Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 14 of 79)
Page / 79
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cap6888:
@towerofpower94

Here is how I have put mine together.....

https://i.postimg.cc/J4NSr43Z/V2.jpg

The "MRE" is a homemade one I rolled myself. I know some of the labeling is off because of the colors, but I tired my best.
View Quote

Thanks much. Gives me some ideas with what to put where.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By raf:
So far I have found GI Milsurp "flash-bang" pouches to work reasonably well with the large cap batt Baofengs.
View Quote

Same here.  They also work well for tourniquet pouches.

Considering you can pick them up for a buck or two each and they only take up one column of MOLLE, they are a great bargain.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
A question for those using one sustainment pouch for food, fire starting, clothing, or other ‘not ammo’ purposes…whatcha packin’?

With 5 rifle and 3 pistol mags on the pouches and in the weapons themselves I should be able to fit the rest of my desired round count in one sustainment pouch, probably the right one to put a bit more weight on that side of my spine and offset the 4 rifle / 2 pistol mags on my left side. This leaves me the left inboard sustainment pouch for ‘not ammo or water’ and I’m trying to figure out what all to have on me.

With the canteen cup stove I’m planning for a few fuel tabs and matches, also want an extra pair of socks, and maybe a light weight poncho for an emergency ‘I don’t wanna get wet’ situation. Could also break down an MRE.  I’m kinda thinking I can store all that in an extra Nalgene bottle to make waterproofing easier and help with the shelf building concept.

I grew up in the GWOT in IZ and personal sustainment on your person wasn't really a thing beyond water. Any pointers on what to put in 1-1.5 of the Hamilton sustainment pouches would be appreciated.
View Quote

I run a buttpack instead of the utility pouches, so I have a bit more sustainment room.  But my load is similar to the picture under your post, but I can also stuff a poncho liner in mine, or more food, or a rain jacket.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
It's just a matter of shifting gears and taking a lot of that shit in your "3-day pack" and getting it on the belt line.  I will generally go with 2 x 1qt Brit canteens, w/ 1 x plastic , and 1 x metal cups.  Also fold up stove and heat tabs.   Depends on size of pouch; sometimes you can get your "brew kit" in there, others are too tight.  So in any event, I have a baggie w/ instant coffee, cocoa, soup, and oatmeal.  That's enough shit to last you a couple of days+ if necessary.  Sometimes I will add bullion cubes, honey, and cliff bars.  This might take up half (or more) of a sustainment, so I will normally go with a small gunshot wound kit on top, if I'm running just 3 sustainments.  If I'm running 4, then you can pack more E&E stuff in no. 3 and have a separate pouch for GSW kit plus TQ.

A lot of this is going to depend on your SOP, and what you want to carry in your pockets, aka 1st line gear.  For woodland patrol, I prefer old style BDU jackets, with two regular chest pockets, which get a compass (L), notebook and pen, small LED flashlight, and cut-down signal panel (R).  I sew 2 x shoulder pockets on, which get E&E kit #1 (general), and E&E kit no. 2 (medical).  So depending on what you want on your body, the rest goes in the sustainment on the beltline.  It's just a matter of where you want stuff like paracord, tape, matches, etc. on the one side, and then a few bandaids, meds, crylex and tape, etc. on the other.  Pretty much based on the pilots survival kits.  And of course regional stuff like snares, fishing kit, etc.  And perhaps even hand cuff keys, and lock picks, at your discretion.  

Of course there's overlap, such as extra matches in the E&E kit, vs lighters in the brew kit.  Crylex and tape in the E&E kit, vs more of same in the GSW kit (aka IFAK).  You could have spare batts in either/both kits, and so on.  

Thinking in terms of what do need on belt line if I drop my ruck; and what do I need in pockets if I drop my belt kit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve really become enamored with the Brit style kit.  A smock, PLCE type belt rig, and I just got a NI pack.  Really seems like a good combo for me.  I’m hoping to get some free time in a few weeks after a trip to spend a weekend with it to see if it really is all that at seems.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah it's amazing that another country comes out with kit superior to ours, when their R&D departments or whatever are miniscule compared to ours.  Go figure, huh.

Not sure why that is, but have some theories.  First of all, the entire Brit MOD, or Ministry of Defense is smaller than our Marine Corps.  That's their entire Army, Navy, Airforce, and Marines.  Their Army is still set up on an individual, regimental system.  These regiments are spread throughout the British Iles in semi-independent base camps.  Each regiment has a reserve battalion attached directly to it.  When you do your active duty, you go where your parent regiment is, whether Germany or Borneo.  This does several things.  Firstly, the officer and NCO corps are much smaller, and much more professional.  This means SOP's, T,T,T,P's, etc. are more strictly enforced and more uniform throughout.  Secondly, reservists are much closer to their active duty counter-parts, both literally and figuratively.  Finally, as this relates to the matter at hand, their attention to detail is much more focused on their individual kit, much more so than the average Joe.  You don't see this level of detail until you get into the Ranger batts, SF, etc.  The overall level of soldiering in a leg infantry regiment is superior to an equivalent US unit.  

Another reason may be the Brit infantry is much more light infantry-centric, in thought and deed.  Again being broken down into regimental base camps, they are still highly focused on force marches and foot patrols.  Last time I was over there training on the "Fan", the local regiment (the Royal Welsh) was up on the mountain, in full kit, for a little romp.  Just another day at the office for them.  I don't think most US regiments do this on a weekly basis, below Ranger Batt level (insert joke about latest sensitivity training initiative here).  So again, their kit is more focused on foot movement, vs working out of vehicles.  

And finally, I think the average Brit soldier is used to being a bit more self-sufficient in the field.  Not only because he's used to being in a largely independent regiment, but also does not have the benefit of a robust, well-developed log train.  This means he used to being on his own, more or less when he's out in the field.  Re-supply might or might not happen, so he is fully prepared to take care of himself, as opposed to your average Joe, who is basically spoon-fed in comparison.  This means you typical Brit Squaddie will have enough kit on hand to last a few days on his own, and explains why you see these Brit belt kits with 3-4 sustainment pouches in the rear.

We did an exchange program with the Royal Green Jackets.  We traded two line companies for a couple of weeks.  The company we got was squared away.  We marveled at their belt kits and Bergens.  They marveled at our hot chow and transportation.  We basically treated these guys like kings.  They treated our guys like shit, force marching and starving them to death.  But this serves to demonstrate the different mind-sets, between a reserve rifle Bn in the Brit system, and a ArNG Bn in ours.  I traded all my kit for Brit stuff, and never looked back since.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it's true that most of us rely on some iteration of Baofeng radios.

While heat buildup can be an issue, so is the "water-resistance" of most Baofeng radios; I'm assuming that most Baofengs are not "Water-Proof".  I have my reservations about that feature (or lack of it).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yes, it's true that most of us rely on some iteration of Baofeng radios.

While heat buildup can be an issue, so is the "water-resistance" of most Baofeng radios; I'm assuming that most Baofengs are not "Water-Proof".  I have my reservations about that feature (or lack of it).

This is a hard subject for me having come from career of tactical communications at team levels. No, the Baofeng radios are not remotely “milspec”; however, they’ve proven adequate for “me”. I’m not fast-roping, jumping, or getting shot at for a living. I have used them in some training drills and patrolling around the home. I’m a fair-weather warrior these days. If it’s raining, I put up a rain fly and wait it out. If I have to do a water crossing, I use the kayak. I haven’t had any failures yet, and while we all want bomb-proof, the only bomb most will probably will see is the “ramen bomb.”

Originally Posted By Diz:
And finally, I think the average Brit soldier is used to being a bit more self-sufficient in the field.  Not only because he's used to being in a largely independent regiment, but also does not have the benefit of a robust, well-developed log train.  This means he used to being on his own, more or less when he's out in the field.  Re-supply might or might not happen, so he is fully prepared to take care of himself, as opposed to your average Joe, who is basically spoon-fed in comparison.  This means you typical Brit Squaddie will have enough kit on hand to last a few days on his own, and explains why you see these Brit belt kits with 3-4 sustainment pouches in the rear.

While this has been my observation, I would probably say that our innovation and development for mission-focused gear moves at lightening speeds, much more so than any other military, including the Brits. Gear makers can quickly innovate niche products for rapidly changing operational environments. We have shifted so far from basic field sustainment exercises to in-and-out missions where infil or exfil is quick and some other method of transportation other than LPCs. Missions were shorter, field sustainment was also shorter.

The Brits have been slower to upgrade and modernize and I think that’s to their benefit right now. What was once new, became old, and is now new again.

I will say this of the Brits I’ve known, they know fieldcraft. It’s a much better integrated art than in the US Forces outside of small pockets.

While it’s a good problem to have in combat where our logistics is tier-one and you can do a combat operation in the afternoon and then have steak and lobster tail that evening in an air-conditioned facility, it does rob the opportunities to reinforce the independent soldier-survival and basic fieldcraft skills. I could share stories for days from our conventional (non-combat) units. Can’t eat without a utensil, food must be hot, need flavored water, creamer for coffee, can’t shit without a port-o-john, no TP is a CCIR, don’t understand field hygiene, couldn’t make a fire with a road flare and can of JP8, stand-to is just another snooze button, fire-watch is nap time, heat rash means a TMC visit to the rear, poison ivy means quarters for two weeks, cold ops are done in garrison…

The Brits use field kit, we use niche-operational gear. The British ops excel at exercising fieldcraft, we excel at executing the operation as fast as possible so we don't worry about training fieldcraft.  

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Ha ha yeah that's a pretty good break down of the two armies, warts n all.  Yes we are a victim of our own success.  Or is it excess.  Either way, we've gotten pretty fuckin' spoiled, there's no other way around it.

I was thinking about what I wrote when I was at the gym, and it occured to me, much like you were saying, the Brits are superb on canned battle drills that can be done reflexibly without orders, but perhaps don't have our penchant for improvisation, innovation, and just plain crazy.  Now there's a lot to be said for having IA drills down cold, but also lots to be said for being quick on your feet as well.  

But at the end of the day, you take the strengths and weaknesses of your partner forces and help each other out, so it's usually a fair trade of things.  In this case, you can definitely learn from their load bearing equipment, which IMHO is light years ahead of ours.  Although I'm trying to change that.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Diz:
I was thinking about what I wrote when I was at the gym, and it occured to me, much like you were saying, the Brits are superb on canned battle drills that can be done reflexibly without orders, but perhaps don't have our penchant for improvisation, innovation, and just plain crazy.  Now there's a lot to be said for having IA drills down cold, but also lots to be said for being quick on your feet as well.
View Quote

Just as a side note, my son's nearing the end of his Infantry Basic Officer Leader's Course at Benning.

They talk about drills, do a few iterations and just use them in their OPORD to address all the SOP/battle drills for coordinating instructions. He smoked is platoon leader evaluation a couple weeks ago, but this week is urban ops (what he's trained to do on his SWAT Team), so I'll be interested to see how much that little cocky bastard disagrees with the cadre

He's sucking wind though as he got butt-stroked in the head when getting evacuated as a "casualty"; busted his eyelid open. And during the their platoon Large Scale Combat Operation (LSCO) evaluation he got to roll in poison oak, got it on his leg and so bad it got infected and is now chewing on steroids and antibiotics (close to blood poisoning), but he's driving on.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Just as a side note, my son's nearing the end of his Infantry Basic Officer Leader's Course at Benning.

They talk about drills, do a few iterations and just use them in their OPORD to address all the SOP/battle drills for coordinating instructions. He smoked is platoon leader evaluation a couple weeks ago, but this week is urban ops (what he's trained to do on his SWAT Team), so I'll be interested to see how much that little cocky bastard disagrees with the cadre

He's sucking wind though as he got butt-stroked in the head when getting evacuated as a "casualty"; busted his eyelid open. And during the their platoon Large Scale Combat Operation (LSCO) evaluation he got to roll in poison oak, got it on his leg and so bad it got infected and is now chewing on steroids and antibiotics (close to blood poisoning), but he's driving on.

ROCK6
View Quote
All the best for your kid!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey man that's awesome.  I know you're a very proud papa.

When I was at "The Basic School" at Quantico, I saw a guy eat a blank at, well, point blank range.  There's a lot of angry gas shooting out of that BFD!  Luckily it missed his eyes but it did roast his nose and cheeks.  So facial trauma seems to still be a thing.

Don't even get me started on poison ivy/oak/sumac.  

Wish him all the best.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Having read a lot, and responded little, I wonder if a very wide "Hippo" belt plus suitable shoulder harness might work well with two woodland nylon late-issue USGI buttpacks substituting for 4 smaller Brit Pouches. Granted that USGI items are scarce and becoming expensive nowadays. Some Brit items also expensive, with included shipping.

I'll defer to those having tried such an approach, but I reckon there's always more than one way to skin a cat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You won't fit two buttpacks between 2 x canteen pouches.

You could probably run two buttpacks by themselves?

^^  Coming from someone who uses the British system but runs a us style buttpack between two british canteen pouches instead of all the utility pouches.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#14]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

^^  Coming from someone who uses the British system but runs a us style buttpack between two british canteen pouches instead of all the utility pouches.
View Quote
Yes, thinking about using two USGI buttpacks side-by-side, with canteens externally mounted on the exterior of the right and left hand sides of the "twinned" buttpacks.  Two buttpacks total; two canteen pouches total.

Just tossing out ideas in order to minimize expense while still maintaining viability of original concept.

Late-Model GI Buttpack
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#15]
....that's alot of bounce and sag, that those two canteens are going to cause to the buttpack.

You kinda want the heaviest weight directly on the belt.

Maybe if you tied the canteen pouches into the belt AND the buttpack, or the buttpack AND the next set of pouches in line.  Or all the above.  

Or you can just pick up some of the British Osprey surplus pouches on the cheap and use those instead.  Probably be cheaper than the two buttpacks alone.  There are 4 or 5 different pouches.

Dutch DPM camo pattern MOLLE pouches are PLCE style pouches too.  As are the Danish fleck ones.  

Here's an example of a British Osprey Molle Utility pouch.  New.  I've seen them cheaper on occasion.  (These are $12)  They have 3 or so different utility pouches and a canteen pouch.  They are very similar to eachother, differing in size and interior rain flap or not.  All of them I've seen will take up only two columns of MOLLE.  I can fit a total of 5 pouches on the back of my British style belt.  Or 2 pouches and a MOLLE buttpack.  

Buying these will probably be cheaper and better than the 2 x buttpacks + added canteen pouches you are looking at.

If you must have the buttpack, the Velocity Systems buttpack is nice, and the Fireforce one is too.  I have the Fireforce one.  It's a bit heavier than the Velocity systems, but it's more heavy duty and slightly larger.  Either one works with the British pouches to create that shelf for the backpack.

https://colemans.com/british-military-waterproof-utility-pouch
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, thinking about using two USGI buttpacks side-by-side, with canteens externally mounted on the exterior of the right and left hand sides of the "twinned" buttpacks.  Two buttpacks total; two canteen pouches total.

Just tossing out ideas in order to minimize expense while still maintaining viability of original concept.

Late-Model GI Buttpack
View All Quotes

Late-Model GI Buttpack

I think that will be to bouncy. They already are a little bouncy  even when utilizing the harness so all the weight isn't on the belt. It's not bad though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:15:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner63a] [#17]
Attachment Attached File
@raf if you go with that dual "Bum Bag" as P58 style Kidney Pouches, then I would suggest an H Harness with quad support straps in the rear, in the style of the 44 Pattern Braces (but bridged in H Harness configuration)

Or even the PLCE Harness, although I think I would  route the secondary support straps from the front legs, cross in the rear then angled out to reach the outboard D Rings on those butt packs, then two vertical straps coming off the H Harness to support the inside D Rings, for isometric tension.

Attachment Attached File

As a smaller alternative, the HSGI 200rd SAW/2qt Canteen Pouches for Kidney Pouches (6.75" x 6" x 4" 162 cubic inches):
Attachment Attached File

That MTP Ute Pouch at Coleman's is their Pouch, Utility/Ammo, UGL 40mm 8rd Pouch, 9" x 5" x 5" 225 cubic inches, and has option to use velcroed dividers inside:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Yikes, 2 buttpacks is taking up a lot of real estate, but I suppose it could be done.  You'd be pretty much up against your mag pouches but if you have enough waistline, ok.  Like Stoner sez, the Brit style yoke would be optimal, to get a strap to the hangers on each buttpack.  Then I'd seriously consider some bungee, like the Brits do, to cinch up the bulk.  But canteens hanging off from the packs might be a bridge too far.  You could maybe get away with that on one buttpack, but two sounds like too much.  As Doc said, you're gonna get a lot of sway on that.  Maybe look at those 1 qt soft canteens/bladders to work inside/right under lid of each pack.   Or direct attach them to belt, right in front of each pack, and adjust ammo pouches.  

Never seen it done but that doesn't mean you can't pull it off.  Only one way to find out.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#19]
....that's alot of bounce and sag, that those two canteens are going to cause to the buttpack.

You kinda want the heaviest weight directly on the belt.
View Quote

My thinking as well...

On my other kit, I'm using a Velocity Systems butt pack, but you also have to realize it's not just supported by the hippo belt, but also supported by the harness system...which really helps increase stability and reduce the floppy-effect.

Just having a butt pack as as stand alone is going to be really unstable and the heavier or bulkier the load, the worse it will get. The problem with unstable, bouncy/floppy kit is that your balance points continue to shift when doing any dynamic maneuvers which will likely end up in a mechanical injury and embarrassing nose dive in the dirt. Heavy shit needs to be as close to your center of gravity as you can get and secured as tight as possible.

I guess if you used a six point harness and were able to secure both butt packs with harness straps it might work, but you definitely want to have compressible butt packs to avoid the 'partially-full-floppy" effect.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Me thinks this is why Brit squaddies, in their infinite wisdom(!), went with 4 pouches back there.  Think of one big pouch with 3 dividers.  Then, they add in a "bum" pouch on top of it, for any odd-sized cargo.

Lots of guys love their butt packs, and they do have a certain charm, but(t) unless you have two giant buttcheeks, it might be a bit much.  And no I'm not calling Raf a fat-ass.  

I've also seen these guys (Nixie works or something) who make this giant buttpack/small ruck, reminiscent of the Kifaru design, which works as a patrol type rig.  This would probably be the way to go, if you wanted that kind of volume, vs two x GI buttpacks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm a huge fan of buttpacks but I typically keep larger lighter stuff in there.

Socks, 550 cord, cliff bars, gloves, stocking cap, TP, poncho strapped on top. Maybe a cleaning kit or stripped down MRE.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#22]
You all make some good points in your responses.  I am persuaded that the general concept is a very good one for many purposes, and also that the "Brit Kit" is also fine for same purposes.  I'm encountering some personal confusion about exactly what to purchase, but that can be solved.  My main "sticking" point is the very high shipping prices, sometimes amounting to nearly the same amount as the gear itself.  Even items offered domestically reflect this.

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I'm a huge fan of buttpacks but I typically keep larger lighter stuff in there.

Socks, 550 cord, cliff bars, gloves, stocking cap, TP, poncho strapped on top. Maybe a cleaning kit or stripped down MRE.
View Quote

I do it mostly so I can stuff a poncho and a poncho liner in there along with the stuff you mentioned.

If you get the right poncho and liner, it'll fit.

But yes.  Pros and cons, like Diz says, the British utility pouches are a bit more stable.  I have another duplicate of my buttpack rig set up with utility pouches.  Pros and cons.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#24]
You all make some good points in your responses.  I am persuaded that the general concept is a very good one for many purposes, and also that the "Brit Kit" is also fine for same purposes.  I'm encountering some personal confusion about exactly what to purchase, but that can be solved.  My main "sticking" point is the very high shipping prices, sometimes amounting to nearly the same amount as the gear itself.  Even items offered domestically reflect this.

View Quote

If I were starting over again?  If I didn't worry about money, I'd get one the Jayjays belts and yokes (add a bum roll and a couple canteens / cups / and one of the metal cups while ordering from them)

I'd probably get one of their kits that have the 4 x utility pouches sewn into the rear and molle for ammo pouches.  I'd then get 4 x velocity systems or fireforce triple ammo pouches.  Use one for an IFAK with an IFAK insert from Varustreleka.  

But that setup is going to cost you $$$$$.  $500-600 after shipping.

If I were on a budget, I'd get a SORDusa MOLLE belt (British style, but Aussie company and shipped from the USA), a surplus Danish or British yoke (or bite the bullet and get a Jayjays one or get one of the SORD ones, which I love except it doesn't have a mesh panel in the back)

I would then source out 2 x surplus British Osprey MTP canteen pouches (for canteens or nalgene bottles), 3 x surplus British / Danish / Dutch / Czech utility pouches (they all work) to go along the back.  The British ones take up only 2 columns of MOLLE.  They also make larger Dutch ones that take up 3 columns of MOLLE.  

I would then find 4 x of the DUTCH surplus MOLLE magazine pouches - they fit 3 x AR magazines each.  And use the IFAK insert from Varustraleka.   (I like my velocity system ammo pouches I picked up used, but after messing with the Dutch surplus pouches, they would work totally fine, 95% the pouch the Velocity pouch is, and 1/4 the price of even used velocity pouches)

You can build out the above rig for around $200.  I did one for around $150 this way.  I am quite happy with this setup.

(If you do the SORD belt, be aware that the belt doesn't have built in rings for attaching the yoke to it.  The SORD system weaves the yoke's webbing through the molle between the belt and the pouches - it's confusing until you pay attention.  They have pictures on their site.  Or do what I did and add a D ring to each pouch and attach the straps to each pouch.  This works well since I run an 8 point yoke and a buttpack - every pouch and the buttpack is attached directly to the harness.)

These are the Dutch mag pouches to get btw. The Dutch have a few different ones.  Note I have never ordered from this site before, I know nothing about them.

https://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/Used-Dutch-Camo-Mag-Pouch-p/144194.htm
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#25]
That's a pretty good breakdown there.  Thanks for that.

Pretty much agree on all accounts.  Just bought a complete Jay Jays molle rig and pouches.  Yes it is expensive but well worth it.  

With any luck we might see my rig by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#26]
I'll have to carefully review all above responses.  I have loads of suitable (PALS) pouches available.  I reckon the first place to start is with a damn good waistbelt and shoulder harness.  From that fundamental basis I can see if what I've got adapts properly to the belt and go from there.  If not, then will ask further advice.

Since the belt and shoulder harness are both critical, cost is secondary to the ultimate goal.  I'd sure like a sweet deal but will take what comes.

For my own reasons, I prefer being able to attach/detach pouches in lieu of having pouches sewn-in to the belt.

Specific suggestions are most welcome.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Vietnam-era setup with a BAR belt and M56 pouches. The canteens are suspended from the sides of the buttpack as there is no provision for slide keepers on the belt. It works all right walking, but it will bounce like a mother when running. Not something I'd recommend if I had another option. I can't imagine a more modern LBE being significantly better in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll have to carefully review all above responses.  I have loads of suitable (PALS) pouches available.  I reckon the first place to start is with a damn good waistbelt and shoulder harness.  From that fundamental basis I can see if what I've got adapts properly to the belt and go from there.  If not, then will ask further advice.

Since the belt and shoulder harness are both critical, cost is secondary to the ultimate goal.  I'd sure like a sweet deal but will take what comes.

For my own reasons, I prefer being able to attach/detach pouches in lieu of having pouches sewn-in to the belt.

Specific suggestions are most welcome.
View Quote

Get this belt from JayJays.  Add a yoke from them.  Expensive option because of British shipping.

https://www.jayjaysbrecon.co.uk/load-carriage/molle-webbing-belts/molle-hippo-pad-3-row--multicam__2640

Or this belt from SORDUSA if you don't want to spend as much.  Good quality stuff.  They have a yoke too, pros and cons to it listed above.  If you don't like it, get one of the Danish surplus yokes floating around at surplus shops here for cheap.  Shipped from USA so shipping is cheap.  Also, they have 20% discount codes around most holidays if you are patient.  

https://www.sordusa.com/belt-pad-patrol-order-sbc~2439537

There are other British companies.  kitmonster has similar belts and yokes.  Expensive shipping.  I forgot most of the others.  The companies are listed in this thread somewhere.  But the general go-to is the Jayjays one above.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah a copula things here.  I have experimented with 2,3,4,5,6,7, & 8" wide belts.  I am going with 8" wide now, which seems extreme but actually works quite well.  The other is what kind of padding/backing it has.  For really jungle-like conditions, you need something that drains/dries quickly.  This means the padding and back panel needs to shed water/moisture like a bad habit. So with these two in mind, I concur, the best off the shelf option right now is Jay Jay's "hippo" belt and matching yoke.  And just to back that up, I spent over two years experimenting with every conceivable belt config and ended up coming around full circle back to Jay Jay's.  

So in your case, Raf, you'd want the full molle belt, and yoke, which you could then experiment with pouches to your heart's content.  But again, I would recommend looking at Brit-style pouches, especially for the sustainments, to create a nice ruck shelf.  

BTW, since it was the OP, "Sam Culpepper" just did a nice vid on the Vel Sys jungle kit.  After stepping all over this thread, I figured it's the least I could do to point that out.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#30]
Well, the webbing set I ordered through eBay never arrived, so I had that order refunded and just bit the bullet and placed an order w/ Jay Jay's for a gen 4 commander's webbing, Multicam Yoke, bumroll, and a Pattern 58 canteen.

Hopefully this order actually arrives.

Now to sell some of the spare gear I have piled up to fund this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:04:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slapdaddy] [#31]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Well, the webbing set I ordered through eBay never arrived, so I had that order refunded and just bit the bullet and placed an order w/ Jay Jay's for a gen 4 commander's webbing, Multicam Yoke, bumroll, and a Pattern 58 canteen.

View Quote

So yer the one who bought the last yoke, curses!

I still picked up a bum-roll and hippo pad from them.  I'll just get the Velocity suspenders and call it good.

Shipping was not pleasant, but the heart wants what the heart wants and now I can stop obsessing about this and get on with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:09:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#32]
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:

I still picked up a bum-roll and hippo pad from them.  I'll just get the Velocity suspenders and call it good.

Shipping was not pleasant, but the heart wants what the heart wants and now I can stop obsessing about this and get on with it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

Ha! Sure, I'll take that blame.  I agree, the shipping sucks, but it was made easier when seeing they took the VAT off which pretty much equaled what shipping cost.  I got out the door for 323.30 GBP all said and done.

ETA: I just checked the site again and the molle yoke shows available as of 0812 CDT, @slapdaddy,
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Recently pieced this together
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:31:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#34]
Attachment Attached File

This is the only way to avoid the shipping.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

You are going to want a 6 or 8 point yoke.

Danish surplus yokes pop up on US surplus sites cheap on occasion.  Sportsmans Guide was selling a 3 pack of new ones for like $15 awhile back.  They are out of stock now.  They are an exact copy of the British issued 6 point yokes.  I would add a simple sternum strap (across your chest) with a couple pieces of webbing and a plastic buckle.  Otherwise they work fine and will be more stable than the Velocity Systems harness.  (the extra straps help distribute the weight better and stabilize things, especially if you have a pack resting on the pouches)

Here's a new one shipped from Lithuania for $25 as an example of what to look for.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/582069014/original-danish-army-camo-m-96-webbing
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Every Piece Of Gear In An Army Jungle Soldier’s 72-Hour Bag | Loadout | Insider Business

Back on the original topic, that video is why it makes sense for spirutus systems making basically a high tech alice LBE.

This SGT in Jungle School showing how they still carry Alice belt kit over issue Molle gear, worn the same way since the 70s.

Nice to see the whole kit and nice to see some commonwealth influence (the jetboil stove which is nice but i never used as i found it cumbersome for a single man, the silva compass which usually is put in a tailored pocket sewn into the front of the uniform and the australian cam cream which i don't know the brand, anyway i suggest using Snazaroo face paint as it is exceptionall good for field use).

Good material. Helmet not worn, extra shoes somehow like it was pioneered in vietnam with Operation Safe Step that among other things issued Comfort Slippers to be worn at camp instead of boots.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xkf60upUPU

Back on the original topic, that video is why it makes sense for spirutus systems making basically a high tech alice LBE.

This SGT in Jungle School showing how they still carry Alice belt kit over issue Molle gear, worn the same way since the 70s.

Nice to see the whole kit and nice to see some commonwealth influence (the jetboil stove which is nice but i never used as i found it cumbersome for a single man, the silva compass which usually is put in a tailored pocket sewn into the front of the uniform and the australian cam cream which i don't know the brand, anyway i suggest using Snazaroo face paint as it is exceptionall good for field use).

Good material. Helmet not worn, extra shoes somehow like it was pioneered in vietnam with Operation Safe Step that among other things issued Comfort Slippers to be worn at camp instead of boots.
View Quote

And everything important tied to your person, because "... the jungle just takes stuff from you."

Watching that video reminds me (as though I had forgotten) that operating in that environment means just accepting that you won't be dry again until it's over, so best to just make peace with it and prepare as you can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

And everything important tied to your person, because "... the jungle just takes stuff from you."

Watching that video reminds me (as though I had forgotten) that operating in that environment means just accepting that you won't be dry again until it's over, so best to just make peace with it and prepare as you can.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xkf60upUPU

Yup, embrace the suck is a real think.

I was at the jwtc for about a month.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been following this thread because putting together an old school LBE rig with some modern touches is on my list of things to do.

I came across this company while looking for an H style harness....anybody familiar with them?

Tiger Stripe!
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]
After many well-considered responses, I'm thinking that the widest "Hippo Belt" is my best bet, along with already owned Danish 6-point harness.  

I reckon that I can augment such with appropriate and already-owned rear pouches for a "Platform".  Side and front pouches not an issue.  Am willing to revise after field trials.

I'm not stupid, just thrifty.

Specific suggestions very much requested.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#41]
Yeah that's the Nixies I was referring to awhile back.  If you like the buttpack/assault pack concept, it's a good way to go.   They make other camo patterns besides tiger stripe- not that there's anything wrong with it.

If you get a hippo belt and yoke, most anything will fit on there, with a little ingenuity.  Our "OCP" (multicam) issue stuff has nice 2-mag and canteen pouches.  Also the Eagle issue stuff if you can find it.  And then, TT, LBT, Paraclete, etc.  And of course VelSys!  Then there's the woodland molle that proceeded it, and of course the LC1/2 stuff before that.  You can remove the ALICE clips and rig with either paracord or "one-wrap"; it will fit, sorta; just takes a little finagling.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Just received my Jay Jay's order.  Ordered over the weekend, shipped on Monday, received in TN on Friday.  Hard to be upset about that, even if it was expensive.

This set up is great! Obviously haven't done anything with it in the field, but I see why so many people sing it's praises.  High quality, well thought out, and surprisingly comfortable! I'm going to load it up soon and take my fat ass on a hike to try and be less of a fat ass.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! This is a great thread!
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 5:40:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#43]
Just caught up with this thread - some great comments as always @diz.  The refreshed version of the PLCE is the ducks nuts.  Even the PLCE, properly squared away (lashed in with paracord or bungee) is still comfortable and very adaptable.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Just a sidenote on why I'm "interested" in integrating some already owned USGI gear into this interesting and valuable concept.

I'm 72 years old, 6'3" about 240#, and actually "big-boned", so to speak.  I require "Tall" size upper garments both for body fit, and sleeve fit.  More fat than muscle than I would like, but there it is.  I reckon I could stand to lose at least 30#, but perhaps more or less.  I "get around" just fine.

The point is that this sort of rig intrigues me as being suitable for people like me particularly when short distances are expected.

I have "tons" of ALICE dear, as well as "tons" of MOLLE gear.  Including "late-issue" ALICE nylon buttpacks and lots of other obscure ALICE and MOLLE items.  Thus my interest in using already owned gear, as opposed to buying expensive foreign gear.  I certainly do understand that making the entire rig as useful as possible is the primary goal, as opposed to simply saving money.  A defective outcome is NOT desirable.

So, based on existing advice, I reckon I'll buy a wide "Hippo Belt" from Jay-Jays.  I already have some Dutch shoulder yokes which should be useable.  FWIW, I'm no stranger to adapting various items/platforms to one another.

Without side-tracking this thread, I'd appreciate some further advice.  Not just for myself, but for others in similar circumstances, possibly regardless of age, or possibly for folks with some physical impairments that make such a rig far more useful to them than other rigs.

Perhaps this might be a "marketing" point.  Just a thought.

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Point taken Raf.  Although I'm the biggest gear queer around, I understand the concept of using what's available, vs what's "the best in class" or whatever.   There is absolutely nothing wrong with ALICE and LC1/2 load carrying stuff.  Not to mention a lot of the molle stuff.   With a good hippo and yoke, you could cobble up a decent system to work in conjunction with a good ALICE pack (although I'd upgrade the suspension).

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#46]
TYVM for kind and understanding comments.  I understand that there will be a certain "temptation" to use components which do NOT suit the overall concept well.

That is a "trap" into which it is "easy" to fall. Field trials will tell, and hopefully those of us who make mistakes will realize them and make adjustments.

Thanks to you, and folks like you in this thread, perhaps I will not succumb to such pitfalls.

Much obliged for your comments!

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Now I wish I had held onto all the old X and H harness set ups and pouches I had.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#48]
In the theme of this thread, but tell me if this is an exercise in futility before I begin. I have an HSGI padded molle battle belt with pistol and rifle tacos, I was thinking of reconfiguring and adding suspenders and some larger Molle sustainment pouches to make for more of an LBE setup for larping and range stuff.

I've seen elsewhere that the suspenders should be mounted to sustainment pouches, but the belt has built in triglides, can I use those or not recommended?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Matt_The_Hokie:
In the theme of this thread, but tell me if this is an exercise in futility before I begin. I have an HSGI padded molle battle belt with pistol and rifle tacos, I was thinking of reconfiguring and adding suspenders and some larger Molle sustainment pouches to make for more of an LBE setup for larping and range stuff.

I've seen elsewhere that the suspenders should be mounted to sustainment pouches, but the belt has built in triglides, can I use those or not recommended?
View Quote

I believe the premise is that the suspenders attached to the pouches helps distribute the weight better.  You might be able to achieve this by sliding and d ring onto the molle strap of the pouch and then attaching the suspenders there.  Someone with better knowledge hopefully will chime in though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I am stuck in a 'jayjays molle - jayjays hybrid - homespun velocity jungle setup' loop.

Since it's all for fun anyway it's hard to let need determine direction.
Page / 79
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 14 of 79)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top