BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not mine, but one of my most favorite pistols ive ever shot.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/DSCN0060_jpg-3127832.JPG
View Quote

I have the twin to that very gun.  It is like shooting a .22 is it not?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
.38 special is an awesome cartridge.   It's put a lot of dicks in the dirt...
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not mine, but one of my most favorite pistols ive ever shot.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/DSCN0060_jpg-3127832.JPG

Its a definite pleasure to shoot!  very little recoil.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn’t really matter if it is going 800, 900, or 1000 fps. It’s a handgun cartridge.

It will not reliably kill a human with one shot.

But it really doesn’t need to. It only needs to convince some piece of shit to stop robbing you or stop assaulting you.

Two .38 spl slugs to the sternum will do that almost all the time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It doesn’t really matter if it is going 800, 900, or 1000 fps. It’s a handgun cartridge.

But it really doesn’t need to. It only needs to convince some piece of shit to stop robbing you or stop assaulting you.

View Quote

Except when they don't, and two FBI agents are dead as a result.  Or was that the 9mm Silvertip?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Im not sure I agree. Its a theory I would advise to hold on to loosely, but don't let it go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The perfect size, perfect hole in hole groups and recoil with just the right amount of twist.

Only 45 Colt can match its style and grace yet it is not made for my European sized hands.

Truly a wonder is all I can say about it.

Im not sure I agree. Its a theory I would advise to hold on to loosely, but don't let it go.

If you cling too tightly you are going to lose control.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s a great round, very versatile. I don’t know about “the best” but it was the cartridge I learned to hand load on so it’ll always have a special place in my heart

ETA: One of my favorite pistols to shoot
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
327fed is arguably better in a small pistol since you can get 6 in it.

only issue is availability of ammo/guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm convinced.

Better order me some more .38 Special if/before the Dems get in again this fall. I expect another run on ammo, regardless. .38 Special supply can be iffy.

I've been wanting to carry my SP101 for a while, anyway.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Except when they don't, and two FBI agents are dead as a result.  Or was that the 9mm Silvertip?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason .38 spl is no longer used for Law Enforcement.

Arresting felons is a totally different scenario than repelling a piece of shit trying to mug you. 99.9% of muggers will break off the attack if you put two slugs into their chest.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The perfect size, perfect hole in hole groups and recoil with just the right amount of twist.

Only 45 Colt can match its style and grace yet it is not made for my European sized hands.

View Quote

Its only a mediocre target cartridge and substandard at everything else you mentioned. Its boomer dog shit. No its silent generation dogshit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I really want one of the new Jframes because I too, really, really, really like the 38 special.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its only a mediocre target cartridge and substandard at everything else you mentioned. Its boomer dog shit. No its silent generation dogshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp

This ignorant edgelord shit is tiresome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I like it but would have hated to have been reliant on it defensively back in the day, if some of the stories I heard were any indication.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Derp

View Quote

The USPSA revolver division competitors must be all ignorant edgelords because they run 38sc instead of 38 special brass.
BTW all my revolvers are in 38 special and I love the cartridge. I just disagree with OP.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The USPSA revolver division competitors must be all ignorant edgelords because they run 38sc instead of 38 special brass.
BTW all my revolvers are in 38 special and I love the cartridge. I just disagree with OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp

You love it so much you call it dogshit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You love it so much you call it dogshit.
View Quote

I call it "boomer dogshit" because it comes with so much idiotic urban legend bullshit. "load it with snake shot" , "load the bullet backwards" and so on and so on. Or I think the biggest offender of them all "oh she is a woman give her a J frame".
There is a lot better options for modern self defense out there, the whole cartridges is surrounded by a bunch of bad lore and myths that older idiots tend to perpetuate.

TLDR cartridge isn't dog shit but the fan club and advice is.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I think the 38 special is a very good cartridge, but there are better, and worse cartridges.  I certainly wouldn't feel "undergunned" with a 38 special if it was in a decent loading.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#19]
The 9mm Rimmed is okay if you can get the capacity up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So get a 45acp revolver?
View Quote

Rimless in a revolver? Just no
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

38 special is hard to reload from a moon clip takes too long. Lets switch to rimless 9mm......   9mm is hard to reload because it gets stuck in chambers after firing, takes too long to reload....
Meanwhile 38SC master race is laughing at us from the balconies. Just dont ask them to show you groups at 25 yards :)
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: So get a 45acp revolver?

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Arresting felons is a totally different scenario than repelling a piece of shit trying to mug you. 99.9% of muggers will break off the attack if you put two slugs into their chest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

38 special is hard to reload from a moon clip takes too long. Lets switch to rimless 9mm......   9mm is hard to reload because it gets stuck in chambers after firing, takes too long to reload....
Meanwhile 38SC master race is laughing at us from the balconies. Just dont ask them to show you groups at 25 yards :)
View Quote

The only 2 reasons I can think of 38sc is being used is because of its shorter case length and the ability to use moon clips Which allow for faster reloading. both of which I do not care.

As to groups at 25y it does not matter when with enough training you can hit steel from 100 yards away with most 4 inch pistols, revolver or not.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I call it "boomer dogshit" because it comes with so much idiotic urban legend bullshit. "load it with snake shot" , "load the bullet backwards" and so on and so on. Or I think the biggest offender of them all "oh she is a woman give her a J frame".
There is a lot better options for modern self defense out there, the whole cartridges is surrounded by a bunch of bad lore and myths that older idiots tend to perpetuate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: You love it so much you call it dogshit.

I sell a lot of snub .38s to wemin on two grounds:

1) waving it over your head and shouting improves the efficiency of her dishwasher by 87%;

2) the snub can be fired from within a coat pocket or purse.  Combined with other known principles, this leads to an interesting and useful phenomenon - any shooting technique must be practiced, particularly firing a defensive arm from within a purse.

Husbands will never discourage their wives from practicing with their carry weapon.

Wemin should be sure to leave their wallet at home, as the wallet can be damaged by firing from within the purse.

She should take her oldest purse to the range, and practice shooting from it on very close range silhouettes.

As her husband is well aware, a woman's purse count can never decrease - it can only remain static or increase.  Thus, she is clearly in need of a new purse and her husband is the only one present with a wallet.

Voilà - an infinite number of new purses from the purchase of a single snubnose revolver.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The only 2 reasons I can think of 38sc is being used is because of its shorter case length and the ability to use moon clips Which allow for faster reloading. both of which I do not care.

As to groups at 25y it does not matter when with enough training you can hit steel from 100 yards away with most 4 inch pistols, revolver or not.

View Quote

We are speaking about different things.
There is defensive use
There is target shooting
There is competetive steel/USPSA shooting
all of the above have VERY different requirements.
By the way 38 special can use moonclips just as easily as 38sc

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Nothing wrong with 38 special. I just prefer 357 magnum because you can use both.

Been pocket carrying the SP101 for almost a month. Both as primary and backup for my Shield plus. I will not be shamed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#28]
My favorite pistol as a child was the .38s&w colt police positive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
The bulk of my meager gun collection is S&W .38 Specials. .38 is comfortable to shoot and fairly inexpensive to reload.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So get a 45acp revolver?

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

I’m onboard with the 38 Spl praise, but a 45 ACP revolver is the bee’s knees. Try it if you haven’t.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

I’m onboard with the 38 Spl praise, but a 45 ACP revolver is the bee’s knees. Try it if you haven’t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So get a 45acp revolver?

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

I miss my 1917 S&W. Should’ve kept it. I need a hug.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

View Quote

I prefer my cartridges uncut thank you very much.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I miss my 1917 S&W. Should've kept it. I need a hug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So get a 45acp revolver?

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

I'm onboard with the 38 Spl praise, but a 45 ACP revolver is the bee's knees. Try it if you haven't.

I miss my 1917 S&W. Should've kept it. I need a hug.
I have a 1917 S&W Brazilian contract gun. You need a smack on the back of the head.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What 9mm pushes a 158gr bullet to 1250fps? Or even 1000fps? Which is my normal swc load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the 38 Special is a fine target load. It’s accurate, it’s fun to shoot, and it gives people more of a true shooting experience versus rimfire. It’s also great to have a revolver and a lever action car being that will shoot the same ammunition. But I don’t think I would’ve bought a 38 special revolver if I had not Ended up with thousands of rounds of ammunition.  

Ballistically I was always told that the 38 special even if it’s hottest loads falls short of the 9 mm pabulum. I’m guessing that is still true.

What 9mm pushes a 158gr bullet to 1250fps? Or even 1000fps? Which is my normal swc load.

Also, I don't think you can get 180gr into a 9mm. The hater up-thread complaining about case capacity can take note, as well. Seated to the same OAL as a 125, it takes up a chunk of that case volume.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
327fed is arguably better in a small pistol since you can get 6 in it.

only issue is availability of ammo/guns.
View Quote

This.

I like .38 Special, but .327 Federal Magnum does .38 Special things so much better.

Revolver fans that don't want to try it are really missing out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even with the 158 gr ,+P LSWCHP it was only marginally effective back in the day, not just in terminal effectiveness but in struggling with barriers than other other service calibers wouldn't have had an issue with.

An example being the case of a former RCMP officer I talked to, who had a 2x4 fence handrail completely stop his bullet that would have otherwise hit a guy that was shooting at him.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do make .45 Auto-Rim brass, you know.  I have even heard of people trimming and sizing .41 Magnum brass down to 10mm dimensions, but haven't tried it myself.  Hard to see how it would work with a conventional size rim.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I have yet to shoot my .38 special. I know if I do, I'll want to shoot it all the time...

It wasas my grandfathers and he never shot it much either, and he bought it from his brother-in-law.

It is 100 years old this year and is mint
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#40]
My only.38 is a .357??
Model 13
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This.

I like .38 Special, but .327 Federal Magnum does .38 Special things so much better.

Revolver fans that don't want to try it are really missing out.
View Quote

It's a hand loader's dream. 32 SW, 32 H&R Magnum, and 327 Fed Mag all in the same gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Even with the 158 gr ,+P LSWCHP it was only marginally effective back in the day, not just in terminal effectiveness but in struggling with barriers than other other service calibers wouldn't have had an issue with.

An example being the case of a former RCMP officer I talked to, who had a 2x4 fence handrail completely stop his bullet that would have otherwise hit a guy that was shooting at him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on the actual velocity that wood would have stopped any other normal service load.

I'd prefer a swc-wn though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I never trusted the micro auto feeders, but I always trust the pocket sized .38
View Quote

I've only ever had one malfunction in my P365X, and that was a failure to eject within the first 250 rounds. It's been solid since, and I've put thousands of rounds through it.

A malfunction in an autoloader can usually be solved easily, to the point that it's a minor hindrance. With revolvers, that's usually not the case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
.44 makes more sense to me for a revolver cartridge.

.45 would also work, but I prefer .44 because you won't run into older guns that can't handle heavier loads.
View Quote

I own a Model 19 and a Model 29. I haven't shot them much, but I've shot them enough to know that I like .44 Special over anything else in the realm of revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

I'm onboard with the 38 Spl praise, but a 45 ACP revolver is the bee's knees. Try it if you haven't.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000150_jpg-3128136.JPG
What are those? They look like someone gave some boner pills to a bunch of .45 ACP.  

Is it a shop job?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What are those? They look like someone gave some boner pills to a bunch of .45 ACP.  

Is it a shop job?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

Is it a shop job?

I had my .45 colt mtn gun cut for moon clips. .45 acp looses like 200fps in the colt chambers So i use .45 win mag brass and load them to mid range .45 colt levels.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I had my .45 colt mtn gun cut for moon clips. .45 acp looses like 200fps in the colt chambers So i use .45 win mag brass and load them to mid range .45 colt levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

Is it a shop job?

Nice!  You're my hero.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nice!  You're my hero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, watch yourself, cuz.

Is it a shop job?

Nice!  You're my hero.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's so cool lol
Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top