Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think some people fully appreciate what it means for a company to spend $715M on a single season of a TV show.

Comparatively speaking, it'd be like a studio spending $1.3 BILLION on a single movie.

To spend that much is astonishing, but to spend that much and have the finished product STILL be a steaming pile of shit is the type of historically mind boggling fuck up that college courses should be taught on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best comparison I have is what Paul Verhoeven did to Starship Troopers.   Why Hollywood writers and directors think they can improve on literary genius escapes me.
View Quote

Sooo... this series is going to do just fine, then? (Considering how many arfcommers alone, are fans of the Starship Troopers movie).
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
‘“The Rings of Power” Is Too Big to Fail’
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had to update the thread title.

It use to be "$465M," but according to the Wall Street Journal Amazon has spent $715M on the first season alone.
View Quote

Explains why my ex wife called me a broke loser. I told her 20 years ago Amazon would never make much money…I can talk about women, surfing and whatnot but my financial savvy sucks. Wow, almost a billion to throw away on a shit show?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Watch party for tonight?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Watch party for tonight?

View Quote
Nah.  Gonna watch this myself.  Setting up a TV in the crapper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
‘“The Rings of Power” Is Too Big to Fail’
View Quote

Something this brave and bold that strikes right at the heart of the Western soul...must be pushed through.
Less about what was dear hobbit...more about what Will be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Explains why my ex wife called me a broke loser. I told her 20 years ago Amazon would never make much money…I can talk about women, surfing and whatnot but my financial savvy sucks. Wow, almost a billion to throw away on a shit show?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It use to be "$465M," but according to the Wall Street Journal Amazon has spent $715M on the first season alone.

It's worth noting that the $715M estimate is just for the first season and Amazon's plan is (or at least "was") to make FIVE SEASONS of this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's worth noting that the $715M estimate is just for the first season and Amazon's plan is (or at least "was") to make FIVE SEASONS of this.
View Quote
GOOD FUCKING GRAVY
Folks, my movie insights might be useful for you but holy fuck, ignore the fuck out of me when it comes to money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, insane.

There's no way this sees 5 seasons with that budget with the feedback it's getting. It's either getting the budget slashed or they're going to back out of the 5 season commitment.

I think the latter is more likely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
maybe just MAYBE this will be a wakeup call to all the over the top inclusiveness and wokism that is being shoved into so much of the media these days.

one hopes...
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Corporatism is the death of the soul.  Bezos is thoroughly a corporate creature.  He thinks he can just demand "Give me GoT," then take a totally unrelated franchise in LOTR, and someone get GoT, at the same time a real GoT spinoff is airing, and that it will somehow work.  Oh, and of course it can be woke as fuck because fuck you, consume product.  

This isn't art, it's just more cheap product produced from the Amazon warehouse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Corporatism is the death of the soul.  Bezos is thoroughly a corporate creature.  He thinks he can just demand "Give me GoT," then take a totally unrelated franchise in LOTR, and someone get GoT, at the same time a real GoT spinoff is airing, and that it will somehow work.  Oh, and of course it can be woke as fuck because fuck you, consume product.  

This isn't art, it's just more cheap product produced from the Amazon warehouse.
View Quote

'Poorly thought out' maybe, but I 'cheap' doesn't appear to be the case.

Maybe if $7xx million goes up in smoke, they'll seriously reconsider all the woke/diverse/whatever nonsense.

As someone mentioned, with such an epic budget, they could have hired talented writers to create a whole new world, instead of taking other writers material that millions of fans are familiar with, and screwing around with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Because Hobbits, Dwarfs and Elves aren't diverse enough? smh
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because Hobbits, Dwarfs and Elves aren't diverse enough? smh
View Quote

Species diversity; but according to the SJWs, the only melanin endowed species were the baddies
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#17]
With both that kind of money sunk in AND the brand rep of Amazon (and the studio involved) at stake.....it's not unlikely that they'll shitcan the showrunners, the writing staff, and the executive producers.....then bring in a crew of replacements with the single mission of unfucking it until it's decent.

"So, yeah, just fucking ignore Season One".  You can delete characters (especially "original" characters who aren't globally-vital up and down the franchise), recast, rewrite arcs and such, and so on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
How does Amazon decide if this was a good investment or not? People are getting access with their Prime memberships and there aren't ads playing
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]

That was my exact thought if they don't make any changes on budget and/or stick with stated number of seasons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Jingle All The Way - Here's To You Dad

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#22]
to be fair the did have Black numenoreans but I think the reference was towards their alignment towards evil much like what the mouth of sauron would could have been. Fallen, Corrupt and dark in their ethics, it fits the description of the left to a tee. Not watching, not worth it as it's just another slander and an attempt to goad people into anger and division.

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The best comparison I have is what Paul Verhoeven did to Starship Troopers.   Why Hollywood writers and directors think they can improve on literary genius escapes me.
View Quote

…and yet, I love that movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I do not get the push to pander to a group of the population that comprises of only 13% of the population, and a big chunk of that population is in prison, jail, on welfare, or just aint got no mo time fo dat...

If an alien was to watch our tv stations for 1 day, they would be sure that the majority of our planet is black people, that everyone marries either the same gender or a different colored gender, and white people are the slow dumb igits that are the comedic relief of the planet, like Jar Jar Binks...How the fuck did we become Jar Jar?????????  

How did this happen in our own damn country...???
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do not get the push to pander to a group of the population that comprises of only 13% of the population, and a big chunk of that population is in prison, jail, on welfare, or just aint got no mo time fo dat...

If an alien was to watch our tv stations for 1 day, they would be sure that the majority of our planet is black people, that everyone marries either the same gender or a different colored gender, and white people are the slow dumb igits that are the comedic relief of the planet, like Jar Jar Binks...How the fuck did we become Jar Jar?????????  

How did this happen in our own damn country...???
View Quote

Foreign manipulation of our country and subverters of society doing what they have always done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Does the story suck?  I’ll wait to see if I should waste my time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's what I dont get...for $1 Billion you can build your own world ...even if it sucks lots of folks will watch just because it's content.
That wont work when you take a world people have know for 50 years and rip it apart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty dumb to spend that much on Tolkien IP and then write your own content. They should have just made their own big budget original woke fantasy series.  Oh, no one would watch it? I'll have a coke.

That's what I dont get...for $1 Billion you can build your own world ...even if it sucks lots of folks will watch just because it's content.
That wont work when you take a world people have know for 50 years and rip it apart.

Content is ALWAYS king.

In this case, content is the story the series tells.

If you have a really good compelling story, people will put up with a legion of sins like bad acting.

If you don't, it does not matter what you do, people will hate it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Watch party for tonight?
View Quote

Even if I had their streaming service, I wouldn't give it a hate watch.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't even pirate it.

I'm here to rubberneck the trainwreck.

In the off chance that they get it right, maybe get it later, but that chance is SO off that I cannot imagine it becoming true.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch party for tonight?

Protip:

Bring a five gallon bucket and something to wash down the acid after you have to
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
maybe just MAYBE this will be a wakeup call to all the over the top inclusiveness and wokism that is being shoved into so much of the media these days.

one hopes...
View Quote

The watching numbers for the first season and especially the first two have to be beyond horrid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In the off chance that they get it right, maybe get it later, but that chance is SO off that I cannot imagine it becoming true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch party for tonight?

I'll catch the Drinker's review in a day or two.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Exclusive Scene From The Rings Of Power
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/Bncd0BFJ/Screenshot-20220901-210707-Reddit.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch party for tonight?

https://i.postimg.cc/Bncd0BFJ/Screenshot-20220901-210707-Reddit.jpg

I'd been looking for that meme. I forgot to save it when I first saw it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Amazon had E2 available, but forgot to make E1 available.

This is a $1.3 TRILLION company’s $715M project and its being run like an elementary school news show.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How does Amazon decide if this was a good investment or not? People are getting access with their Prime memberships and there aren't ads playing
View Quote

Number of people watching each episode, people rewatching, phones vs tablets vs TVs, ages, sex, similar viewed content, etc. They have incredible amounts of demographics available to them as a streaming service.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
to be fair the did have Black numenoreans but I think the reference was towards their alignment towards evil much like what the mouth of sauron would could have been. Fallen, Corrupt and dark in their ethics, it fits the description of the left to a tee. Not watching, not worth it as it's just another slander and an attempt to goad people into anger and division.

View Quote

Correct................the Black Numenoreans were deceived by Sauron. The Mouth of Sauron is reputed to be a corrupted Numenorean who survived the destruction of Numenor

Galadriel wasn't some warrior queen either
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#38]

I think that squirrel at the beginning was CGI...

(And nice She-Hulk tie in! )
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#39]
ROFL!

Exclusive Scene From The Rings Of Power

ETA: beat to it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually forgot it was on

Anyone seen it yet?

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#41]
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/08/31/grace-randolph-savages-galadriel-in-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-claims-elrond-is-gay/

Next, Randolph claims that Elrond is gay explaining, “Robert Aramayo plays not just an ambitious Elf climbing the political hierarchy, but [Galadriel’s] clearly gay BFF, which makes for a very relatable dynamic, I felt.”

“And their friendship is like the one thing that softens Galadriel because if you’re like if this nice, smart guy can stand her then there must be something the rest of us aren’t seeing,” she elaborated.

While Randolph claims Elrond is Galadriel’s gay BFF she then laments, “Tragically, there are no LGBT characters in all of The Lord of the Rings because J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic.”

Robert Aramayo as Elrond in The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

She then argues, ” I think [the showrunners are] trying to fly in the face of that as much as possible. I think there’s a lot of subtext here particularly with the Elves. Openly gay actor Lee Pace did a wonderful captivating job in The Lord of the Rings movies. I think that whether J.R.R. Tolkien likes it or not I think that’s become a clear element of the Elves in particular in this world.”

“And I hope and I’m curious to see if they go a little further with it as the show progresses,” she professed. “I mean you can cut the sexual tension in multiple Elf male scenes with a knife.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/08/31/grace-randolph-savages-galadriel-in-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-claims-elrond-is-gay/

Next, Randolph claims that Elrond is gay explaining, “Robert Aramayo plays not just an ambitious Elf climbing the political hierarchy, but [Galadriel’s] clearly gay BFF, which makes for a very relatable dynamic, I felt.”

“And their friendship is like the one thing that softens Galadriel because if you’re like if this nice, smart guy can stand her then there must be something the rest of us aren’t seeing,” she elaborated.

While Randolph claims Elrond is Galadriel’s gay BFF she then laments, “Tragically, there are no LGBT characters in all of The Lord of the Rings because J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic.”

Robert Aramayo as Elrond in The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

She then argues, ” I think [the showrunners are] trying to fly in the face of that as much as possible. I think there’s a lot of subtext here particularly with the Elves. Openly gay actor Lee Pace did a wonderful captivating job in The Lord of the Rings movies. I think that whether J.R.R. Tolkien likes it or not I think that’s become a clear element of the Elves in particular in this world.”

“And I hope and I’m curious to see if they go a little further with it as the show progresses,” she professed. “I mean you can cut the sexual tension in multiple Elf male scenes with a knife.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dizzy's tits bro......Dizzy's tits.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#44]
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/08/31/after-telling-critics-to-shut-the-f-up-morfydd-clark-now-claims-she-was-surprised-by-galadriels-depiction-in-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power/

After Telling Critics To "Shut The F*** Up," Morfydd Clark Now Claims She Was Surprised By Galadriel's Depiction In 'The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power'
John F. Trent
August 31, 2022
Television

Morfydd Clark, who plays Galadriel in the upcoming Prime Video series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, is now claiming she was surprised by the depiction of Galadriel in the show after previously telling critics to "shut the f*** up."

Clark demanded silence of critics of the series when she posted to her Instagram Stories earlier this month, "Anyone sending hate to my black cast mates, get off my page, get off the internet, and shut up."

She then shared a short video of her castmate, Charles Edwards as Celebrimbor, making a hand motion that reveals the phrase "Shut the f*** up."

Clark would seemingly ask in a caption below the video, "Who made this?"

In a recent interview with ComicBook.com, Clark revealed she was surprised about the changes the series is making to Galadriel based off what she had read about the character in The Lord of the Rings and seen portrayed in the films.

She told the outlet, "It definitely surprised me because I thought I was a fan. I'd read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, seen the films, but I had no idea about the First and Second Age.

However, it appears she might not have actually read anything about Galadriel and how she was depicted in the First and Second Ages as she continued, "I think it's really interesting that she is so conflicted and going through so much because I feel the people in my life who ended up the most kind of chill and serene as Galadriel  have usually been through a lot."

She added, "It was interesting to work with the opposites, you know? How far can she go from what we know she will become?"

She further provided more information about Galadriel and her interactions with Men in the series saying, "I think she's interestingly out of touch and separated from them, but also sees herself as a guardian."

"She wants them to be safe and protected but also doesn't understand how men exist. She is an Elf alone in many regards, and that was interesting to explore because I think so much of the power of all the characters in Middle-earth comes from their community and she's somewhat at odds with that," she asserted.

As noted by YouTuber The One Ring, the depictions of Galadriel as shown in the series' trailers is "not anything Tolkien ever wrote."

Speaking specifically to Galadriel and a clip of her indicating she's going to avenge her brother's death he says, "First of all, if she's talking about Finrod Felagund, her brother, who was with Beren and was killed by Sauron's werewolves, this is not how it would have happened."

"Her whole line that she is there to avenge his death has no basis in anything Tolkien wrote," he continues. "She was with Melian, the Maia, in Doriath, and didn't spend her time avenging the deaths of her brothers. She spent her time essentially trying to evade the doom of the Valar because she took part in the kinslaying at Alqualond ."

"So for her to be in this role of avenger is nothing that can be pointed back to what Tolkien wrote. It's just not there," he asserts.

He also points to a line Clark delivers as Prime Video's warped version of Galadriel where she says, "Not fate, nor destiny. Ours was the work of something greater."

The One Ring comments, "That makes her sound like Gandalf when Gandalf would speak of things happening with greater purpose, which is a call to the will of Iluvatar, the god of Arda, the god of E , god of the whole universe, and how he wills, he works things to happen."

"She is running from the doom spoken over her, and for the longest time she could not face it until The Fellowship of the Ring when Frodo offers her the ring and she says I passed the test, I will diminish and go into the West and remain Galadriel," he continues.

In fact, Tolkien wrote in Letter 246 a draft to Mrs. Eileen Elgar that Galadriel would not be leading soldiers in battle or would attempt to combat Sauron in single combat if she fell to the ring's temptation and attempted to supplant him.

He explained, "In any case Elrond or Galadriel would have proceeded in the policy now adopted by Sauron: they would have built up an empire with great and absolutely subservient generals and armies and engines of war, until they could challenge Sauron and destroy him by force. Confrontation of Sauron alone, unaided, self to self was not contemplated."

Tolkien also wrote in Letter 320 to Mrs. Ruth Austin, "I was particularly interested in your remarks about Galadriel.  . I think it is true that I owe much of this character to Christian and Catholic teaching and imagination about Mary, but actually Galadriel was a penitent: in her youth a leader in the rebellion against the Valar (the angelic guardians)."

"At the end of the First Age she proudly refused forgiveness or permission to return. She was pardoned because of her resistance to the final and overwhelming temptation to take the Ring for herself," he adds.

He further detailed in Letter 353 to Lord Halsbury, "Galadriel was 'unstained': she had committed no evil deeds. She was an enemy of F anor. She did not reach Middle-earth with the other Noldor, but independently. Her reasons for desiring to go to Middle-earth were legitimate, and she would have been permitted to depart, but for the misfortune that before she set out the revolt of F anor broke out, and she became involved in the desperate measures of Manw , and the ban on all emigration."

What do you make of Morfydd Clark's recent comments about Galadriel and her surprise about how she is depicted in The Rings of Power?
View Quote
She told the outlet, "It definitely surprised me because I thought I was a fan. I'd read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, seen the films, but I had no idea about the First and Second Age.

However, it appears she might not have actually read anything about Galadriel and how she was depicted in the First and Second Ages as she continued, "I think it's really interesting that she is so conflicted and going through so much because I feel the people in my life who ended up the most kind of chill and serene as Galadriel  have usually been through a lot."

She added, "It was interesting to work with the opposites, you know? How far can she go from what we know she will become?"

Her complete comment from the original source:
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-powers-galadriel-morfydd-clark-surprised/
"It definitely surprised me because I thought I was a fan," Clark says. "I'd read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, seen the films, but I had no idea about the First and Second Age. That was really kind of exciting to kind of learn all this extra stuff about this world that I loved. I think it's really interesting that she is so conflicted and going through so much because I feel the people in my life who ended up the most kind of chill and serene as Galadriel  have usually been through a lot. It was interesting to work with the opposites, you know? How far can she go from what we know she will become?"
You're going to be acting in a billion dollar production as the tentpole character and you can't even BOTHER to read the source material well enough to comprehend it?

This is quite possibly worse than when that happened with that dingbat actor/actress who couldn't be bothered to read dune even though they were in the recent movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that wasn’t a good example.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#46]
The amazon review link, for when that starts to drop:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QHCPD34/?content-id=amzn1.sym.d4073a1d-a5b7-43aa-914a-c9066b9ba7c8

Metacritic has it at about 71

Rotten tomatoes holding at 83

(this is with no fan reviews yet)
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

So 465 million for initial production and marketing, and then close to 300 million for additional marketing and re-shoots?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought the orcs were the diversity
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just finished the 1st episode.  Even if you can manage to ignore the woke nonsense,  this show is worse then I feared it would be.

The story sucks, the acting sucks, the music sucks, and the characters suck.

I'm debating if I will try episode 2 or not.
View Quote

@VA-gunnut

While it's fresh in your mind, what sticks out the most?

Highlights? Lowlights?

Initial first watch impressions beyond "bad" ?
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top