Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 8 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thor:

The integrated sight was just one of the options of the VHS-2. They didn’t all have them. From a marketing standpoint, integrated optic version is the worst one to import as a lot of people would ignore it due to being stuck with that optic. Passible in the 80s with the Aug, but optic offerings today make not having a rail pretty dumb.

It would be neat if they offered something in the future. I understand the “cool” factor 100%.

Also, isn’t the Hellion just based on the new generation of the VHS-2 and the integrated optic version is no longer being made? I thought I saw them on display in Croatia  as well with the AR grip.
View Quote

Correct ... the current production VHS-K2 and the Hellion now share the same platform ... the minor changes to our variant are fairly small ...

While G36 mags are cool ... they aren't mainstream for the American shooter ... and the amount of people that own G36 mags vs AR mags is very small in comparison ... I overcame this want by running ETS mags ... gives me the OEM VHS look ... handguard can be made to look like the original VHS by adding 1913 to it ... that said if G36 magwell ever gets released ... I will have one ...

Anyways ... we are dang lucky to have the "Hellion" ... the civilian variant in Croatia is the VHS-2s which is the same model as we get as civis here ...

VHS-K2:

VHS-2s/Hellion:

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MAKAK47] [#2]
The model we have mimics one that saw actual combat experience liberating Mosul, more combat experience than the weird optic version

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Q11j3XUsY&pp=ygUKVmhzLTIgaXJhcQ%3D%3D
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
The model we have mimics one that saw actual combat experience liberating Mosul, more combat experience than the weird optic version
https://64.media.tumblr.com/a4e03f93b1a22bd7944c55ce06a662ac/c4306f549c3cd2b7-27/s1280x1920/ef8b92f5cfebdeca36848a9430ef21d91b0c8f0e.jpg
View Quote

Go pro but no sights?
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#5]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:  The model we have mimics one that saw actual combat experience liberating Mosul, more combat experience than the weird optic version
https://64.media.tumblr.com/a4e03f93b1a22bd7944c55ce06a662ac/c4306f549c3cd2b7-27/s1280x1920/ef8b92f5cfebdeca36848a9430ef21d91b0c8f0e.jpg
View Quote

Looks like his right eye is shut, he is allowing Allah to guide his bullet, truly an honorable way for Muslims to fight each other.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

Go pro but no sights?
View Quote

Gets in the way of the go pro apparently hahaha
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone have a pic of the hellion with a TA31 ACOG? I've seen it with an elcan, and that looks great. Just wondering if the TA31 would be a good fit for the hellion. Currently have an Aimpoint Pro on mine but want something lighter with more magnification.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gaflyer:
Does anyone have a pic of the hellion with a TA31 ACOG? I've seen it with an elcan, and that looks great. Just wondering if the TA31 would be a good fit for the hellion. Currently have an Aimpoint Pro on mine but want something lighter with more magnification.
View Quote

This may come off as me being a dick. But I don't mean to be.

But if you google, "Springfield Hellion ACOG". You'll get a few pics. (I just don't feel like downloading and pasting images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=springfield+hellion+acog&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiO-JWu0fv_AhUnMt4AHcVLAL4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=springfield+hellion+acog&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECCMQJzIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABDIHCAAQGBCABFCRBVioC2CHDWgAcAB4AIABlQeIAZUHkgEDNi0xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=_YOnZM6FKafk-LYPxZeB8As&bih=617&biw=1366#imgrc=gI3Ne2TRKrAClM
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I run one on mine, really like how well it sits and pulls up perfectly
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I run a acog on one of mine and it is a great combo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 12:00:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crazymoose] [#11]
View Quote

No prismatic scope is light. Off the top of my head, I think the bare ACOG weighs more than the PRO with a mount. It's a good choice, though. I have a PA prism on mine that I like.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
I run a acog on one of mine and it is a great combo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254860/IMG_3819_jpeg-2881033.JPG
View Quote

That looks great!
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 11:35:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#13]

TA50 3x. Excellent optic for this rifle, and very lightweight. Also, I can use the iron sights through the base.
I've considered the TA11, but it's heavy, and I would lose the iron sight channel.

I have some switched my grip to the Tango Down BG18, which I find perfect for this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The Armory Life has a great "magazine" on it

https://www.thearmorylife.com/magazines/volume-12-hellion/
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Great pics with the hellion and an ACOG, thanks everyone
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]
https://manticorearms.com/product/hellion-enhanced-safety-system/

Did nobody notice this?
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 13withinfinity:

Did nobody notice this?
View Quote

Oh wow, that would be a huge upgrade. Curious about the install though, as it looks like it comes with a special pin-type tool for installation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 13withinfinity:

Did nobody notice this?
View Quote

Little pricey but for the people that do not like the factory safety...this is it...
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MAKAK47] [#20]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Little pricey but for the people that do not like the factory safety...this is it...
View Quote

Seriously, we can’t name another option on the market

So I’m very glad to see this and anything else Manticore is planning on rolling out, it’s crazy that it’s taken thing long for products to hit the market
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 13withinfinity:  https://manticorearms.com/product/hellion-enhanced-safety-system/

Did nobody notice this?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Hopefully it becomes available soon!
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Yeah, looks to be about $6 a degree of angle change of the lever. But it is what it is...
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#24]

So I’m very glad to see this and anything else Manticore is planning on rolling out, it’s crazy that it’s taken thing long for products to hit the market
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Seriously ... we can say it a little pricey but the product we need ...
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 3:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#25]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
I was wondering when someone was going to notice the listing on our webstore, LOL!

We put it up live as Tom Alibrando was running one of the Hellion Ehanced Safeties at the IWI bullpup class in Alliance, Ohio last weekend and he posted some pics of his Hellion with the safety on it.  (The class is now open to all bullpups including Tavors, Steyr AUGs, and Springfield Hellions, hence why an IWI guy is running a Hellion, LOL)

As to the cost- all the components are steel, and we had to create a special punch to help with install.  We spent a lot of R&D time looking at how the OEM safety selectors were installed, which is with a very tiny 1mm roll pin that is nearly inaccessable for removal, even worse for installation, and that quickly loosens up over repeated remove/install cycles.  Based on our experience, HS Produkt likely has a jig and special tool to install the pin, and never expects it to be removed once in the gun.

Based on that, I made the decision we were going to go a different route- we have an all new central heat treated steel safety shaft that gets a pair of steel safety levers installed with torque screws.  The special punch is to help remove that awful 1mm roll pin (you can start the pin with a typical 1/16" punch, but the punch rapidly binds on the inner wall of the receiver).

We prototyped and T&E'd about a dozen different selector lever angles, lengths, and designs.   Ultimately the best one was the one you see here- very similar in profile to an AR-15 selector lobe, and starts horizontal and when in Fire angles down about 30 degrees.

We are finishing up the last process on one component, and fingers crossed it should be out in 30 days or so.   This one was a helluva lot of work to get figured out, and I hope that it is utlimately all to your liking.

We have another product in process, and I think I cracked the nut on a third product this week.  I have had the Hellion broken down to every little last piece and have been working hard to improve anything marginal in it- this one has turned out to not be a race, but a marathon and we are approaching the first finish line.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.  

Sven
Manticore Arms

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/368252/Hellion_safety_3_edit-2884423.jpg
View Quote

freakin’ excellent Sir!  Will you guys post how to videos for installs?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I was wondering when someone was going to notice the listing on our webstore, LOL!

We put it up live as Tom Alibrando was running one of the Hellion Ehanced Safeties at the IWI bullpup class in Alliance, Ohio last weekend and he posted some pics of his Hellion with the safety on it.  (The class is now open to all bullpups including Tavors, Steyr AUGs, and Springfield Hellions, hence why an IWI guy is running a Hellion, LOL)

As to the cost- all the components are steel, and we had to create a special punch to help with install.  We spent a lot of R&D time looking at how the OEM safety selectors were installed, which is with a very tiny 1mm roll pin that is nearly inaccessable for removal, even worse for installation, and that quickly loosens up over repeated remove/install cycles.  Based on our experience, HS Produkt likely has a jig and special tool to install the pin, and never expects it to be removed once in the gun.

Based on that, I made the decision we were going to go a different route- we have an all new central heat treated steel safety shaft that gets a pair of steel safety levers installed with torque screws.  The special punch is to help remove that awful 1mm roll pin (you can start the pin with a typical 1/16" punch, but the punch rapidly binds on the inner wall of the receiver).

We prototyped and T&E'd about a dozen different selector lever angles, lengths, and designs.   Ultimately the best one was the one you see here- very similar in profile to an AR-15 selector lobe, and starts horizontal and when in Fire angles down about 30 degrees.

We are finishing up the last process on one component, and fingers crossed it should be out in 30 days or so.   This one was a helluva lot of work to get figured out, and I hope that it is utlimately all to your liking.

We have another product in process, and I think I cracked the nut on a third product this week.  I have had the Hellion broken down to every little last piece and have been working hard to improve anything marginal in it- this one has turned out to not be a race, but a marathon and we are approaching the first finish line.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

Well done. Looks like it's a good, well thought out design.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Thanks for the hot link backbencher!
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By xdmikey:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xdmikey:

Just adding to my post count.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:54:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#30]

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

@Manticore_Arms
Since you say you have one in pieces...

Any chance you could tell me about the pic rail set screws? Anything special about them?
I of course think Philips, but it's on there TIGHT and I don't want to mar it up if something else was going on. I'm afraid to muscle it, because I am a gorilla and have broken many things because they weren't supposed to move that way.
Thought maybe it had locktite and I needed to heat it, but the presence of polymer concerns me.\

I like your punch. I ended up machining down a standard punch to make it flat on one side to ease the binding.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]

@Manticore_Arms

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/Screenshot_2023-07-26_212743-2899146.jpg

Any chance you could tell me about the pic rail set screws? Anything special about them?
I of course think Philips, but it's on there TIGHT and I don't want to mar it up if something else was going on. I'm afraid to muscle it, because I am a gorilla and have broken many things because they weren't supposed to move that way.
Thought maybe it had locktite and I needed to heat it, but the presence of polymer concerns me.
I like your punch. I ended up machining down a standard punch to make it flat on one side to ease the binding.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:  I was wondering when someone was going to notice the listing on our webstore, LOL!

Sven
Manticore Arms

@Manticore_Arms

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/Screenshot_2023-07-26_212743-2899146.jpg

Thought maybe it had locktite and I needed to heat it, but the presence of polymer concerns me.

A Dremel turns stripped Phillips heads into flat heads.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#33]

@Manticore_Arms

View All Quotes

Sven
Manticore Arms

@Manticore_Arms

Why are you taking that apart?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:  I was wondering when someone was going to notice the listing on our webstore, LOL!

Sven
Manticore Arms

@Manticore_Arms

How else are you gonna know how it's put together if you don't take it apart?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I had to figure out on my own how to take apart my Tavor 7 in order to get it cerakoted.

I may or may not do the same with my Hecklion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I do Cerakote. I’d rather take something apart than mask it off.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Question on sling attachment. I have noticed the front QD on the handguard is a bit snug and I would like to use the hard point on the rifle. I know a HK snaphook fits in the front but I am not sure about the rear hard point. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Most people don't completely disassemble their car just to see how it is put together, same applies here....unless there is real purpose to taking it apart (i.e. for prototyping aftermarket parts, like we do), there is no reason to be pulling it apart beyond a field strip and in the case of the Hellion, I highly recommend against it both due to the complexity and also due to the inability to easily get replacement parts when you end up breaking or losing something.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Sven
Manticore Arms

@Manticore_Arms

Most people don't completely disassemble their car just to see how it is put together, same applies here....unless there is real purpose to taking it apart (i.e. for prototyping aftermarket parts, like we do), there is no reason to be pulling it apart beyond a field strip and in the case of the Hellion, I highly recommend against it both due to the complexity and also due to the inability to easily get replacement parts when you end up breaking or losing something.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Exactly ...
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I get it but that screw is quite evident it is not a Phillips head but rather a specialized fastener ...
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Handled another Hellion.  For some reason I remember not liking it originally when I handled it.  Not sure what changed (maybe I just warmed up to it) but handling this new one... man, oh man.  What a nice feeling rifle.  I forgot how damn smooth the action is.  Only thing I still don't like is the pinch to release the bolt, but I'd be fine just running the CH on a mag change.  The action is extremely smooth.  I may end up getting one eventually, now.  Definitely like the feel more than the AUG and Tavor X95.  I just wish Springfield would sell parts as I don't like having a rifle in the collection that I can't have some parts for.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 10:02:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimesSU] [#44]
Originally Posted By B62stew:
Question on sling attachment. I have noticed the front QD on the handguard is a bit snug and I would like to use the hard point on the rifle. I know a HK snaphook fits in the front but I am not sure about the rear hard point. Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote

I had a custom sling made by 'Blue Force Gear' for mine.

Black webbing with steel adjustment buckles, then an HK hook front attachment, and Push-button QD rear attachment.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/custom-sling-builder

This was my build,

Front Webbing Color
   Black
Back Webbing Color
   Black
Adjuster Pull Tab Color
   Black
Front Attachment Hardware
   Sling Snap Hook - HK Hook
Rear Attachment Hardware
   Push Button Sling Swivel
Sling Hardware Options
   Alum. Adjuster / Steel Triglides  
Front Hardware Attachment
   Permanently Sewn In
Rear Hardware Attachment
   Permanently Sewn In
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By B62stew:
View Quote

I use paracord up front and a BFG U-Loop and QD in the rear ...
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Besides, using actual sights is over-rated.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RichardJBizz:

Besides, using actual sights is over-rated.
View Quote

That is correct
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote

By pouring over exploded drawings.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Been looking at bullpups for about six months. Local range had a Hellion to rent so I tried it out two weeks ago. Liked it except for the chin kisses it gave me (I'm a lefty). Earlier in the week I saw Midway had one for not much more than Bud's (and I wouldn't have to drive to get it) so I ordered it up. Received it yesterday, first step was to change over to left-hand ejection. Was a little bit of a PITA just because I hadn't done it before and everything was tight (being new). Took her to the range today and I really like it. It's heavy compared to my ARs but with the weight concentrated rearward I find it easier to hold my aim on target than an AR. To me the trigger almost feels like a two-stage unit with the long initial takeup. Looking forward to any upgrades coming down the pike besides the safety levers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#50]
18” and 20” models inbound from Springfield armory.
Page / 24
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 8 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top