Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 13 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:49:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Great info, thx!

Btw, LOP on the X95 w/the thin IDF buttplate is 14".
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried this in general but got no replies.  You guys that are running lights can you post pics pls.  I'm thinking of using this for HD and would like to see the options.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:53:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MVolkJ] [#3]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:
I tried this in general but got no replies.  You guys that are running lights can you post pics pls.  I'm thinking of using this for HD and would like to see the options.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

This is how I have mine set up. Modlite PLHv2 in an Arisaka in-line MLOK mount on the right side, with a Unity hotbutton on the left side.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 2:49:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#4]
View Quote

Funny, I almost posted the same thing last night. I messed with the thing for a couple hours before I finally settled on a configuration that I liked. The biggest issue was keeping the light and the front sling mount away from one another.

Streamlight ProTac 1 mounted on a small section of picatinny rail on the right side of the gun, with a pressure pad on the underside/6:00 of the handguard. I was worried about it getting in the way and feeling cumbersome but it’s great.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#5]
I run mine like this but have the tape switch zip tied to my top rail.
I'm using a Crimson Trace CWL-102 tactical light.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
As I was getting ready to clean mine for the first time tonight I had YouTube on and manticore_arms video on how to install their safety selector came on so I watched it out of interest.

Seeing how easy it is to remove the barrel it occurred to me that SA/HS Produkt could out do Sig on caliber conversions.

If they sold a barrel and rail/carry handle for a reasonable price they'd really have something.
I have a 5.56 and 300blk barrels for my MCX but rarely do it because I have to rezero and honestly it's not as convenient as just changing uppers.

Since the rail/carry handle holds zero when removed it's just a matter of removing it, replacing the barrel and top and off you go.
carrying an extra top w/ optic and barrel and retaining zero as you move back and forth makes it much more efficient then on the MCX and is less weight to carry the. A whole upper w/ optic.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

As I was getting ready to clean mine for the first time tonight I had YouTube on and manticore_arms video on how to install their safety selector came on so I watched it out of interest.

Seeing how easy it is to remove the barrel it occurred to me that SA/HS Produkt could out do Sig on caliber conversions.

If they sold a barrel and rail/carry handle for a reasonable price they'd really have something.
I have a 5.56 and 300blk barrels for my MCX but rarely do it because I have to rezero and honestly it's not as convenient as just changing uppers.

Since the rail/carry handle holds zero when removed it's just a matter of removing it, replacing the barrel and top and off you go.
carrying an extra top w/ optic and barrel and retaining zero as you move back and forth makes it much more efficient then on the MCX and is less weight to carry the. A whole upper w/ optic.
View Quote

I wonder how well the VHS has sold to justify this sort of rabbit hole by SA. I feel like the initial marketing blitz had this gun front and center all over the gun-internet for a while, but I don’t know very many people at all in the big picture who actually bought it.

I feel like if it was more competitively priced, like noticeably less than its closest rivals AUG/Tavor it would do better. Instead it’s effectively the same price and still suffers from the whole Springfield stigma to a certain extent.

If this was a $1399 gun it would sell like hotcakes. But I understand why it probably never will be.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

I wonder how well the VHS has sold to justify this sort of rabbit hole by SA. I feel like the initial marketing blitz had this gun front and center all over the gun-internet for a while, but I don't know very many people at all in the big picture who actually bought it.

I feel like if it was more competitively priced, like noticeably less than its closest rivals AUG/Tavor it would do better. Instead it's effectively the same price and still suffers from the whole Springfield stigma to a certain extent.

If this was a $1399 gun it would sell like hotcakes. But I understand why it probably never will be.

View Quote
I agree completely but if marketed the capability it make change things some.

Springfield may be able to get $400 out of me for a 20" barrel but there's no way I'm coming off $1900 for another rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/10/19/launching-a-rifle-grenade-with-the-20-hellion/

Guess the grenade launching ring works if you've got good blanks and can find a rifle grenade that isn't entirely clapped out.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#10]

I wonder how well the VHS has sold to justify this sort of rabbit hole by SA. I feel like the initial marketing blitz had this gun front and center all over the gun-internet for a while, but I don’t know very many people at all in the big picture who actually bought it.

I feel like if it was more competitively priced, like noticeably less than its closest rivals AUG/Tavor it would do better. Instead it’s effectively the same price and still suffers from the whole Springfield stigma to a certain extent.

View Quote

It's funny you mention their marketing having the Hellion all over the internet for a while.

I had never really thought about a bullpup before.  Then it seemed like I was seeing the Hellion everywhere, and everything I was hearing was positive.  That's what got me looking into bullpups.

Haven't decided what I want for sure yet, but the Hellion is definitely in the top portion of my list.  I need to find one in stock locally so I can see how it feels.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Just wanted to say thanks to Odinforever2000 for the great presentataton!
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Simplest setup is running a Magpul MLOK rail slot with an Inforce WML …
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah but where at?

You put it on the left side of the gun at the 9/10oclock position, you’ve effectively interfered with the main sling mounting point. If it’s on the right side, you can’t readily reach across/through the charging handle area to actuate it.

(This is spoken as a right handed shooter but still applies to a lefty)
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah but where at?
You put it on the left side of the gun at the 9/10oclock position, you’ve effectively interfered with the main sling mounting point. If it’s on the right side, you can’t readily reach across/through the charging handle area to actuate it.

View Quote

I don't know if this will help, but w/my X95's I ran into a similar problem. My solutions were a remote switch at 9 o'clock (where it wouldn't interfere w/the sling point) or on the vfg, or a different style WML where I could easily access the switch w/my support hand thumb.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/20/2023 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

I don't know if this will help, but w/my X95's I ran into a similar problem. My solutions were a remote switch at 9 o'clock (where it wouldn't interfere w/the sling point) or on the vfg, or a different style WML where I could easily access the switch w/my support hand thumb.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/IMG_0616_jpg-2998073.JPG
View All Quotes
Yeah but where at?

I normally use a solution like this one, but with the upward angle of the VHS handguard/rails, it’s much harder to effectively use
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I normally use a solution like this one, but with the upward angle of the VHS handguard/rails, it’s much harder to effectively use
View Quote

Do you intend to use a vfg? Another possibility I used w/the old Magpul MOE handguard was a 45 degree offset riser mounted upside down at 3 o'clock to place the WML lower where it was easier to access.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Anytime!
I probably could do a separate thread just on LOP for bullpups..
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Do you intend to use a vfg? Another possibility I used w/the old Magpul MOE handguard was a 45 degree offset riser mounted upside down at 3 o'clock to place the WML lower where it was easier to access.
View All Quotes

Makes sense. I’m going to work with what I’ve got for now, if it fails, I’ll keep looking.

Maybe someone can come up with a tri-rail or other type handguard that is more accessory-friendly. Seems like it would be pretty easy with the way this thing mounts up
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Attached a couple sections of picatinny and am running a cloud defensive light on the right side, with pressure pad on the left.Attachment Attached File

So far I’m very happy with it.  I have to run it some more, but I think it’s staying like this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Yeah but where at?

View All Quotes

Yeah but where at?

I don't use QD sling mounts ... I use BFG U-loops into the eyelet sling mounts ... so it doesn't interfere ...
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KnightSchneider:
Attached a couple sections of picatinny and am running a cloud defensive light on the right side, with pressure pad on the left.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20662/71830141793__7A8E6EA1-B73D-4165-B041-B93-2998782.JPG

So far I’m very happy with it.  I have to run it some more, but I think it’s staying like this.
View Quote

Any chance of a left side pic?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Personally, I think that this is the best possible light setup. Surefire Scout Pro with ST07 switch through the handguard, and MLOK switch holder on the other side. The cable is held in place by the handguard, and doesn't touch the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#23]

I don't use QD sling mounts ... I use BFG U-loops into the eyelet sling mounts ... so it doesn't interfere ...
View All Quotes

Yeah but where at?

Funny I tried that too actually, but all I had was the shorter type ULoop. Maybe the longer one would work better, because the short one didn’t clear the handguard edges very effectively and still left the sling in near constant interference with the left-mounted light
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
what light/mount is that?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
what light/mount is that?
View Quote

That's just the Olight PL Turbo (800 lumens, 66k candelas) on the X95's native 3 o'clock picatinny rail.

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Top / left side Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#27]
What distance are you guys zero in your rifles at? I have access to a 50 yard range. I’m primarily interested in maximum accuracy for hog hunting between 50 and 110 yards. What is my best bet, considering the height over bore on this thing?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
What distance are you guys zero in your rifles at? I have access to a 50 yard range. I’m primarily interested in maximum accuracy for hog hunting between 50 and 110 yards. What is my best bet, considering the height over bore on this thing?
View Quote

On a standard AR I use a 50yd zero. With the X95's high height over bore I use a 100yd zero which is 1.2" low at 50yds for me.
HTH...
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#29]

On a standard AR I use a 50yd zero. With the X95's high height over bore I use a 100yd zero which is 1.2" low at 50yds for me.
HTH...
View All Quotes

HTH...

Long story short I ended up stuck on their 25 yard range, so I tested it at that distance, and it turns out it was literally dead on, 1.5 ish inches below the bullseye. I imagine it’s pretty close to where I want it already, but I’ll confirm for sure another time.

Cool gun. In my opinion the biggest annoyance is the bolt release. Certainly workable but it’s weird.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#30]
In my opinion the biggest annoyance is the bolt release. Certainly workable but it’s weird.
View Quote

I just run the charging handle like I would an AK.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74novaman:
In my opinion the biggest annoyance is the bolt release. Certainly workable but it’s weird.

Yep this is what I ended up doing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By KnightSchneider:
Top / left side https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20662/IMG_6673_jpeg-3001683.JPG
View Quote

I like the look of that.  My question is will a Unity switch be too big to put right there?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Those of you who have run your remote weapon light switch wire inside the foregrip, did you have to modify the holes in any way? I have a Streamlight and the switch is thin enough to fit through a slot but too long to maneuver it all the way through. The connection plug is too big to fit through anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ChengSMGT:
Those of you who have run your remote weapon light switch wire inside the foregrip, did you have to modify the holes in any way? I have a Streamlight and the switch is thin enough to fit through a slot but too long to maneuver it all the way through. The connection plug is too big to fit through anywhere.
View Quote

Not with my Surefire ST07.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

This is how I have mine set up. Modlite PLHv2 in an Arisaka in-line MLOK mount on the right side, with a Unity hotbutton on the left side.

https://i.imgur.com/MBLc6ya.jpg
View Quote

How do you like that mini ACOG on the Hellion?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MVolkJ] [#36]
Originally Posted By SilentMark:

How do you like that mini ACOG on the Hellion?
View Quote

A lot. There's just something about small low-power optics on Euro space gats that works. Doesn't add a lot of extra weight to an already-heavy rifle. That .5x of magnification is actually useful, but not strong enough to be too distracting at short range. The only real issue I have with it is that it lacks LED illumination, and as such the reticle is black and harder to pick up in dark areas when using the mounted light.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I have had my VHS-2 for 11 months paid 1600 New 4000 Rounds later. I have had Not one issue with this Rifle, I Reload everything from 55 grain to 69 grain in 6 different powders. I run the VHS-2 on the " S" Suppressed Setting it runs Great and Smoothly, Don't Care about the Safety & Don't Care about the Trigger Don't Care about the Bolt Release it all works and works well, Bolt Catch, I got a finger put it in the Mag well push it up and the bolt locks back, with a Vortex Scope & 68 or 69 grain BTHPM bullets 1-1/4 inch Groups at 100 yards, Got a x95 it shoots 2.0 with the same ammo & is No where as smooth as the VHS-2, lop about a Inch longer than the x95, I put a 25 degree AR Grip feels fine, it don't do this better or that better but it works just as good  as the rest of them
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I have had my VHS-2 for 11 months paid 1600 New 4000 Rounds later. I have had Not one issue with this Rifle, I Reload everything from 55 grain to 69 grain in 6 different powders. I run the VHS-2 on the " S" Suppressed Setting it runs Great and Smoothly, Don't Care about the Safety & Don't Care about the Trigger Don't Care about the Bolt Release it all works and works well, Bolt Catch, I got a finger put it in the Mag well push it up and the bolt locks back, with a Vortex Scope & 68 or 69 grain BTHPM bullets 1-1/4 inch Groups at 100 yards, Got a x95 it shoots 2.0 with the same ammo & is No where as smooth as the VHS-2, lop about a Inch longer than the x95, I put a 25 degree AR Grip feels fine, it don't do this better or that better but it works just as good  as the rest of them
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm still holding out for the Betamax.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I Don't know if I can talk you into it, But Here it is, Got the VHS-2 first, & 6 months later I got the x95, being a jew, i have a IMI UZI and a IMI Galil from the early 1980, But as far as the VHS-2 & the x95 i like them both about the Same, 60% VHS-2 & 40% x95, but the main thing is how Smoothly & Accurate the VHS-2 Shoots & I'm Still working on different types of Loads for both the VHS-2 & x95, if people don't own one and shoot it they can't talk on how it works & feels & Shoots, when I Shoot the x95 I get Gas in the Face & some Reloading powders can gas you & your eyes burn and nose the VHS-2 even Suppressed don't gas your face up, so the Mag release,  Bolt Release & Safety & Sticking the finger up the Mag well  don't bother me, he'll it might not bother you. I am Glad I got mine, it's in my safe First & Loaded right next to the x95 Loaded, can't tell you what to do, but I don't Regret I second about buying it, if others don't want it or like it that's on them, they can do & buy what like. if the Shitt hit fan or defend family & home I WOULD NOT HESITATE GRAB the VHS-2 FIRST, Beacuse First in line & after Shooting for 4000k rounds its Function is GOOD TO GO...
don't know if I talked you into it, but I did talk myself into it and Glad I Did / see next reply
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:44:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I Don't know if I can talk you into it, But Here it is, Got the VHS-2 first, & 6 months later I got the x95, being a jew, i have a IMI UZI and a IMI Galil from the early 1980, But as far as the VHS-2 & the x95 i like them both about the Same, 60% VHS-2 & 40% x95, but the main thing is how Smoothly & Accurate the VHS-2 Shoots & I'm Still working on different types of Loads for both the VHS-2 & x95, if people don't own one and shoot it they can't talk on how it works & feels & Shoots, when I Shoot the x95 I get Gas in the Face & some Reloading powders can gas you & your eyes burn and nose the VHS-2 even Suppressed don't gas your face up, so the Mag release,  Bolt Release & Safety & Sticking the finger up the Mag well  don't bother me, he'll it might not bother you. I am Glad I got mine, it's in my safe First & Loaded right next to the x95 Loaded, can't tell you what to do, but I don't Regret I second about buying it, if others don't want it or like it that's on them, they can do & buy what like. if the Shitt hit fan or defend family & home I WOULD NOT HESITATE GRAB the VHS-2 FIRST, Beacuse First in line & after Shooting for 4000k rounds its Function is GOOD TO GO...
don't know if I talked you into it, but I did talk myself into it and Glad I Did / see next reply
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Reloader2024:
View Quote

I’m glad the VHS-2 works better than the submit button.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#45]
New to this Fourm Stuff, didn't wanted to do it but once
but VHS-2 better than my Shitt Box Phone
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Reloader2024:
New to this Fourm Stuff, didn't wanted to do it but once
but VHS-2 better than my Shitt Box Phone
View Quote

Hell, 3 more posts in a mathematical progression & you'll be able to post pics.  Welcome to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#47]
FYI for anyone who hasn't noticed, I'm watching Hobbs & Shaw and in one scene Jason Statham is running a VHS. Full auto no less.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#48]
FYI for anyone who hasn't noticed, I'm watching Hobbs & Shaw and in one scene Jason Statham is running a VHS. Full auto no less.
View Quote

Little further in and it turns out that is the bad guys' weapon of choice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

It’s definitely got a bad-guy look to it
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 24
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 13 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top