Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just finished the 1st episode.  Even if you can manage to ignore the woke nonsense,  this show is worse then I feared it would be.

The story sucks, the acting sucks, the music sucks, and the characters suck.

I'm debating if I will try episode 2 or not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't think some people fully appreciate what it means for a company to spend $715M on a single season of a TV show.

Comparatively speaking, it'd be like a studio spending $1.3 BILLION on a single movie.

To spend that much is astonishing, but to spend that much and have the finished product STILL be a steaming pile of shit is the type of historically mind boggling fuck up that college courses should be taught on.
View Quote

As was pointed out, they gave $715M to....these guys
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4259881/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4260438/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I made it about 20 minutes before giving up.

There was a token obese female teenage hobbit, though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Gary of nerdrotic channel's review dropped:

The Rings of Power REVIEW | An Absolute DISASTER

#theringsofpower #amazon #lotronprime
The Rings of Power REVIEW | An Absolute DISASTER
Streamed live 21 hours ago

Interestingly, It shows having streamed live 21 hours ago, and this is the first time I have seen it (I do not have an account for YT).

ETA1:

"This is intersectional feminism, the tv show"

Garret: "this is written by somebody who just graduated high school"

Gary:  "guyladriel is on a quest for vengeance, gil-galad acts like a moron, elrond is effeminate, celibrimbor(sp) is like a soap opera actor, bronwyn (our harad activist) she gets a bloody kill, ... "

guyladriel is put on a ship with her troops to go to valinor and she's not allowed to enter, they are hundreds of miles from other land and she just ... jumps off the ship and swims back.

"I'm getting a vibe of std" (star trek discovery-flash)
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't watch it but can I safely assume it being an epic "police academy 2" ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dizzy's tits bro......Dizzy's tits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best comparison I have is what Paul Verhoeven did to Starship Troopers.   Why Hollywood writers and directors think they can improve on literary genius escapes me.

…and yet, I love that movie.

They were dizz-apointing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Livestream watch party:

PREMIERE LIVE WATCH: The Rings of Power with Purple, Salty, Prophet & Nathan

I expect amazon will try and get it DMCA'ed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best comparison I have is what Paul Verhoeven did to Starship Troopers.   Why Hollywood writers and directors think they can improve on literary genius escapes me.

…and yet, I love that movie.

What cracked me up the most about that "so bad it's good" film was the fact that they're in a war where millions of people are dying and yet they put operations on hold to hold a funeral a Lieutenant's piece of ass.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
@ about 48 minutes in on the nerdrotic stream gary gives a gross alert:

Says that they had a child actor playing young galadriel, like 10 or 12, and he hoped they had the kid in a bodysuit, because her dress was see-through and he had to avert his eyes from the screen, and his comment is that he doesn't avert his eyes for anything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@ about 48 minutes in on the nerdrotic stream gary gives a gross alert:

Says that they had a child actor playing young galadriel, like 10 or 12, and he hoped they had the kid in a bodysuit, because her dress was see-through and he had to avert his eyes from the screen, and his comment is that he doesn't avert his eyes for anything.
View Quote

I was watching it earlier and got to that part.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
https://nypost.com/2022/09/01/rings-of-power-actress-i-needed-therapy-to-survive-violent-scenes/

‘Rings of Power’ actress: ‘I needed therapy to survive violent scenes’
By Erin Keller
September 1, 2022 4:25pm Updated

If you can’t beat ’em, train with ’em.

“The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” star Morfydd Clark revealed the intense way she prepared for her role as Galadriel — an ethereal warrior elf that was played by Cate Blanchett in the films.

“When I was playing Galadriel, the stunt team said, ‘You’ve got a problem because you’re used to being attacked on film,’” she told Empire about adjusting to J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth fantasy world.

“I would flinch a lot when people came at me. So they did exposure therapy with me, where I would have all these huge, huge men running at me, screaming with swords. To stop me from looking frightened. Because I’ve definitely been cast as the victim. And Galadriel is not that,” she explained.

The 33-year-old’s “Rings” role is different from the types of jobs she usually books. Clark is most recognizable for portraying a traumatized nurse in “Saint Maud” but has always been a fan of Tolkien’s franchise — even if she didn’t realize she was auditioning for it right away.

“The first [audition], I didn’t know what I was auditioning for,” Clark recalled. “The actress next to me looked over all sneaky and was like, ‘Do you know what this is for? It’s “Lord of the Rings.”‘ And I’m forever grateful to her,” she declared.

“I went into the toilet and just stared at myself and was like, ‘You’ve gotta pull yourself together. You’ve been training for this for years,'” Clark said of her audition. “‘You know what to do, it’s in your blood.’ Because I’d been obsessively watching ‘Lord of the Rings’ for my whole childhood.”

The series is set thousands of years before the original films and features new, diverse characters that are meant to modernize the series.

The Amazon Prime series was a personal venture to CEO Jeff Bezos, who is a longtime fan of the franchise. He passed that passion down to his son, who Bezos said gave him some advice on the show.

“He looked me in the eyes, very sincerely, and he said: ‘Dad, please don’t eff this up,’” Bezos shared at the series premiere in London on Tuesday,

The first two episodes of “The Rings of Power” are now streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I intended to watch the first two, just to see if it was as bad as predicted, so here's some main points;

-Music is distractingly out of place, and at times unintentionally comical.

-Dialog has no subtlety. Acting is wooden, and lacks any weight. Dramatic scenes end up feeling awkward and boring.

-The whole story so far is uninteresting. It feels like they tried to shoe-horn in a "message" so hard, that this feels like generic fantasy. It's like someone filmed a poorly written DnD campaign. They spent two episodes "world building" and achieved very little, if anything.

-They've completely ignored the racial and cultural differences of basically any of the various humans at the time. It's like they read a one-paragraph summary of Middle-Earth during the first and second age, then wrote an entire seasons worth of scripts from it. It makes them feel overly homogeneous, completely ignoring the vast distances involved. The sense of scale is completely lost, and everyone feels like they're part of the same muddy dark-age society.

-The Dwarves are downright insulting in how they are portrayed, and important background in regards to their physiology and culture has been completely ignored.

-We still haven't seen any of Numenor. There's a shot at the end of episode 2, that I suspect is a Numenorean ship, but I'm sure they'll fuck that up too.

This whole show is either an elaborate money-laundering/tax scheme, or it is one of the greatest wastes of entertainment budget in modern times.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What cracked me up the most about that "so bad it's good" film was the fact that they're in a war where millions of people are dying and yet they put operations on hold to hold a funeral a Lieutenant's piece of ass.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/1AAB462D-1D18-4BBD-BC44-69FB04305AB8_jpe-2511491.JPG
View Quote
I watched the first two episodes.  It's literally just like Starship Troopers.  It's actually entertaining so long as you don't pretend it has anything, and I mean anything to do with the source material.  If they changed the character and place names, they could return the $250 million to Tolkien's family and not get sued for copyright infringement at all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think some people fully appreciate what it means for a company to spend $715M on a single season of a TV show.

Comparatively speaking, it'd be like a studio spending $1.3 BILLION on a single movie.

To spend that much is astonishing, but to spend that much and have the finished product STILL be a steaming pile of shit is the type of historically mind boggling fuck up that college courses should be taught on.

As was pointed out, they gave $715M to....these guys
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4259881/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4260438/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

Holy shit. These two guys will go down as two of the biggest scammers in the entertainment industry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Completely serious synopsis time.  

Episodes I & II: The Greatest Adventure Dungeons and Dragons Campaign

Click To View Spoiler
Episodes I & II: The Greatest Adventure Dungeons and Dragons Campaign Part Deux

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

You actually make it sound interesting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

ROFL!

Dude, you almost made me CHOKE on my bagel!

YOU HAVE BEEN NOMINATED

To be the ARF hatewatcher for all of ROP ... and you must only sum it up the way you summed those up.

Who will second the nomination?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:19:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote
Holy shit this is better than the episodes. Please do more. Fuck you should get some friends together and YouTube it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ROFL!

Dude, you almost made me CHOKE on my bagel!

YOU HAVE BEEN NOMINATED

To be the ARF hatewatcher for all of ROP ... and you must only sum it up the way you summed those up.

Who will second the nomination?
View Quote

I second the nomination.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:47:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does the story suck?  I’ll wait to see if I should waste my time.
View Quote

The show begins some time after the War of Wrath. The Years of the Trees and all the struggles and tragedies of the 1st Age are glossed over with a few action scenes and lines of dialogue. Galadriel’s invitation to return to Valinor had nothing to do with the fact that she did not participate in the kinslaying, but rather, for a completely made up reason. I could go on and on, but ultimately the show is unwatchable if you’ve read the Silmarillion or Book of Lost Tales.

If you liked Brendan Frasier’s “The Mummy,” you might like it. Rings of power is action-driven. It’s written for ADHD attention spans and the dialogue is pure cheddar.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The show begins some time after the War of Wrath. The Years of the Trees and all the struggles and tragedies of the 1st Age are glossed over with a few action scenes and lines of dialogue. Galadriel’s invitation to return to Valinor had nothing to do with the fact that she did not participate in the kinslaying, but rather, for a completely made up reason. I could go on and on, but ultimately the show is unwatchable if you’ve read the Silmarillion or Book of Lost Tales.

If you liked Brendan Frasier’s “The Mummy,” you might like it. Rings of power is action-driven. It’s written for ADHD attention spans and the dialogue is pure cheddar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the story suck?  I’ll wait to see if I should waste my time.

I find that extremely difficult to believe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#25]

lol, 3 hours later and audience score is down to 45%. I'd screen cap it but dont feel like fussing w/that right now.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any shenanigans w/the audience poll numbers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol, 3 hours later and audience score is down to 45%. I'd screen cap it but dont feel like fussing w/that right now.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any shenanigans w/the audience poll numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

38% now.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#27]
It was very painful to watch.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#28]
It appears Amazon turned off the star rating system for the show.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

38% now.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

38% now.

Kharn

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#30]
First one was slow, second got better.  Overall, not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#31]

The 83% critics score is based on a grand total of 4 reviews from people I have never heard of that write for publications I didn't know existed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Holy shit this is better than the episodes. Please do more. Fuck you should get some friends together and YouTube it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

2nd'd!!  ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#33]
The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Episodes 1 & 2 - Review
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Critical Drinker                                            
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#35]
HeelsvsBabyface …Az
BORED of the Rings: The Rings of Power Episode 1 is a Massive SNOOOOOOOOZEFEST!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Made it almost half way through. The beginning part when they are hunting for Sauron was actually getting interesting.

Then it just went to shit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Mam!

If they did a series of the Icewind Dale Trilogy & all the rest of the Drizzt lore! I would be in Heaven!.... that was my middle school, high school, first years in the Marines... love those book!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the movie is fantastic

Starship Troopers - Deceptively Smart Satire
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#43]
For comparison She Hulk got 5.1 on IMDB Thor Love and Thunder got 6.7 on IMDB, 79% on Google and She Hulk got 61% on Google
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Damn, she hulk got a better audience rating
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#45]
45 min in and it's not terrible.  Slow but most shows are their first epp.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
HeelsvsBabyface …Az https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiKgI4N3NxE
View Quote

That thumbnail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Was there ever really a chance that it could be any other way? It's fucking Amazon, for Christ's sake.
View Quote

Terminal list came out pretty good with minimal diversity hires.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#48]
2 hours out of 8...and nothing has happened.
Galadriel has invincible Plot Armor.
Elrond can't remember birthdays
Gil Galad is a smarmy politician(all the elves have unpleasantly Hollywood "motivations")
Knife Ears got lost in a tunnel.
Mary Sue beheaded a goblin to show those men!
Space Wizard is the Big Reveal!
Serial child endangerer Norrie is a Fool of a Took.
New Zealanders remain the ugliest race on the planet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#49]
They are really pushing the adverts hard on this.

I have ads for it on my smart TV start up menu and on my NVIDIA Shield's home screen even.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Clear indicators of where the other $300 million went...

"Oy! You critics! Write us a glowing, positive review and YOU get a million dollars, and YOU get a million dollars, and YOU..."

Oprah Bezos
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top