Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
$299 isn't a bad price nowadays. It's roughly $175 in 1994 dollars which is the time frame I picked my SKS's and the rifles were being imported in plentiful supply.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same. My SKS was a Christmas gift when I was a kid. I think dad paid $120.

Also, OP misspelled "Alet"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$300 bucks for a SKS

Its crazy that I remember the 'old days' and Im only 29 28
Same. My SKS was a Christmas gift when I was a kid. I think dad paid $120.

Also, OP misspelled "Alet"
Yep.  An SKS was my first firearm purchase on my own.  New in wrap/cosmolined Chinese...$150.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That makes my Russian sks worth 1000.00...
I only paid 89.99 for it new
View Quote
They're not $1000 yet but $650 wouldn't be a big stretch for a nice one. I sold a 1954 Tula a couple years ago for $500 within a couple hours of listing it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmmm, $300 on an AR or an SKS...this is a tough choice
View Quote
Yeah. That fourth or fifth bottom of the barrel AR is a must buy. Forget variety or an interest in anything different.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Mil-surp rifles will only go up in value.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys get ripped the Fuck off on those things
View Quote
What are they going for in your AO?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am I in before the plethora of people who say they're only worth $100?
View Quote
Too late....Lots of peeps still suffering from "SKS Syndrome".

That said I thought $400.00 plus shipping, tax, and transfer was going to be a hard sell.

They charge tax.....$15 to Virginia.

Shipping....$29.00 to Virginia.

Then your transfer cost which in my case would be $25.00.

So you are looking at $69.00 +/- on top of the $299.00.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That said I thought $400.00 plus shipping, tax, and transfer was going to be a hard sell.

View Quote
Mine came out to 378.87 shipped to my door (C&R).

299.99 SKS
20 Hand pick
30.08 Shipping
24.80 Tax

Not to bad IMO. And I could have skipped the 20 hand pick, but hell with it. So around 358 skipping the hand pick option.   I have wanted one and I can accept paying this price for one. Ill clean it up, shoot it a few times and stash it in my safe.  Surplus is bound to increase as time goes on and surplus runs dry.

I did already get an email with tracking that my order has already shipped.  I had ordered right before making this topic about them being 299.   Guessing it will be here by Thursday(?)/Friday.  So maybe I got a gem out of the lot....
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Isn’t a PSA ar15 the same price?
View Quote
I believe that if you use today's daily deals you can buy both a complete AR 15 lower and an upper for less than $279.99.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Classic tends to be "optimistic" on their grading.

I bought a Yugo SKS from them last year that just last week I finally got all the cosmoline out of.  I think it was listed as "very good", I'd probably rate it as good.  The bore is in super shape at least.

$300 is probably fair for the game of roulette you're going to play on these Chinese ones.  I don't know how they can honestly do handpick for condition when they don't make ANY attempt at removing the cosmoline.  From the pictures, those things are fucking drenched in brown goop that will hide stock condition, rust, and everything else.

I'm not really into Chinese guns, and cleaning the cosmo out of the Yugo was a chore I don't want to repeat.  Now if someone would turn up a cache of Russian guns, then we'd be talking.  At least we're getting into the 100 degrees days in Texas, so it would be pretty easy to sweat another one in the sun.

ETA - It also seems like Sweaty Ben is taking more a backseat in their social media.  Clint seems like a cool guy, and is a huge upgrade when it comes to marketing for them.
View Quote
Agreed with the grading. Good reminder. It's summer. I have a fully impregnated Yugo to sweat from the same batch. I should do a dashboard de-cosmo.

Classic? Meh. Roll the dice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Pd. $99 in ‘91
Was considered cheap then
Lots of fun

Thought I’d get it out and take it to my range after yrs of being in the back of the safe
What a heavy, clunker of a turd

I quickly set it back in the safe and retrieved the AR
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine came out of that batch and I'm not disappointed. The stock had seen better days,  but no rust and numbers matching.  Took it to the range and it shoots well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I was tempted when I saw that email, especially considering today's prices, but I already have one and wouldn't have any place to put another one

And besides that, I just spent a crapload of money on my house and should probably hold off of guns for a while.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah I bought a Russian SKS around 1995 for $100. It was still in the creosote and I really like that little thing. It shoots straight and I have never had it jam in all those years.
View Quote
Had it been stored in a chimney previously?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I bought a Russian SKS around 1995 for $100. It was still in the creosote and I really like that little thing. It shoots straight and I have never had it jam in all those years.
@OBird @preachp

Amazon Product
  • Helps maintain your chimney while you enjoy your fireplace
  • Reduces the weight, thickness and flammability of creosote
  • For woodstoves and fireplace inserts

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ben"d over.
View Quote
So he’s Ben?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol what a deal
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Am I in before the plethora of people who say they're only worth $100?
View Quote
I wouldn't pay that much for one except to sell to some sucker wiling to pay at least double. Plus both transactions would have to take place at the time and place of my choosing.

That's the great thing about "worth." It's entirely dependent on the situation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

299.99 SKS
20 Hand pick
30.08 Shipping
24.80 Tax

Not to bad IMO. And I could have skipped the 20 hand pick, but hell with it. So around 358 skipping the hand pick option.   I have wanted one and I can accept paying this price for one. Ill clean it up, shoot it a few times and stash it in my safe.  Surplus is bound to increase as time goes on and surplus runs dry.

I did already get an email with tracking that my order has already shipped.  I had ordered right before making this topic about them being 299.   Guessing it will be here by Thursday(?)/Friday.  So maybe I got a gem out of the lot....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

299.99 SKS
20 Hand pick
30.08 Shipping
24.80 Tax

Yeah like i said, they were a hard sell at $399.00 with all the add-ons....."Round Boy" don't give much of anything away for free.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@OBird @preachp

www.amazon.com/dp/B001EPRAGM
View Quote
I would pay $$$ for one of those that worked on cosmoline
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#23]
OP Updated 08/06
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#24]
A couple years ago the local city did a buy back, no questions asked... They had to do it as a private transfer because MO State law says they can't use tax dollars to do buybacks without a vote so they got the PBA to donate the money and take the guns, then give them to the city for destruction (Well, the City has to offer them to an FFL first I think... then whatever the FFL doesn't want gets destroyed, i think that's how it's written).

I took in some old, busted shit worth at best, $50/ea and got $150/ea for them, walked out and there was a guy in the line outside with an SKS, I asked him if he was from MO, he says yes, I offered him $150, he handed it to me, I went home with my new (to me)SKS. The cops in the parking lot looked pissed (I might have also pointed out to the Mayor that they were breaking Fed law due to buying handguns from people across State lines when some of the people selling were talking about being from Illinois, shockingly none of the cops cared but that might explain their irritation with me).

I know, CSB.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I see better SKS rifles in pawn shops every week for that price....And no cosmoline.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I got alot like that. Boil water and start cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#27]
luckily for you, it's summertime.

put that bad boy out in the sun for a few hours, rotate, rinse, repeat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#28]
When I purchased my Yugo dealer was giving away a free can of Wonder Lube with them; he said, you’ll need it, lol.

I did
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#29]
"Holy mother of cosmoline!!"

Good one OP!!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Junk rifles...honestly, why people love old shit is beyond me.

Have at it.
View Quote
Guns are like women, some guys like all of them, big or small, brunettes, blondes, red heads, tats, thick whatever.
Some guys are more particular, Gotta like this/that/the other for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Have at it.
View Quote
They're actually (at the the design itself, cant speak for this current crop) a decent robust rifle
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Have at it.
View Quote
I am older than most of those old rifles!!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#33]
If you have an attic, take a coat hanger and hang the SKS over a large pan from the rafters. The summer heat will melt the cosmoline into the pan below.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#34]
No special solvent needed. Just a pan of diesel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Lots of mil surplus guns had that goop. I hate that shit when it’s soaked into the wood.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I picked up a very nice Russian and Yugo last year for $425 and $400 respectively.

You can find them, just have to be patient.

I think $300 for these, considering transfer fee and shipping will bring them near $400 is still too much.
You can find Chinese SKS in better condition for that price in most any pawn or gun shop around here.

I think I did ok considering.

https://i.imgur.com/9OcWeX4.jpg
View Quote
Those damn crates are even going for decent money now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
These things didn’t get to $400+ overnight.

I can’t believe there are still people that show up in SKS threads going “OMG THESE ARE THAT MUCH NOW? MINE WAS $79 back in 1997 HURRRRR”

SKS’s have been several hundred dollars for at least 10 years now.
View Quote
And don't forget these were slathered with cosmo and stored in some other country for X number of years to allow importation

Chicom SKS's are going for $229.99 up in Canada, which is like what $75 US?
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Look forward to seeing that SKS cleaned up. Mine is on the way.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No special solvent needed. Just a pan of diesel.
View Quote
This. Any gas, kerosene or thin petroleum product will work, too. Just break it down a bit and stick it in tub with it. It will leech out of the stock for a while, though, but putting it in the hot sun with will help with that some. Just make sure you lecture the guy youre buying the gas from about how you used to buy gas for a dime a gallon, and how he's ripping you off, if you want the complete SKS experience.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This. Any gas, kerosene or thin petroleum product will work, too. Just break it down a bit and stick it in tub with it. It will leech out of the stock for a while, though, but putting it in the hot sun with will help with that some. Just make sure you lecture the guy youre buying the gas from about how you used to buy gas for a dime a gallon, and how he's ripping you off, if you want the complete SKS experience.
View Quote
Can I say "Back in my day "

It's hot as balls here right now.  I am going to hang it in the rafters over the garage with a drip pan.  I'll let free heat start the work for me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Way too much work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Oof.

That’s rough looking compared to the ones I’d regularly sell for $199 back when I worked at the gun store.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Everyone should own an SKS. They are good, solid, rifles.  Prices are getting a little high though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
$300 bucks for a SKS

Its crazy that I remember the 'old days' and Im only 29
View Quote
I paid $200 for a Norinco with synthetic stock in 2006-7. It had a modified detachable AK and wouldn’t feed. My dumbass got rid of the gun instead of getting a new mag.

It wasn’t an amazing gun, but it’s definitely reinforced this one principle: never sell a gun
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Special price $349 now!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Strip out the action and throw the parts in a coffee can filled with some gasoline. Soak for 30 minutes, swish the gas around once or twice, pull out mostly cleaned parts. Use compressed air to off the stuff in the holes or crevices.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I remember when they sold these things by the crate for $99 / each.  I wish dad would've bought a hundred of them
View Quote
This is how I bought mine. Picked it out of a old barrel and took it to the counter. In CA of all places too!
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Special price $349 now!!
View Quote
They were on sale.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Regardless of the price, the pic in the op brought back instant olfactory and tactile memories from my first few that I’d purchased back in the 90’s.

I think I’ll order a can and relive yesteryear!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top