparing their cans with other direct competition?  
View Quote
I run R&D for a product line for a large company.  We do competitive benchmarking all the time and use the data to sell to customers.  We don't release vids though, why?  My scary little jewish lawyer says it would be perfectly ethical to do so as long as the tests are fair.  However, he says it's not worth it because someone could still get butthurt and sue us which is expensive if we win, which we should, and even more expensive if someone like you is on the jury.  So now we only do live testing for big customers and no video.  

Our competition does video though, and you can bet your ass my scary little lawyer would sue the shit out of them if any of it were unethical or illegal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I run R&D for a product line for a large company.  We do competitive benchmarking all the time and use the data to sell to customers.  We don't release vids though, why?  My scary little jewish lawyer says it would be perfectly ethical to do so as long as the tests are fair.  However, he says it's not worth it because someone could still get butthurt and sue us which is expensive if we win, which we should, and even more expensive if someone like you is on the jury.  So now we only do live testing for big customers and no video.  

Our competition does video though, and you can bet your ass my scary little lawyer would sue the shit out of them if any of it were unethical or illegal.
View Quote

You seem like a peach.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You seem like a peach.
View Quote
I see you haven't dealt with a lot of lawyers, I said that out of respect.  It's like saying my chef is French or my bladesmith is Japanese.  There's a reason rap lyrics are full of lines like "Getting locked up for crimes and ya lawyer's ain't Jewish! STUPID!"
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This exactly. It wasn't a simple "here's the video link and the data" like TBAC posts.

It's just another of the long list of examples of GA's classless way to run a company, and people take notice. And it's all the same fanboys and griffin dealers coming out to defend GA.

If they could just make the cans without acting a fool that'd be great, but that ain't the case.

I feel bad even posting/bumping the thread, by giving austin what he wants, "all press is good press".
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This exactly. It wasn't a simple "here's the video link and the data" like TBAC posts.

It's just another of the long list of examples of GA's classless way to run a company, and people take notice. And it's all the same fanboys and griffin dealers coming out to defend GA.

If they could just make the cans without acting a fool that'd be great, but that ain't the case.

I feel bad even posting/bumping the thread, by giving austin what he wants, "all press is good press".
View Quote

I own griffin products, I’ll probably buy more, I’ve not defended anything. They’re adults, they can defend themselves.

At this point I’m just here for the lolz and the butthurt.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I own griffin products, I’ll probably buy more, I’ve not defended anything. They’re adults, they can defend themselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread has evolved for sure.

The Mod4 Griffin cans are great.  I have shot many others and feel they're the best performance out at the moment (or right there when combining all variables).

That said, the company needs to re-image quite a bit.  Their brand, outside of products, has taken a few major black eyes.  I believe Austin cares about the industry.  It's how this caring manifests which drives threads like this...
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top