Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 45 of 79)
Page / 79
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
As far as cold weather, the idea is that the buddy team could split up the sleep system, whatever that might be, because one is on stag, while the other sleeps or does admin.  So a proper cold weather sleep system could still be carried, just one complete system between two guys.  So each guy carries a bag, that are combined together, or one bag and one bivy cover, etc.

Even if the team only carried 3 sleep systems, with one guy on stag, it's still some weight savings.  

If you actually needed a tent, then again it is split up between two guys.  Or a team tent split up between all 4 guys (that only needs to fit 3, right?).  

More food, cook stoves, and fuel.

Obviously, a larger pack is required.

You won't be comfortable all the time, but enough to stay operational.  

And I'm not saying it won't suck, but it's doable.

We worked with the Swedes a couple of years ago in developing a tent for reconnaissance work up on the Russian border, so I get it, sometimes it's so cold you gotta have full kit for everybody.  They could only stay on cold routine for a day or so before guys had to rotate to warming tents in the rear.  But most of us are below the arctic circle.
View Quote

I get the concept of splitting up actual sleep systems.  However - I've done alot of backpacking along the Appalachian Trail.  There are times, especially at night, even in the summer, where you will have rain, everything will be soaked, and it's 50-60F overnight.  'being comfortable'  and  'surviving being soaked and cold' are two very different things.  Even the guys on watch and not sleeping will need rain gear and some form of insulation.  We aren't operating in the GWAT era where you have access to vehicles, modern weather forecasting, resupply, evac, etc.  You and your bros are going to be alone in your scenario.

And tents are nice - however, from backpacking, a simple tarp is all you need 99% of the time for survival.  Sure, arctic swedish snow recon units, you might need more.  But once you learn to pitch a tarp a few different ways, you don't need more.  You can get quality lightweight tarps that don't fall apart that are not heavy and bulky.  A quality 10' x 7' Sil-Nylon tarp weighs in at less than a pound.  Add a bivy sack and you cover all your shelter needs, even in nasty rain.  There are hundreds of backpackers who use this system for months at a time backpacking the various long trails.  

Don't take me wrong, I get the pros of a real tent, especially in the winter, where I see the need for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:

I am the first to admit that after 15 years of normal 9 to 5 life (living in a country village, so lot of outdoor activity) i am no longer confident i can easily live in the field with less than two MREs and two liters of water per day, sleeping over half a foam mat that covers only the torso, wrapped in a poncho liner with goretex trousers on as i used to do.

I just got back from the yearly commemorative march on the path that a SAS team made where i live in a operation in 1944 (Operation Pomegranate if you want to check). 3 days, 75 kilometers, with packs, in the woods, sleeping in rural houses.
Dang, this year it got old fast.
View Quote

You will learn again fast.  In the backpacking world, it takes 3-4 weeks for people to adapt to sleeping like that and other conditions.  

However.  Getting old sucks and you need to make up for it eventually with kit.  This is why I have been coming back to belt kit - I'm getting older and I don't recover as easily from overheating and while I know I'm not having hip or knee issues now, I want to avoid that as long as possible, especially with hard times on the horizon.  Last thing I want when the chinese paratroops start to drop or the skinwalkers appear out of the woods or the interdimentional aliens start to land or whatever idiocy this timeline we are on happens....and I'm old and down with injuries.  So I'm looking at belt kit again.  

Upgrading your kit will give you a little more breathing room in this respect.  It's not some magical fix that suddenly makes you superman, but it lessens the harsh edges, the wear and tear.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]
US WW II Army implemented the "Shelter-Half" system.  Each GI carried  1/2 Shelter-Half plus 1/2 half the poles/stakes necessary.  Basically, a cotton canvas open-bottom "Pup-Tent".  As one can imagine, with canvas and wood items, it weighed a lot.

Problems arose with casualties and after-action disorganization.  No Expert but I have never heard a single word in praise of this system, nor in praise of the actual "Shelter-Half " item itself.  For personal protection against the elements, the "shelter-halves" were much inferior to a poncho, which is saying something.

Having played with surplus items when a kid, I can understand why troops disliked both the item, and the deployment system.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
20 years ago my gear in Iraq was the following;

PASGT vest and K pot
LBV with belt
2-1 quart canteens (two cups and one stove)
2-200 round SAW pouches
2 frags
Buttpack with poncho/liner, spare socks, MRE, trioxane bars
Camelbak (actually a Blackhawk version)
CLS bag
M40 gas mask
SAW and spare barrel bag.
AT4

Medium Alice with;
2-200 round SAW drums
MOPP suit
Spare uniform (DCUs, socks, drawers)
MSS bivy bag
3 MREs
Wet weather tops and bottoms
Basic hygiene stuff

As a combat engineer unit, we didn’t move much farther than a few miles without just loading up onto trucks. So there’s that. Back then we thought we our load out was fairly easy. I’m sure now, it be moving wayyy slower if at all carrying all that.

With the LBV strapped into the PASGT, while it seemed heavy to just pick it up, when wearing it, it was comfortable. I believe the difference is “wearing” the weight instead of carrying it.  I think that’s the difference with PLCE. You “wear” the weight more than carry it. My current PLCE loaded is 25 pounds, but wearing it, you hardly notice it.i can easily operate with just that for 24 hours plus.  Add in a camelbak and some extra food, I could go 48-72 hours.  Weather is the limiting factor.  I could do those time frames from spring through early fall.  Once the temps drop, you have to add a pack for snivel gear and a sleep system (sleeping bag, not Ranger roll). Seeing as I won’t be carrying a belt fed or AT4 anymore, that weight savings helps to allow for other gear allowances.  For a “civilian defense force” staying under 60 pounds is fairly easy. No fancy weapons or equipment to make up weight.  Hot swapping sleeping systems is definitely a way to help share weight. If recon or knowledge of the AO allows for places to access water, you can cut down water weight.  Although I would like to still step off with 4 liters for a 96 hour op.  Just in case.

Joe said it best, knowledge trumps equipment.  You can improvise a lot of things in the field so you don’t have to pack “luxury” items. Although as we get older, some of those luxury items will pay in dividends.  I’m gonna have to bring an inflatable sleeping pad nowadays. If I sleep on a half inch foam pad, I’m gonna be useless the next day.
View Quote

I can see the major things carried in the pack are food and seasonal clothing and the extra shelter items past your poncho (which is your emergency shelter)

Maybe we should look at what long-range backpackers take for gear too.  They do this stuff for 4-6 months (some longer) for 30+ miles per day, almost without stop.  Combine what they carry for sustainment with your basic combat load.  

As for inflatable sleeping pad - yea, I getcha.  I'm older now.  For most of my adult life I slept on a bedroll on the floor (by choice).  I do like my cushy foam bed now.  However, a month of sleeping on that 1" foam backpacking mattress will go a long ways to getting you back into that condition.  And I'm going to say this - almost everyone, with only a few exceptions, that I've seen take an inflatable sleeping mattress with them on longrange backpacking trips?  Those mattresses catastrophically failed on their trip.  Just pointing that out, because there will be no 'lets hop into town to resupply and get me a new mattress, k?'.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By raf:
US WW II Army implemented the "Shelter-Half" system.  Each GI carried  1/2 Shelter-Half plus 1/2 half the pols/stakes necessary.  Basically a cotton canvas "Pup-Tent".

Problems arose with casualties and after-action disorganization.  No Expert, but have never heard a single word in praise of this system, nor in praise of the actual "Shelter-Half " item itself.

Having played with surplus items when a kid, I can understand why troops disliked both the item, and the deployment system.
View Quote

Well considering that the system really hadn't changed from the same concept that was instituted in the civil war, except for the addition of a dedicated pole systems and different canvas, it really did suck.  It sure wasn't waterproof and most guys that my group has talked to sure didn't carry them.  They would rather have a raincoat and blanket maybe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
i think for shelter in the ruck a Tarp/ Bivy/ sleeping bag is a hard combo to beat. Hang a low profile Plow point, bivy underneath with an appropriate weight bag and something like the FDF sleep pad and there's not much you can't endure environmentally. That is exactly my setup but I also include a casualty tarp/blanket for under my actual tarp for reflective heating / thermal signature minimization.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
US WW II Army implemented the "Shelter-Half" system.  Each GI carried  1/2 Shelter-Half plus 1/2 half the poles/stakes necessary.  Basically, a cotton canvas open-bottom "Pup-Tent".  As one can imagine, with canvas and wood items, it weighed a lot.

Problems arose with casualties and after-action disorganization.  No Expert but I have never heard a single word in praise of this system, nor in praise of the actual "Shelter-Half " item itself.  For personal protection against the elements, the "shelter-halves" were much inferior to a poncho, which is saying something.

View Quote

The Germans issued the Zeltbahn during WW2.  It was a triangular 'shelter half' that doubled as a poncho.  It was not made of canvas like the USGI shelter half, but of a tightly woven cotton poplin weave, similar to Ventile cotton fabric.  This made it lighter and almost waterproof.  They also treated it with waterproofing treatment to help it be even moreso.  

The zeltbahn weighed in at right around 2 pounds.  You could probably get it slightly under that if you replace the metal grommets it had with modern webbing straps like alot of the good tarps are going to.  

A USGI poncho weighs around 24 ounces, so the Zeltbahn wasn't that much heavier.  It WAS a bit more bulky though.  German webgear strapped it to the outside of their gear though.  

The zeltbahn would also have the benefit of being much more durable than a modern poncho.....

https://www.atthefront.com/category-s/181.htm
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

1.  Cut out one of the canteen cups.  You don't NEED two of them.  That weight would be better served elsewhere.

2.  Each person should have a poncho, minimum.  Even if no poncho liner.  It doubles as rain gear, shelter, and extra sleeping layer.  Everyone NEEDS a rain gear layer.

If you get a modern poncho, made of modern materials, and a modern poncho liner - well, mine is 25 years old, but it's one of the special run of poncho liners Brigade Quartermaster made back in the day with thinsulate insulation instead of poly batting.  Warmer, lighter, and packs significantly smaller.  I can EASILY fit both the poncho and poncho liner in my buttpack with about half the pack's space left.  I should pull them out, but I'm pretty sure I can fit both into a single surplus PLCE utility pouch.  I know I can fit one of the two into the pouch by itself.

That weight and space is worth each person carrying.  It gives you rain gear and a minimum of insulation for emergencies / sleeping / really bad weather.

3.  Everyone should have a compass and basic map.  Even if just a minimalist compass and a general map of the area.

4.  Medic bag - I'm going to be brutally honest here.  If you are down to running community defense patrols, odds are that you will not have modern medical care, much less evac, available.  Even if you CAN break contact as a small and get your wounded bro and are able to E&E back to your main basecamp / community / whatever with the wounded dude, the odds that you will have modern medical care, or for alot of these groups, ANY care more than basic stuff, is really slim.  We are not talking about a modern military unit.

I'm not saying don't take a medic bag, or even IFAK's.  I'm saying that they can be minimal.  You and your group might have trained medics and doctors back at base, but your average local community isn't going to have that.  The best most of them can hope for is a nurse or something that's back at base.  Just food for thought.

5.  Same with suppressors and NVG.  Odds are these groups won't have them, especially suppressors.  You are going to be lucky if your groups ends up with a few baofang radios.  But I get the idea.

6.  I like some of the stuff Nixieworks is doing, I've been eying his stuff since it came out.  However, the idea that I'm stuck carrying everything in a big buttpack and that buttpack totally destroys my ability to carry any pack other than a tiny assault pack?  Naw.
View Quote

The bolded is a harsh reality for what I'm betting most will face when SHTF. No surgeon, A BOK is gonna be wasted space IMO. My kit has one but I don't personally know any Docs that will be around SHTF so I pretty much count on dying if I'm shot/ sustain a serious bleed.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]

I can see the major things carried in the pack are food and seasonal clothing and the extra shelter items past your poncho (which is your emergency shelter)

Maybe we should look at what long-range backpackers take for gear too.  They do this stuff for 4-6 months (some longer) for 30+ miles per day, almost without stop.  Combine what they carry for sustainment with your basic combat load.  

As for inflatable sleeping pad - yea, I getcha.  I'm older now.  For most of my adult life I slept on a bedroll on the floor (by choice).  I do like my cushy foam bed now.  However, a month of sleeping on that 1" foam backpacking mattress will go a long ways to getting you back into that condition.  And I'm going to say this - almost everyone, with only a few exceptions, that I've seen take an inflatable sleeping mattress with them on longrange backpacking trips?  Those mattresses catastrophically failed on their trip.  Just pointing that out, because there will be no 'lets hop into town to resupply and get me a new mattress, k?'.  
View Quote
I long ago gave up on any sort of "inflatable" air mattress due to item failures.  It's one thing to attempt repair of such an air mattress when in dry and reasonable temperatures, not omitting alcohol to clean the puncture area, and if you can find the puncture(s).  Quite another thing to repair such inflatable mattresses in extreme cold and without adequate surface prep in order to promote patch (do you have one?) adhesion.

It's highly unlikely one will be repairing one's inflatable air mattress in the driving rain, or the blowing snow.

I'm not an Expert such as @ROCK6 but for extreme conditions, I don't consider inflatable air mattresses a viable device.  YMMV.

What I do is include an (admittedly) bulky closed-cell foam sleeping pad, and augment it as lower temps require.

I think we are straying a bit beyond the original "Hot Weather/Jungle intent of the thread.  Understood LOTS of overlap between hot/cold and wet/dry environments.  Just my opinion, and I understand the fundamental concept of "Jungle"/Hot weather concept of the belt kit can be augmented/adapted to other climates.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Vexed:

The bolded is a harsh reality for what I'm betting most will face when SHTF. No surgeon, A BOK is gonna be wasted space IMO. My kit has one but I don't personally know any Docs that will be around SHTF so I pretty much count on dying if I'm shot/ sustain a serious bleed.
View Quote

I mean, I'm not saying don't take a BOK.  A small minimalist one is worth having.  The big, bulky IFAKs people have today will be a waste of space and weight.  Also since most people are idiots and won't have one anyways, they are going to have to make do with whatever they can scrounge up.  Personally I have a couple nice ones, because you never know in regular life, plus I want all the chance I can have to survive some idiocy.  I'm also a realist and realize that if something happened to me, I'm not getting modern medical care.  Heck, most people will be lucky to have something to disinfect a wound.  

Here's a much more important question you should be asking during SHTF scenarios than 'what's in my IFAK?'  It's  'WTF is Dakin's Solution?'
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]

The Germans issued the Zeltbahn during WW2.  It was a triangular 'shelter half' that doubled as a poncho.  It was not made of canvas like the USGI shelter half, but of a tightly woven cotton poplin weave, similar to Ventile cotton fabric.  This made it lighter and almost waterproof.  They also treated it with waterproofing treatment to help it be even moreso.  

The zeltbahn weighed in at right around 2 pounds.  You could probably get it slightly under that if you replace the metal grommets it had with modern webbing straps like alot of the good tarps are going to.  

A USGI poncho weighs around 24 ounces, so the Zeltbahn wasn't that much heavier.  It WAS a bit more bulky though.  German webgear strapped it to the outside of their gear though.  

The zeltbahn would also have the benefit of being much more durable than a modern poncho.....

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt3.jpg

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt2.jpg

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt1.jpg

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt_torn.jpg

View Quote
Interesting concept.  I'd like to hear user-comments about it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I long ago gave up on any sort of "inflatable" air mattress due to item failures.  It's one thing to attempt repair of such an air mattress when in dry and reasonable temperatures, not omitting alcohol to clean the puncture area, and if you can find the puncture(s).  Quite another thing to repair such inflatable mattresses in extreme cold and without adequate surface prep in order to promote patch (do you have one?) adhesion.

It's highly unlikely one will be repairing one's inflatable air mattress in the driving rain, or the blowing snow.

I'm not an Expert such as @ROCK6 but for extreme conditions, I don't consider inflatable air mattresses a viable device.  YMMV.

What I do is include an (admittedly) bulky closed-cell foam sleeping pad, and augment it as lower temps require.

I think we are straying a bit beyond the original "Hot Weather/Jungle intent of the thread.  Understood LOTS of overlap between hot/cold and wet/dry environments.  Just my opinion, and I understand the fundamental concept of "Jungle"/Hot weather concept of the belt kit can be augmented/adapted to other climates.
View Quote

Yea, we are straying a bit.  Then again, this whole thread has strayed various directions and always kept true to the basic theme of 'WTF is belt kit and should I get one?'

Most of the guys I know that carry an inflatable mattress for more than a weekend trip, they also now carry one in addition to a foam mattress.  That combo is popular for winter.

As for 'overlap between hot/cold and wet/dry environments' - I live literally on the edge of the mountains.  I can walk a single mile from my house and go from 75F and nice to 90F and 100% humidity, via elevation change alone.

It's literally 15F warmer and more humid down off the mountain from me.  It's interesting trying to prepare for both environments.  The highest ever recorded temperature at the weather station that's in my valley, going back decades, is 94F.  The lowest is something like -30f.

Down off the mountain?  I've seen 102F and 95% humidity.  You can't operate the same way in both places, even though I can literally walk from one to the other in a day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Bergman's channel on Youtube is interesting.  He lives in Alaska and for well over a decade does some serious off-grid stuff, specifically with the idea of  'what if the Russians or Chinese went to war with the USA and Alaska is overrun?' and prepping for long-term E&E in the middle of Alaska.  He actually gets out and does stuff, even in the winter.  He is also somewhat famous because he actually killed a grizzly that was attacking him with an AK-74.  Seems the Russian surplus rounds penetrate pretty well, they punched all the way through to it's vitals.  Which it tough to do on a grizzly.

He has been messing around with WW2 and immediately post-WW2 east german gear recently.  He runs a few different Zeltbahns with his gear now.  

He also has a number of videos on using PLCE and other belt kit combos in the backwoods in Alaska.

You'd actually probably like his channel Raf.  He does alot of experimenting with oddball stuff, DIY alot of things.  Very very unique channel.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6i9JrJre_LGNu5C2aTOEfA
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wsix] [#14]
US WW II Army implemented the "Shelter-Half" system.  Each GI carried  1/2 Shelter-Half plus 1/2 half the poles/stakes necessary.  Basically, a cotton canvas open-bottom "Pup-Tent".  

View Quote

We still used these in OSUT in 1994. We used ponchos for everything after that except when in the Arctic.

I also have the Zeltbahn. I used it as a tent once. It's not waterproof and the canvas tents were never intended to be. A 45degree angle ensures the water runs down the outside or the inside wall. The trick is to not come in contact with the wall and have a ditch the Zeltbahn edge goes into. I currently use 3 out of the four pieces I have as a curtain. Work's fantastic.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Local defense force probably won't have alot of comms.  

And look at Ukraine - if you have a modern military opposing you, or even larger organized groups like cartels, you are going to have serious issues using comms at all.
View Quote

Going to disagree. Unless maybe if the modern military is the US military. I think cartels would also only be a serious issue near the border.  Even then their comms would have to base in Mexico.  I think the only thing that protects the cartels north of the border is the law and if a community was suddenly on their own it would be pretty easy to solve that problem, especially when the cartel would be cut off from outside aid also.  Say a town of 10k, how many actual cartel members are there?  Fifty % of the town population roughly male, average age is probably 50.  

Anyway, I would rather have comms, and a back up plane for no comms, than no comms.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt3.jpg

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt2.jpg

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt1.jpg

http://blog.atthefront.com/graphics/zelt_torn.jpg

No end user comment because I would never use it.  It sounds good till its pouring rain and your trying to turn your garment that’s keeping you dry into a shelter to keep you dry.  Aint going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wsix] [#17]

Bergman's channel on Youtube is interesting.  ]
View Quote

I used to argue with bergmann. He wouldn't explain his military credentials, even in private. I'm pretty certain he's a fucking poser. I left the UW gear forum over it. It's incredibly easy to fake "deep in the bush". Bear Gryll's is a good example.

As far as bears are concerned, you are more likely to find them close to town as opposed to way out in the bush.

Thinking you can indefinitely E&E is naive and silly, especially in frigid weather.

Hiroo Onoda you ain't.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cap6888] [#18]
When we strictly talk about belt kit, IMO, the only difference when it comes to hot/cold weather is maybe a compact warming layer. I would think everything else is the same.

I would proffer, your belt kits stays the same no matter the weather/environment (except for what I said above).  The remaining gear can change with pack size, assault pack/3 day pack, full ruck sack. Mission drives the gear. Warmer weather usually equates to less gear, thus a smaller pack. If you know it’s gonna be cold and wet, you know you gotta pack more. In this local defense force scenario, there isn’t going to be a whole lotta whizz bang gear or heavy weapons. The most high tech thing you may have is a fancier radio and a jungle antenna.

ETA: Or maybe even a drone. But neither of these take up a lot of space or weight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
As far as med gear, I’m gonna put in my two cents as a former paramedic. First and foremost, no one has said to just give up and leave them for dead, so I’m not implying that. And given the group’s situation, there is the tiniest of chances they have some follow on care. So some med gear is a necessity. Extremity wounds may be treated a little more easily. Especially if it just takes a chunk out of the fleshy part and doesn’t hit a bone. IF the group is wearing plates, that may help to mitigate torso injuries. I won’t argue that a GSW to the chest/abdomen is probably going to be fatal. But you have to at least dress it, if nothing else but for the psychological reasons. I don’t think a large medic/corpsman pack is necessary, but a small CLS type bag wouldn’t hurt if you have someone with some medical training.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#20]

I mean, I'm not saying don't take a BOK.  A small minimalist one is worth having.  The big, bulky IFAKs people have today will be a waste of space and weight.  Also since most people are idiots and won't have one anyways, they are going to have to make do with whatever they can scrounge up.  Personally I have a couple nice ones, because you never know in regular life, plus I want all the chance I can have to survive some idiocy.  I'm also a realist and realize that if something happened to me, I'm not getting modern medical care.  Heck, most people will be lucky to have something to disinfect a wound.  

Here's a much more important question you should be asking during SHTF scenarios than 'what's in my IFAK?'  It's  'WTF is Dakin's Solution?'
View Quote

I'm definitely not advocating to not have an Ifak or BOK and I agree, post SHTF a minimal one makes more sense. While things are relatively stable now, I carry everything I know how to use proficiently and in my truck I carry double in case someone needs help in an accident.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Forget WWII, we were still doing this shit in the late 90's.  And no one was exited about it then either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#22]
6.  I like some of the stuff Nixieworks is doing, I've been eying his stuff since it came out.  However, the idea that I'm stuck carrying everything in a big buttpack and that buttpack totally destroys my ability to carry any pack other than a tiny assault pack?  Naw.
View Quote

The point to his rig is to forego any other pack in most situations - it replaces the ruck. If you need to carry more gear (extreme cold weather for example) you could add a small assault pack.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:

Forget WWII, we were still doing this shit in the late 90's.  And no one was exited about it then either.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:

Had shelter halves in Army Basic Training in the summer of 2001.

It’s the item I use most often to tell people ‘mil-spec’ doesn’t mean it’s good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
As far as med gear, I’m gonna put in my two cents as a former paramedic. First and foremost, no one has said to just give up and leave them for dead, so I’m not implying that. And given the group’s situation, there is the tiniest of chances they have some follow on care. So some med gear is a necessity. Extremity wounds may be treated a little more easily. Especially if it just takes a chunk out of the fleshy part and doesn’t hit a bone. IF the group is wearing plates, that may help to mitigate torso injuries. I won’t argue that a GSW to the chest/abdomen is probably going to be fatal. But you have to at least dress it, if nothing else but for the psychological reasons. I don’t think a large medic/corpsman pack is necessary, but a small CLS type bag wouldn’t hurt if you have someone with some medical training.
View Quote

Yea, I wasn't saying NO IFAK in that situation.  Just that it wasn't that important in comparison to other stuff at that point, being it's usefulness under the circumstances.

Of course, things would be different if you had an actual doctor or experienced vet back at the local village who had plenty of medical supplies and hopefully antibiotics, and that understands the limitations of treatment under long-term austere situations  (*coughcough*  Dakin's Solution.  It will save more lives in the SHTF Red Dawn Zombie Apocalypse than IFAKs will)

If you have that, then sure, IFAKs suddenly become more important on the list.  Not that your 3 buddies are going to be able to break contact, sustain the broken contact, and hump you 20 miles back to basecamp before you bleed out.  But hey.  

On a funny side note - maybe a few tampons instead of gauze will actually prove useful in that situation.  Filling the masses IFAKs that is.  If nothing else, you will able to win hearts and minds of the female population a month or two into the apocalypse......  
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wsix:

I used to argue with bergmann. He wouldn't explain his military credentials, even in private. I'm pretty certain he's a fucking poser. I left the UW gear forum over it. It's incredibly easy to fake "deep in the bush". Bear Gryll's is a good example.

As far as bears are concerned, you are more likely to find them close to town as opposed to way out in the bush.

Thinking you can indefinitely E&E is naive and silly, especially in frigid weather.

Hiroo Onoda you ain't.
View Quote

Has Bergmann ever claimed to be in the military or specifically any HSLD positions?  I don't remember him ever claiming that.  He always came across as a civilian or limited experience military guy to me.  

It's obvious he doesn't intend to E&E forever - your life expectancy in that situation is probably months or at best a year or two, unless you are seriously experienced and with some bros.  Probably longer than most military age males in Alaska under Chinese rule though.  

I'm not saying that he's some super cool dude, just that he has some unique content, alot of it interesting.  And that he uses zeltbahns.  Which is why I remembered him.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
I am statistically unlikely to face even one enemy combatant, so a micro rig with 2 mags should suffice.

The hardest thing to do is be honest with ourselves.
View Quote

I'm somewhat honest - you just described my prefered plate carrier placard.  :)
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Horned_Toad:
Going to disagree. Unless maybe if the modern military is the US military.
View All Quotes
Going to disagree. Unless maybe if the modern military is the US military.

Tell that to both the Ukrainians and the Russians.  Both sides have really good comms interception and intel capabilities.  To the point where wired field telephones are getting heavy use by the Ukrainians because they can't key a mic near the front lines.  We should assume the Chinese have them too, along with a few other near-peer militaries.

Originally Posted By Horned_Toad:I think cartels would also only be a serious issue near the border.  Even then their comms would have to base in Mexico.

You will see serious issues along the border, and if society completely collapses - say the electric grid goes down long term - or if rule of law goes out the window long term (the other scenario where local community defense forces would pop up)  then you are going to see the cartel start taking over large swaths of the SW, probably with Mexico 'officially' annexing them  'for our protection'.  Or some similar stupidity.  

Originally Posted By Horned_Toad:I think the only thing that protects the cartels north of the border is the law and if a community was suddenly on their own it would be pretty easy to solve that problem, especially when the cartel would be cut off from outside aid also.  Say a town of 10k, how many actual cartel members are there?  Fifty % of the town population roughly male, average age is probably 50.  

Agreed for the most part - however the problem is two-fold.  1.  Getting the local population to organize enough to do the needful fast enough before the cartels make enough examples to quell rebellion.  Realize that most Americans aren't used to actually commit violence, while with these guys it's their #1 go-to thing.    And that brings us to number 2.  Say you guys DO whack the dozen or so local cartel guys.  Your town of 10,000 has a big BBQ to celebrate said victory, enemy heads on pikes.

Then 500-1000 cartel dudes, hard dudes, with training, come riding in armed to the teeth on technicals to make an example of your town to all the other towns.  They are organized and ready to slaughter a large swath of your town in order to make examples.  They only need to do this once or twice to quell large-scale resistance once word gets out.  The cartel have wide-spread organization and resources with an entire nation and massive funding.  You guys are starting from scratch.  They can pull together cartel dudes for the example making from hundreds of miles away.  You can pull in willing dudes from your local town.  

It would be really really different if we actually had an organized militia system here in the USA like our founding fathers intended.  Or even a civil defense network that could organize.  The civilian population in the USA is soooooo far behind the ball when it comes to that  (outside of the hard-left - they have organization and funding and have had it for more than 50 years)  This is one of the most important parts of anything along the lines of what is being discussed, and there is none of it outside of extreme local organization.  

I'm not trying to be a downer, I absolutely get what you are saying and kinda agree.  

Originally Posted By Horned_Toad:Anyway, I would rather have comms, and a back up plane for no comms, than no comms.  

Absolutely.  110% agree.  I have my baofang and a couple to hand out to the losers, lol.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SCR556:

The point to his rig is to forego any other pack in most situations - it replaces the ruck. If you need to carry more gear (extreme cold weather for example) you could add a small assault pack.
View Quote

If you are having to carry winter or even shoulder season cold weather gear, you will need a full ruck, at least a patrol sized one, not an assault pack.  That's the problem with the Nixieworks bag.  It's a limited use niche setup.  It might be fine if you are in the SW desert or even Florida and such.  It would be legit in the actual jungle.  But not outside of that.

And I'm not dissing it.  I actually like what he did.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]

No end user comment because I would never use it.  It sounds good till its pouring rain and your trying to turn your garment that’s keeping you dry into a shelter to keep you dry.  Aint going to happen.
View Quote

Same problem with ponchos.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I also have the Zeltbahn. I used it as a tent once. It's not waterproof and the canvas tents were never intended to be. A 45degree angle ensures the water runs down the outside or the inside wall. The trick is to not come in contact with the wall and have a ditch the Zeltbahn edge goes into. I currently use 3 out of the four pieces I have as a curtain. Work's fantastic.
View Quote

Yea, I wasn't saying the Zeltbahn was worth messing with in this aspect, other than maybe in the winter.

On a side note, most of the repro zeltbahns use tent canvas.  Only a couple of them use something akin to ventile, which works way better than tent canvas.  It still isn't 100% waterproof.  However, the original German zeltbahns, at least until late war, were coated in a special chemical coating akin to waxing the fabric, but much more permanent.  I guess it's kinda like oil-cloth meets waxed canvas, but with thin bed-sheet thick fabric that is mostly water-resistant even without the coating.

I've got a swath of the fabric used in the original zeltbahns here in front of me.  It doesn't have the coating on it though.  It's as thin as my sheets on my bed, Thinner than the packcloth on an ALICE pack for an example.  But you can't blow through it, it's windproof.  And that's before they  'wax' it.  The fabric they used in the German zeltbahns was significantly more user-friendly to the soldiers than our shelter halves.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#31]

If you are having to carry winter or even shoulder season cold weather gear, you will need a full ruck, at least a patrol sized one, not an assault pack.  That's the problem with the Nixieworks bag.  It's a limited use niche setup.  It might be fine if you are in the SW desert or even Florida and such.  It would be legit in the actual jungle.  But not outside of that.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SCR556:

Agreed on all points.

When it's getting below ~+15*, you had better have enough pack space and a belt kit that will work with that larger pack. Forget your Ranger Roll. Activity levels are going vary, as will the temperature throughout the day. Are you in full sun or moving through dense forest? Calm or windy? Layers are going to constantly be swapped around and you need somewhere to put what's not in current use. If you're sleeping on the ground, better have two mats and a decent bag or quilt. All that bulk needs to go somewhere when not in use. If you've coordinated to split the load with a team mate, great, but that's only going to go so far.

I wish I had the spare money and space to grab one of those Nixie rigs to mess around with.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Welp.  So I didn't see THIS coming.

Arktis is making a run of modernized Russian SMERSH belt kit for Kommandostore.

There goes my idea to obtain a set of SMERSH and make knockoffs of it now that it is unobtainium.  Oh well.  The AK guys are going to love this.  

https://kommandostore.com/products/smersh?_pos=1&_sid=fcc15c82c&_ss=r

View Quote

That was unexpected to say the least. Deliveries start september 2024. That is definitely for fashion/old school fad that is going around these days, just like the HEAT vest and the other things he sells. If i had to i would definitely buy a surplus one, not sure about the new chinese ones.
Spoiler: i saw many ones, never owned one. Maybe someday when i will find a cheap one.....   a friend was selling one for 80$ a few months ago, seeing the prices today i should have bought it .

Never understood the hype around it, it is iconic for sure, but to me it is just an alice kit with a hippo type belt pad and a h harness. didn't the guys know about the wonders of a wide belt pad?

A person on reddit writes about that arktis smersh "i think it def beats out the crossfire DZ rig in terms of features, i'm holding off though until other people check it out."

It. Beats. The. DZ. Rig. In. Terms. Of. Features.    Let that sink in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalgear/comments/197s8rs/kommandostore_x_arktis_smershak_talk_me_out_of/
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#33]

A person on reddit writes about that arktis smersh "i think it def beats out the crossfire DZ rig in terms of features, i'm holding off though until other people check it out."

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Well, to keep it related to the conversation I did spend some cold nights in some Ecuadorian jungle mountains

This is a funny comment because my I literally just repaired my son's Klymit Insulated Static V sleeping pad just a few weeks ago. He mobilized on the second of January and dumped some of this gear at the house that weekend prior. He said his sleeping pad went flat after a few hours and couldn't find any holes...but he froze his ass off.

I cleaned it up and used the soap to find any leaking bubbles; I found two small pin pricks and repaired them. While that could be done in the field, it wouldn't be easy or ideal.  

9 times out of 10 I would recommend a CCF pad; they're just more durable and reliable and leave one less thing to worry about when you're tired and just want to grab a couple hours of sleep. I would also recommend them for a jungle environment. If you have to sleep on the ground, you can tuck your mosquito netting under the pad which just helps seal off your sleeping environment a little better. Additionally, CCF pads are non-permeable, so if the ground is wet, it will also help keep you dry.

I've used some quality inflatible pads and those with a higher R-Value for colder temps. I've only had one failure on an older Therm-a-Rest that had a slow leak on one trip...which is when I decided to always just have some type of CCF, even a seat-pad. I still use them in colder temps where it's more of a recreational environment and even then, I still put a CCF pad under them.

My main staple, year-round, any environment is about six-sections of a folding Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite pad. I can fold up and put it in my pack or strap it under my pack or buttpack. Yeah, still bulky, but a worthy investment.

For a real compact combination, I just use a CCF seat pad and a Klymit Recon inflatable. It's just enough to give me a few hours of sleep in less ideal conditions and they take up little space. At worst, I can just sit on the pad wrapped in a space blanket or poncho with a tealight candle between my legs keeping me warm (aka Palmer Furnace). It works, it's not fun, but you won't die in freezing temps.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#35]

That was unexpected to say the least. Deliveries start september 2024. That is definitely for fashion/old school fad that is going around these days, just like the HEAT vest and the other things he sells. If i had to i would definitely buy a surplus one, not sure about the new chinese ones.
Spoiler: i saw many ones, never owned one. Maybe someday when i will find a cheap one.....   a friend was selling one for 80$ a few months ago, seeing the prices today i should have bought it .

Never understood the hype around it, it is iconic for sure, but to me it is just an alice kit with a hippo type belt pad and a h harness. didn't the guys know about the wonders of a wide belt pad?

https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalgear/comments/197s8rs/kommandostore_x_arktis_smershak_talk_me_out_of/
View Quote

By 'features' he no doubt meant 'pockets'. I agree with you that the prospective owner is more fashion than field oriented but, hey, you spends yer money, you takes yer chances.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Snip

2.  Each person should have a poncho, minimum.  Even if no poncho liner.  It doubles as rain gear, shelter, and extra sleeping layer.  Everyone NEEDS a rain gear layer.

If you get a modern poncho, made of modern materials, and a modern poncho liner - well, mine is 25 years old, but it's one of the special run of poncho liners Brigade Quartermaster made back in the day with thinsulate insulation instead of poly batting.  Warmer, lighter, and packs significantly smaller.  I can EASILY fit both the poncho and poncho liner in my buttpack with about half the pack's space left.  I should pull them out, but I'm pretty sure I can fit both into a single surplus PLCE utility pouch.  I know I can fit one of the two into the pouch by itself.
View Quote
Is this offering from Snugpak similar to what you're talking about?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:45:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#37]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Had shelter halves in Army Basic Training in the summer of 2001.

It’s the item I use most often to tell people ‘mil-spec’ doesn’t mean it’s good.
View Quote
Still had them in the summer of '02 as well.  One of the most miserable nights of my life was trying to sleep in the SC summer heat/humidity in one of those stupid things.  It didn't breath, the drills didn't let us open both ends and we just melted.  Then they started fucking w/ us trying to take our weapons/sensitive equipment.

Then we got CS'd during stand-to.  The fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#38]
About the SMERSH rig.  OK, if you run an AK, and just have to have a buttpack, there you go, comrade.  However.  I wouldn't recommend wearing all black, and running around on the skyline.  But I get it, and who their target audience is, so...chto by ni.    

In terms of treating gunshot or other wounds.  I've heard this mantra about no medical support, so just "lay down and die" before.  While there is some truth to it, this is a very local thing.  I would treat a gunshot wound, the same way I would treat any other wound.  So maybe it would make more sense to call it a trauma kit, and leave it that.  If you do have a medic, then why should he not carry a medic kit.  Again, more about backwoods medicine, not necessarily gunshot wounds.  Also, and this depends totally on the local sit, but if you have at least a vet, you might have a fighting chance.  So, at what percentage do you want to say, it's worth taking a chance and treating it.  Yes, you are much more likely to die, but does that mean you don't even try?  

In terms of milita, self-defense, etc.  Some of you paint a very dark picture.  And again, there is some truth to that POV.  But for fucks sake, if you think your chances of survival are that slim, go to Vegas, get laid, and forget about it.  And again, this is going to totally depend on your local situation.  There are many people who actually know what they are doing, and there are many Walter Mitty's.  So that sorta depends.  Many actual threats out there, that may run over you before you're ready.  But I would also say that's a matter of proximity to the problem and is up to you to avoid those areas.  

We are way off-topic here (sorry Raf), but in a nutshell, after some sort of collapse, you are going to see an initial period where folks are hunkered down.  This might also be a time of equipping and training.  Then the scavengers are going to show up.  So even though it might be a very sharp period of OJT, folks will finally be getting their heads out of their asses.  There will be organizations that rise up and can fight the cartels.  Don't know the outcome but I do know this; I will go down fighting before I live in chains.  YMMV.

In terms of cold weather.  It sucks.  

In terms of shelter.  The Brit basha is king.  

In terms of comms, cans, and NVD's.  Some people will have them and know how to use them.  Others won't.

This is all a personal choice.  Whether you decide to stand up and fight at some point, or not.  Whether you are getting yourself ready in whatever way, or not.  Whether you want belt kit, or keep your PC and gunbelt.  

Now on the face of it, running around in the Alaskan back country might sound crazy, but, I'd rather die out there than in a concentration camp.  Whether or not the guy has .mil experience.  That all depends.  It's helpful, but in some cases not entirely necessary.  Sometimes you guys key in on the wrong things.  Lots of soldiers are worthless POS.  This guy is out there getting his Jerimiah Johnson on.  

Sometimes it's not so much about whether you're going to survive or not.  Sometimes it's choosing how you want to die.

Oh, and I went for a little yomp in a Diz rig and DG3/CF3 yesterday.  About 35 lbs all up.  Was cold as fuck but the load rode well.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#39]
About the SMERSH rig.  OK, if you run an AK, and just have to have a buttpack, there you go, comrade.  However.  I wouldn't recommend wearing all black, and running around on the skyline.  But I get it, and who their target audience is, so...chto by ni.    

In terms of treating gunshot or other wounds.  I've heard this mantra about no medical support, so just "lay down and die" before.  While there is some truth to it, this is a very local thing.  I would treat a gunshot wound, the same way I would treat any other wound.  So maybe it would make more sense to call it a trauma kit, and leave it that.  If you do have a medic, then why should he not carry a medic kit.  Again, more about backwoods medicine, not necessarily gunshot wounds.  Also, and this depends totally on the local sit, but if you have at least a vet, you might have a fighting chance.  So, at what percentage do you want to say, it's worth taking a chance and treating it.  Yes, you are much more likely to die, but does that mean you don't even try?  

In terms of milita, self-defense, etc.  Some of you paint a very dark picture.  And again, there is some truth to that POV.  But for fucks sake, if you think your chances of survival are that slim, go to Vegas, get laid, and forget about it.  And again, this is going to totally depend on your local situation.  There are many people who actually know what they are doing, and there are many Walter Mitty's.  So that sorta depends.  Many actual threats out there, that may run over you before you're ready.  But I would also say that's a matter of proximity to the problem and is up to you to avoid those areas.  

We are way off-topic here (sorry Raf), but in a nutshell, after some sort of collapse, you are going to see an initial period where folks are hunkered down.  This might also be a time of equipping and training.  Then the scavengers are going to show up.  So even though it might be a very sharp period of OJT, folks will finally be getting their heads out of their asses.  There will be organizations that rise up and can fight the cartels.  Don't know the outcome but I do know this; I will go down fighting before I live in chains.  YMMV.

In terms of comms, cans, and NVD's.  Some people will have them and know how to use them.  Others won't.

This is all a personal choice.  Whether you decide to stand up and fight at some point, or not.  Whether you are getting yourself ready in whatever way, or not.  Whether you want belt kit, or keep your PC and gunbelt.  

Now on the face of it, running around in the Alaskan back country might sound crazy, but, I'd rather die out there than in a concentration camp.  Whether or not the guy has .mil experience.  That all depends.  It's helpful, but in some cases not entirely necessary.  Sometimes you guys key in on the wrong things.  Lots of soldiers are worthless POS.  This guy is out there getting his Jerimiah Johnson on.  

Sometimes it's not so much about whether you're going to survive or not.  Sometimes it's choosing how you want to die.

Oh, and I went for a little yomp in a Diz rig and DG3/CF3 yesterday.  About 35 lbs all up.  Was cold as fuck but the load rode well.  
View Quote

This whole post is simply gold; well done @Diz, spot on with everything and worth the time to read.

It's so easy to "what if" yourself into paralysis, and I will state for the record that the vast majority of "prepared preppers" during some major crises are more likely to succumb to dysentery, infection from a small cut, or exposure to the elements than death by bullet. I don't want to downplay the importance of trauma wound care, but basic field sanitation and personal preventative maintenance are likely just as, or more important.

Nobody knows the future, nobody is guaranteed survival, the best you can do is keep your skills sharpened to maximize the odds in your favor. Train hard, have some kit you're comfortable with, enjoy life, drink a beer, and pray the only adversity you face is the adversity you integrate into your training and that you die an old man in a comfortable bed with your family around you and your grandkids following in your footsteps.  

Jungle kit discussion can now resume

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Has Bergmann ever claimed to be in the military or specifically any HSLD positions?  I don't remember him ever claiming that.  He always came across as a civilian or limited experience military guy to me.  

It's obvious he doesn't intend to E&E forever - your life expectancy in that situation is probably months or at best a year or two, unless you are seriously experienced and with some bros.  Probably longer than most military age males in Alaska under Chinese rule though.  

I'm not saying that he's some super cool dude, just that he has some unique content, alot of it interesting.  And that he uses zeltbahns.  Which is why I remembered him.
View All Quotes

Hiroo Onoda you ain't.

I've seen a lot of his content over the years and never got the ex military vibe from him. Just a regular guy who likes to creep around and mess with old surp gear. Prepared Pathfinder visited him and they ran around in the woods for a couple of days. Never heard about the grizzley, although you would think that would happen as much as he hikes around.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

Is this offering from Snugpak similar to what you're talking about?
View Quote

Nope.  The one I have is literally a USGI poncho liner - same size and shape, tie off cords, etc. - but made with slightly better and lighter fabric and with thinsulate insulation instead of the generic poly batting the poncho liners use.  It's also double sided - woodland on one side, desert on the other.

It's the same thing as a USGI poncho, but it packs down about 30% smaller and is slightly warmer.  No one else has made one since they stopped selling them.

There are other really good options out there though.  Hill People Gear have 2 different versions with the head hole and hood.  Helikon and that Snugpack one you posted too.  Kifaru has a couple versions of their woobie.  I have a HPG and a Kifaru.  The HPG is a key part of my general setup.  I like that you can wear it as a poncho liner, sleeping bag, jacket, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Well, to keep it related to the conversation I did spend some cold nights in some Ecuadorian jungle mountains

This is a funny comment because my I literally just repaired my son's Klymit Insulated Static V sleeping pad just a few weeks ago. He mobilized on the second of January and dumped some of this gear at the house that weekend prior. He said his sleeping pad went flat after a few hours and couldn't find any holes...but he froze his ass off.

I cleaned it up and used the soap to find any leaking bubbles; I found two small pin pricks and repaired them. While that could be done in the field, it wouldn't be easy or ideal.  

9 times out of 10 I would recommend a CCF pad; they're just more durable and reliable and leave one less thing to worry about when you're tired and just want to grab a couple hours of sleep. I would also recommend them for a jungle environment. If you have to sleep on the ground, you can tuck your mosquito netting under the pad which just helps seal off your sleeping environment a little better. Additionally, CCF pads are non-permeable, so if the ground is wet, it will also help keep you dry.

I've used some quality inflatible pads and those with a higher R-Value for colder temps. I've only had one failure on an older Therm-a-Rest that had a slow leak on one trip...which is when I decided to always just have some type of CCF, even a seat-pad. I still use them in colder temps where it's more of a recreational environment and even then, I still put a CCF pad under them.

My main staple, year-round, any environment is about six-sections of a folding Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite pad. I can fold up and put it in my pack or strap it under my pack or buttpack. Yeah, still bulky, but a worthy investment.

For a real compact combination, I just use a CCF seat pad and a Klymit Recon inflatable. It's just enough to give me a few hours of sleep in less ideal conditions and they take up little space. At worst, I can just sit on the pad wrapped in a space blanket or poncho with a tealight candle between my legs keeping me warm (aka Palmer Furnace). It works, it's not fun, but you won't die in freezing temps.

ROCK6
View Quote

Another option for minimalist stuff is some of those car windshield shades made of the metallic mylar stuff with bubbles on it, some of them are small and thin and fold up really small.  I've got one that is just the right size for my torso.  It's not as good as one of the foam mattresses, but it really cuts down on the heat loss to the ground.  Far better than nothing, packs tiny and weighs nothing.

Those Z-fold mattresses are a good choice too, just like you said.  That's my go-to backpacking mattress.  Mine is well over 15 years old and still going.

I've seen german surplus ones that fold up flat.  Never used one, I keep telling myself to pick one up to try.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

By 'features' he no doubt meant 'pockets'. I agree with you that the prospective owner is more fashion than field oriented but, hey, you spends yer money, you takes yer chances.
View Quote

To be fair, the SMERSH is really good if you want a go-to rig for running AK magazines.  Sure it doesn't have the wide belt, but it has most of the rest of the stuff.  And arktis seems to have fixed the biggest drawbacks to the Russian SMERSH - poor fabric quality and the metal hardware rusted almost immediately.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

100% agree.  While I might be really hardcore devils advocate about some of this, I'm not all DOOOOM!  -  it's stuff to take into consideration.  And if you are having those issues, everyone else is also having those issues.  If you understand the limitations of the situation you are in, then you can figure out the best way to deal with limitations and exploit the bad guy's limitations.  Don't got comms or comms are limited to a couple baofangs or even those cheapo walkie talkies?  Figure out how to deal with it.  I just keep hearing from everyone that when the Chinese paratroopers start dropping, that everyone is going to show up all kitted out.  That your local patrol is going to have night vision and such.  Odds are they won't.  Or if they do, it will be YOUR single set.  Odds are most of the guys who show up won't have hardly and gear, especially support equipment.  And yes, this isn't everyone - there are local groups around here that are decades old and into the 3rd generation raised in it, that could easily field a fully equipped platoon or two, complete with (legally owned) base of fire weapons.  And they live in the middle of nowhere.  Their patrol equipment is going to be way different than your average one.

I've got the cool guy stuff.  I carry a full IFAK and have a few spares - and I've got an oldschool nurse with 40 years experience and a nurse practitioner's education next door.  And a retired vet down the road.  However, how many people do?  

Not everyone who points out limitations says roll over and lick the boot or die.  What I'm hinting at is understanding the limitations and that you are probably going to be responsible for equipping some of these guys, especially the younger guys.  (and this is where those FLC sets we had mentioned before shine)  And, most importantly, you need to be getting to know your local neighbors and forming strong relationships with them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Jungle kit discussion can now resume

View Quote

So I'm working on a mod for the USGI molle buttpacks, the long skinny ones, to make them work well as a British style poncho roll.  It should be super simple to do at home.  When I get it done, I'll post up how to do it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TimeIsMoney:
I've seen a lot of his content over the years and never got the ex military vibe from him. Just a regular guy who likes to creep around and mess with old surp gear. Prepared Pathfinder visited him and they ran around in the woods for a couple of days. Never heard about the grizzley, although you would think that would happen as much as he hikes around.
View Quote

Yea, that's been my vibe too.  Even if he doesn't get WAY out there, he does spend alot of time in the woods, even in nasty weather.  Some of the places he's been and you can geo-locate them, and they aren't easy to get to.

I bet he spends more time in the woods than most of us do.......

I just like that he messes with oddball gear and is always trying new stuff and new ideas.  Lots of DIY and modding.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Yea, that's been my vibe too.  Even if he doesn't get WAY out there, he does spend alot of time in the woods, even in nasty weather.  Some of the places he's been and you can geo-locate them, and they aren't easy to get to.

I just like that he messes with oddball gear and is always trying new stuff and new ideas.  Lots of DIY and modding.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TimeIsMoney:

I think Ivarr's channel is probably my favorite on Youtube. I've never seen mention of his prior service and it doesn't make a shit to me one way or the other, he gets out and does the things I wish I could get out and do. Having access to all of that wilderness without having state police called on you by some Karens is a dream of mine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Has Bergmann ever claimed to be in the military or specifically any HSLD positions? .
View Quote

Yes, he was wearing BDU's with Army and name tapes and a scout tab. When I asked about it he pretty much said "it's private". I said that if it was private, why am I looking at it on the internet?

He may have scrubbed his questionable military affiliation from his online photographs. There's no way I was the only one to ask him about it.

As you probably know, the rule among veterans is that if you are displaying it, you need to be able to explain it. Anyone who refuses to is assumed a poser.

Sorry for derailing the topic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok guys I went to Bragg today I talked to an 18-year SF vet, who has been my beta tester for the same amount of time.  We drilled down into this belt kit concept, concerning what exactly is your load out, and how do you intend to carry it.  Their current SOP is that no ruck may be heavier than 60 lbs.  They still have to carry all that mission essential kit, and figure out how to work in all the rest of their personal kit. Belt kits are also being explored as an alternative to PC and pistol belt load outs.  

So, what do we need to carry, and how do we intend on doing it.  Their answer is to explore the lightfighter concept, as a cross between military and bushcraft T,T,P's.  Of course if you don't have to carry mortar rounds, linked ammo, and batts, you might have a bit more wiggle room.  So at this point I'm going to break off from our military brethren and concentrate on a local self-defense force.  My thinking here is that we want to keep our rucks under 30 lbs, and the belt kit under 20, for a full load out of 50 lbs maximum.  So let's say we have a reconnaissance patrol that is pushing out our perimeter, to at least the next village or town.  We are planning on at least a 96 hour mission.
So what exactly do we carry.  Primary weapon and how many mags.  Secondary weapons(?) and how many mags.  Day/night optics.  Comms.  Medical.  Food and water.  Shelter and sleep systems.  Cleaning and tool kits.  Spare batts.  Spare/additional clothes.  

Ok, working from a belt kit, what are we going to carry there, then where else does everything need to go.  A small chest rig.  An assault pack.  Or some other-sized pack.  

When you look at like this, you determine what goes on the belt line, and where does the rest of the shit go.  So if you are thinking in terms of 3 or 4 sustainments, what exactly do you need in those sustainments; or even are they really sustainments.  Do things like blow out kits, and optics take precedence?   As far as ammo pouches.  How many rounds/mags per man, in how many ammo pouches.

That's the kicker right there.  When we talk about what we carried, and what the Brits carried (and even what Joe carried) we are talking about one point in time, and what was required, and when were they getting re-supplied.  So perhaps we need to dis-connect from what I carried, or Tom carried, or anybody else, and focus in on what we may need to carry.  I know that can potentially cause some butt-hurt, but needs to be addressed.   What exactly is your mission, and what do you need to carry it out.  

So if you do sort of a hybrid between Brit, and US (with a sprinkle of Italian) kit; what would it look like.  My buddy's suggestion, who is also a big fan of Brit kit (with lots of JJ's in his storage shed), is to examine what we really need to carry on the belt line, and what can go in your ruck.   And the key difference here, he pointed out, is that we're not being forced to drop rucks at any point, and make the final assault, or whatever; we are free to keep our rucks as long as we bloody well want to.  Especially if we have minimized snivel gear, and have rucks light enough to keep on us; not the big bloody Bergens that would probably have to be jettisoned.  

With this in mind, what goes on the beltline, and what goes in the ruck.  This is where the hybrid approach begins.  While using a Brit pattern, we are leaning into more of a US approach, in that mostly fighting kit is going on the beltline, and sustainment in the ruck.  Oh shit!  Yes, this is a departure from what many have done in the past, or, a return to what many others have done in the past.  He went on to suggest that in today's world you simply can't carry everything you need on the belt line anymore because we are now talking about comms, day/night optics, and even medical kits that were not in common use back when belt kits were last worn.  Yes, I know the Brits have attempted to cram it all in, but maybe there is another approach.  

If we go to ammo, smoke or frags (as available), medical kit, and water, how many pouches do we really need?  

Then, what is in the ruck.  Now we can add back in the sustainment items.  Brew kit, other rations, additional water.  Cook stove and heat tabs.  Comms.  Day/night optics.  Shelter?  Sleep system?  Clothing?  On these last 3, one suggestion that he had was to split up these items amongst a 4-man team.  Where you might be sleeping in two shifts, therefore only need one tent or basha, two ranger tacos, two sleep shirts, etc.  That way the load/bulk could be reduced considerably.  Maybe even get away with assault packs.  Yes it might suck a little.  But would be doable.  Going light and freezing at night.  Truly.  

So just to say, we've seen many comments on the belt kit, and what it needs to contain; here is one more opinion for your consideration.
View Quote

Diz-Please do not do the dumb four sustainment pouches. The canteens have to sit under the frame of the pack to support it correctly and four pouches is too wide.

My jj belt has a Four row molle pouch flanked by two 3 row molle pouches for canteens. I played with every combo of pouches known to man and that is what worked.  It Looks almost exactly what you came up with on the l/xl belt.

Butt packs push the canteens too far apart and do not properly support a rucksack. Even on their own they are far too floppy to support a rucksack.

The belt kit cannot be a standalone unit anymore- people carry too much shit they didn't carry 20 years ago.  To me it's not a daypack replacement - you have to put mags somewhere - on a plate carrier / on a belt or in a chest rig. Belt kit does that plus allows you enough sustainment to carry a ration and a IFAK without having it all festooned on a plate carrier.

I think you should have a poncho and a windshirt on the belt kit for rain gear and emergency shelter and a basha in your ruck for really sleeping under. Unless you're a Smurf - sleeping under a poncho length anything sucks.  Again most of the belt kit contents are - if I had to dump ruck - I could survive on it - I can - but that I would much rather use the stuff in my ruck.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ATTom:

Diz-Please do not do the dumb four sustainment pouches. The canteens have to sit under the frame of the pack to support it correctly and four pouches is too wide.

My jj belt has a Four row molle pouch flanked by two 3 row molle pouches for canteens. I played with every combo of pouches known to man and that is what worked.  It Looks almost exactly what you came up with on the l/xl belt.

Butt packs push the canteens too far apart and do not properly support a rucksack. Even on their own they are far too floppy to support a rucksack.

The belt kit cannot be a standalone unit anymore- people carry too much shit they didn't carry 20 years ago.  To me it's not a daypack replacement - you have to put mags somewhere - on a plate carrier / on a belt or in a chest rig. Belt kit does that plus allows you enough sustainment to carry a ration and a IFAK without having it all festooned on a plate carrier.

I think you should have a poncho and a windshirt on the belt kit for rain gear and emergency shelter and a basha in your ruck for really sleeping under. Unless you're a Smurf - sleeping under a poncho length anything sucks.  Again most of the belt kit contents are - if I had to dump ruck - I could survive on it - I can - but that I would much rather use the stuff in my ruck.

View Quote

I have the Jay Jay's Chameleon belt kit with 4 utilities in back, molle sides and my DG16 frame rests perfectly on my canteen lids. It may depend on what water bottles/ ruck frame you use but Full sized Nalgenes or Brit Osprey canteens support the frame fully. USGI canteens are a bit too small on the lids in my experience.
Page / 79
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 45 of 79)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top