Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't the PC crowd have an issue with the Orcs and Goblins in the earlier movies?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should make a WWII TV series and make Hitler black.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Didn't the PC crowd have an issue with the Orcs and Goblins in the earlier movies?
View Quote

The idea of even a fictional race being inhrently evil does bother them, and they took that out on D&D.   Went after ... IIRC the mindflayers?  Can't have fictional baddies. Nope, no sir.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
New trailer just came out:

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power – Teaser Trailer | Prime Video

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m not going to bother getting mad that made up beings are even more made up.
View Quote

Lol...not going to get worked up over that. It's a fantasy for crying out loud.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely not watching this woke shit.

I've never really been in to medieval fantasy, but I do remember liking the LOTR movies back in the day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone should do an animated version of the Silmarillion and stay completely true to the book............it would sell
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Please don't remind me...
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Loved the LOTR and Hobbit movies.

Ill give it a chance but I saw what wokeness did to Star Wars and they had unlimited cash to throw at that one too.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLoZI-FOYA
View Quote

What did you think of the last terminator movie?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Definitely not watching this woke shit.

I've never really been in to medieval fantasy, but I do remember liking the LOTR movies back in the day.
View Quote

https://archive.org/details/tlotrunabridged

Fan made audiobook of the book, dramatized, I have been listening to it and so far it is very good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#12]
That looks terrible
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLoZI-FOYA

Woke Fate?

Never saw it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Woke Fate?

Never saw it.
View Quote

Yes.
Me neither
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I stopped watching cartoons. That is a cartoon. Grow up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Trailer doesnt look that bad.  

I think if JRR was alive, he'd have no problem with diversity in visual adaptations of his books.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think if JRR was alive, he'd have no problem with diversity in visual adaptations of his books.
View Quote

I don’t think you understand why they’re doing it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
The Drinker has spoken...

The Rings of Power - War For A Fandom
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I stopped watching cartoons. That is a cartoon. Grow up.
View Quote

... this adaptation may be.

The silmarillion, absolutely not.

Tell us you've never read it without telling us youv'e never read it.

That's like saying homers works are for kids, or the grittier earlier versions of king arthur are stupid stuff for children.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Are those orcs?

I am confused.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tolkien was self-consciously writing a fiction for england and the anglo saxon world as a medievalist.

Also – and here I hope I shall not sound absurd – I was from early days grieved by the poverty of my own beloved country: it had no stories of its own (bound up with its tongue and soil), not of the quality that I sought, and found (as an ingredient) in legends of other lands. There was Greek, and Celtic, and Romance, Germanic, Scandinavian, and Finnish (which greatly affected me); but nothing English, save impoverished chap-book stuff. Of course there was and is all the Arthurian world, but powerful as it is, it is imperfectly naturalized, associated with the soil of Britain but not with English; and does not replace what I felt to be missing. For one thing its 'faerie' is too lavish, and fantastical, incoherent and repetitive. For another and more important thing: it is involved in, and explicitly contains the Christian religion.

For reasons which I will not elaborate, that seems to me fatal. Myth and fairy-story must, as all art, reflect and contain in solution elements of moral and religious truth (or error), but not explicit, not in the known form of the primary 'real' world. (I am speaking, of course, of our present situation, not of ancient pagan, pre-Christian days. And I will not repeat what I tried to say in my essay, which you read.)

Do not laugh! But once upon a time (my crest has long since fallen) I had a mind to make a body of more or less connected legend, ranging from the large and cosmogonic, to the level of romantic fairy-story-the larger founded on the lesser in contact with the earth, the lesser drawing splendour from the vast backcloths – which I could dedicate simply to: to England; to my country. It should possess the tone and quality that I desired, somewhat cool and clear, be redolent of our 'air' (the clime and soil of the North West, meaning Britain and the hither parts of Europe: not Italy or the Aegean, still less the East), and, while possessing (if I could achieve it) the fair elusive beauty that some call Celtic (though it is rarely found in genuine ancient Celtic things), it should be 'high', purged of the gross, and fit for the more adult mind of a land long now steeped in poetry. I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama. Absurd.

https://www.tolkienestate.com/en/writing/letters/letter-milton-waldman.html

I doubt the showrunners and writers of this show, much less the actors, are even capable of reading and understanding the above. Even less chance that they'd follow it.  Hollywood rejects the above, quite viciously.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can someone show me exactly what a middle Earth elf looks like?
View Quote

The white pretty ones are Elves.  The black not pretty ones are Orcs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]
LOTR had a lot of diversity

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#24]
There are plenty of ways Amazon could have introduced diversity into the series that would have been in keeping with the original lore but they decided to go full woke muh inclusivity.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tolkien was self-consciously writing a fiction for england and the anglo saxon world as a medievalist.

Also – and here I hope I shall not sound absurd – I was from early days grieved by the poverty of my own beloved country: it had no stories of its own (bound up with its tongue and soil), not of the quality that I sought, and found (as an ingredient) in legends of other lands. There was Greek, and Celtic, and Romance, Germanic, Scandinavian, and Finnish (which greatly affected me); but nothing English, save impoverished chap-book stuff. Of course there was and is all the Arthurian world, but powerful as it is, it is imperfectly naturalized, associated with the soil of Britain but not with English; and does not replace what I felt to be missing. For one thing its 'faerie' is too lavish, and fantastical, incoherent and repetitive. For another and more important thing: it is involved in, and explicitly contains the Christian religion.

For reasons which I will not elaborate, that seems to me fatal. Myth and fairy-story must, as all art, reflect and contain in solution elements of moral and religious truth (or error), but not explicit, not in the known form of the primary 'real' world. (I am speaking, of course, of our present situation, not of ancient pagan, pre-Christian days. And I will not repeat what I tried to say in my essay, which you read.)

Do not laugh! But once upon a time (my crest has long since fallen) I had a mind to make a body of more or less connected legend, ranging from the large and cosmogonic, to the level of romantic fairy-story-the larger founded on the lesser in contact with the earth, the lesser drawing splendour from the vast backcloths – which I could dedicate simply to: to England; to my country. It should possess the tone and quality that I desired, somewhat cool and clear, be redolent of our 'air' (the clime and soil of the North West, meaning Britain and the hither parts of Europe: not Italy or the Aegean, still less the East), and, while possessing (if I could achieve it) the fair elusive beauty that some call Celtic (though it is rarely found in genuine ancient Celtic things), it should be 'high', purged of the gross, and fit for the more adult mind of a land long now steeped in poetry. I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama. Absurd.

I doubt the showrunners and writers of this show, much less the actors, are even capable of reading and understanding the above. Much less that they'd follow it.  Hollywood rejects the above, quite viciously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt the showrunners and writers of this show, much less the actors, are even capable of reading and understanding the above. Much less that they'd follow it.  Hollywood rejects the above, quite viciously.

I understand your assertion and what JRR wrote during his time.  I'm saying that if he was alive now...and in this time...I think he'd have no problem with the insertion of diversity in tv/movie adaptations of his books.  I just dont see him objecting to having non-whites play characters in his stories if he were alive today.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, I don't think we should forget that England was not in a vacuum during the Anglo-Saxon and Medieval periods. They hadn't been left alone since Claudius showed up with an army in 43AD, and had certainly been on the trade routes between Northern Europe and Southern Europe at that point. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that the Hobbits represented the Celts, and all the newer groups that showed up in turn (the Romans, then the Angles-Saxon-Jutes, then the Normans) were seen as "other", and the English certainly had enough contact with the outside world between trade, then the Crusades, then the various wars on the Continent in the Middle Ages they found themselves engaged in, most notably the Hundred Years War. And there have been at least a few blacks in England since the Romans showed up thanks to England's place as an island market and the trading network that extended to Africa.

So if it was the intention of the makers of this tv show that each group be visually signified by a single race (e.g. blacks are Dwarfs, Arabs are Esterlings, Hispanic are Elven, etc.) that would be one thing. Of course, the intentions of the producers are something entirely different.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, LOTR will be remembered for many years to come.
GOT's memes don't even get posted anymore, and it ended LESS than 3 years ago.

Hollyweird would look at Tolkien's words above and go:
1) No mention of a StrongTM female protagonist or 3? Bigot.
2) Where are all the morally bankrupt protagonists and supporting characters with anxiety?
3) Where's the ConflictedTM shades-of-grey badguy that's not a badguy but does bad guy things but he has a daughter, she's sick, makes it okay for him to break the law?
4) Dystopia setting that reminds them of the depressing city the writers live in
5) Everyone in the past was dumb. Only the new wokesters have a story worth telling.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I understand your assertion and what JRR wrote during his time.  I'm saying that if he was alive now...and in this time...I think he'd have no problem with the insertion of diversity in tv/movie adaptations of his books.  I just dont see him objecting to having non-whites play characters in his stories if he were alive today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might if his conception of Middle Earth as an analog of Europe in the Middle Ages is taken into account. There weren't a whole lot of black Jews in Eastern Europe/the Dwarven Kingdoms in the Middle Earth he was thinking of.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sure, people who live underground in caves are notorious for melanin production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is now apparently what elves and dwarfs look like in Middle-earth.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/27CBC2B6-C3FD-4990-B234-33E772EB1F19_jpe-2278331.JPG

Sure, people who live underground in caves are notorious for melanin production.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That was actually the plot point for that one.  Good try though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was actually the plot point for that one.  Good try though.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#31]
gay
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
He wrote non whites into his stories. Instead of utilizing the lore that he wrote and expanding on it they're shoe-horning "diversity" into other roles.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gonna fail and they will question why.
View Quote
They'll just blame all of us racists
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If we go by what the guy who actually created that world wrote then something like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/CED7DF16-207A-4A79-ACDC-C74736034DA4_jpe-2278347.JPG
View Quote
Dark elves are a thing in fictional lore. After all it's a fucking fantasy so let's not get carried away with the dramatics.

People get a boner (including me) over the 3 titty woman in total recal. No one really goes all die hard SHOW ME A 3 TITTY WOMAN!

Interestingly enough if the woke side looks up the lore of dark elves they might rewrite that as well.

"Dark elves are known for their aggression, deceit, and stealth. They are very brutal and cruel by nature, having little mercy when it comes to cheating, battling, or anything dealing with the life of another being. They have little respect for even their own kind, at times waging war against each other."

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you mean, would the man be a racist? I doubt it.

Which would definitively put a barrier between him and the racists that run under the flag of intersectionalism and critical theory as applied to race, and their useful idiots. But than, if we're going to do what if, we can what-if ourselves into anything and to anywhere we want to.

Also, again: he was writing it as a mythology of england and north europe, and he was a medievalist.

To me, race has nothing to do with it, because there's one race: human. The sticking point is the fact that hollywood is (intentionally and with racist hatred in their hearts) trashing the source they are using. They are intentionally putting forth the irrational idea of multiple races and playing favorites within that sick construct.

If tolkein had written a similar work about mansa musa and his country and those cultures, hollywood would go absolutely berzerk if someone did to that what they are doing here. They're not trying to be inclusive. They intend to destroy what they (wrongly) think is not theirs, and cannot represent them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They can bastardize it all they want... doesn't mean I have to watch it.  I'll happily just watch the original trilogy or read the books.  No matter how hard they want to they can't erase history lol.
View Quote
They don't have rights to anything from the "original trilogy".  This is several thousand years before anything in the Lord of the Rings.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm not going to bother getting mad that made up beings are even more made up.
View Quote
no the problem is they took something that had been well defined and altered it to be diverse,shitting on the writer and stories to be woke

if they wanted to just make something up they could have just made up their own world and done as they please
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No beard, no want.

Witcher did it better
View Quote
Yeah, they had cornrows.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

2) Where are all the morally bankrupt protagonists and supporting characters with anxiety?
3) Where's the ConflictedTM shades-of-grey badguy that's not a badguy but does bad guy things but he has a daughter, she's sick, makes it okay for him to break the law?
4) Dystopia setting that reminds them of the depressing city the writers live in
5) Everyone in the past was dumb. Only the new wokesters have a story worth telling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a middle school child I would have (rightly) laughed at point one. Eowyn!

2: the orks and urak-hai. Duh. :D

point 3:saruman, sans having daughter

4) that'd be mordor. Osgiliath, post-corruption fits it to a T.

Yeah ... point 5 just outright doesn't fit. It's rampantly childish.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fan made audiobook of the book, dramatized, I have been listening to it and so far it is very good.
View Quote

Downloading. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dark elves are a thing in fictional lore. After all it's a fucking fantasy so let's not get carried away with the dramatics.

People get a boner (including me) over the 3 titty woman in total recal. No one really goes all die hard SHOW ME A 3 TITTY WOMAN!

Interestingly enough if the woke side looks up the lore of dark elves they might rewrite that as well.

"Dark elves are known for their aggression, deceit, and stealth. They are very brutal and cruel by nature, having little mercy when it comes to cheating, battling, or anything dealing with the life of another being. They have little respect for even their own kind, at times waging war against each other."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we go by what the guy who actually created that world wrote then something like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/CED7DF16-207A-4A79-ACDC-C74736034DA4_jpe-2278347.JPG

Someone asked "can someone show me exactly what a middle Earth elf looks like" so I posted a pic of what "a middle Earth elf" looks like according to the person who created Middle-earth elves.  I have no idea how any reasonable person could view that as "getting carried away with the dramatics," but okay.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://archive.org/details/the-hobbit-bluefax

That one is really good too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

You, sir, are a gentlemen save a scholar.

I'm going to be several GB lighter because of it. I'm very ok with that.

Got a decent road trip coming up on Tuesday. Guess what I'll be listening to?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair warning.

The song the dwarves sing in bilbo's house is very well executed. It just may give you goosebumps and make your beard grow.

ETA: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=martin+shaw+silmarillion&t=ffsb&ia=web

Unabridged silmarillion. Seems it's on audible and some streaming services. 13 cd set.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I think we need to remake Zulu Dawn with the Zulu warriors replaced with Asian and Hispanic actors!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fair warning.

The song the dwarves sing in bilbo's house is very well executed. It just may give you goosebumps and make your beard grow.

Unabridged silmarillion. Seems it's on audible and some streaming services. 13 cd set.
View Quote

Sounds great!

Any links to the Silmarillion?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The very same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The black kid on South Park?

The very same.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course he would. LOTR was based on European myths. He was very particular.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sounds great!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair warning.

Sounds great!

None free that I know of (Legit anyhow).

If you hit up the ETA link you can find some ways to get it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Can someone show me exactly what a middle Earth elf looks like?
View Quote

Lol
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top