BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same shit with Wheel of Diversity. Take something cool and flat out ruin it.

View Quote

They take over a story with a large, loyal fan base and inject their SJW/LGBTQ narrative into and assume the fans will gobble it up because it says “LOTR” or “Star Wars” in the title. They are shocked each time when the fan base rejects it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They take over a story with a large, loyal fan base and inject their SJW/LGBTQ narrative into and assume the fans will gobble it up because it says “LOTR” or “Star Wars” in the title. They are shocked each time when the fan base rejects it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point I wonder if they are shocked or even remotely surprised.

The  snotty "you're racist if you don't accept our obvious racism" response came out so fast it was almost like they had already written it and just expected to put it out with the first few infodumps they did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#3]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

None free that I know of (Legit anyhow).

If you hit up the ETA link you can find some ways to get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair warning.

The song the dwarves sing in bilbo's house is very well executed. It just may give you goosebumps and make your beard grow.

ETA: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=martin+shaw+silmarillion&t=ffsb&ia=web

Unabridged silmarillion. Seems it's on audible and some streaming services. 13 cd set.

Sounds great!

Any links to the Silmarillion?

None free that I know of (Legit anyhow).

If you hit up the ETA link you can find some ways to get it.

Get it while it lasts....

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Based on the insatiable appetite for fantasy content (i.e. GOT, Witcher, Dark Material, Shadow and Bone, etc..), I think this series will be extremely popular.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm over having that shit shoes down my throat.

Who here liked the half time show?

If you enjoyed that, you'll love this LOTR & the next Lord of the rings. The story fucking ended. Ship set sail, story fuckin over.

I hate the NFL handball sucks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Eddie Redmayne should star in remake of Othello as Othello.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Tolkien is probably rolling in his Barrow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:11:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope they lose millions.

Won't be a drop in the bucket
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:23:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The show runners only wrote Star Trek Discovery before this.
View Quote

Lol it was those retards? What a storm of buttfucks this will be.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope it bombs.

Amazon losing cash makes me happy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I would have much rather seen a sneak peek of the Blade Runner series that Amazon is working on with Ridley Scott.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tolkien created the LOTR world as a mythology for one that didn't exist for the British Isles.  All of his characters reflected this.  The "diversity" imposed in this is like having Caucasian Samurai or Incas or Zulu.
View Quote

This is just payback for Al Jolson.

Except they should all be wearing clown white on their faces.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Been watching this train wreck for a while.

I'm not the world's biggest Tolkien superfan but I've enjoyed his works and know yet another act of cultural vandalism when I see it.

The Drinker's video has already been posted. Nothing else needs added.

Quoted:

Lol...not going to get worked up over that. It's a fantasy for crying out loud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m not going to bother getting mad that made up beings are even more made up.

Lol...not going to get worked up over that. It's a fantasy for crying out loud.

The chorus of the normie.

It's okay you don't get it. There's a lot of you out there. That's why you're normies.

Just leave us weirdos alone with our weird shit and go make your own normie shit instead of trying to "adapt" and "modernize" our weird shit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:04:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The show runners only wrote Star Trek Discovery before this.

Quite likely very literally.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#17]
E-racers aside, what’s this prequel actually about?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't watch it, that's how we vote. I stopped watching
"woke" tv long ago.
The only thing I watch is Tucker Carlson to have a laugh at the idiots, and that's it.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:22:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't the PC crowd have an issue with the Orcs and Goblins in the earlier movies?
View Quote

Yes.  They saw orcs and immediately thought "those are black people".
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#21]
The market will ultimately decide it's fate and I'm sure there will be much gnashing of teeth as a result. I'm looking forward to it's release. Tolkien would be pleased that his works are living on for future generations, albeit in a different medium.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:27:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And there have been at least a few blacks in England since the Romans showed up thanks to England's place as an island market and the trading network that extended to Africa.

View Quote

That's a pretty big historical error on your part.  "Africans" in the Roman Empire were not black, except for a tiny handful of extremely expensive exotic slaves.  The Romans never conquered any significant population of blacks, as even the part of Northern Sudan they did briefly occupy was inhabited by semitic  people at the time.  Ironically, the Romans never got involved in large-scale slave importation since they typically enslaved conquered people and often had a surplus.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#23]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:33:51 AM EDT
[#24]
“Can we come up with the novel Tolkien never wrote and do it as the mega-event series that could only happen now?”

‘After news broke that Amazon had hired an intimacy coordinator for its New Zealand set, some fans feared that the production might have lost sight of what makes Tolkien Tolkien.’

‘One original story line centers on a silvan elf named Arondir, played by Ismael Cruz Córdova, who will be the first person of color to play an elf onscreen in a Tolkien project. He is involved in a forbidden relationship with Bronwyn, a human village healer played by Nazanin Boniadi, a British actor of Iranian heritage. Elsewhere, a Brit of Jamaican descent, Sir Lenny Henry, plays a harfoot elder, and Sophia Nomvete has a scene-stealing role as a dwarven princess named Disa—the latter being the first Black woman to play a dwarf in a Lord of the Rings movie, as well as the first female dwarf. “It felt only natural to us that an adaptation of Tolkien’s work would reflect what the world actually looks like,” says Lindsey Weber, executive producer of the series. “Tolkien is for everyone. His stories are about his fictional races doing their best work when they leave the isolation of their own cultures and come together.”’

Seriously, fuck these people, destroying someone else’s art in the name of their political dogma.

No. Clicks. Given.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've seen a lot of dumb shit on ARFCOM over the years but, this is definitely among them. Congrats!

To tell you how bad this looks compared to known Tolkien canon, I won't even bother pirating it. And I will redistribute Hollywood's wealth at the drop of a hat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The market will ultimately decide it's fate and I'm sure there will be much gnashing of teeth as a result. I'm looking forward to it's release. Tolkien would be pleased that his works are living on for future generations, albeit in a different medium.

I've seen a lot of dumb shit on ARFCOM over the years but, this is definitely among them. Congrats!

To tell you how bad this looks compared to known Tolkien canon, I won't even bother pirating it. And I will redistribute Hollywood's wealth at the drop of a hat.

Here’s one that is arguably worse:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-465M-Lord-of-the-Rings-TV-show-gets-diverse-on-Amazon/5-2530273/?page=3#i97297823
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s one that is arguably worse:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-465M-Lord-of-the-Rings-TV-show-gets-diverse-on-Amazon/5-2530273/?page=3#i97297823

Attachment Attached File

Fuckin' normies...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Galadriel’s world is a raging sea. Far from the wise, ethereal elven queen that Cate Blanchett brought to Peter Jackson’s acclaimed films, the Galadriel played by Morfydd Clark in Amazon’s upcoming series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power is thousands of years younger, as angry and brash as she is clever, and certain that evil is looming closer than anyone realizes. By episode two, her warnings set her adrift, literally and figuratively, until she’s struggling for survival on a raft in the storm-swept Sundering Seas alongside a mortal castaway named Halbrand (Charlie Vickers), who is a new character introduced in the show. Galadriel is fighting for the future; Halbrand is running from the past. Their entwined destinies are just two of the stories woven together for a TV series that, if it works, could become a global phenomenon. If it falls short, it could become a cautionary tale for anyone who, to quote J.R.R. Tolkien, delves too greedily and too deep.

Just as Tolkien entrusted his quest to Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee, Amazon chose two unlikely newcomers. McKay and Payne are high school friends from northern Virginia who have been writing in Hollywood together for 13 years. The Rings of Power is their first credited IMDB listing. They know—it’s astounding to them too. “We’ve worked on so many projects with so many awesome and exciting people that never got made or worked on things that did get made and we didn’t get credit,” says McKay. “We were a little bit of a dark horse. And Amazon talked to absolutely everybody—whoever had any idea for Lord of the Rings.” Adds Payne: “We were passionate about the material and had a take that matched Amazon’s appetites and ambition.” They also apparently had a significant champion in J.J. Abrams, who knew them from their writing on a Star Trek movie and reportedly sang their praises.

There was one leak in 2019 that, however innocuous, worried some of those watching from afar. The show’s resident Tolkien scholar—a widely respected academic named Tom Shippey—gave an apparently unsanctioned interview to a German fan site that July, opining on what the show could and could not explore. Not long after that, Shippey was no longer involved with the series. Both he and the showrunners decline to say what exactly happened, but the obvious assumption was made by fans. “It seems like the NDA is basically ‘If you tell anyone, we can put you through a wood chipper,’?” says Drout, the Tolkien professor. Amazon no longer shares the names of its scholars.

After news broke that Amazon had hired an intimacy coordinator for its New Zealand set, some fans feared that the production might have lost sight of what makes Tolkien Tolkien. “My worry would be if it becomes a Game of Thrones in the Second Age,” says Dimitra Fimi, a Tolkien scholar and lecturer at the University of Glasgow. “That wouldn’t be what one would associate with Tolkien’s vision. It would also be derivative.” So will there be Westerosi levels of violence and sex in Amazon’s Middle-earth? In short, no. McKay says the goal was “to make a show for everyone, for kids who are 11, 12, and 13, even though sometimes they might have to pull the blanket up over their eyes if it’s a little too scary. We talked about the tone in Tolkien’s books. This is material that is sometimes scary—and sometimes very intense, sometimes quite political, sometimes quite sophisticated—but it’s also heartwarming and life-affirming and optimistic. It’s about friendship and it’s about brotherhood and underdogs overcoming great darkness.”

Translation: We're going to go pg-13 and push it as close to r-rated as we possibly can.

Speaking of Sauron, the villain’s presence is a major factor throughout the Second Age, culminating in his resurrection as a tyrant. As the show begins, there are only hints of the danger to come. Some see them clearly; others don’t necessarily want to. Bayona drew from his memories growing up in Spain, a country still recovering from a civil war decades before he was born. “We had a dictatorship for 40 years, so you notice the repercussions of war and the shadow of the past,” he says, noting that “Shadow of the Past” is in fact the title of the first episode. “I think this is all about the repercussions of war. There is an idea that feels very faithful to Tolkien, which is intuition. Galadriel has an intuition that things are not fixed, and there is still something lurking.”

In the novels, the aforementioned things take place over thousands of years, but Payne and McKay have compressed events into a single point in time. It is their biggest deviation from the text, and they know it’s a big swing. “We talked with the Tolkien estate,” says Payne. “If you are true to the exact letter of the law, you are going to be telling a story in which your human characters are dying off every season because you’re jumping 200 years in time, and then you’re not meeting really big, important canon characters until season four. Look, there might be some fans who want us to do a documentary of Middle-earth, but we’re going to tell one story that unites all these things.”

There it is. The acorn seed that will grow into the titanic oak tree of changes, changes, everywhere, and not for good reasons, not for story, definitely not to bring the book to visual format.

https://archive.is/20220210193532/https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/amazon-the-rings-of-power-series-first-look

It gets tiring to see this repeat over and over.

Off to get EAC and my cds of the silmarillion so I can listen to it again.

View Quote

Thanks for the detailed post. IOW- they didn’t read any of the books, and fired the one guy who did.   100% Woke.    Oh Lawd!  Dem Rangs!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow. I think reading this gave me an aneurysm.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Trailer doesnt look that bad.  

I think if JRR was alive, he'd have no problem with diversity in visual adaptations of his books.
View Quote

All of the books were packed with diversity.  The Goblins and Orks were described in detail.  Swarthy and Dark Mischievous fellows they were.  Iirc, some of the invading hordes from the East were described in a way that made them sound like they were vaguely Indian/Pakistan-ish or maybe African. They rode Elephonts.  The Trilogy movies were very well done, if you are even the slightest bit interested.  Or, you could actually read the books.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They should make a WWII TV series and make Hitler black.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Based on the insatiable appetite for fantasy content (i.e. GOT, Witcher, Dark Material, Shadow and Bone, etc..), I think this series will be extremely popular.
View Quote

People unfamiliar with the source material will probably support it. Casual fans may or may not depending on how woke it ends up being. Those familiar with the source content will undoubtedly reject it for not following the material.

I don't know anything about GoT other than their big selling point to casual fans was "TITTIES!".  I don't think anyone but the die hard fans would complain about anything they did that strayed from the source material because of that.

I was worried about Netflix's adaptation of the Witcher, but it wasn't bad.  They did their diversity hiring crap with it, but Yen was close enough.  The others (apart from Triss) were secondary characters that didn't get a ton of screen time.  It helped having a lead who was big into the lore and had enough notoriety to at least try to keep them mostly on track.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#33]

ugh

Tolkiens description of the appearances of the natives of M.E. was quite detailed.  

I think I'll be sitting this one out.  

I wish that the studios would realize that people just don't care about their woke bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Will they wield their swords sideways?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was a dumpster fire just like this will surely be.  Watched one episode and turned it off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Diversity means less White people.

It is antiwhite propaganda created specifically because it is a piece of European artwork that appeals to White people who see in the work a reflection of the sufferings of their own nations under a Sauron like corruption.
View Quote

By in large all this anti white propaganda is driven by white people.  It’s quite interesting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/the_message_jpg-2278948.JPG

Exactly. It's about The Message. Everything else is just a backdrop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Progressive re-imagining of other people's work is little more than the modern version of book burning.

Stop feeding the beast.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't watch it, that's how we vote.

View Quote

Haven’t seen the bazillion page NFL thread, or the twenty Super Bowl half time threads?

If you’re counting on conservatives to mount an effective “don’t watch” boycott, you’re going to be sorely disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bridgeton is another one. We wuz kangz
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That was a dumpster fire just like this will surely be.  Watched one episode and turned it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a steely tolerance for shitty film entertainment. I made it four episodes. I would just as soon go back and
watch Marvel's Inhumans before watching another episode of that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#42]
There were dark skinned people in the LOTR, the Haradrim, descended from the Men of Hildórien (in the first age), so it's not like there are no black people in Tolkien's work.  I somehow doubt the writers of this new hot garbage were smart enough to weave this into the story.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Yeah and they cast that little runt as Jack Reacher which was even more unbelievable.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#44]
They’re going to lose a fuckton of money on this.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#45]
And in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fly
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tolkien would gave been horrified.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There were dark skinned people in the LOTR, the Haradrim, descended from the Men of Hildórien (in the first age), so it's not like there are no black people in Tolkien's work.  I somehow doubt the writers of this new hot garbage were smart enough to weave this into the story.
View Quote

I always thought the Haradrim were Middle Eastern types?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's a pretty big historical error on your part.  "Africans" in the Roman Empire were not black, except for a tiny handful of extremely expensive exotic slaves.  The Romans never conquered any significant population of blacks, as even the part of Northern Sudan they did briefly occupy was inhabited by semitic  people at the time.  Ironically, the Romans never got involved in large-scale slave importation since they typically enslaved conquered people and often had a surplus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there have been at least a few blacks in England since the Romans showed up thanks to England's place as an island market and the trading network that extended to Africa.

There are historical accounts of sub-Saharan Africans being among the trading crews that were in the British Isles as far back as the Roman days. The Romans might not have gone that far south, but the Egyptians did and it isn't like some of them couldn't go North. It was never more than a handful, but they did exist and made it to Britain, even if just to crew ships and trade.

There was even a community of blacks in England in the Tudor period. Obviously, this is a bit later than the Anglo-Saxon era, but there is a pretty good book on the subject Black Tudors by Miranda Kaufmann
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The people of Far Harad are described as black-skinned, but there is also a group of them described as "black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues" and "troll-men".

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tolkien is probably rolling in his Barrow.
View Quote

Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top