Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh please, all that potential and they made this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Final attempt at this.
Click To View Spoiler

Oh please, all that potential and they made this?

They had to put this proverbial train back on the tracks first, imho, which this movie accomplished pretty spectacularly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Harrison Ford nets $34 million for his role in The Force Awakens.
His salary is more than 76 times greater than that of British newcomers Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

They
received £300,000 ($450,000 US) each for their starring roles in the movie, which
opened in UK cinemas on Thursday. However, once worldwide box-office
takings have topped the $1 billion mark, the pair will also start to
receive a small cut.

A
Disney source explained: ‘Harrison is the key to making this movie
work. He’s the link between the old generation and the new. Mark Hamill
and Carrie Fisher were good to get, but the film could have lived
without them. You couldn’t make it without Harrison Ford.’

Ford
was paid just under £7,000 when he first played Han Solo in the
original 1977 Star Wars film. This time around, he has already had a
payout of over £1 million in compensation for breaking his leg during
shooting at Pinewood Studios.

Although
their earnings are eclipsed by Ford, Londoners Miss Ridley and Mr
Boyega, both 23, are said to have had no hesitation signing up.

American J.
J. Abrams, 49, was paid £3.3 million to direct the film, plus a two per
cent share of gross earnings. Disney paid just over $4 billion to buy
Lucas Films, which make Star Wars, three years ago.

Carrie Fisher, 59, was paid just over £1 million to bring back Princess Leia.

She signed away her image rights early in her association with Star Wars, meaning she misses out on merchandise revenues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3367360/Harrison-Ford-nets-23m-Star-Wars-s-76-times-newcomer-Daisy-Ridley.html

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got back, my whole family thought it was great.  They definitely got the magic back that defined the first three.  Also to the poster asking about his 6yr old we took my 5 year old who is a huge SW freak and there was only one part where he was a little scared.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Old Han is definitely better than old Indy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

His salary is more than 76 times greater than that of British newcomers Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

They received £300,000 ($450,000 US) each for their starring roles in the movie, which opened in UK cinemas on Thursday. However, once worldwide box-office takings have topped the $1 billion mark, the pair will also start to receive a small cut.

A Disney source explained: ‘Harrison is the key to making this movie work. He’s the link between the old generation and the new. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were good to get, but the film could have lived without them. You couldn’t make it without Harrison Ford.’

Ford was paid just under £7,000 when he first played Han Solo in the original 1977 Star Wars film. This time around, he has already had a payout of over £1 million in compensation for breaking his leg during shooting at Pinewood Studios.

Although their earnings are eclipsed by Ford, Londoners Miss Ridley and Mr Boyega, both 23, are said to have had no hesitation signing up.

American J. J. Abrams, 49, was paid £3.3 million to direct the film, plus a two per cent share of gross earnings. Disney paid just over $4 billion to buy Lucas Films, which make Star Wars, three years ago.

She signed away her image rights early in her association with Star Wars, meaning she misses out on merchandise revenues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3367360/Harrison-Ford-nets-23m-Star-Wars-s-76-times-newcomer-Daisy-Ridley.html  
View Quote

I want to know how much Mark made for his role in this movie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Would you say this is the most "violent" movie? Seems like a lot of up close blaster shots. Head shots. The blood smear. A village slaughter. Han getting the shish kabob. 3 or 4 planets getting scorched. Chewie was getting his blaster on. The light saber battle with multiple wounds inflicted. X wings and tie fighters hitting ground forces.

It was great action and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They received £300,000 ($450,000 US) each for their starring roles in the movie, which opened in UK cinemas on Thursday. However, once worldwide box-office takings have topped the $1 billion mark, the pair will also start to receive a small cut.
A Disney source explained: ‘Harrison is the key to making this movie work. He’s the link between the old generation and the new. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were good to get, but the film could have lived without them. You couldn’t make it without Harrison Ford.’
Ford was paid just under £7,000 when he first played Han Solo in the original 1977 Star Wars film. This time around, he has already had a payout of over £1 million in compensation for breaking his leg during shooting at Pinewood Studios.
Although their earnings are eclipsed by Ford, Londoners Miss Ridley and Mr Boyega, both 23, are said to have had no hesitation signing up.
American J. J. Abrams, 49, was paid £3.3 million to direct the film, plus a two per cent share of gross earnings. Disney paid just over $4 billion to buy Lucas Films, which make Star Wars, three years ago.

Considering the fact that it looks like he'll have a HUGE presence in the next movie, as in the whole story revolves around him, I'm guessing he made a boat load.

I can't see him getting killed off quickly, if at all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No Disney is going to hold you down and gang rape the shit out of your childhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should just stop.

Really.

No Disney is going to hold you down and gang rape the shit out of your childhood.

Wrong. That's going to be "Point Break" on Christmas day. Lube up bruh.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Luke has to die so that he can tell Rey to use the force.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should just stop.

Really.

Of all the movies that don't need a remake, Point Break is at the top of the list.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really liked it even though it does have some problems. There is hardly any character development, there are a couple of plot holes, the map being a huge one.

BB8 really struggled in getting you emotionally involved where R2-D2 never had that problem.

I really liked Kylo, that dude just oozes evil. Easily the best character in whole show.
View Quote

R2-D2 and BB8 are both like dogs.  Always loyal and have different personalities.  I think they are both pretty good in the saga.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe I don't need the spoiler tag, but maybe I do.
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

My bet is it will be in VIII
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Of all the movies that don't need a remake, Point Break is at the top of the list.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should just stop.

Really.

Bladerunner 2 is coming.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw it tonight. I was going to wait until Tuesday and let the crowds die down but couldn't help it. And I was really surprised by how few people were in the theater. It's small town WV, but I worked at the theater when Episode 2 and 3 came out and they sold out every show the first few days. Anyway, the movie gets a solid 8/10 from me. The plots a little rehashed, but I felt like a kid when the text started scrolling at the beginning. My almost four year old is begging me to take him, but I'm kinda torn. He's watched the originals, but I'm thinking he may be a bit too young yet for this one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Bladerunner 2 is coming.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should just stop.

Really.

Bladerunner 2 is coming.

Don't get depressed, soon we'll have the next epic chapter in the Ghostbusters series!!

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Went to the 10:45pm showing tonight.
Not very crowded. But Thats what I was hoping for, by going to the last showing of the evening.

I thought the movie was terrific. The cgi was just enough to make it work. The spacecraft were convincing in how they
appeared and flew.

The banter between Han and Chewy was funny, as always.
I liked all the new characters, even if the movie was going for a PC audience.
Finn, referring to himself, as "a big deal", and Han calling him that afterwards a few times, reminds of working in the shop, and
some new guy yaps off, and gets hung with a nickname like that.

Kylo Ren was cool. I liked how he was a bit of a loose cannon, who overplayed his hand. I'm sure he'll wise up soon enough. I thought Driver did a great job.
Rey was a fighter, and had the technical know how, from living in a "rough neighborhood".

I didn't like the lack of originality, that the story had. As many have pointed out, it seemed "A New Hope 2.0" in many ways.
But I still liked it ... a lot.

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) The Force Awakens (I could almost put it #1)
4) Return of the Jedi
5, 6, 7, Prequels .... I dont even consider those steaming turds as Star Wars movies.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Saw it today on Camp Arifjan, after waiting in line for 2.5 hours to get a seat.  It paid off though, as I was fourth row center.  I'm a huge fan and give it a 8.5/10.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Would you say this is the most "violent" movie? Seems like a lot of up close blaster shots. Head shots. The blood smear. A village slaughter. Han getting the shish kabob. 3 or 4 planets getting scorched. Chewie was getting his blaster on. The light saber battle with multiple wounds inflicted. X wings and tie fighters hitting ground forces.

View Quote

By far.

Loved how they emphasized how powerful the bowcaster is

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Saw it today on Camp Arifjan, after waiting in line for 2.5 hours to get a seat.  It paid off though, as I was fourth row center.  I'm a huge fan and give it a 8.5/10.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Questioned the same thing...what happens next?

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' brings in a record $238 million at US, Canadian theaters through Sunday, Disney says - @Reuters

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' weekend ticket sales estimated at $517 million globally, Disney says - @Reuters

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well it certainly has the highest body count in cinema history with countless billions being killed.  I also think you may be right with the small scale stuff.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Next, they use a few drops from a big ball of red liquid to create black holes within planets.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Its like sex, there is a lot of work and prep to get those two shots off. But when you do its the best 7 seconds..
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]

I don't think most of those are plot holes, just things that haven't been explained yet.  There is not one single movie in the saga that doesn't leave things unexplained which is part of the charm imho.  It's good marketing to keep fans guessing in order to stay relevant between movies.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should just stop.

Really.

Actually, now that the movie is out....

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#28]

I liked it.

It didn't suck, which for me, was the biggest thing.

I was afraid it was going to be like Mad Max: Fury Road where everyone was gah gah over it, yet it sucked giant donkey dick.

The movie was good, I'd call it a 8 out of 10.

I was surprised how long it was.  

Whoever the faggot that posted the spoiler to GD, may a million fucks be upon you.  Sucked to know what was going to happen.

Funny that there were both dudes from Ex Machina in the movie, the Poe and the second in command dude.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

That was my take as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I was afraid it was going to be like Mad Max: Fury Road where everyone was gah gah over it, yet it sucked giant donkey dick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't even get me started on that POS. I was sitting in the theater with my head cocked to the side, confused, for half of the movie thinking "THIS is what everybody is fapping over?"

Funny that there were both dudes from Ex Machina in the movie, the Poe and the second in command dude.
I KNEW I recognized Poe from somewhere!

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't even get me started on that POS. I was sitting in the theater with my head cocked to the side, confused, for half of the movie thinking "THIS is what everybody is fapping over?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, my wife and I were all, "I know that dude!"

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#32]
just saw, it was fucking great, its got to be in the top three for best SW film

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Chewy 38 yrs later..

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#34]

His eyes got closer together.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hairline from his nose up completely changed.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like somebody gave him a comb. Possibly some styling gel
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And removed a few bones from his brow.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Harrison Ford needs to go up to Will Smith and say "Big assistance franchise reboot paycheck fist bump!"  Oh wait-never mind.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Those lines are lifted from Return of the Jedi.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Wasn't a bad film. Sure shows how much a director an change the look and feel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Saw it last night in 3D and loved it.  Just bought a ticket for IMAX Wednesday morning to love it again.

ETA - I see a "director's cut" DVD being released before the next movie comes out that fills in some of the questions.  How many more $20 DVD's will go flying off the shelves if there are more Luke lines, more of this Snoke guy, and maybe some background on how Anakin's / Luke's lightsaber ended up in a box in the basement of some dive bar.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Lupita Nyong'o Was incredible as Maz.  Holy crap that was impressive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I really liked it even though it does have some problems. There is hardly any character development, there are a couple of plot holes, the map being a huge one.

BB8 really struggled in getting you emotionally involved where R2-D2 never had that problem.

I really liked Kylo, that dude just oozes evil. Easily the best character in whole show.
View Quote
That's because R2 was 1st. If there never was an R2 or 3PO....BB8 would be a fan favorite.

No one wants to see R2 replaced and thats what BB8 felt like...R2's replacement...

Kinda like...If your mom died and dad remarried....you'd struggle getting emotionally involved with the step mom too.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

A lot of trailers were made & released to throw us off...the movie was probably the biggest guarded secret of all hollywood/disney time.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That's because R2 was 1st. If there never was an R2 or 3PO....BB8 would be a fan favorite.

No one wants to see R2 replaced and thats what BB8 felt like...R2's replacement...

Kinda like...If your mom died and dad remarried....you'd struggle getting emotionally involved with the step mom too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually like BB8 better than R2.

Still gonna be a sad day though when that blue-headed trash can gets killed off

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Kinda funny...............I have read articles that Ford didn't really care for the role of Han Solo. If you think about it, Han Solo and Decker from Blade Runner are roles that made him, along with American Graffiti

But I don't think the movie would have been good without Ford, Fisher or Hamill

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Saw it tonight. I was going to wait until Tuesday and let the crowds die down but couldn't help it. And I was really surprised by how few people were in the theater. It's small town WV, but I worked at the theater when Episode 2 and 3 came out and they sold out every show the first few days. Anyway, the movie gets a solid 8/10 from me. The plots a little rehashed, but I felt like a kid when the text started scrolling at the beginning. My almost four year old is begging me to take him, but I'm kinda torn. He's watched the originals, but I'm thinking he may be a bit too young yet for this one.
View Quote

Lots of empty seats here as well. Then again, it was showing on like half the screens in the complex, with a showing starting 20 minutes after ours did.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#49]
All the theaters around me sold out the 1st few shows...........I will have to wait a few days to see it here...........the crowds and repeat moviegoers are still legion

Quoted:

Lots of empty seats here as well. Then again, it was showing on like half the screens in the complex, with a showing starting 20 minutes after ours did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Lupita Nyong'o Was incredible as Maz.  Holy crap that was impressive.
View Quote

+1. She was excellent, even taking into account that Maz was done via motion capture.

Likewise, Andy Serkis was awesome as Supreme Leader Snokes, another one done via motion capture.

{Ahnold} Kylo Ren is one ugly motherfucker. {/Ahnold}

Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top