Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 11 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:12:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Findsman] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:

Does the new ambi-safety dig into your hand/trigger finger on your dominant hand, much like the scorpion or is there clearance?
View Quote

With the safety flipped to fire, stock BCM grip, I've got just under a half-inch of clearance between the bottom edge of the safety and the top of my thumb.  No contact at all.

Yes, I have a Scorpion that I swapped the safeties out on so I know exactly what you refer to.  That was a bad design.  

ETA - Did a quick field strip.  Don't want to do a complete pull-down like I did when removing the barrel from the 16".  Probably not putting a 51T mount on the 20" this time.  

Attachment Attached File

Only real difference is the safety.  Anything else is a camera perspective.

Attachment Attached File

Barrel profiles under the handguards are identical.  Same gas block, same gas system.

Attachment Attached File

Bolt groups are identical.  Stock assemblies are identical.

The new safety and the longer barrel seem to be the only differences.  The safety is a big improvement over the original, unfortunate that Manticore's first VHS/Hellion product got upstaged by a factory fix/change.    Trigger feels the same between the two as well.  Handling-wise, the 16" is definitely more maneuverable given that it has 4" less barrel hanging out the front.  The Holosun is also a little faster to acquire.  Weight difference is fairly inconsequential, I think the micro-prism messes with that more than anything else.  I think the 16" will be a better choice if you're going to hang a suppressor off the end since it'll bring that weight closer in.

Overall hand-wavy thoughts; the 16" is better for a CQB gun, excellent with a red dot, probably better to run with a suppressor.  The 20" makes for an interesting more DMR-like configuration.  Also, if you played Far Cry 5/6, it's the version that appeared in those games.    I think it would function fine with a red dot and forward grip as well, you'll just be more likely to bang the barrel into things.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

With the safety flipped to fire, stock BCM grip, I've got just under a half-inch of clearance between the bottom edge of the safety and the top of my thumb.  No contact at all.

Yes, I have a Scorpion that I swapped the safeties out on so I know exactly what you refer to.  That was a bad design.  

ETA - Did a quick field strip.  Don't want to do a complete pull-down like I did when removing the barrel from the 16".  Probably not putting a 51T mount on the 20" this time.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/VHS_16_vs_20_JPG-2945672.JPG
Only real difference is the safety.  Anything else is a camera perspective.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/VHS_barrel_profiles_JPG-2945673.JPG
Barrel profiles under the handguards are identical.  Same gas block, same gas system.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/VHS_bolt_groups_JPG-2945674.JPG
Bolt groups are identical.  Stock assemblies are identical.

The new safety and the longer barrel seem to be the only differences.  The safety is a big improvement over the original, unfortunate that Manticore's first VHS/Hellion product got upstaged by a factory fix/change.    Trigger feels the same between the two as well.  Handling-wise, the 16" is definitely more maneuverable given that it has 4" less barrel hanging out the front.  The Holosun is also a little faster to acquire.  Weight difference is fairly inconsequential, I think the micro-prism messes with that more than anything else.  I think the 16" will be a better choice if you're going to hang a suppressor off the end since it'll bring that weight closer in.

Overall hand-wavy thoughts; the 16" is better for a CQB gun, excellent with a red dot, probably better to run with a suppressor.  The 20" makes for an interesting more DMR-like configuration.  Also, if you played Far Cry 5/6, it's the version that appeared in those games.    I think it would function fine with a red dot and forward grip as well, you'll just be more likely to bang the barrel into things.
View Quote

Excellent write up, much appreciated!

Glad to know the safety doesn’t dig in, I was worried about it
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karter14171] [#3]

I'll be honest, I'm not entirely blown away by it yet.  Mostly just larping around the house so far though.  

Since it's a micro-prism, there's a definitely tradeoff in the optic brightness.  Small objective lens, kinda dim if there's not good backlighting.  It does sit at the right eye level with the mount configured at its lowest, at least for me.  I've been bumping it forward/backward a slot on the rail trying to hit the exact eye relief.  I have it two forward from when I took the pic and it seems okay.

I went with the Aurora 5.56/.308 reticle and I think it was the right choice for me.  I'm not military-trained so mildot reticles are dark magic to me.    I like the Aurora design that comes in the 5x more than the Raptor in the 3x.

So that's probably not quite the stellar endorsement you were hoping for.  Some of it might be on me to accept the tradeoffs the micro-prism has for the size/weight reduction; I have a bunch of the "full-size" prisms from PA that I've liked and the optical clarity of a real ACOG is even a step above those but you pay for that.  Maybe as I play with it more outside it'll shine.

I'll try to get some comparison pics between the 16/20 today.  The safety is the only overt difference I can really see aside from the barrel length.  I put an A1 grip on the 16" version, seems like the angle works better with the goofy safety lever.  I don't feel as compelled to swap the BCM grip on the 20" with the new safety, seems fairly easily to operate.

ETA - Moved pics to page 11, at the top.
View Quote

Awesome info, thanks for sharing it. You're right that it wasn't the endorsement I was hoping for but I'd rather that than fork out a bunch of dough for an optic that is meh on the platform. Maybe go with a LPVO when I get my hands on a 20".
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 6:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karter14171] [#4]
What WML setups are folks running on their hellion?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally was able to play with the new 20". Already replaced the grip with something that looks more appropriate, and tossed a 4x Elcan on it. I like it.

IMG_4042 by MajorLeagueHooker, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
What pistol grip is this?  Looks very good
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By unrock:
What pistol grip is this?  Looks very good
View Quote

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024427485?pid=163610
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:49:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#9]
Originally Posted By Karter14171:
What WML setups are folks running on their hellion?
View Quote

I think that this setup is pretty much perfect. Surefire M640 Pro with ST07 switch. As you can see, the tape switch is pretty tight, but it just barely reaches.

Also, the BG18 grip is pretty much perfect for this rifle, and the style of backstrap does really improve the reach to the old style safety.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CFII:
Finally was able to play with the new 20". Already replaced the grip with something that looks more appropriate, and tossed a 4x Elcan on it. I like it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53174217885_0e3dd8cdd3_b.jpgIMG_4042 by MajorLeagueHooker, on Flickr
View Quote

What grip is it so I can have it ready for mine when I get it…
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

https://i.ibb.co/f0ZhK16/20230909-114545.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/72B9RRx/20230909-114558.jpg

I think that this setup is pretty much perfect. Surefire M640 Pro with ST07 switch. As you can see, the tape switch is pretty tight, but it just barely reaches.

Also, the BG18 grip is pretty much perfect for this rifle, and the style of backstrap does really improve the reach to the old style safety.
View Quote

Yeah that looks pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Watch_this71:

What grip is it so I can have it ready for mine when I get it…
View Quote

Its actually a Wilson Combat.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024427485?pid=163610
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]

https://i.ibb.co/f0ZhK16/20230909-114545.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/72B9RRx/20230909-114558.jpg

View Quote

Is the remote switch cable in any danger of contact w/a hot bbl?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 9:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#14]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
View Quote

No, it's held far away from the barrel by the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

The key is to thread the ST07 wiring as I did, through the handguard vents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there any word on if Springfield plans to sell replacement barrels? It'd be nice to pick up a 20" spare barrel for my 16" since barrel removal is easy enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BMA:
Is there any word on if Springfield plans to sell replacement barrels? It'd be nice to pick up a 20" spare barrel for my 16" since barrel removal is easy enough.
View Quote
Id say it depends on if the barrel was made in Croatia or here.  If croatia = importing barrels is hard if I remember right.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any recoil / "smoothness" difference between the 16" vs 20"?

Wondering if the 20" is more gassed due to the longer barrel but equal distance gas block.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Is there any recoil / "smoothness" difference between the 16" vs 20"?

Wondering if the 20" is more gassed due to the longer barrel but equal distance gas block.
View Quote

Based on vids I’ve seen online it seems the gasblock is adjusted accordingly with the barrel length and it shoots very smooth in the 20” configuration
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know if they’ll start shipping the newer style of safety lever on the 16s or only the 20s?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Gret question 'Aces!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
Anyone know if they’ll start shipping the newer style of safety lever on the 16s or only the 20s?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish we could get the mag wells that accept G36 mags.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered a pair of the Wilson Combat grips and swapped them onto my VHSs.  Quite nice, grip angle works pretty well.  They look decently like the HS factory grips.

Went through Brownells since I have Edge and the grips were $20-ish each.  https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-grips/wilson-combat-ar-platform-pistol-grip/?sku=430101505

Good find on these!
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered a pair of the Wilson Combat grips and swapped them onto my VHSs.  Quite nice, grip angle works pretty well.  They look decently like the HS factory grips.

Went through Brownells since I have Edge and the grips were $20-ish each.  https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-grips/wilson-combat-ar-platform-pistol-grip/?sku=430101505

Good find on these!
View Quote

I’m really thinking of getting one, who makes it for them?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Good find on these!
View Quote

Glad you like them as well. I really like the way it looks on my VHS. Much better than the stock grip.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 13th_Warrior:  I wish we could get the mag wells that accept G36 mags.
View Quote

It's just a piece of plastic.  Why don't you print em?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Bayonet lug doesn't seem to fit an OKC-3S, M-7B, or an ancient M-7 so I'm guessing that lug is specific to the $300 German bayonet.  

Went with a PA micro 5x with one of the PSA daily deal Truglo mini reflexes on top.  Eye relief is pretty spot on, height is correct.

Might not have purchased the original 16" had I known the 20" was coming.  Oh well, can never have too many.    What'll really hurt is if Springfield releases them in FDE or ODG....
View Quote
That sucks that the bayo lug isn't a NATO standard, as I love my OKC-3S.

And that prismatic setup looks nice, thanks for your evaluation.

And I might also be in for some hurt if they come out in FDE.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Just want to show how the KCB77-M1L (L for long blade) fits fine on my Hellion 20".
The M7 fits fine as well. I don't have a M9 bayonet. Figure it will fit all other NATO pattern bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Man the 20" Hellion looks so good.  Most likely my next rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kiddsf:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53197070803_3d4e442f92_o.jpg

Just want to show how the KCB77-M1L (L for long blade) fits fine on my Hellion 20".
The M7 fits fine as well. I don't have a M9 bayonet. Figure it will fit all other NATO pattern bayonet.
View Quote

That looks awesome!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By vectorsc:
Id say it depends on if the barrel was made in Croatia or here.  If croatia = importing barrels is hard if I remember right.
View Quote

I asked Springfield already, they said no plans for barrel assembly yet. only complete rifles with 18-20".
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ChengSMGT:

I do. Don't have any problems. Sleeve length for me is 35".
View Quote

That's one of the things that really makes me want to mess with one of these. I'm in the same boat with long arms so this thing looks like it would be sweet
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#35]
See if a local range to you has one. That's what I did, my local Range USA had one on the wall so I rented that bad boy. It needed lubrication badly but I was able to look past that. Functionality otherwise was good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Manticore guys - you have anything more up your sleeve as far as upgrades go?
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

Next upgrade is in the final stages of production, and will launch as soon as we are in iir new South Carolina shop in November.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I’m positive I already know the answer to this question, but would you care to give us an idea of what you’ve got coming?
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

Next upgrade is in the final stages of production, and will launch as soon as we are in iir new South Carolina shop in November.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Excellent. Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:24:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone else hoping that it'll be an upgraded trigger?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By spork:
View Quote

magwell
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

+1 here. A magwell would be cool too but the trigger is the biggest pain point on the rifle as a whole that I can find.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#43]

+1 here. A magwell would be cool too but the trigger is the biggest pain point on the rifle as a whole that I can find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yep, a lighter pull and shorter travel is really needed for these triggers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Got my 20” out to the range very briefly…just enough to call it zeroed and shoot a couple groups.  Time was tight, so it was about a continuous string of fire.

Trijicon 1-4 accupoint for an optic

My initial impression is that this will be a very good shooter.e

Hellions are replacing ars in my fleet.  The 20” will be my DMR.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been back and forth on the Hellion for a while - the only notable 'cons' that I keep reading about are non issues for me. The safety has been fixed on the new guns, and the LOP is no problem for my 6ft 3in frame.

BUT I saw a review by 'HONEST OUTLAW' on youtube where he states he had multiple QD slings pop out of multiple QD sockets on the Hellion. That's disconcerting, has anyone else had this issue?

He seems like a no-fluff/drama kind of reviewer so I figured it was legitimate enough to ask about.

Experiences?
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been back and forth on the Hellion for a while - the only notable 'cons' that I keep reading about are non issues for me. The safety has been fixed on the new guns, and the LOP is no problem for my 6ft 3in frame.

BUT I saw a review by 'HONEST OUTLAW' on youtube where he states he had multiple QD slings pop out of multiple QD sockets on the Hellion. That's disconcerting, has anyone else had this issue?

He seems like a no-fluff/drama kind of reviewer so I figured it was legitimate enough to ask about.

Experiences?
View Quote

I have not had that issue. I only use blue force gear swivels, but they work just fine. I hate 360° rotational sockets, so I used epoxy in certain spots within the channel inside the socket to make them anti-rotational. I've done that to several rifles, and it works out pretty well. But as far as sling swivels popping out, that has not happened to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 1:48:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kisara] [#47]
Originally Posted By Scrapple: I hate 360° rotational sockets
View Quote

That's my biggest gripe with the gun, even more so than the safety or trigger.  I've tried a Ferro Slinger, BFG Vickers, and a BFG single point that has a little bungee.  I'm not a fan of single points but it's the only sling that isn't constantly getting twisted up.  I'll have to try your epoxy trick.  What brand did you use, got any photos of the socket after the modification?
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Experiences?
View Quote

Mine had this issue. One of the first guns to hit the market. I just tried various QD sockets off of my other guns until I found one that would stay. Couldn't tell you the brand though. Maybe they've fixed it in more recent models?
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TheRat:

Mine had this issue. One of the first guns to hit the market. I just tried various QD sockets off of my other guns until I found one that would stay. Couldn't tell you the brand though. Maybe they've fixed it in more recent models?
View Quote

My (Army) brother has this issue and he actually bought a piece of Mlok rail, cut it down with a Dremel and mounted a Magpul QD adapter as a “fix” so he could run it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#50]
There are also hard mounting points/eyelets aren’t there? I hate to NOT use the QD points but if they’re questionable…
Page / 24
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 11 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top