Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 13 of 79)
Page / 79
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wsix:

Haha, maybe.

Balance is off. I'm gonna drop the pistol and put the canteen on the right to balance out the load, and add another X6, and a french gasmask bag as a buttpack.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

Maybe your body is rejecting this new intrusion of old pain

Is it the way it hangs and carries?

Haha, maybe.

Balance is off. I'm gonna drop the pistol and put the canteen on the right to balance out the load, and add another X6, and a french gasmask bag as a buttpack.

Looking at the pic, load balance was going to be my guess. Looking forward to seeing version 2.0. The ALICE thread has lots of good gawking for people like me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
I think I have the belt and suspenders setup for a trial run tomorrow during a two gun match.

L to R: double pistol pouch on top of a single AR pouch, triple AR pouch, 4 x sewn on utility pouches (currently have canteen cups on top of each along with a metal cup under one and a cup stove under the other in the outboard pouches), Safariland holster on a G-Code QD plate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/089F5006-20FA-4D37-BEBF-DDB518A16FFC_jpe-2707049.JPG

The center utility pouches are empty as I haven’t figured out my load up for those. Tomorrow is a shorter match and with shit weather, so I’m taking a small backpack in case layers need to be stripped off. Figure one or more could be extra ammo for a match, but I’ll just run them empty tomorrow and make sure everything else is setup to my liking before playing Tetris with those. I’ll also add a short knife or multitool pouch behind the holster at some point.
View Quote

Very cool. What size did you go with and do you like the sizing?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
I think I have the belt and suspenders setup for a trial run tomorrow during a two gun match.

L to R: double pistol pouch on top of a single AR pouch, triple AR pouch, 4 x sewn on utility pouches (currently have canteen cups on top of each along with a metal cup under one and a cup stove under the other in the outboard pouches), Safariland holster on a G-Code QD plate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/089F5006-20FA-4D37-BEBF-DDB518A16FFC_jpe-2707049.JPG

The center utility pouches are empty as I haven’t figured out my load up for those. Tomorrow is a shorter match and with shit weather, so I’m taking a small backpack in case layers need to be stripped off. Figure one or more could be extra ammo for a match, but I’ll just run them empty tomorrow and make sure everything else is setup to my liking before playing Tetris with those. I’ll also add a short knife or multitool pouch behind the holster at some point.

I honestly can’t remember the size I bought, but I used the guides on Kit Monster and my honest measurements and the bits fit well. The belt has tons of extra room, but that makes sense if it’s going to fit in all weather conditions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Haha, maybe.

View Quote

My pistol game plan is a LCP and extra mag banded together, in a ziploc bag, in a pocket or buttpack.  All the transition to pistol before reloading rifle is cool guy 25 yard gunfights that I'd really really aim to stay out of.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]

I honestly can’t remember the size I bought, but I used the guides on Kit Monster and my honest measurements and the bits fit well. The belt has tons of extra room, but that makes sense if it’s going to fit in all weather conditions.
View All Quotes

Good enough. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Ran the Kit monster yoke and hippo belt today at a very rainy 2 gun match. Worked well and was super comfortable compared to a loaded battle belt.

While only wearing an Eagle Industries 3 day pack between stages for ammo and clothes, the canteen cups on top of the canteens definitely made the shelf you all have been talking about. With a framed ruck I could totally see the advantage for long range patrolling.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:

My pistol game plan is a LCP and extra mag banded together, in a ziploc bag, in a pocket or buttpack.  All the transition to pistol before reloading rifle is cool guy 25 yard gunfights that I'd really really aim to stay out of.
View Quote

I may do exactly that with a Ruger EC9, but I think i'll keep it on my person/1st line.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Ran the Kit monster yoke and hippo belt today at a very rainy 2 gun match. Worked well and was super comfortable compared to a loaded battle belt.

While only wearing an Eagle Industries 3 day pack between stages for ammo and clothes, the canteen cups on top of the canteens definitely made the shelf you all have been talking about. With a framed ruck I could totally see the advantage for long range patrolling.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/0CF28F99-DA17-4D68-A336-A2EB3B2D0382_png-2708656.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/1116F5A8-FFB9-4F94-8F37-DF00C8300ACC_png-2708668.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/772C6757-10CB-46B2-B770-531B363A4CF4_jpe-2708669.JPG
View Quote

That hamilton kit looks absolutely good. I am fond that a non European appreciates it.

Did you use a spent mag pouch?

What kind of buckle does the belt have? Did you experience some negative things (like slippage if roll pin, or lack of quick adjusting if cobra or standard buckle?)

Do you have intentions of wearing it along body armor? If yes do you plan to run the same yoke over or under it or changing it for some lower profile/under armour type harness?

Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:

That hamilton kit looks absolutely good. I am fond that a non European appreciates it.

What kind of buckle does the belt have? Did you experience some negative things (like slippage if roll pin, or lack of quick adjusting if cobra or standard buckle?)

Do you have intentions of wearing it along body armor? If yes do you plan to run the same yoke over or under it or changing it for some lower profile/under armour type harness?

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/0CF28F99-DA17-4D68-A336-A2EB3B2D0382_png-2708656.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/1116F5A8-FFB9-4F94-8F37-DF00C8300ACC_png-2708668.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/772C6757-10CB-46B2-B770-531B363A4CF4_jpe-2708669.JPG

No dump pouch like I use on my battle belt, but one could probably be rigged up to hang under the fixed utility pouches, though you'd have to fish for it if the pouches were filled to capacity to soft/bulky clothing items.

I got the plastic Cobra buckle. No issues with the belt slipping or coming undone, though this was far from the most physically strenuous match I've ever shot. Regardless, I don't see it being an issue and anything which would break the plastic buckle would probably injure the squishy human bits around it as well

No intentions of wearing armor with this. I got the "no armor" yoke which has padding and buckles you wouldn't want under a vest or plate carrier. If I'm wearing armor I have a triple AR mag shingle on my PC and run the battle belt as it sits lower on my hips and lets me clear the armor with mags and the pistol. I might drop this down another inch or two, as the pistol draw made me chicken wing a bit, but all in all I see the utility in a setup like this and plan to use in in matches this year to test it some more on the clock and in situations where unconventional shooting positions are the norm. I might also move the holster and mag pouches as far forward on the belt as I can. With three layers on, including a waterproof jacket, the belt got expanded and my triple AR pouch went from the 9 to the 7:30 and would have been far from ideal trying to get mags out with a quickness.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I picked up this set up on eBay. Hopefully it's decent quality. Looking forward to LARPing with it in the woods this spring.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]

No dump pouch like I use on my battle belt, but one could probably be rigged up to hang under the fixed utility pouches, though you'd have to fish for it if the pouches were filled to capacity to soft/bulky clothing items.

I got the plastic Cobra buckle. No issues with the belt slipping or coming undone, though this was far from the most physically strenuous match I've ever shot. Regardless, I don't see it being an issue and anything which would break the plastic buckle would probably injure the squishy human bits around it as well

No intentions of wearing armor with this. I got the "no armor" yoke which has padding and buckles you wouldn't want under a vest or plate carrier. If I'm wearing armor I have a triple AR mag shingle on my PC and run the battle belt as it sits lower on my hips and lets me clear the armor with mags and the pistol. I might drop this down another inch or two, as the pistol draw made me chicken wing a bit, but all in all I see the utility in a setup like this and plan to use in in matches this year to test it some more on the clock and in situations where unconventional shooting positions are the norm. I might also move the holster and mag pouches as far forward on the belt as I can. With three layers on, including a waterproof jacket, the belt got expanded and my triple AR pouch went from the 9 to the 7:30 and would have been far from ideal trying to get mags out with a quickness.
View Quote

you may put shock cord around the utility pouches, but regarding the Dump Pouch the british standarn now is having it under the mag pouches, many belt kits now have two d rings there to suspend a dump pouch. i think you can fit a dangling roll up pouch like a surplus usmc one from the lowest pals strip under the mag pouches if you want, otherwise one like the Kitpimp or the Luminae design sure are easier to mount there.
https://www.kitpimp.co.uk/product/kitpimp-roll-up-dump-pouch/
https://www.luminae.co.uk/Shop/Luminae-Dump-Pouch-p316612558

Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:58:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFS1589] [#12]
RE: Dump Pouches

My attempt to see what was possible to add in terms of a dump/utility type pouch.

The Tactical Tailor Fight Light Rolled Dump Pouch seemed to fit the role fine on the 2 lower D rings on a Jay Jay's belt.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Well, I picked up this set up on eBay. Hopefully it's decent quality. Looking forward to LARPing with it in the woods this spring.
View Quote

Looks good in pictures. i was gifted a very used one that's just like the cheaper ones the seller has and while being far from top quality (definitely in "cadet qulity" territory) still held reasonably well.  

A little nuance that i see with both this and the Hamilton one posted above is that the belt looks to be two piece of strap stitched to the belt padding instead of a single part that goes thru. That way the padding is taking a lot of the load of the utility pouches and in the long run it may deform. Also if there is some stretch in the padding getting a stable fit is maybe a little more complicated, but maybe i am just overthinking it as the belt thru was just a old school way of doing it and you both are not definitely going to overfill the pouches with electronics and spare batteries that have the worst weight to size ratio as possible . I think in the end it will serve both of you well.

This is the only pic i have at the moment of the cheap "cadet quality" webbing i was given. Used for some reserve training without problems, but definitely not on par with Dragon Supplies, JayJays and such (belt was also 2 ply material that started to separate). Worn under plate carrier, shoulder straps are i think from DBT i had laying around, i put extra pistol mag pouch, radio pouch, a small strobe pouch and a USMC surplus dump pouch dangling from the back d rings.

A poor man's version of what brits usually wear. Seems also some ukrainians are carrying items that way, substantial belt kits and few items on body armors. That pic of mine is atleast 3 or 4 years old.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#14]
On quality, that's definitely a moving target, and depends to a large extent on what you're up to.  As Joe sez, "cadet" quality stuff WILL work; it's just not as robust as the professional grade.  But then again, you have to be in really deep kimchi before you would see the difference.  Guys like Jay Jay's have direct feedback from the The Lads, who do jungle rotations in Borneo, where your kit will definitely shred if not up to snuff.  But for occasional work in North American woodlands, it will probably be just fine.  However, if you see yourself doing more and more patrolling in the coming days, it would behoove you to consider sturdier stuff.

If you are using a belt kit to help support a rucksack, the continuous web belt does come into play.  Without it, the cordura will stretch under load, pushing it down in the back.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#15]
Anyone who is looking for a PLCE compatible pack for a deal, Botach is blowing out Karrimor brand packs.  

According to Karrimor's page, the specific pack I listed below IS compatible with PLCE style webbing (the british belt kit system)

These are supposed to be pretty nice little packs.

Predator 45 Patrol Pack, Multicam - $150, usually $400

https://botach.com/karrimor-predator-patrol-45-litre-rucksack-multicam/

These are the side panels that fit on the pack.  Each one has 2 x triple AR mag pouches and a 200 round SAW sized pouch (that should hold a 2 liter canteen fine)  $30 each.  

https://botach.com/karrimor-predator-side-pocket-plce-single-multicam/

If you order today, use the below code for another 10% off.

PDS2023
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I just scored a NI patrol pack from eBay.  Not only is it essentially brand new, there was actually a Gerber sheath knife in one of the external pockets.  Not sure how it technically matches size wise, but I moved everything from my medium Alice into it with ease. It does carry very nice. Looking forward to a longer “tab” than just a few laps around my yard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
I just scored a NI patrol pack from eBay.  Not only is it essentially brand new, there was actually a Gerber sheath knife in one of the external pockets.  Not sure how it technically matches size wise, but I moved everything from my medium Alice into it with ease. It does carry very nice. Looking forward to a longer "tab" than just a few laps around my yard.
View Quote
Might want to try one of this style Sternum Straps, maybe use a Triglide on each side to make the loop snug around the padded shoulder straps to prevent it from constantly sliding down onto the 1" webbing section:  
MOLLE Sternum Strap

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#18]
That Karrimor pack was copied and issued around 2010 as the 45L infantry patrol pack (or something similar). it is the descendant of the NI patrol pack, it came prior to the VIrtus DCC daysack pack.
https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=2015-12-17-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHN1BgNPhxY

If you are hunting for surplus ones be careful as i've never seen that many around while i have seen plenty of the similar "ECM Bergen" ones. Those Electronics CounterMeasure packs meant to hold RF Jammers, but are similar in construction including the possibility of fastening side pouches to it, i don't know how well it would fit standard items, however.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/ecm-bergen.301352/

That say, looking at UK Forces TV video about training another surge of Ukraininans looks like they are issued british style belt kits in OD to be worn under slick body armor, the british way.

Note that the earlier wave of trainees months ago was issued with surplus PLCE kits in MTP (pre-virtus and reserve surplus possibly) along with NP Aerospace plate carriers with provision for carrying only plates, while this armor carriers look like can accept soft armor too (they are made NP Aerospace as well). Those belt kits look like a custom order to me as i am not aware of issued items like those (there are swedish trainers, but id doesn't look like Stridvast m2000 or m12 webbing).

It is the same old concept, i guess:
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/british-pattern-58-water-bottle-surplus/72612

4.99 ea no cup
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ATTom:
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/british-pattern-58-water-bottle-surplus/72612

4.99 ea no cup
View Quote

Will a 1L Nalgene or similar fit in the utility pouch of the PLCE or are these the recommended ones to use? I have a shit ton of plastic and metal 1L bottles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djohn] [#21]
View Quote

Just stuff spent mags down the front of one's parka

Well, I picked up this set up on eBay.
View Quote

That set was on my watch list - I'm glad you got it! Hope it works well for you
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Will a 1L Nalgene or similar fit in the utility pouch of the PLCE or are these the recommended ones to use? I have a shit ton of plastic and metal 1L bottles.
View Quote

It depends on whether Nalgene bottles will fit or not.  Specifically it depends on which pouch you are using.

I am using Osprey MTP molle british surplus CANTEEN pouches on the main rig I'm playing around with.  The 1L generic nalgene bottle WILL fix for instance.

Canteen shaped bottle tend to be better for carrying though.

Pro and cons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Nalgenes will fit in PLCE utility pouches.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
Nalgenes will fit in PLCE utility pouches.
View Quote

Not all of them will close completely on a nalgene.  I've run across a few that won't close all the way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#25]
Hanging in here for a well-advised and one-stop shopping set of gear.

I personally favor non-permantely attached belt pouches, wishing to keep options open.  I have many USGI MOLLE/PALS pouches available and would like to use them if possible.  Understood that doing so has weight consequences.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:18:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#26]
Originally Posted By raf:
Hanging in here for a well-advised and one-stop shopping set of gear.

I personally favor non-permantely attached belt pouches, wishing to keep options open.  I have many USGI MOLLE/PALS pouches available and would like to use them if possible.  Understood that doing so has weight consequences.

View Quote

I went with this and added mag pouches on the left and a holster on the right.

https://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/1876

I believe they also have a suspenders/yoke and all MOLLE padded belt option if you wanted it completely modular. Been happy with it so far and the quality in construction is apparent. I spent about $300 for that belt set up, some mag pouches, and canteens, cups, and a stove with shipping from the UK.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Hamiltons is probably one of the best, if not the best mfg, after the custom guys.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

Not all of them will close completely on a nalgene.  I've run across a few that won't close all the way.
View Quote

In my experience, the canteen pouches won’t fit a Nalgene, but utility pouches do.  Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between the two pouches, especially if the labels are worn off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm confused on which vendor to choose for best choices/prices.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By raf:
I'm confused on which vendor to choose for best choices/prices.
View Quote

Whichever has everything in stock is likely to be cheapest overall based on the crazy shipping costs. Kit Monster was cheapest when I purchased last Fall for the complete set I noted earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Raf that's a tough one.  To just get your feet wet, you could try "cadet grade" off of ebay.  These are mostly the after-market guys.  Next up would be actual MOD-issue PLCE, in DPM or MTP.  Then there might be the odd vendor like Dragon that are pretty good.  After that would be something from Kit Monster, either their "Airborne" webbing sets, or Hamiltons.  Or possibly a used JJ's or Dixie's.  Then would be new Jay Jay's or Dixie's Corner.  

The best bang for the buck would probably be PLCE issue, especially if you don't mind DPM.  But make sure to buy the complete set, as they might have funky attachments (non-molle) on the older stuff.  This would be the equivalent to buying USGI kit over here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Diz, i am not sure standard PLCE would be the best choice. I have a set customized to "airborne" style and there is a lot of work involved to making it, just like there are various mods you can do to alice to make it better. Aside for stitching extra pouches or flaps as needed there is the aftermarket belt hippo pad, pouches are bunched together in a weird way with zip ties, cord and carabiners.

I think the best would be the one with the fixed utility pouches and the partial PALS webbing just like the member above, as as the LRS member correctly pointed not everyone has needs for 4x3 magazine pouches.
If it was for me i would start with the belt even a full molle one like this atleast 3 pals high
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=dpm+molle+belt&_sacat=0
or some from this seller that may serve well
https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?item=165954014636&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=kostykurdy0
You may be losing part of the "shelf" made by UK utility pouches and gain a little extra weight in material, but a full molle belt can be tailored and cheaply set up with surplus i guess. You may start to appreciate the british way with it and maybe upgrade later.

That said, Forces TV posted a good picture of a ukrainian trainee showing the green (unknown to me) webbing worn under a soft+hard armor carrier without pouches and a pack (ripoff of the camelbak motherlode which is a popular aftermarket patrol pack in uk) carried resting on the back pouches. For what it's worth definitely being trained the british way

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#33]
How about This rig from London Bridge Trading.  $340.  American made
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
How about This rig from London Bridge Trading.  $340.  American made
View Quote

It's a chest rig.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#35]

It's a chest rig.
View Quote

Oh yeah.  My bad.  Not a belt with suspenders.  Serves the same purpose though.  I’m a London Bridge fan boi too.  They make good stuff.  Got the email that this was on sale and thought about this thread
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Oh yeah.  My bad.  Not a belt with suspenders.  Serves the same purpose though.  I’m a London Bridge fan boi too.  They make good stuff.  Got the email that this was on sale and thought about this thread
View Quote

Yeah, LBT makes bombproof gear and they run great sales.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

In the same vein as "not a belt, but sort of close":

https://www.venturesurplus.com/products/eagle-industries-h-harness-5kh/

If I counted right, that a monstrous 26 columns of PALS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#38]
The weight of those Eagle rigs when fully loaded out with empty pouches is surprising to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MFS1589:
The weight of those Eagle rigs when fully loaded out with empty pouches is surprising to say the least.
View Quote

You say "heavy" and all I hear is "sturdy".

From what I understand its meant to be worn over a bunch of other kit.  26 columns of PALS itself is what, 39 inches?  You'd have to be pretty big dude to rock that or always wearing some armor underneath it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:

You say "heavy" and all I hear is "sturdy".

From what I understand its meant to be worn over a bunch of other kit.  26 columns of PALS itself is what, 39 inches?  You'd have to be pretty big dude to rock that or always wearing some armor underneath it?
View Quote

Pretty sure they were designed to be worn over armor.  Kind of a revision of the FLC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I am not a fan of the eagle h harness. It has its lineage in the israeli ephod harnesses and the 80/90s copies of It made by LBT/Eagle industries. It Is very large, side adjustment straps add a lot of minimum length. Sure, It Is built so you can remove the back panel running only the two side ones and there are thick flotation panels inside that makes It wearable for smaller sizes, however it's also built so you have to have pals in the front over the front of your thighs, you can't adjust to have the front panels Wide apart in front. Very american way. Also i don't like the way the harness with the back panel wears. Oh, It Is also A LOT of 1000d double ply cordura.

I already showed this picture in this thread, but these 3 rigs are all sizes for me, top to bottom my old army issue israeli ephod, British webbing, alice with belt pad. Note how different Is the padding, the British One ending on the side of the body. Expect the eagle harness to be similar to ephod.

Also note this Pic of a British soldier trying to wear a blackhawk harness (itself a copy of the eagle One shown here) the way a British webbing would wear. Note how badly It wears, as the front buckle straps are in the longest possibile position to clear the front of the thighs
and having the pouches start at 3 and 9 o clock, however the shoulder straps (being not Wide apart and having that very stable 3 strap setup to fasten to the belt) pull toward the center canting the panels. Surely he didn't die, but i think there are definitely more comfortable ways of carrying kit. Note that it Is worn lower than an american would carry, so the panels hug the iliac crest bone which Is a very Wide part of the body, controbuting to canting of the panels and rendering the lower front buckle unusable as its strap isnt long enough.

Link Posted: 2/25/2023 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#42]
How does running a radio work with these rigs? I'm trying to imagine the cable routing from radio to PTT and access to the radio.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#43]
Originally Posted By mstar1:
How does running a radio work with these rigs? I'm trying to imagine the cable routing from radio to PTT and access to the radio.
View Quote

Mine is on a pouch attached to the rear part of the rear magazine pouch on the left (which is used for my IFAK).  It ends up wedged between the magazine pouch and my left canteen pouch.

You can then route the cord up the rear left strap, which goes to my canteen pouch.

Or, since I run an 8 point harness, you can instead run it up the front left, rear strap, which attaches to my left rear ammo pouch.

I also have one of those flexible radio antennas and you can weave the antenna along the MOLLE, right between the pouches and the belt.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Regarding radio brits are carrying the bowman system.
The large prc354 Is a brick, bigger than mbitr. It sits in a utility pouch, usually they are modified with antenna ports and kdu pouch. It has to be worn battery pointed outside or It Will overheat, so no Quick access to It, It Is managed via kdu. Smaller personal infrateam radio are usually worn on plate carrier or on non firing shoulder stap (It was done that way since Forever as the l85 Is can be only fired frommthe right).

I carry mine on a radio pouch attached to the two webbing straps that usually are on the leftmost utility pouch, which are meant for bayonet sheath. It Is accessible and can be cinched down with elastic or not, your choice. Of carrying a larger mbitr type radio you have to rebalance the load accordingly (i carry baofeng or issue ICOM in It, so no big weight shifting)
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Many issues here.  Yes, MOD issue might not be a good choice, as compared to more modern stuff, but apples-to-apples, it is the USGI equivalent of LC2/782 or whatever.  That seems to be what Raf keys on.  Not judging just saying.  

Radios, hoo boy, carrying that brick on the belt line just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  That's just one man's opinion.  I rig my radio up to a small assault pouch.  That way all the wiring is confined to a pack, which I can take off.  I don't always want to talk to people.  Color me anti-social.  Over-heating is a big issue.  I've tried various methods of water-proofing, padding, even EMP-proofing, and they all generate heat.  The closest I've come to solving this is a pouch high up on a pack, where it can get some ariflow, but also some shock or moisture.  My only solution so far is to have extra radios and replace as needed.  That and a large baggie, turned up-side down, with holes poked through the top for antennae and wiring.  Bottom left open for cooling.  Some baggies have a flat bottom (triangle-shaped) which you can put duct tape on, then slit for perturbances.

Yes, various hybrid rigs have been tried, combining chest rigs with belt kits.  Like the concept, but back then we built stuff bomb-proof which equals heavy.  Er I mean sturdy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Luckily for most involved here, the worse we have to worry about is our Baofengs when it comes to radios.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, it's true that most of us rely on some iteration of Baofeng radios.

While heat buildup can be an issue, so is the "water-resistance" of most Baofeng radios; I'm assuming that most Baofengs are not "Water-Proof".  I have my reservations about that feature (or lack of it).

Adding to potential issues is whether or not user employs the large-capacity battery.

So far I have found GI Milsurp "flash-bang" pouches to work reasonably well with the large cap batt Baofengs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#48]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Many issues here.  Yes, MOD issue might not be a good choice, as compared to more modern stuff, but apples-to-apples, it is the USGI equivalent of LC2/782 or whatever.  That seems to be what Raf keys on.  Not judging just saying.  

Radios, hoo boy, carrying that brick on the belt line just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  That's just one man's opinion.  I rig my radio up to a small assault pouch.  That way all the wiring is confined to a pack, which I can take off.  I don't always want to talk to people.  Color me anti-social.  Over-heating is a big issue.  I've tried various methods of water-proofing, padding, even EMP-proofing, and they all generate heat.  The closest I've come to solving this is a pouch high up on a pack, where it can get some ariflow, but also some shock or moisture.  My only solution so far is to have extra radios and replace as needed.  That and a large baggie, turned up-side down, with holes poked through the top for antennae and wiring.  Bottom left open for cooling.  Some baggies have a flat bottom (triangle-shaped) which you can put duct tape on, then slit for perturbances.

Yes, various hybrid rigs have been tried, combining chest rigs with belt kits.  Like the concept, but back then we built stuff bomb-proof which equals heavy.  Er I mean sturdy.
View Quote
I wouldn't say I am "married" to anything, and I would "like" to think I am reasonably open to new ideas and so forth.  It's true I make the occasional comment concerning re-purposing items already owned, but I believe a lot of people might also want to do so, as long as no significant penalty is incurred by so doing.

IMHO, finding ways for people to effectively re-purpose at least some existing items might make them more prone to adopting this "Belt-Kit" approach.

It's one thing to say that one will need to spend "X" amount of dollars on a proper kit from overseas.  Quite a different thing to say that one can spend maybe 1/2 "X" dollars by repurposing currently owned gear as well as buying certain critical items from across the pond.  Just so long as such "re-purposing" does NOT significantly compromise the concept.

I believe the entire approach (pack + belt kit) has some definite merits.  Very glad that this thread has provided some very useful info.

Very impressed by the high signal-to-noise ratio in this thread, and that's because of the well-informed posters making highly useful comments.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#49]
A question for those using one sustainment pouch for food, fire starting, clothing, or other ‘not ammo’ purposes…whatcha packin’?

With 5 rifle and 3 pistol mags on the pouches and in the weapons themselves I should be able to fit the rest of my desired round count in one sustainment pouch, probably the right one to put a bit more weight on that side of my spine and offset the 4 rifle / 2 pistol mags on my left side. This leaves me the left inboard sustainment pouch for ‘not ammo or water’ and I’m trying to figure out what all to have on me.

With the canteen cup stove I’m planning for a few fuel tabs and matches, also want an extra pair of socks, and maybe a light weight poncho for an emergency ‘I don’t wanna get wet’ situation. Could also break down an MRE.  I’m kinda thinking I can store all that in an extra Nalgene bottle to make waterproofing easier and help with the shelf building concept.

I grew up in the GWOT in IZ and personal sustainment on your person wasn't really a thing beyond water. Any pointers on what to put in 1-1.5 of the Hamilton sustainment pouches would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cap6888] [#50]
@towerofpower94

Here is how I have put mine together.....

The "MRE" is a homemade one I rolled myself. I know some of the labeling is off because of the colors, but I tried my best.
Page / 79
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 13 of 79)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top