Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had Saiga's/Vepr's, they both are fun and have a wow factor to them.

I have always wanted an M4 until I shot one, while it shot great, I found it to be a little bulky and heavy.

The I got to shoot an SBS's M4, wow I really liked that. But, that was an expensive road to travel.

Granted all of the above was before the whole "brace" tech came to be.

Right now, IMHO a braced Tac13 is the way to go. I absolutely love mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
So long as they didn't get too horribly hot that it damaged the hardness of the barrel and springs, I could probably rebuild them. They should be priced at around 500 dollars each though. It'll take several hundred dollars to replace all the damaged parts and possibly a refinishing.
View Quote
Yeah I would be in at $500 each.
Although there's no way to know if they got hot enough to affect the metal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had Saiga's/Vepr's, they both are fun and have a wow factor to them.

I have always wanted an M4 until I shot one, while it shot great, I found it to be a little bulky and heavy.

The I got to shoot an SBS's M4, wow I really liked that. But, that was an expensive road to travel.

Granted all of the above was before the whole "brace" tech came to be.

Right now, IMHO a braced Tac13 is the way to go. I absolutely love mine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77315/vtac1_jpg-1278447.JPG
View Quote
We can’t have SBSs in ILL so the Tac13 is appealing.

Are you happy with the Tac-13 reliability?
Controllable with that brace?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We can’t have SBSs in ILL so the Tac13 is appealing.

Are you happy with the Tac-13 reliability?
Controllable with that brace?
View Quote
It has run everything I have put thru it.
I have an SBA3 on it using the Mesa tactical adapter, works just fine and easy to control.

I have about 800rds thru the gun.

Overall, I LOVE my braced TAC-13.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you could swap it for a SBS M4 (or if money didn't matter), which would you prefer?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you could swap it for a SBS M4 (or if money didn't matter), which would you prefer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmmm, that's a tough one.

I haven't shot an M4 in a long time, so it is tough to compare them both from memory.

All can say, is my Tac13 with brace has scratched that SBS itch without the wait or the $$$ involved, like it would with the M4.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I just form 1'd my M4 that I've had since around 2012.  Despite the sticker shock for the barrel, I'm glad I did.  It feels like a different shotgun.

It's slowly coming together in it's new form.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just form 1'd my M4 that I've had since around 2012.  Despite the sticker shock for the barrel, I'm glad I did.  It feels like a different shotgun.

It's slowly coming together in it's new form.

https://i.imgur.com/MEwJUZL.jpg
View Quote
If the LOP is 12-1/2" - 13", I could get all over that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I shortened that field stock back in 2012.  It’s not real pretty, since it was my first go with a grind to fit recoil pad.  But it’s right around 13”.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I shortened that field stock back in 2012.  It’s not real pretty, since it was my first go with a grind to fit recoil pad.  But it’s right around 13”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks nice
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@ankratz

IWC

Does require a little machine work to widen the slot in the stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@AvalonRifle

What's the QD socket you on have the stock?
Thanks
@ankratz

IWC

Buy the one they make specifically for the M4. No modification needed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@AvalonRifle

Thanks
@ankratz

IWC

When I bought mine in August of 2016 it was supposed to be for the M4.  After receiving it and corresponding with them, I sent it back when they informed me some work was required to make it fit.

I eventually bought another, when I was not able to find anything comparable for the project.  I did have to remove a bit of metal from the webbing slot of stock to make it work properly.

If someone has a newer version that does fit without and stock modifications, I would sure like to see some photos.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I bought mine in August of 2016 it was supposed to be for the M4.  After receiving it and corresponding with them, I sent it back when they informed me some work was required to make it fit.

I eventually bought another, when I was not able to find anything comparable for the project.  I did have to remove a bit of metal from the webbing slot of stock to make it work properly.

If someone has a newer version that does fit without and stock modifications, I would sure like to see some photos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@AvalonRifle

Thanks
@ankratz

IWC

Huh... not sure what to say, mine just screwed right on. Bought another for the M4 SBS last year and it also screwed right on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Huh... not sure what to say, mine just screwed right on. Bought another for the M4 SBS last year and it also screwed right on.
View Quote
Thanks.  Must have made some updates since 2016.  I will follow up with them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My M2 is great, the M4 must be greater.
View Quote
I'm pretty happy with my M2.

M2 SBS With Sling by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#16]
If I'm going to screw around stocking a serious amount of yet another caliber, especially one that's sorta expensive and bulky like 12ga, I appreciate not having to get another pile of mags to go with it.

I never cared much for shotguns until I got an M4.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I'm going to screw around stocking a serious amount of yet another caliber, especially one that's sorta expensive and bulky like 12ga, I appreciate not having to get another pile of mags to go with it.

I never cared much for shotguns until I got an M4.
View Quote
Yep, they can change your perspective on shotguns after shooting one.

I ended up getting two, one gets used to take classes and gets all the abuse, the other stays fresh and new.

I've come to see advantages in a tubular magazine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Question.  Is the choke fixed or removable on the M4?

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm pretty happy with my M2.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49374859398_ab850d447d_b.jpgM2 SBS With Sling by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
That looks like a great woods gun!!

I've got a SBE and have been thinking of chopping it down for a few years.  Not that short, but 18-20in.
Did they rethread it for Benelli chokes? I was told no one has a Benelli reamer.  Anything have to be done for reliability?

It would be my HD/AP shotgun.  Rangerband a light to it for HD,  I'd have to plug it for deer/turkey but it's easier than cleanin my muzzleloader
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep, they can change your perspective on shotguns after shooting one.

I ended up getting two, one gets used to take classes and gets all the abuse, the other stays fresh and new.

I've come to see advantages in a tubular magazine.
View Quote
Had a VEPR-12, sold it.  Bought a M4, no desire at all to sell.

The box mag shotguns are a solution looking for a problem, and carrying a lot of baggage along with it.  Shotgun magazines are bulky, heavy, and unwieldy not to mention expensive; ten round is ridiculously long, a twelve round plain absurd.  The only practical ones IMHO are the five round and then what advantage do they have over a tube fed?  Fast mag changes?  Well, so long as you have magazines on you and you have given up the ability to feed as you go.  Finally there is the question about lateral pressure from a stored magazine causing hull deformations because shotgun shells were not meant for it.  Jury is still out on the last one, but it is not an issue with rifles, or tube fed shotguns so why introduce it?

Tube fed is the way to go, box magazines in a shotgun is mall ninja.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The box mag shotguns are a solution looking for a problem, and carrying a lot of baggage along with it.  Shotgun magazines are bulky, heavy, and unwieldy not to mention expensive; ten round is ridiculously long, a twelve round plain absurd.  The only practical ones IMHO are the five round and then what advantage do they have over a tube fed?  Fast mag changes?  Well, so long as you have magazines on you and you have given up the ability to feed as you go.  Finally there is the question about lateral pressure from a stored magazine causing hull deformations because shotgun shells were not meant for it.
View Quote
8 round mags are where it's at. 10 or 12 is fine if you'll be standing the whole time. Then there are 20rd drums for playtime.

Yes the advantage is fast reloads. Really fast.

The stored mag thing isn't a problem unless you have really soft shells. I left some S&B loaded below the bolt carrier for a year and it still fed and cycled the whole mag without a problem.

Yes you'll need special LBE for the bulkier mags, but other guns need special LBE too so whatever.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#21]
My M4 is about done, I've thought about a box mag fed shotgun, but it wouldn't be what I'd grab when something went bump in the night.

Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#22]
At some point I'm getting one just for the collections sake. There's really no 'reason' for it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had one for 3 years and never even shot it..
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've had one for 3 years and never even shot it..
View Quote
You really should, they are one of the most pleasant shooting shotguns ever made.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You really should, they are one of the most pleasant shooting shotguns ever made.
View Quote
guess I should have qualified..

I HAVE SHOT THEM FOR YEARS.. just not since I actually pony'd up for one.. lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, lol gotcha. Mine is loaded with 9 rounds of 00 buck and a light, pulling HD duty along with pistols and a carbine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Man go shoot some trap, skeet or sporting clays! It's a great way to kill an afternoon and shotgun ammo is less than what your AR eats!

ETA - had to snap this when we were out shooting clays in January. All of our goofy guns ended up together - the fancy gats stayed in the cart

Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#28]
beretta 1301
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Possibly 2x greater

But it because I want 1!!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My M4 is about done, I've thought about a box mag fed shotgun, but it wouldn't be what I'd grab when something went bump in the night.

https://i.imgur.com/eKyOWLy.jpg
View Quote

What light is that?
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What light is that?
View Quote

Modlight PLH.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:18:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Modlight PLH.
View Quote

Thanks, I've had a 1st gen AVA mount laying around. I figured I would pick up a light and finally mount it on the gun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#33]
What's the typical go-to for after market trigger packs for these?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's the typical go-to for after market trigger packs for these?
View Quote

Briley seems like the best option these days. The kits from Freedom Fighter Tactical work well, but they’re difficult to get for the past few years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Ill give them a look, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Great thread OP, I’ve always wanted an M4. I shot one years ago but it’s not in the cards right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#37]
You don't need a reason for an M4 if you really want it, but I went with a Beretta 1301 instead and put the several hundred dollars saved towards ammo and an extension tube.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:04:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
- Ability to be radically shortened while maintaining full capacity. How many rounds can a 6" or 8" barreled M4 hold? Saiga/Vepr capacity is maintained at up to 20+ rnds at those barrel lengths.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top