Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 12 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
There are also hard mounting points/eyelets aren’t there? I hate to NOT use the QD points but if they’re questionable…
View Quote

Just ran around the woods this weekend with a Magpul MS4 dual QD sling and had absolutely no issues, I was using all the QD mounts on the left side of the gun (right hand shooter) to get a feel for how I want to carry it, so switched them in and out and often, no issues

Also my VHS-2 is a first import model 16”, old safety, etc
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had trouble with other rifles/forends/stocks (some big name and others not) and would try different QD swivels.  QD seems to mean it will QD on you when you don't want it to - the second time my 6920 ended up in a ditch I looped the rear of the sling into the stock slot and threw the QD swivel into a field of beans.  

It may have been the various manufacturers of swivels or the cups?  I gave up.
I just use the sling slots on stocks and the Magpul MLok swivel for forends that have MLok  or Blue Force Gear fixed loop for pic rail.  

https://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-industries-m-lok-gi-1-25-sling-swivel-black-mag809-blk.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:42:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally got to shoot mine after debating for months on selling it.

really like it.. hope aftermarket support picks up things like triggers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:  There actually is no set TDP or industry standard for QD swivels or cups on the dimensions, so it occasionally is possible to find a QD swivel that will pop out of a cup.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Ok, so that's why some QD sockets actually fit the KeyMod slots.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kisara:

That's my biggest gripe with the gun, even more so than the safety or trigger.  I've tried a Ferro Slinger, BFG Vickers, and a BFG single point that has a little bungee.  I'm not a fan of single points but it's the only sling that isn't constantly getting twisted up.  I'll have to try your epoxy trick.  What brand did you use, got any photos of the socket after the modification?
View Quote

Sorry for the late reply, forgot to check in here.
I can get pictures in a bit, but you just use JB weld and with a toothpick, fill the groove in a cross pattern.
The idea, again, is to prevent the ball bearings of the swivel itself from being able to continue past the epoxy. Note: check your swivel and be sure that you're epoxying in places that the ball bearings won't be resting when slung.

Try to fill the groove in 4 places, but don't made it too wide. Also use the toothpick to sweep the inside afterwards so that it isn't poking up too high.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:

@Mrgunsngear if you had to choose one bullpup to go to war with, what one would it be? I don't think I would pick the Hellion. I think I would grab my x95 or my Aug.
View Quote

Currently - the Hellion
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:25:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KnightSchneider] [#8]
Was able to get back to the range with a little more time.

6 shot group that is probably .9” at 100 yds with mk262.

Shot an inch group with 75 gr hornady.

This rifle is a shooter.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mrgunsngear:

Currently - the Hellion
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@Mrgunsngear if you had to choose one bullpup to go to war with, what one would it be? I don't think I would pick the Hellion. I think I would grab my x95 or my Aug.

Currently - the Hellion

@Mrgunsngear
Serious question, why the Hellion over the Aug or X95? Thx!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Are there any known issues with these?  I have a friend saying they come back in for work at his shop a lot, but not a peep of complaints on here.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KnightSchneider:
Was able to get back to the range with a little more time.

6 shot group that is probably .9" at 100 yds with mk262.

Shot an inch group with 75 gr hornady.

This rifle is a shooter.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20662/IMG_6598_jpeg-2979863.JPG
View Quote

@KnightSchneider

what length barrel do you have?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
Are there any known issues with these?  I have a friend saying they come back in for work at his shop a lot, but not a peep of complaints on here.  Just curious.
View Quote

I haven't really heard of any issues with these. They are pretty well vetted. As for your friend, I'm not really sure what someone would be bringing it into a shop for when if there was an actual problem, you would send it to the manufacturer. Maybe he's talking about custom work or something?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

I haven't really heard of any issues with these. They are pretty well vetted. As for your friend, I'm not really sure what someone would be bringing it into a shop for when if there was an actual problem, you would send it to the manufacturer. Maybe he's talking about custom work or something?
View Quote

He said they break, but it's literally the only time I've ever heard of one of these breaking.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#14]
@right_rudder

That picture was a 20” barrel.  I had an accupoint 1-4 on it.  I’m going to get something like 2.5-10 and make this my dmr.

I put an optic on my 16” and got similar accuracy results.

They are impressive rifles…I was hesitant, but have been won over.

I’m curious to hear what is breaking on them…I did a lot of scouring of the net and couldn’t come up with much for known issues with the design.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:33:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Default-Gateway] [#15]

He said they break, but it's literally the only time I've ever heard of one of these breaking.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

They break is kinda a blanket statement.  Be interesting to ask what breaks.Wonder if the customers are taking them apart and not reassembling them correctly but they are pretty simple.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By KnightSchneider:
@right_rudder

That picture was a 20" barrel.  I had an accupoint 1-4 on it.  I'm going to get something like 2.5-10 and make this my dmr.

I put an optic on my 16" and got similar accuracy results.

They are impressive rifles I was hesitant, but have been won over.

I'm curious to hear what is breaking on them I did a lot of scouring of the net and couldn't come up with much for known issues with the design.
View Quote
Thanks!

A DMR setup is something I haven't considered but makes sense.
I have the 16" version and just now getting around to shooting it but am interested in possibly using it in that roll.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

They break is kinda a blanket statement.  Be interesting to ask what breaks.Wonder if the customers are taking them apart and not reassembling them correctly but they are pretty simple.
View Quote

I watched an expert, at a LGS, try to pull the sights/carry handle/rail off before removing the bolt carrier.  I thought he was going to break the charging handle, but somehow he did not.
If it was anyone other than this jack wagon, I would have said something.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
There actually is no set TDP or industry standard for QD swivels or cups on the dimensions, so it occasionally is possible to find a QD swivel that will pop out of a cup.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparky923:
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
There actually is no set TDP or industry standard for QD swivels or cups on the dimensions, so it occasionally is possible to find a QD swivel that will pop out of a cup.

Sven
Manticore Arms

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-lol-818.gif
For the record, I have a Griffen Armament sling on mine and the QDs hold fine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m ready to pull the trigger on one of these but I can’t find anywhere that has the new/updated model with the new safety in stock.

I don’t want to buy online because there’s no guarantee of which version it’ll be.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m ready to pull the trigger on one of these but I can’t find anywhere that has the new/updated model with the new safety in stock.

I don’t want to buy online because there’s no guarantee of which version it’ll be.
View Quote

I'd assume all of the 18" and 20" guns will have the newer version.  For the 16", you may have some luck if it was a smaller retailer that has it in stock and can check vs one of the many drop-shippers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

I'd assume all of the 18" and 20" guns will have the newer version.  For the 16", you may have some luck if it was a smaller retailer that has it in stock and can check vs one of the many drop-shippers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Findsman:

Yeah I’d prefer the 16 though
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:02:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MiG-21] [#24]
For those who don’t like the LOP or awkward selector on the VHS, a standard A1 or A2 pistol grip is a bigger improvement than you would think over the OEM grip. The greater sweep back helps a good bit with both, at least for me.

Attachment Attached File

I really like this rifle. A lot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MiG-21:
For those who don’t like the LOP or awkward selector on the VHS, a standard A1 or A2 pistol grip is a bigger improvement than you would think over the OEM grip. The greater sweep back helps a good bit with both, at least for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26154/IMG_6134_jpeg-2982634.JPG

I really like this rifle. A lot.
View Quote

I wound up not liking the A1/A2 grip on the VHS-2 because of the increased angle, and reduced trigger reach. I instead wanted a grip that has a more vertical angle, but also a backstrap that increases trigger reach without lowering the hand.

In this case, the Tango Down BG18 was pretty much the perfect grip, and not only kept the trigger reach workable, but also provided better access to the safety.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

@Mrgunsngear
Serious question, why the Hellion over the Aug or X95? Thx!
View Quote

For all the reasons discussed in my review.  The others are good; I just think the VHS is better.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Please someone trigger upgrade lol.  

I'll also add to the earlier statements about accuracy - my Hellion is SOLIDLY sub-moa.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]

For all the reasons discussed in my review.  The others are good; I just think the VHS is better.
View Quote

I fixing to go watch your review. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
I'm missing an optic but have everything else set up for it.. can't believe I'm saying this about a bullpup but it's a close call between it and my MCX SBR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Side by side pics make me happy I have the 16".
I cant put my finger on the why but the longer barrel just looks goofy to me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:21:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Karter14171] [#31]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
I'm missing an optic but have everything else set up for it.. can't believe I'm saying this about a bullpup but it's a close call between it and my MCX SBR.
View Quote

I bought an 11" MCX and hellion around the same time and I'm in the same boat. Both great guns but close call.

At the very least the hellion doesn't gas me out every time I shoot it suppressed like the MCX does.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Karter14171:

I bought an 11" MCX and hellion around the same time and I'm in the same boat. Both great guns but close call.

At the very least the hellion doesn't gas me out every time I shoot it suppressed like the MCX does.
View Quote
That's a good point. I don't have a lot of rounds through mine (it sat in the closet for months as I debated selling it) but all the rounds I have shot have been suppressed and your right, I don't seem to recall as much gas.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:16:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#33]
View Quote

There is literally nothing your friends shop can do to “fix” issues on these at the moment. If there are any issues … it goes to the mothership … No issues here.

It is one of the most vetted modern bullpup available right now …
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Interesting how many of us have both the MCX and a Hellion.

I like my MCX shooting 5.56, but I love it shooting 300blk.  Basically the only time I swap it over to 5.56 is for a class or competition to save on ammo.  Other than that this is my current favorite set up for it: 6.75” 300blk barrel, CGS Hyperion under a 12” SD rail.

Hellion is much newer to me, but liking it so far.  Good suppressor host, etc.  Would love to use it for a run and gun and really shake it out.  

I should probably also rattle can it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:
Interesting how many of us have both the MCX and a Hellion.

https://i.imgur.com/MW5UZLj.jpg

I like my MCX shooting 5.56, but I love it shooting 300blk.  Basically the only time I swap it over to 5.56 is for a class or competition to save on ammo.  Other than that this is my current favorite set up for it: 6.75” 300blk barrel, CGS Hyperion under a 12” SD rail.

Hellion is much newer to me, but liking it so far.  Good suppressor host, etc.  Would love to use it for a run and gun and really shake it out.  

I should probably also rattle can it.
View Quote

How's the gas on the 6.75 suppressed? I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing you did.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:51:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimesSU] [#36]
The B&T grip feels and looks really good on the Hellion. Looks similar to the original VHS2 grip.

Good luck finding one though, except on the secondary market.

Also attached an aluminum pic rail to the bottom of mine like the original VHS2, and put on a 'AC-Unity, Forward Grip for Picatinny, Type 2' from Robert RTG.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/FORWARD-GRIP-FOR-PICATINNY-TYPE-2-BLACK-6p10884.htm

Picture of the B&T grip courtesy of Misha.

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#37]
I picked one of these up locally for $1540 unfired. I was torn between the X95 and the VHS but for that price I’ll start here.

I think the first course of action is the replace the stupid BCM grip with a MIAD or other rearward-swept grip. I’ve got big hands so the safety lever fits me fine. This thing will take a little getting used to but it’s not as bad as people love to complain about.

After selling off my POS Fs2000 years ago I swore off bullpups but I’ve been sucked back in…

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked one of these up locally for $1540 unfired. I was torn between the X95 and the VHS but for that price I’ll start here.

I think the first course of action is the replace the stupid BCM grip with a MIAD or other rearward-swept grip. I’ve got big hands so the safety lever fits me fine. This thing will take a little getting used to but it’s not as bad as people love to complain about.

After selling off my POS Fs2000 years ago I swore off bullpups but I’ve been sucked back in…

https://i.ibb.co/G7yZX9d/0-D3-ED5-C4-F691-4-AC3-AD32-0-FBE9-AAC8-F7-F.jpg
View Quote

We expect a range report soonest!
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Default-Gateway] [#39]

https://i.ibb.co/G7yZX9d/0-D3-ED5-C4-F691-4-AC3-AD32-0-FBE9-AAC8-F7-F.jpg
View Quote

I have a MIAD with the large backstrap on mine.  It works very well for my xl-xxl hands.

Put another 300 rnds through it over the weekend with a Wolfman hanging off the front.  It shoots super smooth and balances very well suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Karter14171:

How's the gas on the 6.75 suppressed? I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing you did.
View Quote

Sorry just saw this.

With that can, not bad at all.  Could tame it even more with the vented end cap

I’ve tried that Micro30 on it as well and that can is little more gassy
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Much better with the MOE grip. Hard to believe this thing is the same length as an 8 inch SBR

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Much better with the MOE grip. Hard to believe this thing is the same length as an 8 inch SBR

https://i.ibb.co/bKdDvkd/02-FED64-A-CBF7-422-E-A6-B8-C2-BE09800547.jpg
View Quote

Your pic really illustrates the LOP.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View All Quotes

https://i.ibb.co/bKdDvkd/02-FED64-A-CBF7-422-E-A6-B8-C2-BE09800547.jpg

And that’s what’s weird, it feels *different* but it certainly doesn’t feel as awkward as it looks like it should.

I’d love to see a picture of all the mainstream bullpups side by side to compare LOP
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Currently - the Hellion
View All Quotes

Currently - the Hellion

I agree with @Mrgunsngear ... currently the Hellion is the top choice for me as well and I've touched every bullpup ...
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I really wish there was some kind of thin plastic plate with heavy duty adhesive on the back that could be engraved with the correct VHS2 markings and stuck over the gay ‘Hellion’ moniker
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I really wish there was some kind of thin plastic plate with heavy duty adhesive on the back that could be engraved with the correct VHS2 markings and stuck over the gay ‘Hellion’ moniker
View Quote

You and me both. I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Traditional guns (especially bolt and lever guns) have the trigger and the rear of the optic rail or sights in direct relation to each other.  As you can see the rear of the bullpup's rail/sights sits considerably further back than the trigger.

For me, that's why the long LOP is a non-issue.   LOP doesn't have the same consequences on a bullpup as it does on a traditional gun.  A half dozen people of all shapes and sizes have shot my VHS-2.
Nobody said anything about the LOP, only the "strange" location of the magazine and the safety being different than an AR.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Uys:

Traditional guns (especially bolt and lever guns) have the trigger and the rear of the optic rail or sights in direct relation to each other.  As you can see the rear of the bullpup's rail/sights sits considerably further back than the trigger.

For me, that's why the long LOP is a non-issue.   LOP doesn't have the same consequences on a bullpup as it does on a traditional gun.  A half dozen people of all shapes and sizes have shot my VHS-2.
Nobody said anything about the LOP, only the "strange" location of the magazine and the safety being different than an AR.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Uys:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Your pic really illustrates the LOP.

Until the adoption of peep sights, the most common long gun sight was an open U notch forward of the chamber.

Length of Pull refers to the difference from the butt of the gun to the trigger, and I'm not familiar w/ a bullpup that has a traditional LOP, other than the semi-bullpups like the Uzi & FG-42.  I was looking for some comparison pics of some other bullpups - does the PS-90 have a shorter LOP than some others?  Seems like the KelTec RDB might have a relatively short LOP as well.

Yes, the sights are properly positioned, but the dominant arm loses some support leverage b/c it's extended out so far.  Not a criticism of the VHS, just a curiosity of bullpups in general.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#49]
And that’s what’s weird, it feels *different* but it certainly doesn’t feel as awkward as it looks like it should.
I’d love to see a picture of all the mainstream bullpups side by side to compare LOP
View Quote

Not meaning to thread slide, but for starters here's an X95 & RDB:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:02:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#50]
I brought it back No biggie lol.LOP on the RDB and RFB is the same.

Page / 24
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 12 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top