BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someday, I would love to own a Russian and Yugoslavian SKS. Those were the first rifles I ever owned, and they have a special place in my heart. I sold them off years ago. Prices are stupid now, and I’m not in the market for one anyway.
View Quote
Well if you want one, I can help you out with a Yugo
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I see better SKS rifles in pawn shops every week for that price....And no cosmoline.
View Quote
No you don't.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Me Sovietski rifle getting.

Shining bright like new kopek.

$250

Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow. It's ugly... So glad I don't shoot trash can guns or any of their comrades.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No you don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see better SKS rifles in pawn shops every week for that price....And no cosmoline.
No you don't.
Thank you.  I was curious if TN was some kind of oddity.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

$250

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20190806_205606-1045108.jpg
View Quote
What's that little bump for on the magazine?  Almost looks like a rivet or something?
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$300 bucks for a SKS

Its crazy that I remember the 'old days' and Im only 29
View Quote
$75 all day long in 1990.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Been tempted but I got burned by Classic on a Swiss K11 years ago, not even close to their listed condition and when I called they said they didn’t have any left so either keep it or pay to ship it back
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I remember paying $99 out the door for one in 1996.
View Quote
I worked at Rose’s in high school around that time and remember them being in the electronics section.  I wanted one so bad but $99 bought a lot of gas and food then.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to buy them for $49 and Mak90's for $169 - back in the day from Shotgun News distributors (pops had an FFL)
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$300 bucks for a SKS

Its crazy that I remember the 'old days' and Im only 29
View Quote
I happily paid $329 in the Obama years
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is some music to degrease your SKS by..

????? ???! My Army! (English Lyrics)
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Update 2.0: Shes Clean.

Took me a couple days several hours each day, but she is finally cleaned up!

MORE of this shit everywhere!

I soaked the smaller parts in gas. With the larger parts getting the boiling water and simpler green method, with a side of heat gun.  Both worked fairly well to remove to cosmoline shit.  However, with the stock while cleaning the cosmo off, much of the finish was coming with it!    SO I decided to keep at it and see what happened when i was done.  Well, for whatever reason MOST of the original finish has come off.   Made the call to just finish stripping it down.

Out came the 150 and 220 grit sand paper

Long story short, she is whole again

The pictures seem to make it look much more brown then it really is.

All in all I am happy with the purchase.  The rifle wasn't that bad, but I defiantly see where Classic Firearms gives the rifle higher grading then what most would agree on.  The rifle does show signs of being tossed around and not really being cared for.  But it isnt that bad and for such an old rifle i am ok with it.

I am happy with the purchase and now need to find a second to take her shooting!  Damn cleaning and restore took up most of my free time the weekend!
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I say good on ya ! Nice job cleaning it up. It’s funny I was telling my son and showed him the video of them coming out of the crate. I say the price is not bad. Every SKS I’ve handled was easy to shoot and all have been pretty damn accurate. Yes a lot of us remember those days when these as well as many other rifles like it were dirt cheap. Those days are gone. Yes they were cheap, lowers in those days were $300 who wants to go back to that.

I laughed at the one on our armslist going for $700.....maybe it’s special I don’t know. At $299 it’s kinda tempting to buy a few.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#16]
It's still a SKS......
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#17]
     " />

Total trash. No bluing stock busted. Photos taken after cleaning off the exterior.

I wasted $300 lesson learned.

With that said buddy bought one as well and his is super nice. 80-90 bluing no rust stock looked really nice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice OP. My Chinese SKS looked like that a few years ago when I bought it at J&G. I took it home (Phoenix) and left it standing in its plastic bag. The 116 degree temp removed a lot of the cosmoline after several hours.

Mine was missing a lot of the blue. This shit worked magic:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue--prod1072.aspx

Used a polishing wheel and repeated a few times. Came out black with a nice medium shine.

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought mine when they were $349 and haven't even taken it out of the bag. Wonder what kind of a surprise I'm in for. Otherwise I'll probably just dump it when prices on milsurps get even sillier and get a nicer one before that happens.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

$250

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20190806_205606-1045108.jpg
View Quote
Enjoy your blocked mag.

OP, yours cleaned-up about like the rest of them I've see posted.....And yes it can seem pretty daunting at first but just look at all the free cosmo you got!

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/327924/79762.JPGNice OP. My Chinese SKS looked like that a few years ago when I bought it at J&G. I took it home (Phoenix) and left it standing in its plastic bag. The 116 degree temp removed a lot of the cosmoline after several hours.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue--prod1072.aspx

Used a polishing wheel and repeated a few times. Came out black with a nice medium shine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/327924/20180415_093650-515727.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/327924/79762.JPGNice OP. My Chinese SKS looked like that a few years ago when I bought it at J&G. I took it home (Phoenix) and left it standing in its plastic bag. The 116 degree temp removed a lot of the cosmoline after several hours.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/327924/20180415_093650-515727.jpg
VERY NICE!    I may take the dremel with the polishing pads to a couple parts.

Quoted:

Enjoy your blocked mag.

OP, yours cleaned-up about like the rest of them I've see posted.....And yes it can seem pretty daunting at first but just look at all the free cosmo you got!

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Mosin-Nagant-Cosmo-700x455.png
i CANNOT believe the places this shit gets into!  I mean, it did a decent job at keeping the rifle from rusting!  I have some small spots on the butt plates that look like the cosmo missed :( .

I figure in a couple weeks Ill pull her apart again and give a good cleaning as i am sure that cosmo is still hiding SOMEWHERE on this thing!
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Make damn sure the firing pin is cleaned up and moving freely!  Back when the Yugos became available lots of slamfire full auto was happening where people didn't get all the gunk ot of the bolts and firing pins.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I actually wouldn't mind having that one-but not for $300(more like $175 range). I love service rifles with the been there look. Looks like more effort should have gone into grading these, and pricing accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I actually wouldn't mind having that one-but not for $300(more like $175 range). I love service rifles with the been there look. Looks like more effort should have gone into grading these, and pricing accordingly.
View Quote
$175 would have been extremely fair on price. And I like the trench art but the fact the stock is broken all the way thru and it’s rusted really bad just added insult to injury. Now if the metal was bad like this and the stock was 100% ok I’d be fine with that. But both is what made me sick.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$175 would have been extremely fair on price. And I like the trench art but the fact the stock is broken all the way thru and it’s rusted really bad just added insult to injury. Now if the metal was bad like this and the stock was 100% ok I’d be fine with that. But both is what made me sick.
View Quote
Agreed-at $300+ I'd have been pissed-especially after seeing that a friend got a good one out of the same batch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Make damn sure the firing pin is cleaned up and moving freely!  Back when the Yugos became available lots of slamfire full auto was happening where people didn't get all the gunk ot of the bolts and firing pins.
View Quote
I used the air compressor to blow out the firepin in the bolt.  I plan to break it down to ensure its free of the cosmo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like AIM has a batch too, more expensive than Classic but they actually have different grades of rifle. A bit more confidence inspiring.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Got in on the $300 sale.  Paid $20 for the cosmetic select and ended up getting all matching as well.  Cleaned her up and took her shooting today.  100 pills went down the pipe just fine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got in on the $300 sale.  Paid $20 for the cosmetic select and ended up getting all matching as well.  Cleaned her up and took her shooting today.  100 pills went down the pipe just fine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/406502/sks_1_jpg-1051239.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/406502/sks_2_jpg-1051240.JPG
View Quote
Wait, mine doesnt have the number on the side.... and my sling is on the side of the stock...
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Cracked stock ones are on sale for $249 currently.  I'd bet that's the lowest they will go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cracked stock ones are on sale for $249 currently.  I'd bet that's the lowest they will go.
View Quote
I'm tempted to buy one of these and Tapco the fuck out of it for the PUBG luls, but I'd probably get bored with it after the first range trip.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#33]
@swampfoxoutdoors

Drop me a PM, I think I may have a stock or 2 around.

If it's pinned, not threaded, I have a chicom fiberglass stock that will fit
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Back in the nineties Classic would have a big table at all of the Fayetteville, NC gun shows. I bought lots of Milsurps from them. It was a carp shoot, which is just how surplus works.

A good example is Enfields. A buddy and I each bought an Enfield No4 MK1 off their table, they were covered in cosmoline, and wrapped in paper from the armory. My buddy cleaned his up and it was a 1942 in perfect condition every where. Mine was in terrible but functional shape, several crack repairs on the stock, no gluing any where, bits of badly peeling paint on some metal, force matched numbers on bolt and a sewer pipe barrel. They came out of the same crate, right next to each other. You really can't tell much about the condition until you remove the cosmoline.

I still have that Enfield, only paid $79, and I may do something with it eventually. As it is now it is a wall hanger, just about every shot keyholes at 25m. It is a 1948, so it doesn't have the war era history.Just Just another beat up old gun.
View Quote
It is a crap shoot, but maybe if they were just a touch more honest in their grading they wouldn't take such a beating in reviews.  I'm positive you could have the warehouse monkeys develop a system of cleaning and grading them appropriately.  If they did that, maybe Sweaty Ben wouldn't take such a beating.  Just pulling a bunch of random cosmoline covered rifles out of a crate and saying they are "excellent" or "good" based on who knows what isn't really a good system.   Clean and grade them accordingly, then price them accordingly.  JMHO
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top