Page / 154
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R3dundantC:
New range belt:

Stormrider Gear Overlord & Underlord
http://www.stormridergear.com/collections/stormrider-system

All I can say is "Wow", Jeni knows how to make a belt. I plan on ordering another in black to replace my aging duty belt for work. The under and overbelt are velcro'd so the system is keeperless so I don't have to keep track of my beltkeepers anymore. So far the only downside to the belt is that it is so well built and stitched that the webbing is so tight that it is hard to get the clips through it. There is no play at all. I had to bend the belt inward and use a screwdriver to get enough clearance to thread the malice clips through. The big obnoxious logo is a velcro backed PVC patch, so you can take it off. The only other downside is price - It's expensive but IMO the quality and craftsmanship were worth the price and I do not regret spending the money.

FNS-9 holster is Bladetech and the S&W Model 14 holster is a OHS by G-Code, both are attached to the belt by G-Code's RTI rig which is pretty bitch'n. I got tired of taking apart my belts when swapping guns and this RTI system seems to be the way to go. I plan on converting my duty belt and Safariland 6395, which is my preferred holster, over to the RTI so I can use the holster when I shoot. I plan on buying 3 more TRI wheels and taco adapters so I can switch the belt from all pistol mags to rifle mags.

The downside to this setup is that the RTI wheel is made for 3 rows of web, and the belt only has two. This allowed for the unit to move up when drawing. Easily enough remedied with some zip ties. If i feel like getting crafty later I made make a more (or should I say "less") sightly kydex shim to take up the space where the 3rd row of webbing would be on the adapter

https://puu.sh/hoGGT/262617de46.jpg
View Quote

Check out their slightly dropped belt wheel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:
Check out their slightly dropped belt wheel.
View Quote

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/Accessories/GCA30.html
That's the one I'll be getting for the duty belt for sure. I might just get a second for use on my range belt. Will still have to shim up the other wheels for the mags, though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been shooting with the guys at Northern Red and here are their thoughts on SERPA holsters:

It is the most successfully marketed and distributed holster to date. No matter what gun store you go in to, there are always SERPA's for sale and the military has bought more than their fair share as well to be used as standard issue for HQ elements, machine-gunners, mortarmen, etc. When they first started coming out, guys at the tip of the spear tested them out. One of them actually ND'd on his draw stroke....imagine that level of operator ND'ing? So they brought in a Neurologist to study how fast the brain can give commands while under stress. The Neurologist determined that since the SERPA's button release is exactly over the trigger of the handgun and to disengage it you must push your finger into it, it is impossible for the brain to tell your finger to push in and then immediately stop from putting pressure on the trigger as the handgun is released from the holster. The brain cannot give out those commands quick enough while under the stress of being shot at or pushing yourself for a quicker drawstroke and shots on target. Obviously if I take 4 seconds to draw my handgun, present it to the target, and engage I will be moving slow and safe enough to probably not have a problem with accidently engaging the trigger. However, pushing yourself to the operator standard of a draw and 1 round on target in under 1.5 seconds while in full kit you are significantly more likely to ND your handgun. Not only did they see ND's among very experienced operators, but they have now also seen students ND with the SERPA holster at a few of their classes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
my message above is in response to this:

Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Does anyone run a Blackhawk SERPA on their war belt? I did a class last year with just a pistol belt as my "1st line" and used a SERPA with the paddle attachment and it worked, but now I'm going on a "trip" this year and would like a proper war belt. Been looking at the ATS and a MOLLE attachment for the SERPA. Just wanted to make sure it would work before I spend the money. All I'll really be carrying on the belt is my M9, two pistol mags, one or two rifle mags, and a dump pouch. Might add some other stuff but it depends. Thanks in advance!
View Quote

If you haven't heard of Northern Red, check them out here: Northern Red
I have been to many shooting courses, but they offer the most intense and relevant instruction out there because of their recent operational experience.

sorry for multiple posts, not allowed to write more than 2000 characters per post

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By R3dundantC:
New range belt:

Stormrider Gear Overlord & Underlord
http://www.stormridergear.com/collections/stormrider-system

All I can say is "Wow", Jeni knows how to make a belt. I plan on ordering another in black to replace my aging duty belt for work. The under and overbelt are velcro'd so the system is keeperless so I don't have to keep track of my beltkeepers anymore. So far the only downside to the belt is that it is so well built and stitched that the webbing is so tight that it is hard to get the clips through it. There is no play at all. I had to bend the belt inward and use a screwdriver to get enough clearance to thread the malice clips through. The big obnoxious logo is a velcro backed PVC patch, so you can take it off. The only other downside is price - It's expensive but IMO the quality and craftsmanship were worth the price and I do not regret spending the money.

FNS-9 holster is Bladetech and the S&W Model 14 holster is a OHS by G-Code, both are attached to the belt by G-Code's RTI rig which is pretty bitch'n. I got tired of taking apart my belts when swapping guns and this RTI system seems to be the way to go. I plan on converting my duty belt and Safariland 6395, which is my preferred holster, over to the RTI so I can use the holster when I shoot. I plan on buying 3 more TRI wheels and taco adapters so I can switch the belt from all pistol mags to rifle mags.

The downside to this setup is that the RTI wheel is made for 3 rows of web, and the belt only has two. This allowed for the unit to move up when drawing. Easily enough remedied with some zip ties. If i feel like getting crafty later I made make a more (or should I say "less") sightly kydex shim to take up the space where the 3rd row of webbing would be on the adapter

https://puu.sh/hoGGT/262617de46.jpg
View Quote

I really wish G-Code would make their OSH RTI holsters for a 4" S&W L-Frame (586/686).
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
changed it up a bit since this pic
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By j_schu2:

I have been to many shooting courses, but they offer the most intense and relevant instruction out there because of their recent operational experience.

sorry for multiple posts, not allowed to write more than 2000 characters per post

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Does anyone run a Blackhawk SERPA on their war belt? I did a class last year with just a pistol belt as my "1st line" and used a SERPA with the paddle attachment and it worked, but now I'm going on a "trip" this year and would like a proper war belt. Been looking at the ATS and a MOLLE attachment for the SERPA. Just wanted to make sure it would work before I spend the money. All I'll really be carrying on the belt is my M9, two pistol mags, one or two rifle mags, and a dump pouch. Might add some other stuff but it depends. Thanks in advance!

I read that the other day and...I just don't see it. When I draw my pistol from my SERPA at any speed, my trigger finger lands on the top of the frame or the line between the slide and frame. It is never even close to the trigger or trigger guard. Maybe that would change under stress, but I just don't see how.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By endofdays:
changed it up a bit since this pichttps://i.imgur.com/FUzhxXP.jpg
View Quote

This looks to be a budget rig- and there's nothing wrong with that- but you may want to consider separate pistol and rifle mag pouches to distribute the weight better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Finalizing my belt and I have 2 questions for you guys, I need some opinions. I have 2 single pistol tacos, 1 double decker taco, and 1 double rifle taco to work with: how would you organize them? Im right handed, so I have them on the Left from buckle outward as pistol, double decker, then double rifle. Does this seem reasonable? I almost wish I had gone with 2 double deckers instead, but this is what I have to work with in the meantime. Belt is used for rifle/pistol classes and range work.

Second question, I see that Volund isn't currently taking orders while they work through some things, can anybody suggest a belt like their Atlas that is of the same quality? Id like one in that style, but not sure how long they will be down.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:54:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#10]

I read that the other day and...I just don't see it. When I draw my pistol from my SERPA at any speed, my trigger finger lands on the top of the frame or the line between the slide and frame. It is never even close to the trigger or trigger guard. Maybe that would change under stress, but I just don't see how.
View All Quotes

I was one of the people that scoffed at the Serpa safety issues... then I got a free one with a pistol purchase and decided to practice with it since I'd never really used one. I started doing some dry fire practice drawing from the holster, making sure to keep my finger along the frame.

And then, I don't know what changed, maybe a tiny slip on my grip, but something happened... as I drew, my finger snapped into the trigger guard and I pulled the trigger halfway back before I could stop myself. I gawked at it for a moment before deciding that I would NEVER use a Serpa unless I had no other choices. That happened while I was under no stress, and concentrating on NOT letting that happen.

Think of it this way. You could design a retention holster that requires a 10-digit keycode to unlock and release the weapon, and if the code is inputted incorrectly, the holster will fire the gun into your leg. If you get shot in the leg by it, technically you could call that a training and practice issue and scoff at it.

It's still a dumb design.

ETA: There are some Serpa holster designs for certain weapons that make it more difficult/easier for an ND to happen. My opinion is... why train with it in the first place. Get something better. G-Code, Safariland, and a host of other holster makers make far superior (IMHO) designs.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarHead94] [#11]
I can tell you that one thing is certain about the Serpa, fellas.......

Go to any SF area or compound on any base in-country (Iraq and Afghanistan, and others) and you'll see a painted, scuffed up Serpa on the hip of 99% of the soldiers in the Group.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lew:

This looks to be a budget rig- and there's nothing wrong with that- but you may want to consider separate pistol and rifle mag pouches to distribute the weight better.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:
Originally Posted By endofdays:
changed it up a bit since this pichttps://i.imgur.com/FUzhxXP.jpg

it now has two rifle and two pistol mag pouches that are not stacked and a dump pouch. it is my first belt and is a budget rig. im not a tier 1 operator so its fine for what i use it for
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JarHead94:

Go to any SF area or compound on any base in-country (Iraq and Afghanistan, and others) and you'll see a painted, scuffed up Serpa on the hip of 99% of the soldiers in the Group.
View Quote

Because most guys are cheap and use what they are issued.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Exactly. Like I said before, it is the most widely marketed and distributed holster. The military ate that shit up and bought a metric f*ck ton of them. However, the 3 ODA's I worked with recently all were using Safariland ALS holsters. So there finally seems to be some common sense coming around.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]
DSC_2546 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

View All Quotes

Truth
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jamiehstanley:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/scMrBs" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7711/17198623620_23de1557ba_k.jpg</a>DSC_2546 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
View Quote

Why glock and m&p mags? Isn't that just asking for a malfunction?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Exactly. Like I said before, it is the most widely marketed and distributed holster. The military ate that shit up and bought a metric f*ck ton of them. However, the 3 ODA's I worked with recently all were using Safariland ALS holsters. So there finally seems to be some common sense coming around.
View Quote

One of my first holsters was a serpa, but I only had it a couple weeks and gave it away.

I have been very happy with my ALS holsters. I like the fact that you can buy the light mounted ALS and still just use your pistol without a light instead of buying another holster. They are also built like tanks.

I got rid of all my G-codes, Ravens and others for Als's.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By hatexoc:

View All Quotes
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/scMrBs" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7711/17198623620_23de1557ba_k.jpg</a>DSC_2546 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr

Well yes .... but belt usually sits in glock mode, going to shoot the M&P and snapped picture before swapping mags.  

DSC_2548 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Well yes .... but belt usually sits in glock mode, going to shoot the M&P and snapped picture before swapping mags.  

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/rA9Cug" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7700/16795363703_ece382f137_k.jpg</a>DSC_2548 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
View All Quotes

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/rA9Cug" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7700/16795363703_ece382f137_k.jpg</a>DSC_2548 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr

Why one pistol mag on your dominant side and two on your non-dominant?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

View Quote

One hand reloads (in case of injury)

used to back-fill primary reload pouches as needed

primary reload if pistol is placed into other hand
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Not that an ND/AD couldn't happen to even the most experienced shooters, but these guys train like fiends and if anyone can minimize the risk of the Serpa trigger finger issue, I'd be the SF dudes could.  Plus, they probably aren't going to their side arm that often unless things are really going sideways.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Yes to all three above
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

Not that an ND/AD couldn't happen to even the most experienced shooters, but these guys train like fiends and if anyone can minimize the risk of the Serpa trigger finger issue, I'd be the SF dudes could.  Plus, they probably aren't going to their side arm that often unless things are really going sideways.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

lol...no.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#25]
HSGI Slim Grip Belt OD Green
Cobra buckle riggers belt
HSGI Atacs FG double decker taco pouches
Warrior Assault Sytems Pouch
Blackhawk Serpa with midrise belt loop

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Lurking in this thread for a while... finally have mine set up as I like.

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

In the wild. It appears pretty full, and it is fairly heavy, especially with FAL mags doubled up, but once i got it riding just above my hips, I can scoot around without any worries. I was hesitant on going double on the rifle mags, but im pleased with how it turned out. Cant say enough good things about the suregrip belt. super cozy

Thanks for all the help arfcom!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ATXSniper:

<a href="http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/atxsiper/media/DSC01686_zpsaai086xg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b617/atxsiper/DSC01686_zpsaai086xg.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/atxsiper/media/DSC01686_zpsaai086xg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b617/atxsiper/DSC01686_zpsaai086xg.jpg</a>

Any plans for medical equipment?

Originally Posted By Bakke1:

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

<a href="http://s102.photobucket.com/user/laxplayer201092/media/image%201.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/laxplayer201092/image%201.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s102.photobucket.com/user/laxplayer201092/media/image.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/laxplayer201092/image.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s102.photobucket.com/user/laxplayer201092/media/image%201.png.html" target="_blank">http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/laxplayer201092/image%201.png</a>

In the wild. It appears pretty full, and it is fairly heavy, especially with FAL mags doubled up, but once i got it riding just above my hips, I can scoot around without any worries. I was hesitant on going double on the rifle mags, but im pleased with how it turned out. Cant say enough good things about the suregrip belt. super cozy

That appears horribly imbalanced. I think you would be better served by single layer Tacos, at least as far as the rifle mags are concerned. Keeping the load closer to the body will pay off handsomely.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I will put a HSGI Bleeder/Blowout med kit on it. I generally do not put a ton of medical supplies in it.  Mine is more of Just in Case SHTF belt so I put survival type items in it like 550 cord, fire starter, compass, ect..
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I will put a HSGI Bleeder/Blowout med kit on it. I generally do not put a ton of medical supplies in it.  Mine is more of Just in Case SHTF belt so I put survival type items in it like 550 cord, fire starter, compass, ect..
View Quote

Cool. Always a good idea to have the tools and know-how to patch one up when playing with guns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Is anyone in here rocking the Crye MRB?  I have a HSGI Slimgrip and I'm thinking of switching over to the Crye.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#32]

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

<a href="http://s102.photobucket.com/user/laxplayer201092/media/image%201.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/laxplayer201092/image%201.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s102.photobucket.com/user/laxplayer201092/media/image.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/laxplayer201092/image.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s102.photobucket.com/user/laxplayer201092/media/image%201.png.html" target="_blank">http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/laxplayer201092/image%201.png</a>

View Quote

Good Lord, man...that looks freaking painful!

A lot of us have worn these things for work, and there is no way in hell I'd run that set-up without suspenders - and even doubtful then. You need different mag pouches for that many mags on your belt. For a visual example, look at the ALICE Gear thread here in this forum, or Google old USMC pics around the 1990 timeframe utilizing 3x ALICE magazine pouches on each side of the belt - you could carry six much more streamlined and comfortably There are MOLLE pouches made like this to adapt to your awesome HSGI belt.  My bigger concern, however, is that your sidearm is way behind you out in BFE because you have a utility pouch out in front for some reason.

I hate to bust on ya man, but that setup isn't something anyone with any sort training would take to the range, much less prepare for SHTF with. Ultimately it's your setup and if you are happy with it, then I'll FOAD - but if you want help on how to have a more useful, practical and comfortable set-up...then just PM me or any guys like BradPierson, ReconB4, Hatr40, Tr0N, etc..we'll be happy to help.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#33]

A lot of us have worn these things for work, and there is no way in hell I'd run that set-up without suspenders - and even doubtful then. You need different mag pouches for that many mags on your belt. For a visual example, look at the ALICE Gear thread here in this forum, or Google old USMC pics around the 1990 timeframe utilizing 3x ALICE magazine pouches on each side of the belt - you could carry six much more streamlined and comfortably There are MOLLE pouches made like this to adapt to your awesome HSGI belt.  My bigger concern, however, is that your sidearm is way behind you out in BFE because you have a utility pouch out in front for some reason.

I hate to bust on ya man, but that setup isn't something anyone with any sort training would take to the range, much less prepare for SHTF with. Ultimately it's your setup and if you are happy with it, then I'll FOAD - but if you want help on how to have a more useful, practical and comfortable set-up...then just PM me or any guys like BradPierson, ReconB4, Hatr40, Tr0N, etc..we'll be happy to help.

View All Quotes

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

Did you seriously suggest an insurance salesman with zero real-world experience as a subject matter expert from whom a Marine Lance Criminal can gain insight?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarHead94] [#34]

Did you seriously suggest an insurance salesman with zero real-world experience as a subject matter expert from whom a Marine Lance Criminal can gain insight?
View All Quotes

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

I damn sure did. BradPierson may not be military or have the experience of using this stuff day to day like me and the others I mentioned have, but his set up is legit. At one time he was a newb, but he asked questions, listened to those who are SMEs and built his setup based off of the advice he received from them. His setup is equal or superior to alot of the setups that I've seen here in this thread....not to mention the set-up in question. He left his ego at the door and didn't care who gave advice as long as it was sound - he took what he could from everyone, no matter what their job. On top off that, from my discussions with him, he actually trains with his gear instead of just taking pictures of it payed out or of him wearing it in front of the bathroom mirror.

By the way, and with all due respect to the member I responded to....I was a Lance Corporal once (well, twice, actually), and what I knew or thought I knew about gear wouldn't fill up a canteen cup.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SEK7562] [#35]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Didnt mean to cause a stir.

I posted mine just to illustrate that other things will work, other then the super low profile set ups that most people have on here. Mine, while yes, is one sided, fits my needs quite well. It affords me enough ammo for a lazy backpacking trip without needing any in a pack, and it gives me a solid option to take as my only piece of gear. Not bragging, but i would venture a guess that i have spent more time wearing much more, and much more uncomfortable gear, then probably 40% of the posters in this thread.   My belt has everything i need, and thru a little bit of practice, i can get to that pistol out in BFE, because I use that pouch for random things, about 1000x more then i will ever actually reach for my sidearm  Also, if you take the outer rifle mag out first, its almost like they arent doubled up any more.

Anyways, hope not to discourage anyone who wants to go with more then 3 rifle mags, it CAN  be done, and made to be comfortable, shit, im wearing mine laying in bed as i type this.

EDIT** i will also never don a plate carrier ever again, so this is my only go to, meaning having a few extra mags was a necessity for this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#37]

I damn sure did. BradPierson may not be military or have the experience of using this stuff day to day like me and the others I mentioned have, but his set up is legit. At one time he was a newb, but he asked questions, listened to those who are SMEs and built his setup based off of the advice he received from them. His setup is equal or superior to alot of the setups that I've seen here in this thread....not to mention the set-up in question. He left his ego at the door and didn't care who gave advice as long as it was sound - he took what he could from everyone, no matter what their job. On top off that, from my discussions with him, he actually trains with his gear instead of just taking pictures of it payed out or of him wearing it in front of the bathroom mirror.

By the way, and with all due respect to the member I responded to....I was a Lance Corporal once (well, twice, actually), and what I knew or thought I knew about gear wouldn't fill up a canteen cup.
View All Quotes

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

Wow.  Fairly obvious from your posts you have no experience with that kit.  I wore something very similar daily for quite a while and the only time I was thankful for suspenders was when I had to take a leak I didn't have to put my kit down.  The belt isn't going anywhere.  

If you're seriously recommending ALICE mag pouches as a better option you've never done serious drills with ALICE.  The manual of arms is very different and if you do not secure it every time you get a mag your other mags will magically disappear when you move to a new position.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

I just pictured a rocky montage.

Anyways, OP will figure out what he likes or doesn't like about his belt. And then he'll refine it.

Shooters preference is a magical thing, and they rarely look identical.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

Wow.  Fairly obvious from your posts you have no experience with that kit.  I wore something very similar daily for quite a while and the only time I was thankful for suspenders was when I had to take a leak I didn't have to put my kit down.  The belt isn't going anywhere.  

If you're seriously recommending ALICE mag pouches as a better option you've never done serious drills with ALICE. The manual of arms is very different and if you do not secure it every time you get a mag your other mags will magically disappear when you move to a new position.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

HSGI suregrip belt
Cobra Riggers belt
HSGI 2X rifle 1x pistol
CSM Dump pouch
USMC issued IFAK
PX bought pouch
Crye Gunclip.

If you're seriously recommending ALICE mag pouches as a better option you've never done serious drills with ALICE. The manual of arms is very different and if you do not secure it every time you get a mag your other mags will magically disappear when you move to a new position.

No, I didn't recommend ALICE - try reading closer. What I did say was for him to take a look at setups from the ALICE days when we positioned a shitload of mags on a pistol belt with two 3x magazine pouches on the left and right side of those crappy pistol belts.  As far as the rest of your snippy comment, you have no idea what you're talking about - I've done more drills with ALICE and MOLLE than you can imagine, for that matter, seeing how it was my business for 15 years.

What I was trying to explain is that the should consider distributing his load more efficiently. If you you can't see that he needs to do that, then you are blind as a bat and I don't know what else to tell you.There are pouches just like the old ALICE 3x magazine pouched but with MOLLE attachment. He could put one of those on each side and be much better off.

But...if he doesn't know any better - like you and I once did - or if he just really really likes that set up,, then more power to him. Not being open to different suggestions on how to do things is a smashing start in the profession of arms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#40]

No, I didn't recommend ALICE - try reading closer. What I did say was for him to take a look at setups from the ALICE days when we positioned a shitload of mags on a pistol belt with two 3x magazine pouches on the left and right side of those crappy pistol belts.  As far as the rest of your snippy comment, you have no idea what you're talking about - I've done more drills with ALICE and MOLLE than you can imagine, for that matter, seeing how it was my business for 15 years.

What I was trying to explain is that the should consider distributing his load more efficiently. If you you can't see that he needs to do that, then you are blind as a bat and I don't know what else to tell you.There are pouches just like the old ALICE 3x magazine pouched but with MOLLE attachment. He could put one of those on each side and be much better off.

But...if he doesn't know any better - like you and I once did - or if he just really really likes that set up,, then more power to him. Not being open to different suggestions on how to do things is a smashing start in the profession of arms.
View Quote

red-drills are important.  Super important.

green-I am sure most would agree that his load is one sided but blind to not see is a silly thing someone who brags about drills would say.  I have had some very odd gear set ups over the years.  They have rotated around what I was doing.  With some vehicles you are stuck with very limited configurations.  A guy walking around in iraq in 2005 often looked silly if he regularly had to drive humvees because big boys couldn't put mags on their chest due to the limited clearance.  A drill on a nice square range would say that is piss poor for weapons setup and bad for the manual of arms.  But maybe it is exactly what he needs to do the driving portion of the job which he does far more often than the shooting part.

There are a million variations of this.  I don't tell the Marine band dude where he should store his mouth piece.  It is his lane.  If you look at a mortar crew or a dismounted 60 team I could tell you some things that work well for that.  

I don't want to throw personal attacks around but it is laughable to tell someone they should look at a person who is a college student or printer sales man or what ever and say that guy is the SME when there is a ridiculous number of people who have gone through daily combat overseas utilizing this kind of gear.  Or that have imbedded in the new glamcam training scene shit for years now.  Those guys have sponsors and companies that they need to look good and often work the shit out of a rifle to get things right every time.  That doesn't mean gear doesn't change you don't see nearly as many TT chest rigs as you did long ago when I was dumping a fortune in them.  I guess what matters is chose your SME wisely and if someone tells you absolutes on this kind of stuff they are full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:37:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By nickforney:

green-I am sure most would agree that his load is one sided but blind to not see is a silly thing someone who brags about drills would say.  I have had some very odd gear set ups over the years.  They have rotated around what I was doing.  With some vehicles you are stuck with very limited configurations.  A guy walking around in iraq in 2005 often looked silly if he regularly had to drive humvees because big boys couldn't put mags on their chest due to the limited clearance.  A drill on a nice square range would say that is piss poor for weapons setup and bad for the manual of arms.  But maybe it is exactly what he needs to do the driving portion of the job which he does far more often than the shooting part.

There are a million variations of this.  I don't tell the Marine band dude where he should store his mouth piece.  It is his lane.  If you look at a mortar crew or a dismounted 60 team I could tell you some things that work well for that.  

I don't want to throw personal attacks around but it is laughable to tell someone they should look at a person who is a college student or printer sales man or what ever and say that guy is the SME when there is a ridiculous number of people who have gone through daily combat overseas utilizing this kind of gear.  Or that have imbedded in the new glamcam training scene shit for years now.  Those guys have sponsors and companies that they need to look good and often work the shit out of a rifle to get things right every time.  That doesn't mean gear doesn't change you don't see nearly as many TT chest rigs as you did long ago when I was dumping a fortune in them.  I guess what matters is chose your SME wisely and if someone tells you absolutes on this kind of stuff they are full of shit.
View All Quotes

You 41's always had some funky plate carriers going on.

You probobly would have looked at half the dudes i went to sangin with like they were lunatics then, guess GD was right, we were really blind the whole time   0311, checking in.

But seriously, my belt works for me. I am not comfortable grabbing something to use in a shitty situation with a whopping 60 extra rounds on it. If there is one thing i have learned, ammo is always heavy in a good way.  

Jarhead, i hope your belt works really well for you, im quite happy with mine.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#42]
p1 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#43]

You probobly would have looked at half the dudes i went to sangin with like they were lunatics then, guess GD was right, we were really blind the whole time   0311, checking in.

But seriously, my belt works for me. I am not comfortable grabbing something to use in a shitty situation with a whopping 60 extra rounds on it. If there is one thing i have learned, ammo is always heavy in a good way.  

View All Quotes

BAKKE1, Just sent you a PM of apology and explanation since I crapped on your gear in your post....I shouldn't have done that in public and sent it in IM.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

C'mon, man...you didn't read who I was replying to or somehow misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't bragging - just stating a fact when my experience was called into question. I wasn't stating any absolutes other than his load could be distributed much better for the type of work he stated he built it around.

As far as your statement about finding it laughable to compare the gear of a college student to a Marine who has been in Afghanistan - well, I get your point, certainly. But...I still I stand by my statement that the gear set-up of the "college-kid-printer-salesman in question" is superior to just about everyone's I've seen - including mine, and I have about the same experience, if not more than alot of other guys here. I try to learn from everyone - both what to do and what not to do - but maybe you have the same opinion.

I don't know one way or the other about free gear given to the "glamcam" trainers (pretty funny term, by the way), but after all the free gear I've received over the years to test and use, then I don't doubt your statement one bit. That doesn't change the fact that I would recommend TT, SOE, HSGI gear over Condor, Pantac, FLYEE to a serious professional any day of the week. I don't give a damn if an SME is a college kid that has used and trained hard with his gear or spent 12 months in Iraq wearing it around - a good setup is a good set up and I won't discount it just because of lack of perceived experience - the opposite holds true for bad setups used by people with a lot of experience, as well

I just remembered you are a mortar man - no wonder you disagree with me. You guys would argue with a dead tree stump and still manage to think you won the debate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#45]

I just remembered you are a mortar man - no wonder you disagree with me. You guys would argue with a dead tree stump and still manage to think you won the debate.
View Quote

Mortarmen don't argue with tree stumps.  But we can uproot them pretty fast.  

I generally think battle belts are stupid.  As an adviser I was required to wear a survival kit on my person at all times and a rigid riggers belt and beacon that was required at all times.  This made it suck to work with most other things.  I wore a kydex holster with an M9 in it generally under my top and carried an extra pistol mag for it.  Wearing a bunch of stuff on patrol out hunting douche bags was cool and all but 4 of our guys were killed by the police I was training and 0 were killed by the supposed bad guys.  

I literally had a battle belt for the purpose of having on OP's where there was a chance that I would have to quickly fight hard for a brief amount of time because someone had gotten in or I was the closest to contact and needed to shoot back hard as fast as possible.  

My impression has always been carry all day every day and be prepared.  Its great to have a rifle but most folks including some of the SME's you are mentioning aren't out hunting talibans and would have been much better off buying ammo and training from concealment...you know stuff that happens in real life.

Some of you battle belt bad asses should go do augees challenge found here  Im sure most of you can do it faster than me.  Im just a fat tired broken college kid.  Not a lot of people participating.

Remember the narrative at the Mohamed shooting down in Texas.  Those non pork eating homos were both prepared and had long guns.  A wounded cop shut that shit down by being extremely proficient with his pistol.  Im sure if he had the time he would put on a battle belt and plates and grab a cqb tier zero rifle.  He used his pistol and he canoed foreheads.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By nickforney:...Remember the narrative at the Mohamed shooting down in Texas.  Those non pork eating homos were both prepared and had long guns.  A wounded cop shut that shit down by being extremely proficient with his pistol.  Im sure if he had the time he would put on a battle belt and plates and grab a cqb tier zero rifle.  He used his pistol and he canoed foreheads...
View Quote

With a wheel gun, no less.  Don't mess with Texas indeed.

Great post.  I like my "battle belt" but I know I don't really need it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By scottr:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scottr:
Originally Posted By nickforney:...Remember the narrative at the Mohamed shooting down in Texas.  Those non pork eating homos were both prepared and had long guns.  A wounded cop shut that shit down by being extremely proficient with his pistol.  Im sure if he had the time he would put on a battle belt and plates and grab a cqb tier zero rifle.  He used his pistol and he canoed foreheads...

Ditto. It's fun to have and rifles are fun to shoot but I spend most of my time running from concealment with I'm at the range. I was just talking with a couple of the guys from the office and this had came up. I simply told them I believe if you can shot a pistol well it translates into shooting a rifle well, but does not work the other way around.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarHead94] [#48]

<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/11158189_10153227097780460_819415801_n.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/11158189_10153227097780460_819415801_n.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8152.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8152.jpg</a>

I generally think battle belts are stupid.  As an adviser I was required to wear a survival kit on my person at all times and a rigid riggers belt and beacon that was required at all times.  This made it suck to work with most other things.  I wore a kydex holster with an M9 in it generally under my top and carried an extra pistol mag for it.  Wearing a bunch of stuff on patrol out hunting douche bags was cool and all but 4 of our guys were killed by the police I was training and 0 were killed by the supposed bad guys.  

I literally had a battle belt for the purpose of having on OP's where there was a chance that I would have to quickly fight hard for a brief amount of time because someone had gotten in or I was the closest to contact and needed to shoot back hard as fast as possible.  

My impression has always been carry all day every day and be prepared.  Its great to have a rifle but most folks including some of the SME's you are mentioning aren't out hunting talibans and would have been much better off buying ammo and training from concealment...you know stuff that happens in real life.

Some of you battle belt bad asses should go do augees challenge found here  Im sure most of you can do it faster than me.  Im just a fat tired broken college kid.  Not a lot of people participating.

Remember the narrative at the Mohamed shooting down in Texas.  Those non pork eating homos were both prepared and had long guns.  A wounded cop shut that shit down by being extremely proficient with his pistol.  Im sure if he had the time he would put on a battle belt and plates and grab a cqb tier zero rifle.  He used his pistol and he canoed foreheads.
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/547707_10151146605370460_798213037_n-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/547707_10151146605370460_798213037_n-2.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/11158189_10153227097780460_819415801_n.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/11158189_10153227097780460_819415801_n.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8152.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8152.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/547707_10151146605370460_798213037_n-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/547707_10151146605370460_798213037_n-2.jpg</a>

Did I read that right? Your bros were killed by the ANP you were training?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I knew 3 people who were killed and 5 who were wounded by ANP during my two deployments. Its not exactly uncommon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarHead94] [#50]
Originally Posted By Aeain:

I knew 3 people who were killed and 5 who were wounded by ANP during my two deployments. Its not exactly uncommon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aeain:

I know that, no doubt about it...I worked closely with the ANA SF and ANP in Kandahar, myself. I didn't have a warm and fuzzy about doing it most of the time, either. Nobody I knew ever got killed by them, but I am positive they knew about a few VBIEDS that got through our security checkpoint outside of OP1 before gaining entry onto KAF.
Page / 154
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top