Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2021 2:38:00 PM EDT
And over time? That is where our state is headed. How does that look economically?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of low level workers will be replaced and out work due to automation.

Inflation, your kids Happy meal at McDonald's will be $15.00 or more.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
more automation and fewer people working.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Everybody not making minimum wage will have diminished buying power

Minimum wage employees will have a little more for a brief time

Over a couple years, minimum wage will have the same buying power it does now, so they'll ask for $20
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It's just more taxable income that the government can collect on.

It's all part of their money skimming practice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's just more taxable income that the government can collect on.

It's all part of their money skimming practice.
View Quote

It's much worse than that

Put the small guys out of business, consolidate wealth, create an elite upper class like the world has never seen
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
In large metro areas the pay is probably already near that, it's the lowest cost of living areas like where I live that it will really hurt.

My 16yo son will not be able to find a job.
or
Small business will pay cash under the table. This is how my first job was in 1980.

Fast food and such in my area will have every low life fighting to get  $15 for doing almost nothing then use it to buy meth.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Minimum wage in Washington state is already $13.69 an hour...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Immediate effect? At least 25 people are terminated from one of my companies. Replaced with automation or outsourced. Probably more over time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The cost of all goods will go up.  If you are salaried you are taking a pay cut.  Congratulations.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
More automation and fewer workers.

One step closer to UBI and MMT.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Wont pass as in the House bill.  Too much opposition in the Senate and the $15 wage violates the Byrd Rule for qualifying for reconciliation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
What were the ramifications when min wage went to $7.25
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour by 2025 would cost the economy about 1.4 million jobs and would lift 900,000 Americans out of poverty, according to a recent analysis by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/progressives-urge-white-house-to-overrule-top-senate-official-and-include-15-minimum-wage-in-covid-relief-bill
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Kiosks.  Kiosks everywhere.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Well let's see.  I've been told for decades that inner city minority kids have lower grades/scores because they attend shitty, under financed school systems and less stable families and living arrangements as compared to "white" kids (That systemic racism that I'm told is ever where).  You tell me that I have to pay ANYONE that I hire the same wage even though I know (You've told me for years after all) that some of these folks will come with better educations and more stable environments who do you think I'm going to hire?  Sure, I'll have to figure out a way to do it without catching a civil rights lawsuit but I'm not the welfare office.  Paying some youngster $15 an hour when he/she can only give me back $12 an hour worth of labor is a non starter.   I think that this is the plan anyway.  This way the "libs" (They're anything but in reality) can say to those kids "See, we told you the free market and racism would let you down!" and keep them dependent and voting dem forever.

I think the scene from "A Christmas Story" where Ralphy meets Santa is probably a decent analogy to one of the first effects of an increased min' wage......"HO....HO....HO".
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
ebt will buy less big macs and more will end up on ebt, most will fail to do the math because math is racist.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour by 2025 would cost the economy about 1.4 million jobs and would lift 900,000 Americans out of poverty, according to a recent analysis by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/progressives-urge-white-house-to-overrule-top-senate-official-and-include-15-minimum-wage-in-covid-relief-bill
View Quote

So 500,000 people are worse off. By being unemployed.

The rest of the people get to enjoy inflation.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#20]
portland instituted $15 minimum...
that is a pretty good indicator I'd say.

should look something like this
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
$5 loafs of bread.. everything else proportionately increased.

Not immediate.. but will happen.

And it isn't just the minimum wage earners.  All the people earning $15 now or more will suddenly be devalued.  Which will also require a pay increase to keep them.  Imagine making $15/hour for a semi skilled job.  But you could quit, smoke pot all day and take burger orders for the same pay.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And over time? That is where our state is headed. How does that look economically?
View Quote

Well, what about the place that pays it's minimum-wage type workers $10/hr now and is forced to move them to $15/hr; the people at those same employers that have more experience or manage those $10/hr workers that currently make $15/hr?  Think they will be content making the same amount as the workers they manage?  They're going to leave or the employer will be forced to bump up their pay by a commensurate amount to keep them happy.  It's a cascading effect and will have some pretty major consequences.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of minimum wage people out of work and earning $0.00
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A lot of minimum wage people out of work and earning $0.00
View Quote

$0.00 is the real minimum wage.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll share my $0.02. Worked for a company with 260,000 employees. They increased wages to $15/hr to stay woke. You had entry level employees making the same as tenured employees. Moral went to shit. Wages "evened" out across the board. "Excited changes coming!" Announced layoff of about 50k employees and that they were closing up shop in some areas or being sold to another company because they weren't profitable. I left before it all happened but my contacts still there say more layoffs and more liquidation is still happening because of "big changes." The big wigs wants to retail their salaries and want more money, so you run on bare minimum and get punished if you don't perform.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]
things will cost more and people will lose employment being replaced by machines.

its really quite simple.

people aren't meant to raise a family and live for years on a minimum wage job, never were. its called an entry level job for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#27]
In a nutshell, the middle class are suddenly poorer.  The poor get their entry level jobs eliminated.  The hardest part of running a business is hiring, training and retaining good employees.  Higher wages mean the ROI on tools to replace workers becomes more doable.

I own a union construction company.  Automated welders are still very expensive.  As union wages go up and up, me buying several of them and filling my fab shop with them becomes more and more if a reality.  People don't get this, but it's how it works.  Everyone is competing with technology for their job.

The rich don't give two fucks.  As a business owner, technology doesn't want a break.  Technology doesn't complain to HR.  Technology doesn't have feels/attitude.  It makes my life simpler and more predictable actually.

Having said all that, I still enjoy employing people and helping to make their lives better.  However, the $ don't lie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lots of low level workers will be replaced and out work due to automation.

Inflation, your kids Happy meal at McDonald's will be $15.00 or more.

View Quote

That's not an "initial" ramification, but it will certainly speed it up.

First effect - a bunch of the businesses still standing after the lockdown bullshit will go under.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. This won’t pass as a clean bill.
2. There will be exceptions or other crapola in any bill.
3. So the ramifications will not be as big as we think.
4.  Some Businesses will close.
5. Some workers will be fired
6. Prices will go up for products
7. Food service employees if they are included will be indignant when their income goes down when people stop tipping at restaurants because the employees are well compensated with a minimum wage.

So much wrong with all this f$@&ery
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, what about the place that pays it's minimum-wage type workers $10/hr now and is forced to move them to $15/hr; the people at those same employers that have more experience or manage those $10/hr workers that currently make $15/hr?  Think they will be content making the same amount as the workers they manage?  They're going to leave or the employer will be forced to bump up their pay by a commensurate amount to keep them happy.  It's a cascading effect and will have some pretty major consequences.
View Quote

Where are those currently $15/hrs managers gonna go?  They obviously can't get a job making $20/hrs now or they would have.  That's the thing, they won't get a higher paying job.  They'll just make the same or barely more.  Maybe a few extra perks, but still $15.

That's why the middle class get poorer.  I don't pay anyone in my company minimum wage.  Think I'll give rhe low end of the pay scale an increase now that minimum wage closed the gap on them?  Lol of course not.  Middle class get fucked...like with all of the Dims' policies.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In large metro areas the pay is probably already near that, it's the lowest cost of living areas like where I live that it will really hurt.

My 16yo son will not be able to find a job.
or
Small business will pay cash under the table. This is how my first job was in 1980.

Fast food and such in my area will have every low life fighting to get  $15 for doing almost nothing then use it to buy meth.
View Quote

This is already true in my AO.
Contractors can’t hire general laborers because they are working in food service. Getting paid the same working inside
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
more automation and fewer people working.
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The cost of all goods will go up.  If you are salaried you are taking a pay cut.  Congratulations.
View Quote

Yup....
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is already true in my AO.
Contractors can’t hire general laborers because they are working in food service. Getting paid the same working inside
View Quote

My laborers cost $65/hr.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Automation is the obvious one.

Before clown world, I used to have lunch at Firehouse almost every day. Being independent franchises they didn't pay much, even around here where the cost of living is high.

There is a 100% chance that a sandwich now $9 or $10 will be $11 or $12. Additionally, the people taking the orders will be replaced by kiosks.

Everybody knows this. Inflation, increased prices, and lost jobs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#36]
A 15 dollar an hour wage is right at the starting point for people in my field. This would cause the wages to have
to rise as it would be hard to keep employees. So the bottom end people get raises and it would need to
be done all the way up the line to follow the current salary schedule. This would cause the cost of
our services to rise and it is a service that is used by 10's of millions of people. This would hurt
the poor the most.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#37]
FT employees get replaced by more PT employees without benefits.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#38]
$15/min wage is killing our labor market.

Costs for transporting goods are going to go up.  Hold on to your pockets.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Hyperinflation.....first and foremost.

So now you make $15 an hour (WEEEeeee!) but soon your rent goes to 2K, hamburger $15 and gas $9 a gallon, loaf of bread $10, hair cut $50, cars cost 40-50K on the lowest end (beat to shit used ones $25K).  Enjoy your $500 average electric bill. Employers cuts jobs by 50%. Now you are out of or. Wait now we need a $50 min wage...rise and repeat.

See how this has worked in cities and states that went down this road on the left coast.
Why does it cost more to live in San Fransisco or Portland than fly over cities in the Midwest?

Fact is you would live better off in Erie PA making $7.50 an hour than you would in SF making $15.00 an hour....why is that again? See above... and the poors making $15 an hour can go back to looking for a bridge to live under once things shake out.

Reality....

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Marxists will cheer and say how wonderful it is. People will start to lose jobs. Marxists will refuse to accept their policy is shit and blame the loss of jobs on capitalism and demand further control by the government.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#41]
At $15 minimum wage I'm not hiring anyone. Heck I might fire myself. I want $30 an hr. The boss says "drop dead." She's still laughing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Very little. Slight increases in prices.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Smash, that post is full of fuck.

Also, land use regulation has more to do with cost of living than minimum wage.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Everybody not making minimum wage will have diminished buying power

Minimum wage employees will have a little more for a brief time

Over a couple years, minimum wage will have the same buying power it does now, so they'll ask for $20
View Quote

And inflation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Prices of products will rise to compensate.

Where I am, "minimum wage" is already about $14 due to the market scrambling for labor.  Why work for $9 at McD when Amazon is paying $15, and Uline pays $23....
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#46]
It’s a way for big business to close small business.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Prices of products will rise to compensate.

Where I am, "minimum wage" is already about $14 due to the market scrambling for labor.  Why work for $9 at McD when Amazon is paying $15, and Uline pays $23....
View Quote

Working at McDonalds for $9 an hr. means you have no job skills. Ten years at McDonalds at $9 means you are one lazy dude. You should have some skills worth more by now and moved on to Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#48]
A friend of mine has his own business .   2 trucks and 2 trailers .  He just lost an employee .   And he has decided to put one of the trucks and trailers in storage .

He says that he cannot afford to hire at $15.00 per hour .  And that's what new prospects  expect .  Bad thing is they're to stupid to do the math.  They can earn 2 to 3 times that based on work done .

1 rig alone costs more than $150,000.  And now it is just going to sit .

Another problem is finding people that have valid drivers license and can be insured .  Too many dopers and drunks with jail time .

gd
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Our staff will be cut.  We have people who job does not bring that much value.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has his own business .   2 trucks and 2 trailers .  He just lost an employee .   And he has decided to put one of the trucks and trailers in storage .

He says that he cannot afford to hire at $15.00 per hour .  And that's what new prospects  expect .  Bad thing is they're to stupid to do the math.  They can earn 2 to 3 times that based on work done .

1 rig alone costs more than $150,000.  And now it is just going to sit .

Another problem is finding people that have valid drivers license and can be insured .  Too many dopers and drunks with jail time .

gd
View Quote

What business is it that he can spend $150,000 in capital and make money with $8/hr labor but lose money with $15/hr labor?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top